PDA

View Full Version : Vanessa Bryant sues helicopter company for deaths

ArbitraryWater
02-24-2020, 03:59 PM
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28773196/vanessa-bryant-sues-helicopter-company-deaths

The widow of Kobe Bryant has sued the owner of the helicopter that crashed in fog and killed her husband and their 13-year-old daughter last month.

The wrongful death lawsuit filed by Vanessa Bryant in Los Angeles says the pilot, Ara Zobayan, was careless and negligent by flying in cloudy conditions on Jan. 26 and should have aborted the flight. Zobayan was among the nine people killed in the crash.

The 27-count complaint against Island Express Helicopters and Island Express Holding Corp. seeks unspecified compensatory and punitive damages. The company issued a statement on Jan. 30 on its website saying the shock of the crash had prompted it to suspend service until it was appropriate for staff and customers.

The lawsuit asserts that Zobayan was negligent in eight different ways, including failing to properly assess the weather, flying into conditions he wasn't cleared for and failing to control the helicopter.

yikes :confusedshrug:

taabhimself
02-24-2020, 04:26 PM
why did they not link to the complaint? terrible journalism.

coin24
02-24-2020, 04:35 PM
As she should..

FreezingTsmoove
02-24-2020, 04:50 PM
There are other families involved in the crash who deserve compensation. I dont see a problem with this

FireDavidKahn
02-24-2020, 04:56 PM
As she should..

If she can prove that the pilot shouldn't have been flying or there was inadequate training, then absolutely. But if the company had properly trained the pilot and there were no "red flags" then I don't know how the company would be at fault.

I get the need to want to blame someone but IF the company did everything to the T and the pilot just didn't follow protocol then is that the fault of the company?

*I have not heard nor done any digging into this to know if anything is known yet.

Smook A.
02-24-2020, 04:59 PM
I don’t like how she’s suing the pilot’s estate too. That’s just unnecessary

sundog67
02-24-2020, 05:00 PM
It's worth mentioning that the pilot was disciplined in 2015 for an FAA violation related to flying in reduced visibility.

No judgement from me, however repeat offenders usually don't get the benefit of doubt...

EDIT: FWIW, these types of lawsuits are also the only way new rules get implemented by something like the FAA. Without legal and judicial precedence, there's little reason for that the FAA change its policies on IFR, ground detection instruments, etc. NTSB has been lobbying for many of these changes for the better part of a decade. Without that, there's little reason for a company like Island Express to outfit their vehicles with new expensive equipment.

ElPigto
02-24-2020, 05:11 PM

Lawyers man, they sue everything and everyone. Doubt she called the lawyers and said, go after that man's estate.

Kblaze8855
02-24-2020, 05:12 PM
How shook is a company like this to go to jury trial against the widow of Kobe in a court in California right now? Whatever she wants...its gonna get settled. Im sure it will somehow end up in the hands of the other peoples family.

FireDavidKahn
02-24-2020, 05:20 PM
How shook is a company like this to go to jury trial against the widow of Kobe in a court in California right now? Whatever she wants...its gonna get settled. Im sure it will somehow end up in the hands of the other peoples family.

Ya, 0 chance they could find an impartial jury.

taabhimself
02-24-2020, 07:01 PM

that's just how it works. you can't sue a dead person, only their estate. if he has liability then his estate foots the bill. it's fair, think about a drunk driver who gets into a wreck and kills himself and another driver. shouldn't the estate of the not-at-fault party be able to recover?

also before the actual assets of the pilot's estate are touched any CGL policies that respond will have to be exhausted. as far as i know he was an independent contractor so there are likely at least two (his and the company's). given the nature of the work they probably have fat liability limits, too.

taabhimself
02-24-2020, 07:02 PM
There are other families involved in the crash who deserve compensation. I dont see a problem with this

believe me, the estates of the other passengers will be intervening in this lawsuit if they didn't sue as co-plaintiffs.

RoseCity07
02-24-2020, 07:03 PM
She needs to do this to force some saftey standards in that industry. I hope she gives the money to the other families.

taabhimself
02-24-2020, 07:05 PM
If she can prove that the pilot shouldn't have been flying or there was inadequate training, then absolutely. But if the company had properly trained the pilot and there were no "red flags" then I don't know how the company would be at fault.

I get the need to want to blame someone but IF the company did everything to the T and the pilot just didn't follow protocol then is that the fault of the company?

*I have not heard nor done any digging into this to know if anything is known yet.

that will be hashed out in litigation. though there are vicarious liability issues to deal with too (liability imputed to an employer for the wrongful acts of an employee). though i believe i read the pilot was an independent contractor and principals aren't typically liable for torts of independent contractors absent a few exceptions (one being inherently dangerous activities which while unlikely could possibly be applicable, would have to dig into cali case law). at any rate, it remains to be seen who will ultimately foot the bill here. likely a handful of insurance companies.

LostCause
02-24-2020, 07:15 PM
As she should. People speaking out about this are absolute morons who clearly don't understand this matter

It won't be too bad for them. The company itself will just go down then rebrand and resurface. They won't have too many assets tied into the company itself and it seems like they've already started distancing it

FireDavidKahn
02-24-2020, 07:23 PM
She needs to do this to force some saftey standards in that industry. I hope she gives the money to the other families.

LOL....Implying there aren't any.

Kblaze8855
02-24-2020, 07:25 PM
Well yea you know how much insurance you must have for a private helicopter company that caters to millionaires in LA? The insurance will end up paying them I assume.

taabhimself
02-24-2020, 07:45 PM
Well yea you know how much insurance you must have for a private helicopter company that caters to millionaires in LA? The insurance will end up paying them I assume.

yep. the pilot and company probably have separate policies, too. so the insurance companies will end up jockeying for position.

scuzzy
02-24-2020, 07:58 PM

What industry lol? The whopping .001% populace breaking bread to get chopper commute for kids soccer practice? :oldlol:

Those damn Black Hawk airbags man, no gyro stabilizer? terrain sensors? somethin gotta change b :facepalm

Jasper
02-24-2020, 08:00 PM
could be he was instructed to get there by mamba ???

Back In Shape
02-24-2020, 08:17 PM

Mamba Mentality

L8krH8tr
02-24-2020, 08:45 PM
Out of all the hot chicks he could have married he had to choose some Gold digging Mexican Tranny.

Seriously she looks like a Latina tranny here in Socal or Brazil.

Smoke117
02-24-2020, 11:08 PM
lol what a joke. The pilot obviously felt pressured because it was Kobe to even fly in the first place.

3ball
02-24-2020, 11:16 PM
There was no engine failure

And even though there was no visibility, it's not like the helicopter crashed into the side of a mountain that the pilot couldn't see..

the helicopter simply started a downward spiral and crashed, which doesn't seem to have anything to do with visibility.

I'm interested to know what caused it to suddenly crash without any engine failure.. again, not sure how bad visibility causes a helicopter to "bank left" and crash.

Im so nba'd out
02-24-2020, 11:30 PM

And even though there was no visibility, it's not like the helicopter crashed into the side of a mountain that the pilot couldn't see..

the helicopter simply started a downward spiral and crashed, which doesn't seem to have anything to do with visibility.

I'm interested to know what caused it to suddenly crash without any engine failure.. again, not sure how bad visibility causes a helicopter to "bank left" and crash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9gxaRxmOdE

That piece of shit knew he couldnt see.Wtf are people so comfortable in helicopters and planes...you should never be so comfortable that you think you can fly blind.WTF are they flying people in an out of date helicopter that doesn't even have a terrain warning system....unbelievable

Nah, they need to pay, **** them.Glad she sued them pieces of shit.These billion-dollar companies cut corners all the time with maintenance and dont give a flying fk about the lives they ruin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXRYOedboag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPHtof6tHKE&t=3s

I could also post dozens and dozens of videos of sky crashes killing everyone on board because of companies cutting corners or the pilots not being trained right but allowed to flight aircrafts with hundreds of people on board....WTF are you letting people who just started flying professionally,let them fly commercial airliners @ 22 or 24 years old.....get the fk up out of here with that bs.They cant rent a car but can fly a plane

Sue these mfs Vanessa! Get every fking dollar u can out of them.Cause thats all they care about anyway

3ball
02-24-2020, 11:35 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9gxaRxmOdE

That piece of shit knew he couldnt see.Wtf are people so comfortable in helpciopters and planes...you should never be so comfortable that you think you can fly blind.WTF are they flying people in an out of date helicopter that doesn't even have a terrain warning system....unbelievable

Nah, they need to pay, **** them.Glad she sued them pieces of shit.These billion dollar companies cut corners all the time with maintenance and dont give a flying fk about the lives they ruin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXRYOedboag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPHtof6tHKE&t=3s

I could also post dozens and dozens of videos of sky crashes killing everyone on board because of companies cutting corners or the pilots not being trained right but allowed to flight aircrafts with hundreds of people on board....

Sue these mfs Vanessa! Get every fking dollar u can out of them.Cause thats all they care about anyway
Pilot error apparently.. Probably scared to tell Kobe that it wasn't safe to fly

Im so nba'd out
02-24-2020, 11:42 PM
Pilot error apparently.. Probably scared to tell Kobe that it wasn't safe to fly

You can sue a company for the pilot's mistake.Just like i could sue the police department/city for a rogue officer

People literally do it every single plane crash

3ball
02-24-2020, 11:44 PM
this is a possibility:

https://www.vox.com/2015/3/26/8294971/pilot-suicide-crash

regardless of visibility, the pilot should have instruments in the helicopter that indicate whether he's flying sideways/into the ground

it's a remote possibility, but not impossible

Doranku
02-24-2020, 11:46 PM

Helicopter pilot Kurt Deetz said he flew Bryant dozens of times over a two-year period ending in 2017, often to games at Staples Center, and never remembered the Lakers star or his assistants pressing him to fly in bad weather.

“There was never any pressure Kobe put on any pilot to get somewhere — never, never,” Deetz said. “I think he really understood professionalism. `You do your job. I trust you.’”

Doesn't seem like something Kobe would do, especially with all of the children on board.

Im so nba'd out
02-24-2020, 11:48 PM
this is a possibility:

https://www.vox.com/2015/3/26/8294971/pilot-suicide-crash

regardless of visibility, the pilot should have instruments in the helicopter that indicate whether he's flying sideways/into the ground

it's a remote possibility, but not impossible

He was a coward or idiot who was way too comfortable flying.

Doubt he did it intentional.He wouldnt have been communicating with the people over the radio if that was his intention all along....He's just an idiot who didnt understand the seriousness of the situation + probably a coward afraid to tell kobe "look its not safe and im not flying in this shit.You have to drive the rest of the way"

People really dont understand how stupid/careless some of these pilots are...Some of you muthafukas are way,way, WAY too comfortable having your life in other people's hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1kPAWVI5UA

These are pilots....

konex
02-25-2020, 12:00 AM
She has to sue if only to establish that Kobe’s estate isn’t responsible

DoctorP
02-25-2020, 12:02 AM
very sad :(

iamgine
02-25-2020, 12:20 AM
This is normal and expected.

dreamwarrior
02-25-2020, 03:31 AM
to file the lawsuit on the day of the memorial is pretty savage. that's to basically say FU to the pilot and his family. i get it. it's totally his fault. the company wasn't allowed to fly on instruments, but the pilot did it anyway, which was illegal even if he was instrument rated.

ArbitraryWater
02-25-2020, 09:49 AM
What industry lol? The whopping .001% populace breaking bread to get chopper commute for kids soccer practice? :oldlol:

Those damn Black Hawk airbags man, no gyro stabilizer? terrain sensors? somethin gotta change b :facepalm

Lmao.

Fact she's suing the pilot estate is just sad

lol what a joke. The pilot obviously felt pressured because it was Kobe to even fly in the first place.

prolly.

people lose all sense because they dont want to feel confrontational about this bitch move

Kiddlovesnets
02-25-2020, 12:01 PM
Of course she sued, stupid helicopter company that cost Kobe's life deserves to be punished.

LostCause
02-25-2020, 12:43 PM
This is normal and expected.

Exactly

It’s like people have 0 understanding of actual the real world and just want to be shocked and emotional.

There’s nothing wrong with the move. Yal need to get out your feelings and use actual facts and logic here

rawimpact
02-25-2020, 12:48 PM
I know there's a lot of kids on this board which is why we're getting the response we are... but part of being a professional is taking responsibility of YOUR actions. There should be no amount of pressure that should have made that pilot fly other than his own decision. He is the professional, the only one trained to fly and make the correct judgement based on his ability alone.

As far as the lawsuit goes, bad timing but expected.

EDIT: I should also note, I'm sure the pilot has a SIGNIFICANT liability insurance policy in place. Any independent contractor does if they have the least common sense.

Levity
02-25-2020, 12:56 PM
Ya, 0 chance they could find an impartial jury.

defense attorneys are about to be contacting jeff trying to get simon's address.

Bosnian Sajo
02-25-2020, 12:56 PM

God, I hate when people speak without knowledge of the situation.

The LAPD put all of their aircraft units on the ground because of how bad the fog was that day. That helicopter should NOT have been in the air, plain and simple. And even IF they decided to fly (which obviously they did), they should NOT have flown with VFR, instead they should have used IFR because there was no way to fly VFR when you're blinded by the fog.

The lawsuit is 100% justified, and I guarantee she wins the lawsuit.

Bosnian Sajo
02-25-2020, 01:03 PM
LOL....Implying there aren't any.

You're unbelievable uneducated in this topic dude, everything you've posted I've facepalmed at.

Do you know how these aviation regulations are created? The vast majority of regulations are written in blood....meaning there has to be a disaster or crash, death...SOMETHING for them to go and create new regulations.

This is how new regulations are created. Now does she need to sue them in order to create a new regulation? Probably not...however, she's suing because they are responsible for the pilot's actions as he was using their aircraft.

Bosnian Sajo
02-25-2020, 01:06 PM

Uhhh....how about police helicopters, medical/emergency helicopters, coastguard helicopters, helicopters that take people on tours....etc. etc.

Bosnian Sajo
02-25-2020, 01:08 PM

Even if that were the case, as the pilot of the aircraft, you HAVE to take responsibility for your actions. Kobe didn't put a gun to his head and tell him to fly the plane.

If it's not safe to fly, that's that. Idc if you're flying the president, an experienced pilot (even unexperienced) should understand that he his holding the lives of his passengers in his hands when taking them in the air.

Bosnian Sajo
02-25-2020, 01:11 PM

:lol :lol :lol

You ****ing moron, that's exactly what happened.

Norcaliblunt
02-25-2020, 01:19 PM
This tragedy shows us why we need high speed rail in California.

TheMan
02-25-2020, 01:22 PM
defense attorneys are about to be contacting jeff trying to get simon's address.
It's wrong but this post me me laugh.

Behind Vanessa 100%, sue the fukk outta that company.

TheMan
02-25-2020, 01:23 PM
Out of all the hot chicks he could have married he had to choose some Gold digging Mexican Tranny.

Seriously she looks like a Latina tranny here in Socal or Brazil.

Fukk off with this shit hot take

SouBeachTalents
02-25-2020, 01:26 PM
This tragedy shows us why we need high speed rail in California.
That wouldn't have changed the outcome for Kobe. No one that's worth $500 million is taking public transportation

rawimpact
02-25-2020, 01:30 PM
That wouldn't have changed the outcome for Kobe. No one that's worth $500 million is taking public transportation

Hes talking about reducing overall traffic to make the commute for those who drive more efficient.

bigkingsfan
02-25-2020, 01:47 PM
Kobe would have wanted it.