PDA

View Full Version : Imagine going pro at 21 and taking a two year break in your prime...

Akrazotile
03-14-2019, 12:55 PM
Even though you’d only made 3 deep playoff runs in your career so far.

Think of how much energy you’d save. Then think about all the stimulants and PED’s floating around in that era, at a time when testing was a joke.

Is there any reason a player under those conditions SHOULDNT put up more ppg than anyone else?? Your career is like half as long as guys playing today. Please...

“Hey, every time Im a little bit tired Ill just retire for a couple years so my stats dont suffer.” :roll:

Unbelievable smh.

bullettooth
03-14-2019, 12:57 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/cL8PHH0p/wheels.gif

AirTupac
03-14-2019, 01:00 PM

YOOOOOO :lol :lol :lol

superduper
03-14-2019, 01:06 PM
How is it taking a break when he played another sport at an extremely high level?

bullettooth
03-14-2019, 01:08 PM
How is it taking a break when he played another sport at an extremely high level?

To be fair... baseball is a joke.

Elosha
03-14-2019, 01:17 PM

Well, it doesn't require the physicality of basketball, I'll grant you that, but it was no joke. Jordan had to train for an entirely different range of muscle motion and skills, while his basketball skills atrophied (fortunately it was only temporary). He was riding on a cheap Greyhound bus for months at a time and generally undergoing the less than ideal quality of life of a minor leaguer.

It's not basketball level of stress, but it certainly wasn't some cakewalk vacation like Simon alts frivolously claim.

IMO, Jordan would have never retired if his father hadn't been killed by those two hoodlums. That is honestly one of the most devastating things that can happen to someone, to have a loved one brutally killed. James Jordan and MJ had talked about him playing baseball, b/c James had always wanted to see Jordan play another sport and was a huge baseball fan. Jordan was really trying to honor his dad's memory and emotionally recover.

Of course, I know some idiot is likely to claim James Jordan was killed by the mafia for Jordan's supposed gambling debts. :rolleyes: The tinfoil hat level on ISH is frightening sometimes...

FKAri
03-14-2019, 01:19 PM
DNP - Vacation for 2 years.

Wish we could all be spoiled divas like MJ and take 2 years off of our dream job to pursue our...other dream job.

Elosha
03-14-2019, 01:20 PM
DNP - Vacation for 2 years.

Wish we could all be spoiled divas like MJ and take 2 years off of our dream job to pursue our...other dream job.

See my post above yours. This is idiotic revisionist history. No one who really knows what happened believes that.

bison
03-14-2019, 01:20 PM
We all know it was a shadow suspension for having his father assassinated in order to settle gambling debts. And by 'shadow' I mean the league wanted to punish him, but at the same time did not want it to be publicly known that the league's biggest financial asset was a criminal, hence the 'retirement' story. But as it's been pointed out before MJ played baseball at a professional level during those years. You think the greatest competitor of all time actually wanted to quit basketball?! :facepalm:

Elosha
03-14-2019, 01:27 PM
We all know it was a shadow suspension for having his father assassinated in order to settle gambling debts. And by 'shadow' I mean the league wanted to punish him, but at the same time did not want it to be publicly known that the league's biggest financial asset was a criminal, hence the 'retirement' story. But as it's been pointed out before MJ played baseball at a professional level during those years. You think the greatest competitor of all time actually wanted to quit basketball?! :facepalm:

I called it. :rolleyes: :facepalm :hammerhead:

superduper
03-14-2019, 01:28 PM
See my post above yours. This is idiotic revisionist history. No one who really knows what happened believes that.

FkAri is a troll

TheCorporation
03-14-2019, 01:33 PM
This is exactly why they don't want to totals, but rather "per game." :eek:

Caught again, kids.

Nice work, OP:applause:

scuzzy
03-14-2019, 01:43 PM
Oh Jordan was juicing up hard in the minors with the best of em

Told the Bulls he had to drop weight and wanted to come back right in time for 95 Playoffs, Phil and Chi FO said nope you're coming back now to get in game condition.

Still came back 25-30 pounds heavier and lean after months off baseball :lol

superduper
03-14-2019, 01:48 PM

Told the Bulls he had to drop weight and wanted to come back right in time for 95 Playoffs, Phil and Chi FO said nope you're coming back now to get in game condition.

Sounds like fairy tales.

Any proof?

Akrazotile
03-14-2019, 01:50 PM
This is exactly why they don't want to totals, but rather "per game."

Caught again, kids.

Nice work, OP:applause:

Thank you, sir.

*takes bow*

Incoming “omg but simon its the same guy ur a alt thats the same persons , simonnnnnn!!!!!!” :rant :rant :rant

We. stay. winning. :rockon: :yaohappy:

Elosha
03-14-2019, 01:52 PM

:rolleyes: :hammerhead: You do know that simply saying stupid things doesn't make them true, right?

And1AllDay
03-14-2019, 01:56 PM
[QUOTE=Akrazotile]Even though you

FKAri
03-14-2019, 02:00 PM
That's like someone saying their vacation to Hawaii wasn't really a vacation because surfing is taxing on the body.

tbh it couldn't have been a league decision. Either MJ wanted to stop or a third party (legal or PED stuff) forced him to. There's no way Stern is going to ask his cash cow to not play basketball for him.

80% chance MJ retired because he just wanted to do so. Be it to get over the loss of his father, recoup physically, refocus mentally and/or whatever.

scuzzy
03-14-2019, 02:03 PM
Sounds like fairy tales.

Any proof?
Perhaps for kids like yourself

Well recognized storyline that happened back then

While Jordan was known to have his own direction in mind, he always sought advice from his close circle of advisors, including the Bulls. In fact, in the days leading up to Jordan's meeting with Falk and Polk, he talked through his itch with his coach, Phil Jackson, and they even started to negotiate how many games he might play. At first, Jordan wanted to return in the postseason. Jackson countered with 20 games; Jordan then envisioned 10 to 15. It would eventually be 17.

"We recognized that he had developed different muscles for baseball—slow-twitch muscles versus fast-twitch," Polk said. "He had bulked up in baseball, particularly in the upper body, and those are things that weren't necessarily compatible to him just stepping out quickly onto the basketball court. And he recognized that.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3og0IMJcSI8p6hYQXS/giphy.gif

And1AllDay
03-14-2019, 02:05 PM
[QUOTE=scuzzy]Perhaps for kids like yourself

While Jordan was known to have his own direction in mind, he always sought advice from his close circle of advisors, including the Bulls. In fact, in the days leading up to Jordan's meeting with Falk and Polk, he talked through his itch with his coach, Phil Jackson, and they even started to negotiate how many games he might play. At first, Jordan wanted to return in the postseason. Jackson countered with 20 games; Jordan then envisioned 10 to 15. It would eventually be 17.

[I]"We recognized that he had developed different muscles for baseball

superduper
03-14-2019, 02:09 PM

And1AllDay
03-14-2019, 02:12 PM
Imagine using this as a response to being asked for proof that Jordan is juicing :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Just imagine it getting proof and denying it.

Hey Yo
03-14-2019, 02:36 PM
Well, it doesn't require the physicality of basketball, I'll grant you that, but it was no joke. Jordan had to train for an entirely different range of muscle motion and skills, while his basketball skills atrophied (fortunately it was only temporary). He was riding on a cheap Greyhound bus for months at a time and generally undergoing the less than ideal quality of life of a minor leaguer.

It's not basketball level of stress, but it certainly wasn't some cakewalk vacation like Simon alts frivolously claim.

IMO, Jordan would have never retired if his father hadn't been killed by those two hoodlums. That is honestly one of the most devastating things that can happen to someone, to have a loved one brutally killed. James Jordan and MJ had talked about him playing baseball, b/c James had always wanted to see Jordan play another sport and was a huge baseball fan. Jordan was really trying to honor his dad's memory and emotionally recover.

Of course, I know some idiot is likely to claim James Jordan was killed by the mafia for Jordan's supposed gambling debts. :rolleyes: The tinfoil hat level on ISH is frightening sometimes...
To be fair, Jordan stood in the outfield with his thumb up his ass. Than after he struck out, he sat on the bench waiting to go back out to the field and reinsert his thumb back up his ass.

ImKobe
03-14-2019, 02:44 PM
There were a number of factors and a few theories, but the most likely reason he retired was because he was already considered the GOAT and he wanted to try baseball in honor of his dad. There's no way he did some illegal shit that has still not come out 25 years later while he's owning an NBA team.

theaussieguy
03-14-2019, 03:52 PM

Goddam u are on some normie shit. Still believing those hoodlums murdered his dad smh.

Elosha
03-14-2019, 05:16 PM
Goddam u are on some normie shit. Still believing those hoodlums murdered his dad smh.

Apparently, you are on the tinfoil hat side of ISH. Sorry, let me know if/when you can regain some semblance of sanity.

warriorfan
03-14-2019, 05:21 PM

This is so good :lol :applause:

RealSkipBayless
03-14-2019, 05:30 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll:

TheCorporation
03-14-2019, 08:38 PM

ballinhun8
03-14-2019, 09:02 PM

Holy shiiiiiiit

Elosha
03-14-2019, 09:08 PM
That's like someone saying their vacation to Hawaii wasn't really a vacation because surfing is taxing on the body.

:rolleyes: Surfing on vacation? You've obviously never played baseball in little league, much less the minor leagues. You've also obviously never read the various reports as to how much batting practice, fielding practice, weightlifting, and studying the game Jordan put in. The guy was literally doing batting practice for multiple hours every day after games and regular practices.

Dr. Cheesesteak
03-14-2019, 09:11 PM
Imagine being so insecure about what players you like that you have to create sh*t posts to discredit other retired players.

Akrazotile
03-14-2019, 09:17 PM
Imagine being so insecure about what players you like that you have to create sh*t posts to discredit other retired players.

Do you wanna ****ing fight me bro?? Cause we can do that. We can DEFINITELY do that.

You just tell me where you live and Ill buy your bus ticket to come see me. We can take it to the street mother****er. We can THROW THEM THANGZ.

Get at me bitch.

Elosha
03-14-2019, 09:21 PM
To be fair, Jordan stood in the outfield with his thumb up his ass. Than after he struck out, he sat on the bench waiting to go back out to the field and reinsert his thumb back up his ass.

It must be fun to stay stupid sh*t without being burdened by the truth. You obviously know nothing about Jordan's time in the minor leagues.

From Michael Jordan: The Life

He explained that the seed was planted way back in 1990, before he had hoisted a championship trophy. "It began as my father's idea," he said. "We had seen Bo Jackson and Deion Sanders try two sports, and my father had said that he felt I could have made it in baseball, too. He said, 'You've got the skills.' He thought I had proved everything I could in basketball, and that I might want to give baseball a shot. I told him, 'No, I haven't done everything. I haven't won a championship.' Then I won it, and we talked about baseball on occasion, and then we won two more championships. And then he was killed."

He didn't hesitate to speak of his father's presence with him as he went about the business of realizing that dream. "I talk to him more in the subconscious than actual words," he said that first weekend, talking as he sat in front of his new locker in the Barons' spacious clubhouse. " 'Keep doing what you're doing,' he'd tell me. 'Keep trying to make it happen. You can't be afraid to fail. Don't give a damn about the media.' Then he'd say something funny -- or recall something about when I was a boy, when we'd be in the back- yard playing catch together like we did all the time."

Also before the baseball strike in 94, Jordan was actually making notable progress and improving dramatically, in a sport that ordinarily takes years and years of incremental progress. From the same book:

Even with that dismal slump, Barons manager Terry Francona could see that Jordan was making dramatic improvement. At his lowest point, he had stayed after a game one night to ask what the manager really thought about his future in the game. Jordan would admit later that the talk had come just as he had begun to entertain thoughts of giving up. He didn't want to go on as a joke and, worse, to take the place of a younger prospect who had a better chance. But Francona pointed out that progress was typically slow in baseball development and that he was starting to see substantial gains for Jordan. The effort had been extraordinary and unfathomable to people who knew baseball.

Over the last month of the season, he batted .260, which lifted his average to a measly .202. In 436 at bats, he had managed 88 hits, including 17 doubles and a triple. He had stolen 30 bases and scored 46 runs. Such steady improvement earned him a promotion. He was assigned to the Scottsdale Scorpions of the Arizona Fall League. It seemed to represent a victory, although few beyond Terry Francona and some White Sox executives saw it that way.

jstern
03-14-2019, 09:31 PM

red1
03-14-2019, 09:34 PM
mj is just a loser type of human being. all the wealth and fame in the world won't cure being a bald sociopath.

truly a lost and broken soul.

Spurs m8
03-14-2019, 09:39 PM
mj is just a loser type of human being. all the wealth and fame in the world won't cure being a bald sociopath.

truly a lost and broken soul.

okay, wheels

red1
03-14-2019, 09:46 PM
okay, wheels
why do you respond to everything I post? I'm not your friend man. :confusedshrug:

tpols
03-14-2019, 09:53 PM
why do you respond to everything I post? I'm not your friend man. :confusedshrug:

you're gonna be his friend. :no:

or were going to have to step outside m8.

Wally450
03-14-2019, 09:56 PM

Says the guy who edits pictures trying to expose alternate accounts on a dead basketball forum. :lol

bullettooth
03-14-2019, 09:59 PM
Says the guy who edits pictures trying to expose alternate accounts on a dead basketball forum. :lol

You just jealous cuz you didn't make the cut in the last gif.

red1
03-14-2019, 10:01 PM
you're gonna be his friend. :no:

or were going to have to step outside m8.
come at me bro

https://4cdn.hu/kraken/image/upload/s--_vXauaok--/w_340/6vkRUhAH74tI5r4Ma.gif
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HandyWeakBedlingtonterrier-size_restricted.gif
https://imgur.com/aPOvn7w
https://media.giphy.com/media/ehkyPzLIc7CO4/giphy.gif

warriorfan
03-14-2019, 10:05 PM
You just jealous cuz you didn't make the cut in the last gif.

Kg.gif

stalkerforlife
03-14-2019, 10:15 PM

:roll:

Just :roll:

NBASTATMAN
03-14-2019, 10:32 PM
MJ needed shooters as much or even more than Lebron..

BJ ARMSTRONG, PAXSON, BUSCHLER, HODGES,

WENNINGTON, KUKOC, GRANT, and even Luc Longley were all spot up shooters..

warriorfan
03-14-2019, 10:39 PM

Did MJ ever demand

FKAri
03-14-2019, 10:43 PM
:rolleyes: Surfing on vacation? You've obviously never played baseball in little league, much less the minor leagues. You've also obviously never read the various reports as to how much batting practice, fielding practice, weightlifting, and studying the game Jordan put in. The guy was literally doing batting practice for multiple hours every day after games and regular practices.
You've obviously never surfed. Shit's really taxing if you're going to be out there for hours.

Did MJ ever demand “playmakers?” :confusedshrug:
That was Magic. Not Lebron

NBASTATMAN
03-14-2019, 10:43 PM
[QUOTE=warriorfan]Did MJ ever demand

NBASTATMAN
03-14-2019, 10:46 PM

How could I forget Kerr :facepalm

Elosha
03-14-2019, 11:15 PM
You've obviously never surfed. Shit's really taxing if you're going to be out there for hours.

That was Magic. Not Lebron

You're comparing a week or two vacation with surfing to two years of intensely trying to master a new sport at a professional level, starting at ages 31-32. It's just a worthless analogy.

bobopenguin
03-14-2019, 11:17 PM

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Bawkish
03-15-2019, 03:55 AM
No but he had Pippen.. He was one of the best playmakers in his day.... Lebron asking for more playmakers makes sense since his main competition is GSW and they have like 4 or 5 guys that can facilitate their offense..

story of Lebron's career in a nutshell :lol