PDA

View Full Version : Kawhi's 2014 FMVP is meaningless

StrongLurk
10-25-2019, 09:39 PM
In regards to his all time rankings. People keep saying "oh he has two FMVPs" as if all FMVPs are equal.

Are people going to tell me that Kawhi's 2014 FMVP is equal to MJ's 91 FMVP or Kobe's 2009 FMVP? Kawhi averaged like 14/7/2 in the 2014 playoffs. Very pedestrian numbers on offense.

If a player gets a "ring" or "fmvp", but they didn't play at an all time great level (Billups in 04, Iggy in 15 as well), then those awards don't help you in the argument of being a top 25 player of all time.

Kawhi might be the best player in the league right now since KD's achilles injury...but he only has one FMVP that matters at all...and even that came while the best player in the league (KD) wasn't playing.

stalkerforlife
10-25-2019, 09:40 PM
No, it isn't.

Thanks for your time, Bransvestite.

Turbo Slayer
10-25-2019, 09:41 PM
OP is right. Not all FMVPs are created equal. Good post, OP. :cheers: :applause:

BallsOut
10-25-2019, 09:42 PM
Defense is half the game buddy. Next thing you're gonna say is Bill Rusell's 11 rings don't count :oldlol:

Spurs m8
10-25-2019, 10:02 PM
If you watched the series, especially the last 3 games, you would understand...you low iq dimwit.

It's more than empty stats, 4he last 3 games he catapulted his team to victory on both ends...and basically shut down the so called GOAT - leroids stats were inflated due to junk time stat padding.

Watch the games and he was clear FMVP...theres no 2 ways about it.

Bron stans must be the most triggered and lowest iq morons out there tbh

SouBeachTalents
10-25-2019, 10:10 PM
If you watched the series, especially the last 3 games, you would understand...you low iq dimwit.

It's more than empty stats, 4he last 3 games he catapulted his team to victory on both ends...and basically shut down the so called GOAT - leroids stats were inflated due to junk time stat padding.

LeBron had his highest scoring quarter in the 1st in 2 of those last 3 games, scoring 14 of his 22 in Game 3 & 17 of his 31 in Game 5. You have no idea what you're talking about

StrongLurk
10-25-2019, 10:12 PM

You completely misunderstood what I said. No surprise.

tpols
10-25-2019, 10:15 PM
its like a reverse kobe...

he was a role player all along.. but sonned an all time great.

FultzNationRISE
10-25-2019, 10:17 PM
In regards to his all time rankings. People keep saying "oh he has two FMVPs" as if all FMVPs are equal.

Are people going to tell me that Kawhi's 2014 FMVP is equal to MJ's 91 FMVP or Kobe's 2009 FMVP? Kawhi averaged like 14/7/2 in the 2014 playoffs. Very pedestrian numbers on offense.

If a player gets a "ring" or "fmvp", but they didn't play at an all time great level (Billups in 04, Iggy in 15 as well), then those awards don't help you in the argument of being a top 25 player of all time.

Kawhi might be the best player in the league right now since KD's achilles injury...but he only has one FMVP that matters at all...and even that came while the best player in the league (KD) wasn't playing.

Can someone post the gif of nic cage laughing for me plz? Ill owe ya one.

Thanks ;)

StrongLurk
10-25-2019, 10:19 PM

he was a role player all along.. but sonned an all time great.

Lebron was better than Kawhi clearly in those finals. Kawhi did play great defense.

Even in the "last 3 games" that the Spurs team dominated, Lebron still had 27/8/5/2/1 on 56/43/78.

StrongLurk
10-25-2019, 10:20 PM
Can someone post the gif of nic cage laughing for me plz? Ill owe ya one.

Thanks ;)

What's wrong with Kobe's 2009 finals MVP? It was his only truly elite finals MVP performance.

knicksman
10-25-2019, 10:30 PM
Youre right not all FMVPs are equal and so are rings. Thats why lebrons rings doesnt have the same weight as kobes rings and what kawhi did last season trumps everything lebron has done in his career.

knicksman
10-25-2019, 10:31 PM
And 2014 just proves that role player kawhi already has more impact than lebron. No wonder lebron needs superteams.

Spurs m8
10-25-2019, 10:32 PM
LeBron had his highest scoring quarter in the 1st in 2 of those last 3 games, scoring 14 of his 22 in Game 3 & 17 of his 31 in Game 5. You have no idea what you're talking about

And where did he go for the rest of those games?

Kawhi TOOK OVER

SouBeachTalents
10-25-2019, 10:34 PM
Because he played well in the Finals?

Spurs m8
10-25-2019, 10:34 PM

You made a silly thread, champ

I have watched the series more times than most here...

He deserved it for more reasons than one.

Theres more to basketball than empty stats

StrongLurk
10-25-2019, 11:09 PM
You made a silly thread, champ

I have watched the series more times than most here...

He deserved it for more reasons than one.

Theres more to basketball than empty stats

You are still misunderstanding :roll:

Show me where I said Kawhi didn't deserve finals MVP for that year?

Also, show me where Kawhi played like a top 25 player of all time in the 2014 playoffs.

Spurs m8
10-25-2019, 11:11 PM
You are still misunderstanding :roll:

Show me where I said Kawhi didn't deserve finals MVP for that year?

Also, show me where Kawhi played like a top 25 player of all time in the 2014 playoffs.

Okay I went back and re read the original post.

I'm am now more stupid

Thank you

StrongLurk
10-25-2019, 11:15 PM

I'm am now more stupid

Thank you

I just remembered, you used to be Kawhi m8 and then melted down over him leaving :roll:

Yikes.

Spurs m8
10-25-2019, 11:22 PM
I just remembered, you used to be Kawhi m8 and then melted down over him leaving :roll:

Yikes.

Gee mate, I'm glad you caught up

Matppak
10-25-2019, 11:35 PM
This post is ****in bananas

Kawhis fmvp in 2014 was a coming out party... the spurs would have still had life in 15, 16 if Tony parker wasn't a lil bitch who was upset he wasnt the guy anymore

Kawhi was in foul trouble early in games 1 and 2 and leads in games 3,4,5 were built off the back of Kawhi

He made boris look like a goat role player that team was struggling until he had mvp level play he stepped up and was taking the game over

How is it every time someone opposite of lebron wins finals mvp but lebron's 3-6 and hes the goat? Something doesn't add up

superduper
10-25-2019, 11:38 PM
When being a statnerd goes wrong

superduper
10-25-2019, 11:40 PM
This post is ****in bananas

Kawhis fmvp in 2014 was a coming out party... the spurs would have still had life in 15, 16 if Tony parker wasn't a lil bitch who was upset he wasnt the guy anymore

Kawhi was in foul trouble early in games 1 and 2 and leads in games 3,4,5 were built off the back of Kawhi

He made boris look like a goat role player that team was struggling until he had mvp level play he stepped up and was taking the game over

How is it every time someone opposite of lebron wins finals mvp but lebron's 3-6 and hes the goat? Something doesn't add up

Stop it. Boris was good.

Matppak
10-25-2019, 11:46 PM
Stop it. Boris was good.

I don't think boris wasnt good.... if he was in shape most of his career he could have been great

But he looked like a genius when Kawhi getting to his spots.. which takes 2 players knowing what there doing

nosfan773
10-26-2019, 01:26 AM
Boris during those 2-3 years was some of the best big man passing ever

Hey Yo
10-26-2019, 01:34 AM

I'm am now more stupid

Thank you
Not possible

FultzNationRISE
10-26-2019, 01:39 AM

This.

SouBeachTalents
10-26-2019, 01:48 AM
Truth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxT10XO2Zfg

https://media2.giphy.com/media/SBtYdHJv16gco/source.gif

ImKobe
10-26-2019, 06:16 AM
How is it meaningless? He played elite defense and averaged 24/9/2/2/2 on 69/54/84 shooting in the 3 straight wins in Miami.

StrongLurk
10-26-2019, 09:27 AM
How is it meaningless? He played elite defense and averaged 24/9/2/2/2 on 69/54/84 shooting in the 3 straight wins in Miami.

Meaningless relative to being a legendary, all time great (aka top 25 player of all time) since he didn't play at that level.

Did you read my OP? How does it not make sense?

Do you think Kawhi in the 2014 finals was as good as Kobe in the 09 finals?

If you think putting up 14/7/2 with great defense over a 20+ game playoff stretch is all time great play then we have hundreds or possibly thousands of "all-time greats".

Hell, Kawhi wasn't even that great in the 2015 season either. He only became a top 10 player or so in 2016.

ImKobe
10-26-2019, 10:26 AM
Meaningless relative to being a legendary, all time great (aka top 25 player of all time) since he didn't play at that level.

Did you read my OP? How does it not make sense?

Do you think Kawhi in the 2014 finals was as good as Kobe in the 09 finals?

If you think putting up 14/7/2 with great defense over a 20+ game playoff stretch is all time great play then we have hundreds or possibly thousands of "all-time greats".

Hell, Kawhi wasn't even that great in the 2015 season either. He only became a top 10 player or so in 2016.

Well Kobe in 01 and 02 didn't win FMVP but played well enough to be one and had the post-season averages, yet people say his 01 and 02 rings don't count the same because he didn't win the award. Curry was easily the best player on his team in the 2015 Finals and didn't win FMVP and played better than most FMVPs in 2017 and 2018 Finals but he doesn't get the same credit for his rings despite clearly producing at an all-time level. Kyrie Irving didn't win FMVP in 2016 but was statistically better than a lot of FMVPs in the past, should he also get more credit for his title?

So are we going to be consistent with this or are we just doing it to hate on Kawhi? Of course his 2014 Finals/Playoff run isn't that legendary but he was the best player in 3 straight wins against the Miami Big 3 and deserves the credit for it. He was highly efficient and played DPOY-level defense.

sdot_thadon
10-26-2019, 10:37 AM
I get what OP is saying, it's not a strong chip to use to justify Kawhi in an all time sense. He was deserving, he played well, however he wasn't the 1st or 2nd, perhaps not even 3rd option on that Spurs team. Meanwhile he also wasn't close to being the team leader either. He was a young role player who had a great finals series. His finals Mvp is as valuable as Parker's(this might be pushing it because Tony was allstar caliber at least) , Iggy or someone like that. You can't walk around acting like he legit led the spurs as the main man.

Rico2016
10-26-2019, 10:49 AM
I get what OP is saying, it's not a strong chip to use to justify Kawhi in an all time sense. He was deserving, he played well, however he wasn't the 1st or 2nd, perhaps not even 3rd option on that Spurs team. Meanwhile he also wasn't close to being the team leader either. He was a young role player who had a great finals series. His finals Mvp is as valuable as Parker's(this might be pushing it because Tony was allstar caliber at least) , Iggy or someone like that. You can't walk around acting like he legit led the spurs as the main man.

+1

Spurs were so stacked that year.

superduper
10-26-2019, 11:02 AM
+1

They were not at all stacked. They just played the epitome of selfless, team-first, opposite of statpadding basketball and executed at an extremely high level for eachother.

Bran and his teams will never understand that because of his selfish style.

k0kakw0rld
10-26-2019, 11:26 AM
KD forfeited that award which happens to be called "best player in the world" when he joined a 73-9 team who already had won and reached the finals multiple times without him.

None of his rings should count. Kawhi won because he was assigned the toughest assignment there was at the time. Not only did he do a great job despite LeBron doing his thing. But he had to work hard for all of his buckets. The same way Iguodala made hom work in 2015 and also managed to produce big time offensively.

ILLsmak
10-26-2019, 12:30 PM

The beat the bejeezus out of them tho. I have vivid memories of kawhi grillin dudes

The 2014 spurs weren't an atg level team but after they decimated their opponent people started acting like they were, so in a way that adds value to his fmvp. The only fmvp that's straight garbage is iggys.

-Smak

STATUTORY
10-26-2019, 12:32 PM
that's like saying Lebron's final appearance in 2007 is meaningless

sdot_thadon
10-26-2019, 12:35 PM
:biggums:

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
10-26-2019, 12:41 PM
Meaningless?

18ppg, good efficiency and GOAT level team defense. That FMVP is legit. And Kawhi was SA's best player in that series.

StrongLurk
10-26-2019, 05:45 PM
Meaningless?

18ppg, good efficiency and GOAT level team defense. That FMVP is legit. And Kawhi was SA's best player in that series.

You didn't read what I posted in the OP or my subsequent posts.

Spurs m8
10-26-2019, 05:55 PM
+1

Jesus, I already knew you were on the spectrum, but not this much hahhhahaha

ArbitraryWater
10-26-2019, 05:56 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aJ2Vh_e2dQ

PickernRoller
10-26-2019, 06:06 PM
Bran stans fear of Kawhi just elevates him more.

I love it.

FromDowntown
10-26-2019, 06:14 PM

Its a strong point for sure. It isnt the most fantastic Finals mvp we can agree on this much.

DoctorP
10-26-2019, 06:15 PM
worst trophy of all time

sdot_thadon
10-26-2019, 06:24 PM
Its a strong point for sure. It isnt the most fantastic Finals mvp we can agree on this much.
To give it an even more clear perspective ask youself: Who in the top 20 or so all time has a lower tier Fmvp run than Kawhi's 2014. It wont really give him an edge over anyone that matters in these discussions to be honest. Again I'm not a big fan of denigrating accomplishments but I can see where Op was going with it.

StrongLurk
10-26-2019, 06:26 PM

Hey, someone who understands. Whadayaknow?

I'm not even hating on Kawhi, just reminding ISH of context and level of play.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
10-26-2019, 06:27 PM
You didn't read what I posted in the OP or my subsequent posts.

My point was aimed right at your OP.

And "subsequent posts".

On an all time scale it isn't meaningless. Its not MJ-esque or whatever but who cares. There are tons of FMVP that weren't on MJ's level.

Kawhi was their best player in THAT series. Period.

StrongLurk
10-26-2019, 08:20 PM
My point was aimed right at your OP.

And "subsequent posts".

On an all time scale it isn't meaningless. Its not MJ-esque or whatever but who cares. There are tons of FMVP that weren't on MJ's level.

Kawhi was their best player in THAT series. Period.

You are too enamored with the FMVP.

There were many players who didn't win a FMVP that played better in the finals than Kawhi did in 2014.

He got hot for three games, big credit to him, but he was still a cog in the Spurs machine (Not like prime Duncan).

I mean you kind of make my point with "it's not MJ-esque"...it's not "anybody esque" of even a top 100 player of all time.

Now 2019 was a different story, Kawhi played like an all time great, win or lose.

SamuraiSWISH
10-27-2019, 02:01 AM
Do they give trophies for appearances?

:eek:

Mr Feeny
10-27-2019, 04:37 AM
+1

Lebron
Wade
Bosh
Allen
Barrier
Chalmers
Anderson
Cole
Haslam

Vs

Baby Kawhi
38 year old Duncan
37 year old Manu
32 year old Parker whose explosivness was non-existent

And yes, Kawhi is better at elevating his teammates. That's why his inferior teammates over performed while Lebron's legends underperformed.

And that is why he won the fMVP.

Spurs m8
10-27-2019, 06:09 AM
Out of sheer interest, OP, who do you think should have won FMVP that year?

And if Kawhi is your answer, and he managed to do that at age 22, with a peakish Lebron as his direct opponent, then what's the issue?

Did he not get enough empty stats?

Manny98
10-27-2019, 06:33 AM
Lebron
Broken down knees Wade
Bosh
39 year old Allen
36 year old Barrier
36 year old Anderson
Chalmers

Vs

Kawhi
38 year old Duncan
37 year old Manu
Parker
Best 3+D player Danny Green
Mills

And yes, Kawhi didn't elevate shit.

He won FMVP because he was on the winning team that's it.
Fixed

Spurs m8
10-27-2019, 06:59 AM
Fixed

Thanks Tranny....Patty Mills was a real game changer!

Mr Feeny
10-27-2019, 07:58 AM
Fixed

Sorry pal. You already admitted that Lebron was 11th all time:lol

superduper
10-27-2019, 08:42 AM
Sorry pal. You already admitted that Lebron was 11th all time:lol

Boom :oldlol:

Lebron6
10-27-2019, 08:54 AM
Boom :oldlol:
:no:

Not all FMVP are created equal tho

k0kakw0rld
10-27-2019, 09:05 AM
worst trophy of all time
Defense is an underappreciated art. When the best player in the world is afraid of you getting back on the court, I believe you should be a well deserving candidate for FMVP.