PDA

View Full Version : Is Spud Webb the best dunker ever?

nayte
04-05-2019, 07:01 AM
I seen his pic brought up still to me he has to be the best dunker based on his height alone. His dunk comps were awesome.

E_Stamkos
04-05-2019, 07:34 AM
Spudd was super impressive but to me it's Vince. He had it all, from aesthetics, power, in-game, etc...

nayte
04-05-2019, 08:06 AM
Spudd was super impressive but to me it's Vince. He had it all, from aesthetics, power, in-game, etc...

Yeah I won't argue against Vince. But what Spud did.man I dunno

DCL
04-05-2019, 08:12 AM
spud webb was the icon of little man dunking for a long time until nate robinson.

nate was doing much crazier shit like off-the-backboard east bays.

webb mostly just lobbed it and finished it with a reverse. yeah, impressive for a little man, but nate just took it several levels higher. he was lobbing it and going between his legs. degrees of difficulty were much higher.

nayte
04-05-2019, 08:14 AM
spud webb was the icon of little man dunking for a long time until nate robinson.

nate was doing much crazier shit like off-the-backboard east bays.

webb mostly just lobbed it and finished it with a reverse. yeah, impressive for a little man, but nate just took it several levels higher. he was lobbing it and going between his legs. degrees of difficulty were much higher.

Wasn't nate taller. No offence but still

DCL
04-05-2019, 08:16 AM
Wasn't nate taller. No offence but still

webb was 5'7".

nate was listed at 5'9" but he was 5'8"

both are considered midget sizes in the NBA.

only early boykins was shorter.

edit: forgot about mugsey. he's listed at 5'3" and probably even shorter!!

nayte
04-05-2019, 08:32 AM
webb was 5'7".

nate was listed at 5'9" but he was 5'8"

both are considered midget sizes in the NBA.

only early boykins was shorter.

I feel like spuds reverses are harder then of the backboard. Just an opinion but yeah.

DCL
04-05-2019, 08:32 AM
let's put it this way...

the average 6'3" semi-athletic guard in college should be able to easily do every dunk that webb did in the contest. lob, catch, reverse... yeah, fancy for a small dude, but it's not that special for a college player or even high schooler who's 6'3" and taller.

but then you look at nate's off-the-backboard eastbays? that shit was on a whole different level of difficulty.

nayte
04-05-2019, 08:36 AM
let's put it this way...

the average 6'3" semi-athletic guard in college should be able to easily do every dunk that webb did in the contest. lob, catch, reverse... yeah, fancy for a small dude, but it's not that special for a college player or even high schooler who's 6'3" and taller.

but then you look at nate's off-the-backboard eastbays? that shit was on a whole different level of difficulty.

Spud wasn't a dude 6'3 and higher. He was 5'7. I feel your downplaying it for agendas

DCL
04-05-2019, 08:42 AM
Spud wasn't a dude 6'3 and higher. He was 5'7. I feel your downplaying it for agendas

:facepalm

you are the SLOWEST person i've dealt with all week.

MrFonzworth
04-05-2019, 08:49 AM
Spud Webb going coast to coast and dunking on Showtime is my 2nd favorite dunk of all time, 1st being Iggy's oop on Yao.

But you can't be the GOAT dunker if you didn't dunk that often. Nate dunked way more and was more flashy as well, but the comparison isn't fair. Sure it's only 2 inches, but at that size you're at the border of whether or not you can palm a basketball. You can get a lot more ambitious in games when you have bigger hands.

nayte
04-05-2019, 08:51 AM
:facepalm

you are the SLOWEST person i've dealt with all week.

Cool that's like your opinion. I just dissagree

nayte
04-05-2019, 08:53 AM
Spud Webb going coast to coast and dunking on Showtime is my 2nd favorite dunk of all time, 1st being Iggy's oop on Yao.

But you can't be the GOAT dunker if you didn't dunk that often. Nate dunked way more and was more flashy as well, but the comparison isn't fair. Sure it's only 2 inches, but at that size you're at the border of whether or not you can palm a basketball. You can get a lot more ambitious in games when you have bigger hands.

Hand size fair enough. Maybe I should specify dunk comps. Spuds dunks were top notch

Manny98
04-05-2019, 08:55 AM
Spudd webb is a midget i'd block the shit outta him if he tried dunking on me

MrFonzworth
04-05-2019, 08:57 AM
Spudd webb is a midget i'd block the shit outta him if he tried dunking on me
Are you posting this ironically after being exposed as a 5'4 Filipino?

nayte
04-05-2019, 09:04 AM
Are you posting this ironically after being exposed as a 5'4 Filipino?

I don't even give two farks about Jordan. Spud was a beast. At the time we could never imagine what he could do.

DCL
04-05-2019, 09:05 AM
Cool that's like your opinion. I just dissagree

it's not your opinion which i'm using to refer to your ineptitude.

it's your complete lack of reading comprehension skills.

because you can't even comprehend the meaning of this:

"the average 6'3" semi-athletic guard in college should be able to easily do every dunk that webb did in the contest. lob, catch, reverse... yeah, fancy for a small dude, but it's not that special for a college player or even high schooler who's 6'3" and taller.

but then you look at nate's off-the-backboard eastbays? that shit was on a whole different level of difficulty."

what it means is that webb's dunks were not hard to do for most players who are 6'3" or taller.

otoh, nate's dunks were straight up hard for a player of any height. they were just difficult, period.

is english your fifth language or is your IQ just situated on the far left side of the curve?

nayte
04-05-2019, 09:11 AM
it's not your opinion which i'm using to refer to your ineptitude.

it's your complete lack of reading comprehension skills.

because you can't even comprehend the meaning of this:

what it means is that webb's dunks were not hard to do for most players who are 6'3" or taller.

otoh, nate's dunks were straight up hard for a player of any height. they were just difficult, period.

is english your fifth language or is your IQ just situated on the far left side of the curve?

So webbs dunks were not hard to do for someone 6'3 and taller. OK great input. Let's forget about spuds height. But please keep on telling me how stupid I am

thefatmiral
04-05-2019, 09:12 AM
For short guy dunkers. He's the pioneer. But nate jumped him in all around dunking abulity.

Nowitness
04-05-2019, 09:19 AM
I'd say Spudd is the most impressive dunker ever. To be barely 5.7 and get the elevation he had was unreal, and it wasn't just easy dunks, they had real skill.

I'd still say Vince is the greatest overall dunker, had in game highlights and insane contest dunks. Michael and Dr J are the most iconic, Nique and Kemp the most explosive.

DCL
04-05-2019, 09:33 AM
So webbs dunks were not hard to do for someone 6'3 and taller. OK great input. Let's forget about spuds height. But please keep on telling me how stupid I am

nate is hardly towering over spud.

again, i'll use 6'3" as a point of reference. the level of difficulty of webb's dunks would be about a 3 or 4 for a 6'3" college player. (if you think i'm somehow saying webb is 6'3", you need to read this over and over again.)

but the level of difficulty for an off-the-backboard east bay is about 10 for a player of any height at any level. even the NBA. that's j rich level of dunk mastery.

if webb can do level 4 dunks at 5'7", he'd probably be only able to do level 6 at 5'9". meanwhile, nate at 5'9" can already do level 10 dunks.

do you understand?

nayte
04-05-2019, 09:48 AM
nate is hardly towering over spud.

again, i'll use 6'3" as a point of reference. the level of difficulty of webb's dunks would be about a 3 or 4 for a 6'3" college player. (if you think i'm somehow saying webb is 6'3", you need to read this over and over again.)

but the level of difficulty for an off-the-backboard east bay is about 10 for a player of any height at any level. even the NBA. that's j rich level of dunk mastery.

if webb can do level 4 dunks at 5'7", he'd probably be only able to do level 6 at 5'9". meanwhile, nate at 5'9" can already do level 10 dunks.

do you understand?

Why do u use 6'3,As a point of reference. This whole argument is stupid and I'm done with it. Good day sir

DCL
04-05-2019, 09:52 AM
Why do u use 6'3,As a point of reference. This whole argument is stupid and I'm done with it. Good day sir

that's just average guard height.

you are so unbelievably slow.

even if i dumb down six levels, it's still too high for you.

MrFonzworth
04-05-2019, 10:51 AM
I don't even give two farks about Jordan. Spud was a beast. At the time we could never imagine what he could do.
What?

superduper
04-05-2019, 11:01 AM
let's put it this way...

As you're trying to say, Spud's dunks were more "basic" relative to the average NBA height but the point he's trying to make is Spud was half a foot shoter doing all those dunks. I disagree that Spud is the best dunker of all time though.

DCL
04-05-2019, 11:42 AM
As you're trying to say, Spud's dunks were more "basic" relative to the average NBA height but the point he's trying to make is Spud was half a foot shoter doing all those dunks. I disagree that Spud is the best dunker of all time though.

and the point i was making to him was that nate wasn't much taller yet he was able to do much more difficult dunks.

the height difference between those two wasn't significant yet the difference between the difficulties of their dunks was extreme.

we all know webb is small, but nate is pretty much right there too, only slightly taller by an inch or two.

imagine if we equalize both guys and made them have equal heights while keeping all their athleticism, agility, coordination, etc. unchanged -- the advantage would still be on nate because he's more explosive.

i'm not hating on spud. what webb could do at 5'7" is very impressive for a 5'7" dude. but what nate could do at 5'9" is... freaking ridiculous for a 5'9" dude. and nate isn't even a legit 5'9".

but the greatest dunkers today aren't in the NBA. some don't even play basketball at all. they're all over youtube.

MrFonzworth
04-05-2019, 12:27 PM
and the point i was making to him was that nate wasn't much taller yet he was able to do much more difficult dunks.

the height difference between those two wasn't significant yet the difference between the difficulties of their dunks was extreme.

we all know webb is small, but nate is pretty much right there too, only slightly taller by an inch or two.

imagine if we equalize both guys and made them have equal heights while keeping all their athleticism, agility, coordination, etc. unchanged -- the advantage would still be on nate because he's more explosive.

i'm not hating on spud. what webb could do at 5'7" is very impressive for a 5'7" dude. but what nate could do at 5'9" is... freaking ridiculous for a 5'9" dude. and nate isn't even a legit 5'9".

but the greatest dunkers today aren't in the NBA. some don't even play basketball at all. they're all over youtube.
As I mentioned before, at those heights hand size is a bigger factor than a couple inches. Give Nate Spudd's hands and no way he's making those same dunks, 5'9 or not.

DCL
04-05-2019, 12:45 PM
As I mentioned before, at those heights hand size is a bigger factor than a couple inches. Give Nate Spudd's hands and no way he's making those same dunks, 5'9 or not.

nate was known for having quite small hands, so he had no advantage with that.

nate was also measured at 5' 7 and 3/4" at 21 years old.

so his size was a lot closer to webb than people realize.

nate was obviously a lot beefier/heavier though.

MrFonzworth
04-05-2019, 01:10 PM
nate was known for having quite small hands, so he had no advantage with that.

nate was also measured at 5' 7 and 3/4" at 21 years old.

so his size was a lot closer to webb than people realize.

nate was obviously a lot beefier/heavier though.
What? Nate has large hands for his size. They're much larger than Spud's, who has the smallest hands ever measured for NBA players. And Nate is 5'7 and 3/4 WITHOUT shoes. Webb would be close to 5'5 without shoes.

HylianNightmare
04-05-2019, 02:27 PM
I wouldn't say the best but him and Nate were easily two of the most impressive dunkers of all-time just based on how short they were