PDA

View Full Version : Hate to make a Wilt thread

Andrei89
08-21-2019, 11:59 AM
But some of his stats are ****ing hilarious:lol

I mean how weak can that era be when some dude averages 50 pts and 26 rebounds in his third season?

Dude led the NBA in assists in a season lmao

As a rookie he averaged 38/27 :lol

You can have an 8 foot tall Wilt in today

colts19
08-21-2019, 01:24 PM
Your right he wouldn't average 50 and 26. A prime Wilt would be the best player in the NBA, just as a prime Shaq would be. So what is your point?

Patrick Chewing
08-21-2019, 01:55 PM
Not sure why most people don't have Wilt and Jordan as the GOAT's.

ILLsmak
08-21-2019, 10:43 PM
Not sure why most people don't have Wilt and Jordan as the GOAT's.

Wilt, Russell, MJ, Kareem all have arguments.

Wilt's stats were far and above what everyone else's were... that's the thing. Sure some stats were inflated, like rebs, but Wilt was playing 48 min a game. Imagine if Shaq played 48 minutes a game. Sooner or later you just wear people out, and the pace was crazy. He took A LOT of shots, but in the same way I say shit about Iverson... it's amazing that someone can play that long and shoot that much and keep doing it.

He probably got a bunch of rebounds from missing shots under the rim and putting them back in. I mean he was shooting 50% when he got 50 ppg, but still. The era was v different, sure, but that's not to say he's not a monster.

When we were all kids and looking thru NBA history books (or was I the only one autistic enough to do that?) it's like uh huh... uh huh... wow Russel.... 11 rangz. Wow... Wilt... 50ppg?!?! Instead of being like that proves what a joke the NBA was, you should be like holy ****ing shit that's amazing.

He probably was on another level of athleticism, but he had skill, too, and he was doing it for 48 minutes. I can totally understand how he got 50 ppg and 26 rebs. HE WAS TAKING 40 SHOTS A GAME AND 17 FTS, that alone is insane even if he's missing them. Dude was doing work.

-Smak

Vino24
08-21-2019, 10:51 PM
Weak era. Lost to Russell every year :rolleyes:

Hammertime
08-21-2019, 11:34 PM
I love how people always bring up Wilt's stats without context. The main issue being that he regularly played 45+ minutes a game. Hell, he averaged just under 46 for his career.

Here are his numbers per 36:

https://i.postimg.cc/8z5W837p/wilt.png

PickernRoller
08-21-2019, 11:35 PM
Bran's long lost dad.

All stats, no substance. Known choker and loser.

superduper
08-22-2019, 12:26 AM
I love how people always bring up Wilt's stats without context. The main issue being that he regularly played 45+ minutes a game. Hell, he averaged just under 46 for his career.

I get what you're trying to say but that in itself is incredible

coastalmarker99
08-22-2019, 01:01 AM
in the playoffs Wilt had to face HOF centers more frequently than any center ever though....

In his 160 post-season games...

Lucas (as a starting center) 5 games
Reed (as a starting center) 11 games
Bellamy 10 games
Beaty 12 games
Kareem 11 games
Thurmond 17 games
Russell 49 games
115 games

Add in HOFer Embry... 4 games

119 games...out of 160.

75% of his playoff games were against a HOF center.

Vino24
08-22-2019, 01:04 AM
Russell overachieved just about every year in the playoffs.

coastalmarker99
08-22-2019, 01:04 AM
also in his NINE game seven's in his post-season career, Chamberlain averaged 24.4 ppg, 26.3 rpg, and shot .626... which is not only the highest FG% ever in game seven's by an all-time "great"...it was achieved in league's that shot about .435 on average. so no wilt was unlucky not a choker and was only a couple bounces of the ball from having 6 to 7 rings

coastalmarker99
08-22-2019, 01:05 AM
Wilt Chamberlain and Bill Russell met in the NBA Playoffs in 8 series in their careers. Bill Russell won 7 of the 8. You automatically think Russell had Wilts number. What if I told you that in the 8 elimination games they played Wilt outscored Russell 215 to 113 (not a typo). What if I told you that in the 7 series that Russell's team won, Celtics won the elimination game by a combined total of 25 points (average 3.5 point victory). What if I told you that 4 of those 7 series that Bill Russell's teams won, they won on a game winning shot or steal by a Celtic not named Bill Russell. What if Bill Russell's teammates missed those shots? Would the Russell Narrative be different? What does 4 clutch plays by the other team really say about Wilt Chamberlain being a winner or a loser.

coastalmarker99
08-22-2019, 01:07 AM
What about the narrative that Bill Russell was Clutch and Wilt was a Choker? Everyone remembers the "Havlacek steals the ball" but what they do not know is that the Celtics had the ball, and "Clutch" Bill Russell inbounded the ball into the wires hanging from the ceiling which gave the ball back to Wilt's 76ers. What about the importance of a game? How does Wilt's scoring change from Closeout Games, Elimination Games, to Game 7s. With Closeout games being the least important compared to Elimination Games and Game 7's. In 36 Closeout games Wilt averaged 23.4 ppg (and a 3.3pt win). In 22 Elimination games Wilt averaged 31.2 ppg (and a 5.7pt win). In 11 Game 7's, Wilt averaged 29.9ppg (and a 6.6pt win).

coastalmarker99
08-22-2019, 01:12 AM
not true 1968 and 1969 are the only years he overachieved and in 1968 half of that 76'ers team were injured.1969 though i will give that to you the lakers were the better team and should have won.

SouBeachTalents
08-22-2019, 01:13 AM
Lazeruss is back :roll:

Proctor
08-22-2019, 01:24 AM
Lazeruss is back :roll:
I wish...that's not him though. :lol

coastalmarker99
08-22-2019, 01:41 AM
some what if's for Wilt
Many will point out the losses in 1968, 69, and 70. While it is true Chamberlain could have done more, it is uncertain how much more another player would have done in his place. Chamberlain was nursing an assortment of injuries to his right leg in the 1968 East Finals that he "couldn't turn around to shoot" according to team statistician Harvey Pollack. In the deciding game of the 1969 Finals he left after hurting his right knee in the middle of a fourth quarter rally but still demanded to go back in. In 1970 he went against doctor's orders after major knee surgery and returned early in time for the postseason, even though another break may have ended his career.

In all three cases, all I saw was someone who just wanted to play and win despite risking greater injury to himself. Chamberlain averaged 17.7 points, 28.3 rebounds, 4.0 assists, and shot .636 from the field across those three Game 7 losses while his teammates collectively shot averages of .343, .360, and .418. if Wilt wins those 3 game 7's then, the debate between he and Russell is over. The narrative would forever be that once Wilt got good talent around him, he got the better of Russell.

Gunslinger
08-22-2019, 01:47 AM
I wish...that's not him though. :lol

Whoever he is, all his posts so far are in this thread slurping Ilt.

:oldlol:

Psileas
08-22-2019, 05:05 AM

Are we supposed to have to punish him for being more durable than the rest of the league and playing more minutes? Anyway, he's still head and shoulders ahead of the rest of his era's superstars "per 36". He's led the league in PER 8 times and 6 times in the playoffs (for comparison to the popular GOAT choices, Jordan also did it 6 times, LeBron 5 and Kareem 7) - and PER is a "per minute" stat.

Manny98
08-22-2019, 05:33 AM
Is that Laz omg :roll: :roll:

Kblaze8855
08-22-2019, 05:44 AM
Wilt only sat I think 6 minutes the year he scored 50 a game and that was when he got ejected.

His numbers look a lot more reasonable when you consider that. Look at a players per48 numbers and you realize that its not that far off from what others have done. I think Jordan got around 44 points per 48 at one point and thats without his coach insisting he drop 50 every game win or lose. It wasnt him just playing high schoolers. It was a great scorer never sitting down and being told to go off every single night regardless of the outcome.

coastalmarker99
08-22-2019, 06:01 AM
no i'm not Lazeruss i have just been lurking on this board for the past couple of years. just reading everyone posts. egokiller along with stalkerforlife, Shogon, highwhey make me laugh along with coin24 so yeah those guys are my favourite posters since i have been lurking for the past 2 years.

julizaver
08-22-2019, 09:55 AM
Are we supposed to have to punish him for being more durable than the rest of the league and playing more minutes? Anyway, he's still head and shoulders ahead of the rest of his era's superstars "per 36". He's led the league in PER 8 times and 6 times in the playoffs (for comparison to the popular GOAT choices, Jordan also did it 6 times, LeBron 5 and Kareem 7) - and PER is a "per minute" stat.

I would like to mention that Phil Jackson who played versus Wilt during his final 6 years or so - and who coached Shaq during his prime years said that Wilt was more durable and more athletic than Shaq ... It is on youtube.

julizaver
08-22-2019, 10:17 AM
It was discussed to death but there is more credible evidence about the greatness of Wilt. In his last 4 seasons Wilt played 28 games vs the best college player ever (Kareem) and due to injury 27 games of those 28 were played after Wilt turned 34 years ... old Wilt had battled Kareem on even terms the first 11 games they played (something like statistical draw). After that Lakers coach Sharman told Wilt to concentrate more on defense and Wilt forbade scoring. Kareem at his prime admit he put extra effort every time vs Wilt and had some high scoring games although with far efficiency than other centers (safe for Nate Thurmond), and it happens that the more Kareem score the more Bucks lose games. While I can say that Kareem was the better player at the time (the best NBA player also) Wilt more than hold his own versus a player who even at his late 30s scored a ton of points vs HOF centers like Hakeem (which played into 2000s).
Anyway even an old Wilt was better rebounder and better defender, shot blocker than any version of Kareem, and for sure prime Wilt is better scorrer, and better all around player than Kareem. Also you can watch the whole game where Bucks with Kareem stop Lakers 33 game winning streak. In that game Kareem was credited with a lot more blocked shots and rebounds than Wilt, but in reality you can check it was Wilt who got slighlty more.

Hammertime
08-22-2019, 10:54 AM
Are we supposed to have to punish him for being more durable than the rest of the league and playing more minutes? Anyway, he's still head and shoulders ahead of the rest of his era's superstars "per 36".

Not at all. My point was in support of Wilt. Much of the criticism of Wilt's stats comes from them being "video-game like." Then when you point out that he did play 48+ minutes a game in his anno mirabilis, the criticism usually becomes that he didn't put up such monster stats after all. I mean, he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

Hey Yo
08-22-2019, 11:40 AM
During Harden's 32 game 30pt streak, he avg. 41ppg.

They gave a stat on Wilt (if I heard it right) that he had a 40ppg avg. for like 512 straight games.

Mr Feeny
08-22-2019, 11:45 AM
He lost multiple game 7' because he choked at the free throw line. It takes 2 minutes to see how many close game 7's they lost when his number of FT misses were greater than the final margin.

He was a 30 ppg reg season scorer, 22 ppg playoff scorer, and 18 ppg finals scorer. When the going got tough, you could always count on Wilt to choke.

Mr Feeny
08-22-2019, 11:46 AM
no i'm not Lazeruss i have just been lurking on this board for the past couple of years. just reading everyone posts. egokiller along with stalkerforlife, Shogon, highwhey make me laugh along with coin24 so yeah those guys are my favourite posters since i have been lurking for the past 2 years.

Sureeeeeeeee.

Jon Salley's 10
08-22-2019, 04:01 PM
GOAT statpadder :applause:

ILLsmak
08-23-2019, 04:31 AM

rounding someone who played 48 minutes a game down to per 36 is some smash your head thru the monitor level asininity.

It's pretty damn off the wall to be like "if so and so played 48 minutes", they'd have godly stats, too. But not many people did... and their stats would probably marginally increase on less efficiency.

But the idea of 'this really happened (dude playing 48 minutes)' let's pretend he played 36 is just beyond anything I wanna deal with today. haha.

Most dudes who scored a point a minute were doing work. Wilt played more minutes. There we go.

You wanna say that the game has changed and there's no way he could play 48 min today, ok, fair argument. You wanna take away 1/4th of his stats because there is some measurement (probably more designed for people who play UNDER 36 min) supposedly to show what a person would produce if they played 'average starter minutes'... that's ridiculous.

-Smak

Stringer Bell
08-24-2019, 07:22 PM
What about the narrative that Bill Russell was Clutch and Wilt was a Choker? Everyone remembers the "Havlacek steals the ball" but what they do not know is that the Celtics had the ball, and "Clutch" Bill Russell inbounded the ball into the wires hanging from the ceiling which gave the ball back to Wilt's 76ers. What about the importance of a game? How does Wilt's scoring change from Closeout Games, Elimination Games, to Game 7s. With Closeout games being the least important compared to Elimination Games and Game 7's. In 36 Closeout games Wilt averaged 23.4 ppg (and a 3.3pt win). In 22 Elimination games Wilt averaged 31.2 ppg (and a 5.7pt win). In 11 Game 7's, Wilt averaged 29.9ppg (and a 6.6pt win).

I have seen Bill Russell or Tommy Heinsohn talk about Russell

coastalmarker99
09-03-2019, 05:24 AM
[QUOTE=Stringer Bell]I have seen Bill Russell or Tommy Heinsohn talk about Russell