PDA

View Full Version : Westbrook is a terrible defender..

Lebronxrings
11-20-2016, 11:07 PM
Guys are having their best games against him. Tonight Teague had 30. :lol

pedromarinho
11-20-2016, 11:52 PM
Poor OKC fans. Left with the worst of the 3...

It must hurt them seeing KD and Harden atm...

warriorfan
11-21-2016, 12:00 AM
Poor OKC fans. Left with the worst of the 3...

It must hurt them seeing KD and Harden atm...

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/ignore_jpg_scale_super/11/117031/3783720-lol.gif

JohnMax
11-21-2016, 12:17 AM
13-34(38%), 7 TO's, -18, allowed Teague to go off, lost to a team that were 0-5 on the road without their best player.

imdaman99
11-21-2016, 12:20 AM
Bunch of boxscore watching nerds in here, he wasn't even the one covering Teague :roll:

CTbasketball92
11-21-2016, 12:27 AM
His usage rate is like 43% lol. I'll live with bad defense occasionally, and that's if he even guarded Teague in the first place.

tmacattack33
11-21-2016, 12:49 AM
Actually, the OP likely didn't even watch the game, and Westbrook's defense is quite good.

ClipperRevival
11-21-2016, 10:16 AM
Wesbrook isn't a great on-the-ball defender. He is more of gambler/lane jumper who can cover ground. I've seldom seen him just accept the challenge of shutting down an elite PG and doing it. He plays hard on D but not with the discipline.

iznogood
11-21-2016, 10:33 AM
Wesbrook isn't a great on-the-ball defender. He is more of gambler/lane jumper who can cover ground. I've seldom seen him just accept the challenge of shutting down an elite PG and doing it. He plays hard on D but not with the discipline.
This is false, he doesn't play hard at all. He doesn't return to defense when he doesn't get a call on the offense, he doesn't hustle to pick up his man in transition, his closeouts are terrible...these are all effort plays. Furthermore he lets his man cut backdoor all the time and gets cought ballwatching.

Good post by OP, Westbrook's defense is beyond terrible. I wanted to open this same thread after every game, but never actually invested the effort to do so. About a week ago he let Elfrid Payton, who is a terrible offensive player score 6 or 8 easy points in the first quarter. Orlando went on a run and OKC never managed to come back. And it was not like Payton would've miraculously made some jumpers, all of them were drives to the basket. No effort from Westbrook whatsoever.

I'm asking myself how can anybody say this guy is such a fierce competitor. He has excellent tools to play good defese and he refuses to. I'd understand if he was coasting a little since he's got to carry a team on offense, but he makes all these stupid high effort plays like darting for steals, going for blocks or even stealing rebounds from his teammates. If he just played some disciplined defense it would be much better. He already gets the easiest defensive assignment every night since Oladipo and Roberson do the dirty work.

Rocketswin2013
11-21-2016, 12:53 PM
Yeah this is why he's the 3rd or 4th best PG in the league to me.

3ball
11-21-2016, 12:58 PM
...................................Westbrook...... ...............Jordan

Height:..............................6'3"...........................6'6"
Vertical:............................37"............................44"+
Dunks Per Season..............50............................ ..150
Shooting...................35% midrange............50% midrange (goat)
Smarts:...................dumb, TO prone........ goat smarts, lowest TO
Defense:........................horrible.......... ..............DPOY

http://sneakernews.com/2012/10/18/michael-jordan-named-1988-defensive-player-of-the-year/

Westbrook, a poverty Jordan, proves how goat Jordan would be in today's spaced-out game where the league has MANDATED that perimeter defense is HANDS-OFF

AirBonner
11-21-2016, 01:22 PM

http://sneakernews.com/2012/10/18/michael-jordan-named-1988-defensive-player-of-the-year/

Westbrook, a poverty Jordan, proves how goat Jordan would be in today's spaced-out game where the league has MANDATED that perimeter defense is HANDS-OFF
No one gives a fvck about Jordan in a westbrook thread you dumbass.

miggyme1
11-21-2016, 07:00 PM
he is responsible for too much on the offensive end to be worried about defense.....plus that's why I THOUGHT they brought oladipo in to guard opposing pgs but I see billy Donovan hasn't figured that out yet. you can live with the opposing pg going off for 30 when you are averaging a triple double while averaging 30ppg a game....lol....hard to tell that guy "hey you need to play better defense".....plus it aint the playoffs

kshutts1
11-21-2016, 07:14 PM

1) No one in this thread said Westbrook is anywhere near Jordan, much less as good as, or better than, him.
2) Enough with the hyperbole. Saying Jordan had the GOAT midrange % is inaccurate. Saying Jordan had the "lowest" TO is inaccurate.
3) In regards to TOs in particular, they only became "low" (relative to his ball dominance) once Pippen came along. When Jordan was being asked to be the Westbrook for his team, Jordan's TOs were up above 3.1 in every full season he played. Cite -- http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jordami01.html

I challenge you to cite your posts when you claim that Jordan (or anyone) is the "best" or "worst" in a STAT.

I also challenge you to STFU when your response is completely uncalled for and unnecessary within the current conversation.

SouBeachTalents
11-21-2016, 08:14 PM

Holy shit you're fuccing pathetic :oldlol:

AirBonner
11-21-2016, 08:17 PM
1) No one in this thread said Westbrook is anywhere near Jordan, much less as good as, or better than, him.
2) Enough with the hyperbole. Saying Jordan had the GOAT midrange % is inaccurate. Saying Jordan had the "lowest" TO is inaccurate.
3) In regards to TOs in particular, they only became "low" (relative to his ball dominance) once Pippen came along. When Jordan was being asked to be the Westbrook for his team, Jordan's TOs were up above 3.1 in every full season he played. Cite -- http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jordami01.html

I challenge you to cite your posts when you claim that Jordan (or anyone) is the "best" or "worst" in a STAT.

I also challenge you to STFU when your response is completely uncalled for and unnecessary within the current conversation.
Savage :lol

NZStreetBaller
11-21-2016, 11:01 PM
Most dudes who have to carry their teams entire offense wont do alot of defending. Look at hardens numbers compared to his team mates westbrooks iversons etc

ClipperRevival
11-21-2016, 11:23 PM
he is responsible for too much on the offensive end to be worried about defense.....plus that's why I THOUGHT they brought oladipo in to guard opposing pgs but I see billy Donovan hasn't figured that out yet. you can live with the opposing pg going off for 30 when you are averaging a triple double while averaging 30ppg a game....lol....hard to tell that guy "hey you need to play better defense".....plus it aint the playoffs

Except if your name is Michael Jordan. Probably the best 2 guard defender ever along with his GOAT level scoring. The amount of energy/stamina needed to dominate both ends is just absurd.

But yeah, for most mortals, being great at one end is tiring enough.

3ball
11-21-2016, 11:56 PM
Saying Jordan had the GOAT midrange % is inaccurate.

Show me someone that shot 49% from midrange on 1202 attempts - these are nba.com stats:

http://stats.nba.com/player/#!/893/stats/shooting/?Season=1996-97&SeasonType=Regular%20Season

No one in history is REMOTELY close to this volume and efficiency.. By comparison, Curry shot 41% on 285 attempts in 2015.. Durant's best is about 700 attempts at 45%... No one is close to Jordan's midrange volume and percentage.

Furthermore, Jordan shot 51.1% from midrange during a 91 game sample from 1990-1992, as compiled by reputed poster PHILA, seen here (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=317950)..

Again, no one is REMOTELY CLOSE to this volume and efficiency.. Dude, I don't lie in these forums - you guys are just so surprised and previously unaware of the truth that I post, that you can't believe it and use dumb logic to disprove it (see the example at the bottom about how Tristan Thompson has lower TO's than MJ).

You guys are just ignorant of the game - Jordan was ALWAYS an off-ball player, a SG - he was NEVER a Westbrook (PG), except for 24 games in 1989 when he started at PG and averaged 30/9/11, including 10 triple-doubles in 11 games (read about it here (http://ballislife.com/michael-jordan-could-of-been-the-best-point-guard-ever-want-proof/))..

So now you're the one lying, by saying Jordan had a "westbrook-role" in his early years - he did NOT - he was not the PG, and usually didn't bring the ball up the floor - he played OFF-ball and received passes where he spotted up for midrange jumpers or made a quick slash to the rim.

Have you ever taken 30 minutes out of your day to fire up youtube and watch Jordan's rookie game highlights or 2nd/3rd year highlights?... He played OFF-BALL for most possessions.. He played off-ball just as much or more than he did when Pippen and Phil came along.

Saying Jordan had the "lowest" TO is inaccurate.

Among the all-time great wings that he's compared to, Jordan DID have the lowest turnovers - out of Wade, Lebron, Kobe, Westbrook, YOU NAME IT - Jordan's TO's are significantly lower.

Of course, you're taking it literally, to smear me - like, you're thinking "Tristan Thompson had less TO's than Jordan, so I can say 3ball is lying itt".

But that's just dumb thinking - obviously, Jordan needs to be compared to other high-scoring wings that people compare to him - and among them, Jordan's TO's are the lowest.. For example, thru their first 3 rings each, Lebron averages 27/10/7 ppg and 4.0 TO's Finals averages, compared to Jordan's 36/7/8 and 2.7 to's.. Jordan blows him and any other great wing away.