PDA

View Full Version : Jordan will be buried and forgotten as time goes by and the game continues to change

kennethgriffen
01-19-2019, 01:13 AM
sooner or later the game will be so dependent on shooting outside that jordans range will be mocked the same as how we currently mock bob cousy's handles

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FatalAbandonedIlladopsis-small.gif

future generations will say "how can jordan be the goat when he could win in his era without having a 3 point shot unless it was moved in for him"

even he was dumbfounded shrugging his shoulders when he hit 6 of them

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/RelievedExemplaryHerald-size_restricted.gif

theres 2 guys right now nearly AVERAGING 6 threes made a game

by the year 2029 half the leagues top scorers will be averaging 6 made threes a game

even today people laugh at the thought of MJ being able to compete today. imagine 10 years from now

the cut off for guys being able to transition to todays game is probably kobe/tmac's generation

jordans shooting form from three was pretty damn ugly. out that far his shot turned into a girly pushing motion.. no flick of the wrist or fingers.. looks like a knuckle ball release tbh

no wonder he has the all time worst 3 point contest score

:facepalm

the only reason he has a 32% career percentage is because it was boosted by the years he played with a shortened line and he shot them sparingly/protected himself by shooting them wide open 99.9% of the time

CelticBaller
01-19-2019, 01:15 AM
The only reason people will remember Kobe is for that night in Colorado

kennethgriffen
01-19-2019, 01:17 AM
The only reason people will remember Kobe is for that night in Colorado

you mean the night he flew back from colorado at half time and hit the game winner against denver

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX7C4RWhdgo

TheImmortal
I disagree..

It's been quite a while since we've seen a transcendent superstar All-around player.. the last superstar is arguably Kawhi and he's not even marketable to the masses. KD not marketable.. LeBron no longer marketable, yet the fanboy media will pretend that he is despite being on the most popular team on earth. Jordan is in an airspace that nobody can touch and the nostalgia will be there due to the Youtube age with fake memories instilled in to the young minds. 6/6 will never be touched and his reputation cannot be blemished (well.. its unlikely).

warriorfan
When Jordan is buried his legacy will only grow. They will have compilation after compilation of tribute videos plastered all over, the young generation will see and believe. Jordan will always be the GOAT. Forever.

kennethgriffen
01-19-2019, 01:22 AM
I disagree..

It's been quite a while since we've seen a transcendent superstar All-around player.. the last superstar is arguably Kawhi and he's not even marketable to the masses. KD not marketable.. LeBron no longer marketable, yet the fanboy media will pretend that he is despite being on the most popular team on earth. Jordan is in an airspace that nobody can touch and the nostalgia will be there due to the Youtube age with fake memories instilled in to the young minds. 6/6 will never be touched and his reputation cannot be blemished (well.. its unlikely).

the media writes the narrative and they all piss on 6/6... its over played by skip and people are annoyed by it

truthfully i think kareems the goat. he always was for me and i've only been saying MJ out of respect. kareem dominated all levels of basketball more than anyone and for as long as anyone could dominate them for. winning finals MVP 14 years apart is something that will never happen again. would be like lebron winning finals mvp in 2024 at age 39/40

i no longer have respect for MJ because MJ fans have no respect for Kobe

3ball's dumbass actually said 35 year old MJ is better than peak kobe

the dudes off his meds

:roll:

kennethgriffen
01-19-2019, 01:26 AM
When Jordan is buried his legacy will only grow. They will have compilation after compilation of tribute videos plastered all over, the young generation will see and believe. Jordan will always be the GOAT. Forever.

the only way dying boosts legacies is if you die young

nobody even blinks when some 90 year old dude piss's and shits himself in a nursing home on his death bed

by then everyones forgotten and you're a nobody to most calling the game/watching it/discussing it

if bill russell died tomorrow his all time status isn't getting a boost

you don't get that lennon/cobain/jesus boost unless you die at or before age 40

TheImmortal
01-19-2019, 01:28 AM
the media writes the narrative and they all piss on 6/6... its over played by skip and people are annoyed by it

truthfully i think kareems the goat. he always was for me and i've only been saying MJ out of respect. kareem dominated all levels of basketball more than anyone and for as long as anyone could dominate them for. winning finals MVP 14 years apart is something that will never happen again. would be like lebron winning finals mvp in 2024 at age 39/40

the dudes off his meds

Kobe will never get the credit he deserves, we know this. But there's a reason why MJ himself respects Kobe moreso than LeBron.. LeBron's game when you combine the travels, ball monopolization, bulldozing tactics, flopping, and usage of the fanboy media for his own self-aggrandizement is really off-putting to most fans. Historically LeBron will never get respected in the way a flawed player (outside issue) in Kobe due to his manufactured nature. 3ball is 3ball.. that's his guy and he'll defend it all cost and you can't blame him.

Just like you'll probably defend Kobe and players you like. This is a non-issue .

kennethgriffen
01-19-2019, 01:36 AM
i like jordan. i think hes top 3 with kareem and russell

i just don't respect his fans. they've always given kobe backhanded compliments...

i'm done

from now on its every all time great for themselves

no kareem fan has ever spit on another guys legacy because

a) there are no kareem fans around anymore

and

b) if there were i doubt they would be insecure enough to feel the need to

3ball has the same problem lebron himself has. he doesn't know when to shut up..even skip goes too far with his jordan defending...sometimes its better to not say anything when you're arguable GOAT

for kobe fans we need to talk up our guy because hes so vastly underrated/under appreciated by the mainstream media... if kobe got the respect he deserves i probably wouldn't even be posting on ISH... 3 ball sticking around here and putting his foot in his mouth is only hurting MJ's legacy

Akrazotile
01-19-2019, 01:37 AM
sooner or later the game will be so dependent on shooting outside that jordans range will be mocked the same as how we currently mock bob cousy's handles

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FatalAbandonedIlladopsis-small.gif

future generations will say "how can jordan be the goat when he could win in his era without having a 3 point shot unless it was moved in for him"

by the year 2029 half the leagues top scorers will be averaging 6 made threes a game

even today people laugh at the thought of MJ being able to compete today. imagine 10 years from now

the cut off for guys being able to transition to todays game is probably kobe/tmac's generation

jordans shooting form from three was pretty damn ugly. out that far his shot turned into a girly pushing motion.. no flick of the wrist or fingers.. looks like a knuckle ball release tbh

no wonder he has the all time worst 3 point contest score

:facepalm

the only reason he has a 32% career percentage is because it was boosted by the years he played with a shortened line and he shot them sparingly/protected himself by shooting them wide open 99.9% of the time

These are actually pretty fair points.

In the moment we underestimate how much time changes things.

Nothing lasts forever.

jongib369
01-19-2019, 02:10 AM
100 years from now the vast majority wont take anyone in our top 10s seriously. They might know a couple names, but wont think they can ball. Just like the Cousy gif, people today associate him with that and not this (https://youtu.be/o-xa6546ixc)

Jordan will be the skillful above average athletic guy who couldn't shoot

Kobe will be the less athletic guy, who tried to be said athletic guy who could shoot a tad better. Some more skills but both would be useless. They would be looked at like raw athletes who would have to unlearn a lot

Curry will be the manlet who could kinda shoot...But at most he will be looked at like how the casual fan sees Pete Maravich... Started the flash but couldnt compete today

200 years from now? **** I dont even want to know. Wilt probably would be unheard of as by then the game will change so much they will pull some ESPN shit with their "most rebounds since aba merger" bs... But it will be something like "Most points since the 2100 Euroleague/NBA/african Basketball aleague merger". Seasons/playoffs will be structured different. Probably wont even show more than 1 or two highlight plays of our guys if that.

300 years from now everyone will know every detail about them as all info they decide to look at is instantaneously absorbed through the microchips attached to our brains. Where the hive mind insidehoops fam will collectively laugh

elementally morale
01-19-2019, 02:14 AM
100 years from now the vast majority wont take anyone in our top 10s seriously. They might know a couple names, but wont think they can ball. Just like the Cousy gif, people today associate him with that and not this (https://youtu.be/o-xa6546ixc)

Jordan will be the skillful above average athletic guy who couldn't shoot

Kobe will be the less athletic guy, who tried to be said athletic guy who could shoot a tad better. Some more skills but both would be useless. They would be looked at like raw athletes who would have to unlearn a lot

Curry will be the manlet who could kinda shoot...But at most he will be looked at like how the casual fan sees Pete Maravich... Started the flash but couldnt compete today

200 years from now? **** I dont even want to know. Wilt probably would be unheard of as by then the game will change so much they will pull some ESPN shit with their "most rebounds since aba merger" bs... But it will be something like "Most points since the 2100 Euroleague/NBA/african Basketball aleague merger". Seasons/playoffs will be structured different. Probably wont even show more than 1 or two highlight plays of our guys if that.

There won't be any basketball played a 100 years from now.

Humanity will either disappear or change into another species with genetic engineering, robotics and some stuff we don't even have today. I doubt sports as we know them now will last another 30 years.

Akrazotile
01-19-2019, 02:20 AM

Humanity will either disappear or change into another species with genetic engineering, robotics and some stuff we don't even have today. I doubt sports as we know them now will last another 30 years.

Pretty much. The sport

jongib369
01-19-2019, 02:26 AM
I bet you someone will dig up graves, clone our guys and make them play. There would be a lot of money in that... But they wont be apart of the pro league, they will be the sideshow where they're raised to play like who they were cloned from

kennethgriffen
01-19-2019, 02:37 AM
i think kobe will live on in a pistol pete sorta way

kobes difficult shot making ability and loads of youtube videos displaying them will be mythological

people will say he was a pioneer way ahead of his time

jordans dunks are already pretty tame compared to guys like james white/zach lavine/aaron gordon

his mythology is already kinda dead and the 6 for 6 thing is all we ever really bring up

his mid range 10 foot turn arounds aren't that cool anymore either

Ben Simmons 25
01-19-2019, 03:12 AM

Well, 30 years is a very short time to definitively say humanity won’t exist as it has for so long to the point that sports are no longer a thing entirely but I largely agree and I will say things will be a lot different and yes that possibility is there.

AI is either going to enhance our existence in a completely unfathomable way or it’s going to wipe us out.

But all that aside... if we disregard this inevitable AI paradigm shift future and things continued on as they have for untold years and AI wasn’t a thing at all... in 100 years there will be precisely 0 people alive that watched MJ play. There will be zero people that watched Kobe at his peak and there might be 10 people total globally that watched Steph play at his peak and weren’t complete children at the time.

The point is... you guys vastly over estimate our brief little popcorn fart lives and even the most impressive among us.

How many sports players legacies have survived 100 years time? Babe Ruth? That’s about it. MJ has a chance but stretch it out to 200 and it’s guaranteed nobody gives a shit or even knows the name at all.

In 200 years precisely 0 people will give a **** about any of us except Elon Musk and he will have to get us to Mars for that to be a thing otherwise he will also be forgotten.

3ball
01-19-2019, 04:00 AM

But almost never in a single half like jordan

And MJ did that without practicing threes, whereas today's player is schooled on 3-pt shooting from junior high

Anytime jordan attempted 3 or more from the regular line, he shot 35-38% - he did that 2 times, and every other year he attempted less than 1.5, so he didn't shoot them except bailouts.. he didn't use the shot at all

Yet if you try to beat him that way (by forcing him to shoot threes), he'll shoot as well as anyone's ever shot, and in the Finals - his next-generation barrage of threes effectively ended the Finals in the first half of game 1..

So just imagine if he played today and had a bunch of sophisticated plays run for him that are designed to maximize threes, like today's player enjoys.. oh, and if he'd been shooting them.his whole life and practicing them everyday

diamenz
01-19-2019, 04:24 AM

the dudes off his meds

that's the dumbest, most beta shit i've ever read.

1987_Lakers
01-19-2019, 04:28 AM
I somewhat agree.

Bill Russell was considered the GOAT in 1980, now people barley mention his name in the GOAT discussion.

Babe Ruth dominated his league more than Jordan did, he is a fan favorite to this day even though he played 100 years ago, but not many people believe he would be the best if he played today.

Same with football, you had guys like Jim Brown & Johnny Unitas considered the best ever, now their names barley get mentioned in the discussion, same with Joe Montana.

The NBA is evolving, to say the same thing will not happen to Jordan is ignorant, whether if it's 20 years from now or 50, it will happen. It's already happening, you see players hitting 3s left and right like it's nothing, when Jordan played that shot was non existent for the most part. People will look back at Jordan's era and laugh at how clogged the court is with no spacing, they will laugh that the power forward position were just bruisers who had no skill. Shit changes in sports, and most of the time it's for the better.

In the NFL before the 80's the west coast offense wasn't popularized, an offense that changed the entire league, and that was only less than 40 years ago. Shit, even kickers now can hit from 52-55 yards on consistent basis, when I first started watching football most teams didn't even attempt those kicks.

kennethgriffen
01-19-2019, 04:34 AM
But almost never in a single half like jordan

And MJ did that without practicing threes, whereas today's player is schooled on 3-pt shooting from junior high

Anytime jordan attempted 3 or more from the regular line, he shot 35-38% - he did that 2 times, and every other year he attempted less than 1.5, so he didn't shoot them except bailouts.. he didn't use the shot at all

Yet if you try to beat him that way (by forcing him to shoot threes), he'll shoot as well as anyone's ever shot, and in the Finals - his next-generation barrage of threes effectively ended the Finals in the first half of game 1..

So just imagine if he played today and had a bunch of sophisticated plays run for him that are designed to maximize threes, like today's player enjoys.. oh, and if he'd been shooting them.his whole life and practicing them everyday

looooooool... stopped reading after the first sentence

kobe has a dozen games with 6 threes in a half

curry probly has 50 already

FOH

kennethgriffen
01-19-2019, 04:53 AM
that's the dumbest, most beta shit i've ever read.

its beta to only respect people who show that same respect back?

sorry. i refuse to help fight 3balls battles anymore... the guy is actually more delusional than lebron fans.. he gives jordan a disservice IMO

if kobe was the arguable goat i wouldnt be puffing my chest out and shitting on other fan bases

3ball
01-19-2019, 05:03 AM

the dudes off his meds

Jordan 98' Playoffs:. 32/5/4.. 28.1 PER.. 0.265 ws/48.. 6.2 bpm.. 1.8 vorp
Bryant 06' Playoffs:.. 27/6/5.. 19.9 PER.. 0.087 ws/48.. 2.1 bpm.. 0.2 vorp
Bryant 01' Playoffs:.. 29/7/6.. 25.1 PER.. 0.260 ws/48.. 7.3 bpm.. 1.6 vorp

And when did Kobe sweep all the MVP's (regular season, Finals, all-star), while winning scoring title and 1st team all defense?... And 4th in dpoy voting... And hit the Finals-winner?.. :biggums:.. :biggums:

3ball
01-19-2019, 05:05 AM
stop
You can't refute it

98' MJ blows peak Kobe away

When did kobe sweep all 3 MVP's, while winning scoring title and 1st team all defense?

And 4th in dpoy voting... And hit the Finals-winner?.. :confusedshrug:

Kobe has never come anywhere near that.. and kobe scores 30% of his team's 4th quarter points while on the floor, compared to 50% for 98' MJ... Not even close - MJ was more dominant, like I said

kennethgriffen
01-19-2019, 05:06 AM
Jordan 98' Playoffs:. 32/5/4.. 28.1 PER.. 0.265 ws/48.. 6.2 bpm.. 1.8 vorp
Bryant 01' Playoffs:.. 29/7/6.. 25.1 PER.. 0.260 ws/48.. 7.3 bpm.. 1.6 vorp

And when did Kobe sweep all the MVP's (regular season, Finals, all-star), while winning scoring title and 1st team all defense?... And hit the Finals-winner?.. :biggums:.. :biggums:

they had to bench 19 year old kobe for the 4th quarter to ensure jordans 98 asg mvp

malone was the true 98 season mvp

and it took some phantom calls in mjs favor and a no call leg chop game winner to win finals mvp

never brag about that shit again

kennethgriffen
01-19-2019, 05:09 AM
You can't refute it

98' MJ blows peak Kobe away

When did kobe sweep all 3 MVP's, while winning scoring title and 1st team all defense?

And 4th in dpoy voting... And hit the Finals-winner?.. :confusedshrug:

Kobe has never come anywhere near that

man you really have lost it

youre worse than simon

this is some delusional insecure shit

mj said himself kobe would beat him in his prime

and youre gonna sit there like the fat 50 year old f@ggot you are and try to tell people that jordan nearly 10 years past his prime is better than peak kobe

youre an abomination and are doing a disservice to mj and his legacy

you put skip to shame

i feel sorry for you

3ball
01-19-2019, 05:09 AM
they had to bench 19 year old kobe for the 4th quarter to ensure jordans 98 asg mvp

malone was the true 98 season mvp

and it took some phantom calls in mjs favor and a no call leg chop game winner to win finals mvp

never brag about that shit again
And kobe scores 30% of his team's 4th quarter points while on the floor in playoffs, compared to 50% for 98' MJ... Not even close - MJ was more dominant, like I said..

The stats, accolades, and eye test goat clutch in his 6th Finals seals the deal easily

kennethgriffen
01-19-2019, 05:17 AM
And kobe scores 30% of his team's 4th quarter points while on the floor in playoffs, compared to 50% for 98' MJ... Not even close - MJ was more dominant, like I said..

The stats, accolades, and eye test goat clutch in his 6th Finals seals the deal easily

i cant believe youd even assume i would entertain reading another post of yours after this display

greed and insecurity has ruined you

lebron fans truly have broken you... theyre letting you do half their work at this point

youre like lebron on his tv show except way worse... saying "he was the goat even 10 years past his prime"

man... never talk to me again.. you destroyed all your cred in some pathetic attempt of greediness the likes of which has never been seen by anyone with any shred of intelligence or decency

elementally morale
01-19-2019, 05:20 AM
[QUOTE=Ben Simmons 25]Well, 30 years is a very short time to definitively say humanity won

3ball
01-19-2019, 05:32 AM
Jordan 98' Playoffs:. 32/5/4.. 28.1 PER.. 0.265 ws/48.. 6.2 bpm.. 1.8 vorp..

Kobe with 33.8% (https://stats.nba.com/player/977/usage/?Season=2005-06&SeasonType=Playoffs&Period=4) of his team's 4th quarter points while on the floor in the 2006 playoffs, compared to 48.8% (https://stats.nba.com/player/893/usage/?Season=1997-98&SeasonType=Playoffs&Period=4) for MJ in 98' PO

Kobe got zero MVP's in 2006, while MJ swept the 3 MVP's in 1998, and had the goat clutch Finals of all time...

Ultimately, 98' MJ wins raw stats, advanced stats, accolades, clutch - and Kobe wins nothing except butchering a 3-1 lead.. only a fool would take 06' Kobe over 98' MJ.. Kobe is a 6'6" iverson chucker, while 98' MJ was blowing our minds with his 6th ring and iconic final shot.. it's not close

(and yes, I was throwing Kobe a bone in the other thread, a pat on the head to the inferior player... :oldlol::.. but you turned on me.. so now I gotta go in on the REAL kobe, a 6'6" iverson chucker, a carried knock-off.. maybe the most carried great player ever.)

kennethgriffen
01-19-2019, 06:06 AM
3ball is legit senile

bullettooth
01-19-2019, 06:10 AM
If that's what the future holds for MJ, then LeBron's legacy is already done for.

3ball
01-19-2019, 06:10 AM
3ball is legit senile
Peak Kobe < 98' MJ

Now get it together, although I know the facts shook you up

he's still probably top 20 after durant 3-peats this year and has 1 more fmvp than kobe.. :yaohappy:.. but you shouldn't be so proud of an iverson chucker like kobe anyway..

Walk on Water
01-19-2019, 06:13 AM
The next Jordan will be doing fade-away 3 pointers.

kennethgriffen
01-19-2019, 07:36 AM
Peak Kobe < 98' MJ

Now get it together, although I know the facts shook you up

he's still probably top 20 after durant 3-peats this year and has 1 more fmvp than kobe.. :yaohappy:.. but you shouldn't be so proud of an iverson chucker like kobe anyway..

you're officially unhinged

epicfadeaway
01-19-2019, 08:21 AM
There's absolutely no way Jordan will be forgotten within the next couple of generations. Nevermind basketball, he's one of the iconic sportsmen of all time across all sports, I can only think of Muhammad Ali, Tiger Woods and perhaps Pele/Maradona as having similar status. It's not just his career statistics, he has the head start and future NBA superstars will always be compared with him.

kennethgriffen
01-19-2019, 08:27 AM
There's absolutely no way Jordan will be forgotten within the next couple of generations. Nevermind basketball, he's one of the iconic sportsmen of all time across all sports, I can only think of Muhammad Ali, Tiger Woods and perhaps Pele/Maradona as having similar status. It's not just his career statistics, he has the head start and future NBA superstars will always be compared with him.

is cousy forgotten? no

but he's passed over due to the evolution of basketball

it is a very real and likely possibility that people will give asterisks to jordan 20-30 years from now when people are hitting 50% threes regularly and its basically 90% of what makes up the total score

Ben Simmons 25
01-19-2019, 08:31 AM
I didn't say there would be no humanity whatsoever 30 years from now. I said... sports as we know them today will disappear. Sure, there will be *something* but it is going to be an altered, enhanced version from today.

I never said you said humanity wouldn’t exist. Re-read the entire sentence.

Some people. Certainly not me.

That was general commentary to the whole thread, not aimed at you. Most of these guys might just barely have three digit IQs if they do at all.

paksat
01-19-2019, 08:34 AM
i think kobe will live on in a pistol pete sorta way

kobes difficult shot making ability and loads of youtube videos displaying them will be mythological

people will say he was a pioneer way ahead of his time

jordans dunks are already pretty tame compared to guys like james white/zach lavine/aaron gordon

his mythology is already kinda dead and the 6 for 6 thing is all we ever really bring up

his mid range 10 foot turn arounds aren't that cool anymore either

my god did you get your feelings hurt or what?

who cares what 3ball has to say, he's another hired nerd just like lebron has hired nerds to prop him up on these boards

you're normally tolerable despite your non-stop kobe stanning but this is just getting silly

kennethgriffen
01-19-2019, 08:48 AM
my god did you get your feelings hurt or what?

who cares what 3ball has to say, he's another hired nerd just like lebron has hired nerds to prop him up on these boards

you're normally tolerable despite your non-stop kobe stanning but this is just getting silly

pierce/chauncey/rose on live tv agreed kobe was more skilled than MJ

its already snowballing and picking up momentum.. dont say i didnt warn ya

Spurs m8
01-19-2019, 08:50 AM
Why is Jordan triggering OP so badly today?

Kobe isn't even in the same discussion, why does OP even care?

paksat
01-19-2019, 08:51 AM
pierce/chauncey/rose on live tv agreed kobe was more skilled than MJ

its already snowballing and picking up momentum.. dont say i didnt warn ya

you're out of your fcking mind if you're picking kobe over jordan

out of it..

jordan had NO weaknesses do you understand that? he simply didn't practice 3's just like wilt didn't practice sky hooks... it wasn't a thing yet

bird himself has stated he NEVER practiced 3's

them guys didn't even play against the real mj anyway... you can't even count 2nd peat mj as mj

if you've never spent time watching 88-91 mj then you haven't seen mj.. and those guys certainly didn't play against that mj, their words have no water

epicfadeaway
01-19-2019, 08:55 AM
is cousy forgotten? no

but he's passed over due to the evolution of basketball

it is a very real and likely possibility that people will give asterisks to jordan 20-30 years from now when people are hitting 50% threes regularly and its basically 90% of what makes up the total score

Yeah basketball is evolving and with the way things are going making threes is going to be the name of the game. BUT Jordan was the greatest in his era and the conditions of play during that time. The Jordan era will only become more nostalgic if the future of basketball becomes as dry as the likes of yourself fear.

kennethgriffen
01-19-2019, 08:59 AM
Why is Jordan triggering OP so badly today?

Kobe isn't even in the same discussion, why does OP even care?

3ball said 98 MJ is better than peak kobe

i can admit jordan had the better career but you gotta give a little to get a lot... and i was offering a lot with my services... all he had to do was admit jordans 9th best version of himself was worse than kobes best

he couldnt even give up that much

so im done fighting battles for him with leturd stans when hes not around.

it was supposed to be a team effort because the lebron trolls out number everyone else combined. especially with the alt problem.

greed is the downfall of man. and in this case michael jordans legacy on ISH going forward

it is now my side mission to destroy jordans legacy and elevate kareems as the true goat... get ready for a revolution

G0ATbe
01-19-2019, 09:03 AM
(and yes, I was throwing Kobe a bone in the other thread, a pat on the head to the inferior player... :oldlol::.. but you turned on me.. so now I gotta go in on the REAL kobe, a 6'6" iverson chucker, a carried knock-off.. maybe the most carried great player ever.)
So this is how you really feel about Kobe:lol ? Why do you pretend he's better than lebron?

kennethgriffen
01-19-2019, 09:10 AM
So this is how you really feel about Kobe:lol ? Why do you pretend he's better than lebron?

the more unhinged 3ball gets the more insecure his posts become

half the media anointing lebron as the goat has made him snap on everyone

he admitted kobe was more skilled than MJ ever was just 2 weeks ago

today hes saying 98 mj is better than kobe ever was

the dudes off his meds going full retard.. he himself is doing more of a disservice to jordans legacy at this point. he needs to leave the board before other kobe fans start getting sick of MJ

we fight most of his battles for him ... hes legit senile

Skip_Bayless
01-19-2019, 11:27 AM
MJ will live on through Kobe, a man who dedicated his life trying to imitate another man only to come up short.

https://fadeawayworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Kobe-Bryant-Wearing-A-Michael-Jordan-Jersey.jpg

Nash
01-19-2019, 11:46 AM
MJ was GOAT for what, 18 years before Lebron became the GOAT in the middle of his prime.

The discussions and comparisons with Lebron has exposed MJ who was the undisputed GOAT and nobody really cared about looking into his career. Shit like 1st round exits and terrible opponents are being brought up to light.

MJ is 2nd greatest of all time and I'm guessing he'll still be top 3 in 20 years time.

Skip_Bayless
01-19-2019, 11:57 AM
When you go 3/9 you aren

kennethgriffen
01-19-2019, 12:01 PM
MJ was GOAT for what, 18 years before Lebron became the GOAT in the middle of his prime.

The discussions and comparisons with Lebron has exposed MJ who was the undisputed GOAT and nobody really cared about looking into his career. Shit like 1st round exits and terrible opponents are being brought up to light.

MJ is 2nd greatest of all time and I'm guessing he'll still be top 3 in 20 years time.

kareems been the true goat since the mid 80s

Manny98
01-19-2019, 12:09 PM
You need at least 3 alpha rings to be in the GOAT conversation so Kareem and Kobe automaticly don't qualify.

Only

LeBron
Jordan
Magic
Duncan

Have legitimate GOAT arguments

ShawkFactory
01-19-2019, 12:12 PM
Babe Ruth hasn

kennethgriffen
01-19-2019, 12:13 PM
You need at least 3 alpha rings to be in the GOAT conversation so Kareem and Kobe automaticly don't qualify.

Only

LeBron
Jordan
Magic
Duncan

if you think lebron has more legit rings than kareem then you definitely need some help

kennethgriffen
01-19-2019, 12:16 PM
[QUOTE=ShawkFactory]Babe Ruth hasn

ShawkFactory
01-19-2019, 12:19 PM
big difference... baseball is still played the same way

if all teams did today was bunt guys around the bases and somehow it was figured out that it was a more effective way of scoring ( like threes have been ) and home runs were nearly entirely written out of the game like mid range shooting has been...

then you'd have a point
You just equated midrange shooting to home runs. Stop.

The point...is that legends don’t die. Football is played completely differently and people still remember Johnny Unitas and Jim Brown

Manny98
01-19-2019, 12:19 PM
if you think lebron has more legit rings than kareem then you definitely need some help
Kareem rode Magics coatails for like half of his rings

Same way Kobe rode Shaq

LeBron and Jordan are the only 2 players that have won at least 3 championships whilst being the alpha 1st option 100% of the time

http://n.sinaimg.cn/sinacn/20170816/35c1-fyixiay7967688.jpg

kennethgriffen
01-19-2019, 12:27 PM
Kareem rode Magics coatails for like half of his rings

Same way Kobe rode Shaq

LeBron and Jordan are the only 2 players that have won at least 3 championships whilst being the alpha 1st option 100% of the time

http://n.sinaimg.cn/sinacn/20170816/35c1-fyixiay7967688.jpg

Kobe Bryant > Lebron James
Bill Russell > Tim Duncan
Kareem Abdul Jabbar > Magic Johnson
Wilt Chamberlain > Shaquille O'neal

jordan is the only guy worthy of being in that top 5 if we cut out all the bullshit

duncan stole finals mvp from manu in 05

lebron has 3 colluded ring chased bullshit titles saved by bail outs/suspensions or won in fake lockout seasons

magic never played a lick of defense

and shaqs a journeyman that got swept or 1-4'd out of the playoffs every single year when he didn't have a legendary wing in his absolute prime

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
01-19-2019, 12:28 PM
big difference... baseball is still played the same way

if all teams did today was bunt guys around the bases and somehow it was figured out that it was a more effective way of scoring ( like threes have been ) and home runs were nearly entirely written out of the game like mid range shooting has been...

then you'd have a point

Three's were relevant back in Jordan's day though.

Reggie Miller
Drazen
Bird
Dale Ellis
Jeff Hornacek
Dennis Scott
Ray Allen
Dan Majerle
Hersey Hawkins
Mitch Richmond
Chris Mullin
Glen Rice

If you watched then? You'd probably know these players were great 3PT shooters. If you didn't? You could always look it up.

They shot it with enough frequency to garner that rep.

Point being? Using your logic MJ would still be relevant. Kobe is the guy who imitated MJ yet ended up being a cheaper imitation. A knock-off brand, ie. ultimately forgettable.

kennethgriffen
01-19-2019, 12:32 PM
Three's were relevant back in Jordan's day though.

Reggie Miller
Drazen
Bird
Dale Ellis
Jeff Hornacek
Dennis Scott
Ray Allen
Dan Majerle
Hersey Hawkins
Mitch Richmond
Chris Mullin
Glen Rice

If you watched then? You'd probably know these players were great 3PT shooters. If you didn't? You could always look it up.

They shot it with enough frequency to garner that rep.

Point being? Using your logic MJ would still be relevant. Kobe is the guy who imitated MJ yet ended up being a cheaper imitation. A knock-off brand, ie. ultimately forgettable.

bird averaged 0.7 made threes a game

today theres guys averaging nearly 6 a game

its completely different... in 10 years guys will be making nearly 10 a game

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
01-19-2019, 12:38 PM
bird averaged 0.7 made threes a game

today theres guys averaging nearly 6 a game

its completely different... in 10 years guys will be making nearly 10 a game

Majerle had a season whre he averaged 5 a game.
Rice had one where he averaged ~6 a game
Dale had one where he averaged ~6 a game
Reggie had a season in the 90s where he averaged ~7

etc

Nobody denies players shoot more threes today. Your analogy is retarded because players shot a lot of threes then too. They were a staple of the game.

tpols
01-19-2019, 12:40 PM
jordan is a babe ruth esque figure... he will be remembered for 100 years.

the crazy thing is how time eventually elapses everything...there were probably crazy gladiator athletes thousands of years ago nobody knows about now. the whole nba will be a tiny footnote in history 1000 years from now.

ShawkFactory
01-19-2019, 12:42 PM

the crazy thing is how time eventually elapses everything...there were probably crazy gladiator athletes thousands of years ago nobody knows about now. the whole nba will be a tiny footnote in history 1000 years from now.
But apparently baseball is still played the same as it was when Ruth played :lol

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
01-19-2019, 12:45 PM

Yeah.

We enjoyed our stars and even past ones not too far gone. Fact is there might only be a half dozen...that wont be footnotes in history.

Time is a ruthless mother****er.

ballinhun8
01-19-2019, 12:45 PM
I skipped to the last page on this thread but I doubt Jordan will ever be buried and forgotten when half the guys in the league are signed to his brand and the other half wish that Jumpman sought them :lol

tpols
01-19-2019, 12:58 PM
Yeah.

We enjoyed our stars and even past ones not too far gone. Fact is there might only be a half dozen...that wont be footnotes in history.

we need to give kenny a little perspective from our friend carl.

https://spirofloblog.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/sagan.jpg

Legacies are all equal in the long run... enjoy what you got now.

JEFFERSON MONEY
01-19-2019, 01:10 PM

Yet somehow, someway most of us have received the following

- LIFE
- Adequate nutrition perfectly assimilated into our bodies as nutrients
- Clothing
- Fresh clean pure water to quench our thirst
- Hundreds and thousands of various food products and crops and vegetation
- The materials (graphite, wood) necessary for Pencils and papers and books to grow in knowledge and the ability to read and write..schools
- Buildings and shelter
- The ability of speech
- Being able to walk upright
- Modesty/Jealousy/Virtue
- Intuition
- Ability to smile
- The ability to read
- Children breastfed their mother's milk
- The faculties of reason and cognitive function
- A moral conscience
- Protection each and every moment from hundreds if not thousands of calamities
- Respect and love

You know for people so insignificant in the vast sphere of things----we sure get treated very special.

I wonder why? or rather--by Who?

kennethgriffen
01-19-2019, 01:12 PM

4 billion miles away and you can still see earth?

that actually makes us seem bigger than i originally thought

this actually has the opposite effect the person who made it was hoping for

tpols
01-19-2019, 01:25 PM

- LIFE
- Clothing
- The materials (graphite, wood) necessary for Pencils and papers and books to grow in knowledge and the ability to read and write..schools
- Buildings and shelter
- The ability of speech
- Intuition
- Ability to smile
- The ability to read
- A moral conscience
- Respect and love

You know for people so insignificant in the vast sphere of things----we sure get treated very special.

never said it was insignifcant. quite the opposite.

j$ it is a miracle that all those things happened in such a tiny space. Everything else is desolate.

you took it the wrong way

doesnt mean you have to wonder "who" or why... it is what it is.

tpols
01-19-2019, 01:32 PM
4 billion miles away and you can still see earth?

that actually makes us seem bigger than i originally thought

this actually has the opposite effect the person who made it was hoping for

you seem to have this contrarion rationalization with everything.

3ball
01-19-2019, 02:13 PM

This is exactly true I believe

bigkingsfan
01-19-2019, 02:16 PM
Basketball won’t even be around in 100 years

tpols
01-19-2019, 02:17 PM
This is exactly true I believe

so whats the point arguing over it so much instead of just building and enjoying your good life?

3ball
01-19-2019, 02:26 PM
so whats the point arguing over it so much instead of just building and enjoying your good life?
Who says I'm not building anything

You don't know what I'm doing

This site is entertainment for me, nothing more.. look what I did to Kenneth.. you should be talking to him

baudkarma
01-19-2019, 02:27 PM

Any prediction is safe if you don't put a timeframe on it. Yes, Jordan will be buried and forgotten at some point in the future. When do you think that will happen? 10 years from now? 20? 50? 100? More?

Let me toss a few names at you while you're thinking about that...

Jim Brown
Gordie Howe
Babe Ruth

Have you heard those names before? Sure you have. They're legends, even though their individual accomplishments have long since been eclipsed. Find a list of the best players ever in their respective sports, and they'll likely be on it. Babe Ruth died 70 years ago, but when Shohei Ohtani joined MLB last season, who was he compared to? Yeah, Sports Illustrated called him "Japan's Babe Ruth", without any worries that readers would raise their eyebrows and say "Babe WHO?"

Jordan is considered the GOAT by many people. Eventually some player will come along who will take that title from him, but it's going to be a long, long time before MJ fades into irrelevance.

tpols
01-19-2019, 02:33 PM
Who says I'm not building anything

You don't know what I'm doing

This site is entertainment for me, nothing more.. look what I did to Kenneth.. you should be talking to him

didnt say you werent building anything. why'd you leave out "enjoying" in your response?

Just that you obviously have the potential for more. that's why i said you had a good life. why not make it better?

this site is nothing but an addiction for you.

AlternativeAcc.
01-19-2019, 02:40 PM
didnt say you werent building anything. why'd you leave out "enjoying" in your response?

Just that you obviously have the potential for more. that's why i said you had a good life. why not make it better?

https://gifimage.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/black-kid-gif-2.gif

3ball
01-19-2019, 02:45 PM

Again, you don't know what I'm doing or my career.. I appreciate the concern though.. you seem like a nice person

AirFederer
01-19-2019, 02:47 PM
M
e
L
t
down

Matppak
01-19-2019, 03:04 PM
Come on bro I like Kobe but your going to far. Kobe took 2x as many 3pt attempts as Jordan and made .002% better that's not being a better shooter. If anything Jordan in today's game would avg 38 or 39% from 3 avg more that 3 attempts. Mj for a career shot 50%from the field and Kobe did it like 3 or 4 times to be generous while MJ was the guy all those years and Kobe was not leading in scoring every year.

As far as becoming boring Jordan was one of the best around the rim and off the glass we've ever seen. If his post game gets boring then so does Kobes and Kawhis and anyone who ever use a post game because he master all aspects of the post up game. So it took 25 years to for 3 players to finally be able to do Jordan's dunks that's pretty damn good for holding the test of time.

If anything your arguements hold water against lebron only as far as Kareem he couldn't do anything without a great PG so he cant be the goat Magic was the Alpha on all those teams I got MJ Magic Larry Russell Kareem Duncan Kobe and so on lebron is some where behind all that I'd even put Isaiah in front of him

Kobe was Jordan lite and Jordan was just the GOAT dont let lebron stans cloud your judgement

And1AllDay
01-19-2019, 03:30 PM
Been sayin it for a while, MJ has no range just good dunks. Check YouTube if you dont believe me.

Id take Kobe over Mike because Kobe can shoot tbh

Marchesk
01-19-2019, 03:35 PM
It's better to compare Jordan's legacy to Wilt or Bill Russell than Cousy. Wilt has the monster stats, some of which are practically unbreakable. Russell has all those championships, which is not likely to be repeated.

Jordan's legacy is a combination of the two. Six championships winning all the FMVPs is unprecedented and really hard to do. So is averaging 30 for a career. And Jordan's playoff average will be really hard to beat.

So Jordan will be talked about for a long time.

Marchesk
01-19-2019, 03:37 PM
Been sayin it for a while, MJ has no range just good dunks. Check YouTube if you dont believe me.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

StrongLurk
01-19-2019, 05:04 PM

- LIFE
- Clothing
- Buildings and shelter
- The ability of speech
- Intuition
- Ability to smile
- The ability to read
- A moral conscience
- Respect and love

Is this dude implying what I think he is? And LOL at that list somehow supporting his implied statement in any logical fashion.

Humans only have each other and that's how it's always been. If you think humanity has been mostly the leisure enjoyment of recent modernized living (in developed countries) then you are ignorant as *** about the insane survival struggles of past humans. Life was day-to-day survival for 99% of humans over 99% of history.

There is no "higher power" interfering and controlling every part of reality.

mr4speed
01-19-2019, 07:56 PM

Only

LeBron
Jordan
Magic
Duncan

Kareem has 3 alpha rings in 71 and 80 and 85 ??

72-10
01-19-2019, 08:27 PM
Why hasn't the thread been locked.

72-10
01-19-2019, 08:31 PM
But apparently baseball is still played the same as it was when Ruth played :lol

Apparently Ruth is still clearly the greatest player to most folks.

72-10
01-19-2019, 08:41 PM
Yeah.

That's not true. Your post kind of defies the concept of a Hall of Fame. Hall of Famers had game.

And1AllDay
01-19-2019, 09:59 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll:

What Mike has a bunch of YouTube fans that like to watch him dunk on 6'1 players

And1AllDay
01-19-2019, 10:00 PM
Kareem has 3 alpha rings in 71 and 80 and 85 ??

Im not even making this up you can even google it or use basketball reference but he actually only has two this is true story.

Not even a joke but for real for real he has two not three so sorry

:oldlol:

mr4speed
01-19-2019, 11:21 PM
Im not even making this up you can even google it or use basketball reference but he actually only has two this is true story.

Not even a joke but for real for real he has two not three so sorry

:oldlol:
Kareem was voted the 80 FMVP after Magic's great game 6 but CBS freaked out and did not want to present the award to an empty chair. The 7 voters were asked to change their votes so Magic would win the award. One of the voters ( Bill Livingston - a beat reporter for Philly) came forward to explain what happened out of respect for Kareem and to clear his conscience. It is covered on pgs 140-141 in the book "Kareem". Kareem was the biggest reason LA won the other 3 games of that series and was clearly the best player, so he was the alpha dog in 1980 and should be seen as having 3 FMVP to make your list - just sayin...

Duncan21formvp
01-19-2019, 11:37 PM
About as much as Babe Ruth in Baseball or great leaders in history like Alexander the Great.

bullettooth
01-19-2019, 11:38 PM
MJ's legacy will be fine. But LeBron will eventually be remembered the same way as Jerry West; the guy that kept losing.

egokiller
01-19-2019, 11:42 PM

Because when he invokes a nice and tasty meltdown response, it puts a smile on his face. He converts that positive energy into succeeding at whatever he's doing in real life. It's a win win situation for him and everyone on that side because it's the side that has all the facts to support his argument. No one even listens to someone that didn't watch MJ play. Their opinion has no value because it isn't based on anything. It's like commenting on a movie you never saw. No one is going to listen to it. The cherry on top is how the other side falls into playing such a rigged game. He already witnessed GOAT MJ, everything else that comes after is just a bonus whereas the other side has to struggle and wonder what it might have been like to be in his shoes and witness such GOAT level play. A level of play that no one has seen since MJ left the game. :applause:

kennethgriffen
01-20-2019, 12:35 AM
Again, you don't know what I'm doing or my career.. I appreciate the concern though.. you seem like a nice person

why cant you rank these 4 players individually

1989 michael jordan
1990 michael jordan
2012 lebron james
2013 lebron james

DidUSaySomethin
01-20-2019, 02:14 AM
Kobe Bryant > Lebron James
Bill Russell > Tim Duncan
Kareem Abdul Jabbar > Magic Johnson
Wilt Chamberlain > Shaquille O'neal

jordan is the only guy worthy of being in that top 5 if we cut out all the bullshit

duncan stole finals mvp from manu in 05

lebron has 3 colluded ring chased bullshit titles saved by bail outs/suspensions or won in fake lockout seasons

magic never played a lick of defense

and shaqs a journeyman that got swept or 1-4'd out of the playoffs every single year when he didn't have a legendary wing in his absolute prime

duncan deserved the finals MVP in 05 and 07

DidUSaySomethin
01-20-2019, 02:18 AM
Come on bro I like Kobe but your going to far. Kobe took 2x as many 3pt attempts as Jordan and made .002% better that's not being a better shooter. If anything Jordan in today's game would avg 38 or 39% from 3 avg more that 3 attempts. Mj for a career shot 50%from the field and Kobe did it like 3 or 4 times to be generous while MJ was the guy all those years and Kobe was not leading in scoring every year.

As far as becoming boring Jordan was one of the best around the rim and off the glass we've ever seen. If his post game gets boring then so does Kobes and Kawhis and anyone who ever use a post game because he master all aspects of the post up game. So it took 25 years to for 3 players to finally be able to do Jordan's dunks that's pretty damn good for holding the test of time.

If anything your arguements hold water against lebron only as far as Kareem he couldn't do anything without a great PG so he cant be the goat Magic was the Alpha on all those teams I got MJ Magic Larry Russell Kareem Duncan Kobe and so on lebron is some where behind all that I'd even put Isaiah in front of him

Kobe was Jordan lite and Jordan was just the GOAT dont let lebron stans cloud your judgement

that's cause the league shortened the 3pt line in the mid 90s. and duncan's better than magic and bird

Soundwave
01-20-2019, 04:32 AM
If it was going to happen it would've happened already, it's been 20+ years since he played for the Bulls and despite a handful of sad posters on this board, the fact is by and large by the public he's still considered the GOAT and I see more kids rocking Jordan brand shoes than Curry or LeBron shoes.

I kinda wish kids today actually would move on, but the GOAT is the GOAT. But it would be freaking nice to be able to get a pair of damn Air Jordan XIs without having to line up or reserve them 2 months in advance because of a bunch of kids.

LeBron and Kobe will be the ones who in 5-8 years will be far less known they both still benefit from recency bias, take that away and their legacies will shrink.

sportjames23
01-20-2019, 06:08 AM
If it was going to happen it would've happened already, it's been 20+ years since he played for the Bulls and despite a handful of sad posters on this board, the fact is by and large by the public he's still considered the GOAT and I see more kids rocking Jordan brand shoes than Curry or LeBron shoes.

I kinda wish kids today actually would move on, but the GOAT is the GOAT. But it would be freaking nice to be able to get a pair of damn Air Jordan XIs without having to line up or reserve them 2 months in advance because of a bunch of kids.

LeBron and Kobe will be the ones who in 5-8 years will be far less known they both still benefit from recency bias, take that away and their legacies will shrink.

:cheers:

kennethgriffen
01-20-2019, 06:14 AM

na because people like myself who watched mj play are still the majority of nba fans

once we move on MJs legacy will be shat on and buried

look at the media.. only skip and stephen a smith back mj anymore. everyone else hates the guy

1987_Lakers
03-27-2024, 12:54 AM

It's already happening.

ImKobe
03-27-2024, 03:53 AM
It's already happening.

No it's not. Jordan was one of the GOAT mid-range shooters and shot 39% from 3 for a 3-Peat. Jokic, SGA & Giannis are doing just fine without shooting volume 3s.

Kblaze8855
03-27-2024, 09:48 AM
Of course it’s happening. That is indisputable. You can say it shouldn’t, but you can’t say it isn’t. I’ve been saying for a good 15 years people would move Jordan out of the way because people always think the old way was inferior. I was told it wouldn’t happen because we have YouTube now and kids can watch videos. It’s a never ending cycle. We are less than 10 years from the same thing happening to LeBron. No generation ever thinks their dad‘s favorite player was as good as he says they were.

eventually, we get somewhere near the area of what is possible for humans to do and the athletes stop getting much better, but they are trained to do different things. You have the same genetic potential but different training and skill sets. I think we reached that point sometime ago but fans are going to keep saying the game is way better and way more athletic now for probably 50 more years.

in 20 years, kids might be on here who were born five years ago, saying Ja Morant, Giannis, and Zion were great athletes, but there were only a couple more of them. If you think video showing otherwise will prevent it, you’re just turning a blind eye to how much footage there is of great athletes before now who get ignored.

It is not preventable. The kids will always be ignorant of even the recent past but they won’t stop telling you they know what they’re talking about. Even adults do it now. People on here born in 1992 tell me about players they never watched in 1994 all the time.

Thats just the world.

Phoenix
03-27-2024, 09:57 AM
Of course it’s happening. That is indisputable. You can say it shouldn’t, but you can’t say it isn’t. I’ve been saying for a good 15 years people would move Jordan out of the way because people always think the old way was inferior. I was told it wouldn’t happen because we have YouTube now and kids can watch videos. It’s a never ending cycle. We are less than 10 years from the same thing happening to LeBron. No generation ever thinks their dad‘s favorite player was as good as he says they were.

eventually, we get somewhere near the area of what is possible for humans to do and the athletes stop getting much better, but they are trained to do different things. You have the same genetic potential but different training and skill sets. I think we reached that point sometime ago but fans are going to keep saying the game is way better and way more athletic now for probably 50 more years.

in 20 years, kids might be on here who were born five years ago, saying Ja Morant, Giannis, and Zion were great athletes, but there were only a couple more of them. If you think video showing otherwise will prevent it, you’re just turning a blind eye to how much footage there is of great athletes before now who get ignored.

It is not preventable. The kids will always be ignorant of even the recent past but they won’t stop telling you they know what they’re talking about. Even adults do it now. People on here born in 1992 tell me about players they never watched in 1994 all the time.

Thats just the world.

Reminds me of the conversation I had last night with my stepson's wife( they're mid 20s) talking about older movies and shows. Star Trek came up as something she enjoys and my mind flashed to the original series, next generation and Deep Space nine. She said she couldn't get into any of that stuff but thinks Star Trek Discovery is the best thing ever. Also talked about how much social media impacts younger generations compared to decades ago. She tells me she learns alot of stuff from Tik-tok, which is very evident about 10 seconds after she starts talking.

Pretty much tuned out from there. I've reached old man shouting at the clouds status.

elementally morale
03-27-2024, 11:32 AM
Reminds me of the conversation I had last night with my stepson's wife( they're mid 20s) talking about older movies and shows. Star Trek came up as something she enjoys and my mind flashed to the original series, next generation and Deep Space nine. She said she couldn't get into any of that stuff but thinks Star Trek Discovery is the best thing ever. Also talked about how much social media impacts younger generations compared to decades ago. She tells me she learns alot of stuff from Tik-tok, which is very evident about 10 seconds after she starts talking.

Pretty much tuned out from there. I've reached old man shouting at the clouds status.

When I rewatch 30 year-old movies I once liked I often feel boredom. It seems very slow and many times the plot looks thin. It's interesting because I felt it to be perfectly okay back in the day and if anything, I should've been more impatient when I was 20. And sure, in many aspects of life I have more patience now but watching a story unfold is not one of them. If a new movie or TV show is being created with pace and plot that was common 30 years ago, it is garbage almost all the time.

As for basketball, I think the new generation is looking for more drama and quicker stories. Why? Because basketball is competing for time with other forms of entertainment. And as the world sped up the game has to follow suit for it to not become slow and boring for the masses. It is more and more about highlights and not games. Almost never about a story that is unfolding for years. Interestingly, when watching basketball I'm more interested in the story of a game, the story of a championship and the story of player and/or team rising than the actual plays. But it seems to me to be the exception because in other aspects of life I find it hard to follow very slow stories. I guess the world has changed me a lot the last 20 years and for some, as of yet unknown reason it is less so when it comes to me watching sports.

Phoenix
03-27-2024, 11:47 AM
When I rewatch 30 year-old movies I once liked I often feel boredom. It seems very slow and many times the plot looks thin. It's interesting because I felt it to be perfectly okay back in the day and if anything, I should've been more impatient when I was 20. And sure, in many aspects of life I have more patience now but watching a story unfold is not one of them. If a new movie or TV show is being created with pace and plot that was common 30 years ago, it is garbage almost all the time.

As for basketball, I think the new generation is looking for more drama and quicker stories. Why? Because basketball is competing for time with other forms of entertainment. And as the world sped up the game has to follow suit for it to not become slow and boring for the masses. It is more and more about highlights and not games. Almost never about a story that is unfolding for years. Interestingly, when watching basketball I'm more interested in the story of a game, the story of a championship and the story of player and/or team rising than the actual plays. But it seems to me to be the exception because in other aspects of life I find it hard to follow very slow stories. I guess the world has changed me a lot the last 20 years and for some, as of yet unknown reason it is less so when it comes to me watching sports.

Oh that's not to say earlier I think everything was better back then, I'm not that naive. I watch some older cartoons like He-man and Thundercats that I came up on and cringe at the dialogue and wafer-thin plots, same for some older movies but I do think the very creme de la creme holds up, but you could say that about stuff from every generation.

bullettooth
03-27-2024, 11:59 AM
MJ's legacy will be fine. But LeBron will eventually be remembered the same way as Jerry West; the guy that kept losing.

Five years later and it's still true.

elementally morale
03-27-2024, 12:29 PM
Oh that's not to say earlier I think everything was better back then, I'm not that naive. I watch some older cartoons like He-man and Thundercats that I came up on and cringe at the dialogue and wafer-thin plots, same for some older movies but I do think the very creme de la creme holds up, but you could say that about stuff from every generation.

After having given it some more thought I think basketball is the exception for me because this (watching the games, looking at analysis, reading articles about it, etc.) is the activity I usually do when I want to slow down. It is either the end or the start of my days (I'm in Europe) so I'm a bit 'outside' my everyday life.

And yes, some of my favorite movies are from the 90s. The average of the 90s still bores me now. It's not necessarily bad but usually very slow. The 80s are like another universe. It's strange I was a teen and wasn't bored then. But I was and I wasn't.

SATAN
03-27-2024, 04:19 PM
Michael Jordan stans and casuals completely ruined basketball discussion for decades on end. Well done guys. Give yourselves a pat on the back.

We all should have just ignored them and excluded them.