PDA

View Full Version : Dion Waiters agrees to 1 year/2.9M deal with the Miami Heat

Fudge
07-25-2016, 03:03 PM
Jon KrawczynskiVerified account
‏@APkrawczynski
AP Sources with @ByTimReynolds: Dion Waiters has agreed to a 1-year deal with Heat for $2.9M exception.
Good pickup.

Better than current Wade.

imdaman99
07-25-2016, 03:04 PM
Better than current Wade? Does that mean the Heat get to the eastern conference finals next season?

Fudge
07-25-2016, 03:06 PM
Better than current Wade? Does that mean the Heat get to the eastern conference finals next season?
Probably not.

No more Joe Johnson or Luol Deng. Bosh' health remains questionable.

PJR
07-25-2016, 03:15 PM
Not a big fan of Waiters, but I'll take him for that price.

Nash
07-25-2016, 03:28 PM
he opted out of 6m, damn. 4m down the drain.

bigkingsfan
07-25-2016, 03:51 PM
Dude needs to sign solomon hill's agent.

GoatBoy
07-25-2016, 03:57 PM
Good pickup.

You don't mean that :biggums:

Fudge
07-25-2016, 03:58 PM
Nah, OKC rescinded his qualifying offer. :lol

They take another L.

TylerOO
07-25-2016, 04:07 PM
Compared to other contracts, this piece of shit got shit!

Needs a new agent ASAP

Kiddlovesnets
07-25-2016, 04:08 PM
Wow thats insane, OKC takes another L.

HurricaneKid
07-25-2016, 04:08 PM
Could have just signed the QO at 6.8M. But he actually thought he was going to get more...

As if anyone wants Dion Waiters.

Hey Yo
07-25-2016, 04:12 PM
Could have just signed the QO at 6.8M. But he actually thought he was going to get more...

But.....but....he's one of the great players (along with Bennett and Tristan Thompson) that LeBron was supposedly colluding with when he said he was coming back to Cleveland!!

Duderonomy
07-25-2016, 04:19 PM
Lol everyone getting paid but Waiters getting a near minimum deal.

HylianNightmare
07-25-2016, 04:35 PM
Bargain

RedBlackAttack
07-25-2016, 04:49 PM
That is completely nuts. With the contracts going around this offseason, he's worth more than >$3 million.

I can't help but feel a little sorry for Dion even though he threw some shade at the Cavs when he was first traded. If he is only getting 1 year deals for that low of a dollar amount at his age? He's probably headed out of the league in the not too distant future unless things change drastically.

He has really fallen hard.

DMAVS41
07-25-2016, 04:49 PM
Cavs were so smart to dump this guy. He'll look good though in regular season games where he gets a lot of playing time...

RedBlackAttack
07-25-2016, 04:54 PM
Cavs were so smart to dump this guy. He'll look good though in regular season games where he gets a lot of playing time...
The Cavs received Iman Shumpert, JR Smith and a 1st round pick for Dion. That has to be one of the best trades of the last few years, especially given the key roles those guys played on a championship team and where the team was at the time Dion was traded.

David Griffin doesn't get enough credit, imo.

DMAVS41
07-25-2016, 04:57 PM
The Cavs received Iman Shumpert, JR Smith and a 1st round pick for Dion. That has to be one of the best trades of the last few years, especially given the key roles those guys played on a championship team and where the team was at the time Dion was traded.

David Griffin doesn't get enough credit, imo.

Yea...I was laughably wrong about Tristan, but I feel comfortable saying I nailed it on Waiters (at least for the Cavs) at this point. Shedding him back then when he had real value allowed them to win the title.

Griffin really crushed that one.

alanLA92
07-25-2016, 05:00 PM
Heat lowballed and Waiters took the offer. Should fire his agent. :lol

Meticode
07-25-2016, 05:01 PM
I remember right after Waiters got traded he said something along the lines that he felt like he got the ball more in OKC and they they actually year the ball compared to the Cavs, but if you look at his stats, his shot attempts per game went down after he went to the Thunder vs. the Cavs.

Dude has talent. I mean he averaged 14-15PPG playing less than 30 minutes per game for the Cavs, but he's not a system guy which is why the Cavs traded him. He didn't fit their system and wasn't a reliable three point shooter.

sammichoffate
07-25-2016, 05:01 PM
Dion bought to go off now, first all-star game :bowdown:

Meticode
07-25-2016, 05:04 PM
Dion bought to go off now, first all-star game :bowdown:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CO6fIH3W8AAxWfX.jpg

Doranku
07-25-2016, 05:48 PM
The Godfather must be hooking Dion up under the table. There's just no explanation for this deal. Dude actually showed up a few games for the Thunder in the playoffs, and this is the best offer he gets?

It makes no sense.

RoundMoundOfReb
07-25-2016, 05:50 PM
Plus, he could've gotten good burn this year in OKC

GrapeApe
07-25-2016, 06:10 PM
Good pickup.

Good pick up? At that price if he puts up 19/5/4 with a 21 PER and 22/6/5 with a 23 PER in the playoffs, he'd be the steal of the offseason.

I definitely like the move though. He's a talented guy and he's still relatively young. The Heat could be the perfect organization for him. There should be some good competition between him and J-Rich for the starting SG spot.

D-Wait
07-25-2016, 06:28 PM
D-Wait replacing D-Wade? Didn't see that coming...

bdreason
07-25-2016, 06:50 PM
Still not sure why the Thunder let him walk. I thought it was because they didn't wanna match a large offer from another team. Now it seems like they could have easily kept him with just the QO. Bad move on their part.

coin24
07-25-2016, 06:51 PM
Where is pleezebelieve?:lol :lol

Told us waiters is the next wade and >> kyrie:roll: :roll: :roll:

Spurs m8
07-25-2016, 06:58 PM
D-Wait replacing D-Wade? Didn't see that coming...

They both love to throw up bricks too, kind of similar players.

G-train
07-25-2016, 07:03 PM
Still not sure why the Thunder let him walk. I thought it was because they didn't wanna match a large offer from another team. Now it seems like they could have easily kept him with just the QO. Bad move on their part.

They are attempting a Westbrook renegotiation.

GrapeApe
07-25-2016, 07:04 PM
They both love to throw up bricks too, kind of similar players.

D-Wade: 49% career shooter.
D-Waiters: 41% career shooter.

Not all that similar.

G-train
07-25-2016, 07:12 PM
I feel this is a horrible signing for Miami.
Bad attitude chucker, and they don't need him.
Some players aren't even worth it for the minimum.

Spurs m8
07-25-2016, 07:13 PM

This fella knows whats up

Hey Yo
07-25-2016, 07:26 PM
Dion may have not wanted to re-sign with OKC due to having to fight with Russ and Oladipo to get FGA.

He's a UFA after next season so he'll be able to try and showcase himself better in Miami this coming season in hopes to get a longer deal.

G-train
07-25-2016, 07:34 PM
Dion may have not wanted to re-sign with OKC due to having to fight with Russ and Oladipo to get FGA.

He's a UFA after next season so he'll be able to try and showcase himself better in Miami this coming season in hopes to get a longer deal.

He will showcase nothing, he will sit on bench next to Derrick Williams hopefully.

Hey Yo
07-25-2016, 07:40 PM
He will showcase nothing, he will sit on bench next to Derrick Williams hopefully.
:oldlol:

:cheers:

ihatetimthomas
07-25-2016, 07:41 PM
That is completely nuts. With the contracts going around this offseason, he's worth more than >$3 million.

I can't help but feel a little sorry for Dion even though he threw some shade at the Cavs when he was first traded. If he is only getting 1 year deals for that low of a dollar amount at his age? He's probably headed out of the league in the not too distant future unless things change drastically.

He has really fallen hard.

I feel it's more that a lot of teams already spent money and filled needs so his value dropped. Probably the worst thing that could happen to him was OKC rescinded the offer so late into free agency. A lot of teams spent most of their cap. You notice guys who became unrestricted late got much worse deals than the early rush of signing guys similar to Festus Ezeli.

Bosnian Sajo
07-25-2016, 07:45 PM

What do you mean could have? The Thunder rescinded the qualifying offer.

Bosnian Sajo
07-25-2016, 07:46 PM

Opted out of what, a qualifying offer?? Wtf are you talking about :oldlol:

DukeDelonte13
07-25-2016, 08:44 PM
he played well for both cleveland and OKC but like meticode pointed out he's not a system player.

He's a 1v1 isolation guy. He's talented but he needs the ball in his hands and free reign to be effective. Most teams aren't going to let him do that.

I'm still a fan of his though. I like his game.

Sportal
07-25-2016, 08:46 PM
OP trying to tilt real Miami fans, lmao.

Good pick-up for the price. Baffling price really..

Anyone else remember when he was compared to Wade and was part of the reason Gilbert picked him so high? But he was a 6th man on the bench for...... Syracuse(?).

G-train
07-25-2016, 09:23 PM
he played well for both cleveland and OKC but like meticode pointed out he's not a system player.

He's a 1v1 isolation guy. He's talented but he needs the ball in his hands and free reign to be effective. Most teams aren't going to let him do that.

I'm still a fan of his though. I like his game.

I'd say he is a bone headed chucker.

Last season his OWS was 0.3, and DWS 1.8.
His TS% was .492
His PER was 9.4

He isn't a good basketball player.

jbryan1984
07-25-2016, 09:55 PM
I think its crazy that Miami had a potential lineup of Dragic/Wade/Deng/Bosh/Whiteside with Joe Johnson off the bench. And somehow they are left with Dragic and Whiteside and Bosh a huge ?. Riley, wtf man?

TylerOO
07-25-2016, 09:59 PM
No way to spin it. This kid is a bum and won't help any team win.

G-train
07-25-2016, 10:04 PM
I think its crazy that Miami had a potential lineup of Dragic/Wade/Deng/Bosh/Whiteside with Joe Johnson off the bench. And somehow they are left with Dragic and Whiteside and Bosh a huge ?. Riley, wtf man?

That was not a potential lineup.
That was an impossible lineup for the 16/17 season.
They did not have the space for Deng and Johnson.
Basically Wade leaving was the only surprise, which I don't care about as he was offered a fair 2/40 contract and decided to go to Chicago.

WolfGang
07-25-2016, 10:21 PM
All I read was "Thunder seal the deal. Westbrook is gone."

Locked_Up_Tonight
07-25-2016, 10:54 PM
When you are a free agent (one of the last ones on the market)... and the music stops, sometimes there isn't a chair left to sit in....

It happened to Monta Ellis 2 or 3 years ago with the Mavericks.

There weren't too many teams that had money left to spend. No money means you go where you can go. And that is why he only signed a one year deal. He knew he could bigger money next year. And he didn't want to be locked in at that low of a contract for multiple years.

(Btw, Mo Harkless will be in the same boat as well. But he is restricted and will have to sign whatever the Blazers offer him because no one is offering him a big contract now....)

GOBB
07-25-2016, 11:34 PM
:oldlol: at people clowning OKC for Dion signing for chump change in Miami. If anything Dion lost out. He could have had more money on a better team without losing his role. I really dont get why teams aren't interested in the 24 year old tho. Pretty sad. Not sure if its his agent/his doing?

When you are a free agent (one of the last ones on the market)... and the music stops, sometimes there isn't a chair left to sit in....

It happened to Monta Ellis 2 or 3 years ago with the Mavericks.

There weren't too many teams that had money left to spend. No money means you go where you can go. And that is why he only signed a one year deal. He knew he could bigger money next year. And he didn't want to be locked in at that low of a contract for multiple years.

(Btw, Mo Harkless will be in the same boat as well. But he is restricted and will have to sign whatever the Blazers offer him because no one is offering him a big contract now....)

Sixers, Nets got money. And he could have stayed with OKC.

aj1987
07-26-2016, 06:02 AM
This! He might have signed real cheap, but he's not the guy who will get you W's. Shitty AF lineup this season. I still can't figure who'll be starting.

That was not a potential lineup.
That was an impossible lineup for the 16/17 season.
They did not have the space for Deng and Johnson.
Basically Wade leaving was the only surprise, which I don't care about as he was offered a fair 2/40 contract and decided to go to Chicago.
Arison could've splurged for once in his life. Whatever though. I'm over Wade leaving the Heat. Hopefully this'll make Riley and Arison understand that loyalty works both ways. Not too many big name FA's would want to sign with us, if we keep continuing to do this.

Real14
07-26-2016, 06:28 AM
I wish Dion the best in Miami but damn they did that niguh dirty with that low money.

DukeDelonte13
07-26-2016, 07:28 AM
I'd say he is a bone headed chucker.

Last season his OWS was 0.3, and DWS 1.8.
His TS% was .492
His PER was 9.4

He isn't a good basketball player.

I don't think he's a chucker. He's not a black hole on offense. He's just not a great finisher.

aj1987
07-26-2016, 07:34 AM
I don't think he's a chucker. He's not a black hole on offense. He's just not a great finisher.
I'm not a big fan of advanced metrics, but:

https://s32.postimg.org/q63up9ew5/Screen_Shot_2016_07_26_at_5_03_10_PM.png
https://s32.postimg.org/nq21bewth/Screen_Shot_2016_07_26_at_5_03_28_PM.png

Prime_Shaq
07-26-2016, 09:14 AM
He wasn't that bad for OKC in the playoffs.

r15mohd
07-26-2016, 09:19 AM
This! He might have signed real cheap, but he's not the guy who will get you W's. Shitty AF lineup this season. I still can't figure who'll be starting.

[B]Arison could've splurged for once in his life.[/] Whatever though. I'm over Wade leaving the Heat. Hopefully this'll make Riley and Arison understand that loyalty works both ways. Not too many big name FA's would want to sign with us, if we keep continuing to do this.

Splurge huh? Wade just took a deal worth about $1mil more per year than what the Heat offering was at 2/$40 --- Wade was given a fair offer by the Heat. Not to mention The plan was always for Wade to get the back end lumpsome when his bird rights kicked in - him opting out to test the market in previous years hurt that from happening sooner

And loyalty isn't an issue for the Heat - many times this has been down with Miami, many of which you aren't aware of since you're a Wade Stan. Read the Zo and Tim Hardaway stories, and soon to be UD.

Bought your bulls jersey yet? :lol :lol :lol

aj1987
07-26-2016, 09:41 AM
Splurge huh? Wade just took a deal worth about $1mil more per year than what the Heat offering was at 2/$40 --- Wade was given a fair offer by the Heat. Not to mention The plan was always for Wade to get the back end lumpsome when his bird rights kicked in - him opting out to test the market in previous years hurt that from happening sooner
Why do you keep following me around like a lost puppy. You get eviscerated every time you try me anyways.

BTW, the Heat's first offer was ~$10M/yr. Wade is making ~$7M more over the two years in Chicago than in Miami.

And loyalty isn't an issue for the Heat - many times this has been down with Miami, many of which you aren't aware of since you're a Wade Stan. Read the Zo and Tim Hardaway stories, and soon to be UD.
Two players who have basically accomplished in 4-5 years that all of the ones you listed put together were lost because of the fat ****s cheapness. I wouldn't expect you to know that since you're a 15 years old Riley stan. :roll:

EDIT: Miami would've gotten rid of UD years ago, if it wasn't for Wade, BTW. As I said, I would expect a kid like you to know that.

Bought your bulls jersey yet?
I might. Haven't really given it much thought.

This would like nice next to you bed in your mom's basement, BTW:

https://s32.postimg.org/4org0onl1/pat_riley_rat.png

I really don't understand why you feel the need to defend the rat and the fat guy in a thread which is about a player Miami recently acquired.

Nastradamus
07-26-2016, 10:16 AM
2.9 mil lol I told ya'll he was a scrub

plowking
07-26-2016, 10:20 AM
I like the move.

Physically talented player who struggles with attitude on the court. Miami does have a knack for turning dumbasses into smart players though. If there is one thing Spo does, which often ruins certain players, it is that he confines them to do things they are good at, and only those things. Dion probably won't grow as a player in Miami, but he more than likely will be restricted in doing the dumb shit he has always done at other teams.

Exact reason why Winslow probably won't ever turn into anything special on the Heat. Spo will drill him in doing all the things he does now, but won't teach him anything outside of that.

HurricaneKid
07-26-2016, 10:33 AM
What do you mean could have? The Thunder rescinded the qualifying offer.

It was extended for a LONG time. He could have signed it any time he wanted up until it was rescinded.

HurricaneKid
07-26-2016, 10:34 AM
If Dion would have just accepted a role as a 3 and D player he would have gotten SOOOoooo much more interest. But he just won't stop hoisting idiotic shots.

Meticode
07-26-2016, 12:18 PM
I wish Dion the best in Miami but damn they did that niguh dirty with that low money.
It's his own fault. He never has accepted his role in the NBA, which is why he was traded away from the Cavs, which is why several teams right now have over $10 million in cap space and he had to settle for Miami with that contract.

Real14
07-26-2016, 12:19 PM
It's his own fault. He never has accepted his role in the NBA, which is why he was traded away from the Cavs, which is why several teams right now have over $10 million in cap space and he had to settle for Miami with that contract.
Dion is still valuable tho man.

DoctorP
07-26-2016, 03:05 PM
I'm not sure I am liking this move but Dion is a veteran coming off a strong playoff run on a team in need of vets. Richardson will have comp to earn the start. Nothing more, nothing less.

Waiters should be 6th man unless Richardson struggles and has a sophomore slump, maybe.

aj1987
07-26-2016, 03:15 PM
I'm not sure I am liking this move but Dion is a veteran coming off a strong playoff run on a team in need of vets. Richardson will have comp to earn the start. Nothing more, nothing less.

Waiters should be 6th man unless Richardson struggles and has a sophomore slump, maybe.
:biggums:

Veteran? Dude has been in the league for like 4 seasons.

DoctorP
07-26-2016, 03:16 PM
:biggums:

Veteran? Dude has been in the league for like 4 seasons.

That constitutes a veteran. 3rd year is veteran status. At the 3rd full season you should know the ropes.

k0kakw0rld
07-26-2016, 03:18 PM
Pat Riley is a Wizard :applause:

aj1987
07-26-2016, 03:23 PM
That constitutes a veteran. 3rd year is veteran status. At the 3rd full season you should know the ropes.
Lol! Waiters is a cancer and Bosh, Dragic, and UD are much better influences on the younger players than freaking Waiters.

Also, 4 years in the league doesn't make him a vet. I'd say around 6 years.

DoctorP
07-26-2016, 03:51 PM
Lol! Waiters is a cancer and Bosh, Dragic, and UD are much better influences on the younger players than freaking Waiters.

Also, 4 years in the league doesn't make him a vet. I'd say around 6 years.

No one is arguing that Waiters has a history of being a cancer why are you comparing him to the other vets?

And I'd say you are wrong.

aj1987
07-26-2016, 04:07 PM
No one is arguing that Waiters has a history of being a cancer why are you comparing him to the other vets?
Because you're saying that Waiters is a veteran coming to a team in need of veterans. Again, we have other significantly better vets who can help the team out. Don't really need a player like Waiters.

DoctorP
07-26-2016, 05:12 PM
Because you're saying that Waiters is a veteran coming to a team in need of veterans. Again, we have other significantly better vets who can help the team out. Don't really need a player like Waiters.

Id agree but if Bosh doesnt play thats one less vet and we already lost Deng and Wade and Johnson. In this regard its an ok move but Im not thrilled. Id rather max out Rich and Tylers minutes myself. It will be interesting to see what Spo does, perhaps giving Waiters the Gerald Green role.

Locked_Up_Tonight
07-26-2016, 05:17 PM
Sixers, Nets got money. And he could have stayed with OKC.

OKC didn't want him back. NJ (according to Stein) met with Waiters and decided to pass. Philly is a dumpster fire for players' careers.

He really didn't have any options.

As for Waiters being a vet... yes he is a vet. A veteran is anyone that is not a rookie. There is no other definition. There are some veterans that have more experience.... but as soon as it is your second year and you aren't a rookie... you are a veteran.

r15mohd
07-26-2016, 07:28 PM
Why do you keep following me around like a lost puppy. You get eviscerated every time you try me anyways.

Lol stop trying to make yourself look important over a direct quote :rolleyes:

BTW, the Heat's first offer was ~$10M/yr. Wade is making ~$7M more over the two years in Chicago than in Miami.

The Heats first offer was not $10mil a yr, and of course Wade's only Stan would try and spin it this way. Nice try!

"Reports that the Heat offered Wade only $10 million for next season have been overblown, sources said, with the sides actually being $10 million apart on the total amount of the contract."

Link: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/16768160/miami-heat-offered-dwyane-wade-two-year-40-million-deal

The difference between the Miami offer and Chicago's offer after taxes comes down to roughly $1million - that's been reported many times.

Wade felt disrespected over $1mil, in his defense

Two players who have basically accomplished in 4-5 years that all of the ones you listed put together were lost because of the fat ****s cheapness. I wouldn't expect you to know that since you're a 15 years old Riley stan. :roll:

EDIT: Miami would've gotten rid of UD years ago, if it wasn't for Wade, BTW. As I said, I would expect a kid like you to know that.

Lol everytime you get put in a corner, all you ever do is scream Stan or make some horrible attempt withirrelevant comments - before I used to be a Lebron Stan, now I'm a Riley Stan --- stick to a story

Since you're unaware of the Heats history, Zo and Timmy were huge names for this franchise. And though they haven't won anything solely during that time, it put Miami on the map as far as a contender. It also showed the direction Riley could steer a team once again, as he's done in LAL and NYC - bringing that same mentality and winning aspiration to Maimi. it was before you came along as a Wade Stan and you should realize this with Wade's early tenure with the Heat leading up to the first title.

And at least you have something right there, Miami was willing to let UD walk - and that was the sacrifice you take for landing the Big3. During the big3 run, UD was a replaceable player for the Heat (other than co-captain) - So it's not as if Wade made a huge leaps and bounded for to retain a staple needed on the team beginning in 2010 in being a contender.

I might. Haven't really given it much thought.

This would like nice next to you bed in your mom's basement, BTW:

https://s32.postimg.org/4org0onl1/pat_riley_rat.png

I really don't understand why you feel the need to defend the rat and the fat guy in a thread which is about a player Miami recently acquired.

And how is Riley a rat when he's been the reason this team is one of the best franchises of recent times - the same reasons Wade got his first title and other two, but now that he has to make hard Decisions and it doesn't go towards your fanboy hopes, u label him a rat.

Get off the Miami topics - you're nothing but a phone pretending to be a heat fan. No better than the other stans on this board, only difference is you row that Wade ship alone lol

GOBB
07-26-2016, 10:09 PM
OKC didn't want him back. NJ (according to Stein) met with Waiters and decided to pass. Philly is a dumpster fire for players' careers.

He really didn't have any options.

As for Waiters being a vet... yes he is a vet. A veteran is anyone that is not a rookie. There is no other definition. There are some veterans that have more experience.... but as soon as it is your second year and you aren't a rookie... you are a veteran.

OKC didn't want him? Not true. He could have stayed there but chose not too. Forcing OKC to look elsewhere and move on. Nets passed on Dion but who knows why? Could it have been Dion and his agent would only take a certain deal vs what Nets were willing to offer? All we know is nets was interested, they met face to face and ended up not giving him a deal. Your philly comment makes about as much sense as saying Dion had no options. Few? Yes. None? Wrong.

And you're not considered a veteran after your rookie season (year 2). Where do you get your info from???

G-train
07-26-2016, 10:43 PM
Arison could've splurged for once in his life. Whatever though. I'm over Wade leaving the Heat. Hopefully this'll make Riley and Arison understand that loyalty works both ways. Not too many big name FA's would want to sign with us, if we keep continuing to do this.

No, we literally could not re-sign those guys.

Due to Wade's huge cap hold, and Whiteside not having full bird rights.

There was about 40m to play with, and Deng and JJ both took contracts before Wade sooked off.

G-train
07-26-2016, 10:46 PM
I like the move.

Physically talented player who struggles with attitude on the court. Miami does have a knack for turning dumbasses into smart players though. If there is one thing Spo does, which often ruins certain players, it is that he confines them to do things they are good at, and only those things. Dion probably won't grow as a player in Miami, but he more than likely will be restricted in doing the dumb shit he has always done at other teams.

Exact reason why Winslow probably won't ever turn into anything special on the Heat. Spo will drill him in doing all the things he does now, but won't teach him anything outside of that.

Spo hasn't ruined a single player I can think of.
But he and his team sure has developed many guys into good players, that originally weren't.

G-train
07-26-2016, 10:48 PM

Riley is arguable the second best President/GM in NBA history, behind Red.

aj1987
07-27-2016, 04:34 AM
The Heats first offer was not $10mil a yr, and of course Wade's only Stan would try and spin it this way. Nice try!

"Reports that the Heat offered Wade only $10 million for next season have been overblown, sources said, with the sides actually being $10 million apart on the total amount of the contract."

Link: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/16768160/miami-heat-offered-dwyane-wade-two-year-40-million-deal

The difference between the Miami offer and Chicago's offer after taxes comes down to roughly $1million - that's been reported many times.

Wade felt disrespected over $1mil, in his defense
$7.5M more is what the Bulls offered Wade.

Since Riley was going after KD, when those initial reports came out, how could the Heat and Wade be only $10M apart? How would the Heat be able to KD at max and Wade at near max?

Lol everytime you get put in a corner, all you ever do is scream Stan or make some horrible attempt withirrelevant comments - before I used to be a Lebron Stan, now I'm a Riley Stan --- stick to a story
Pot, Kettle, and the sort. Whenever I talk about Wade's salary, you call me a Wade stan. He's my favorite player, but unlike you, I'll still be a Heat fan long after you've jumped ship from your 10th team.

Since you're unaware of the Heats history, Zo and Timmy were huge names for this franchise. And though they haven't won anything solely during that time, it put Miami on the map as far as a contender. It also showed the direction Riley could steer a team once again, as he's done in LAL and NYC - bringing that same mentality and winning aspiration to Maimi. it was before you came along as a Wade Stan and you should realize this with Wade's early tenure with the Heat leading up to the first title.
:biggums: :biggums:

Again, your English comprehension skills are cringe worthy. I never said they didn't do anything for the Heat. LeBron and Wade alone had 4-5 seasons, during which they accomplished MORE for the Heat, than Zo and Tim COMBINED.

And at least you have something right there, Miami was willing to let UD walk - and that was the sacrifice you take for landing the Big3. During the big3 run, UD was a replaceable player for the Heat (other than co-captain) - So it's not as if Wade made a huge leaps and bounded for to retain a staple needed on the team beginning in 2010 in being a contender.
Hold the L, kid. UD was replaceable and they were going to do that, if it wasn't for Wade. Don't start with the loyalty BS, when it was Wade who got shit done.

And how is Riley a rat when he's been the reason this team is one of the best franchises of recent times - the same reasons Wade got his first title and other two, but now that he has to make hard Decisions and it doesn't go towards your fanboy hopes, u label him a rat.
Wade is the reason why Miami has its first ring and Wade is the reason Bosh and LeBron came to the Heat. You think LeBron/Bosh give a **** about the rat? LeBron actually hates the guy.

Get off the Miami topics - you're nothing but a phone pretending to be a heat fan. No better than the other stans on this board, only difference is you row that Wade ship alone lol
Bruh, you should stick to your advice. I've never seen a SINGLE positive comment about Wade from you. The only things I see you do are stan LeBron and Riley. Heck, you post more in the Cavs GT's than Heat GT's. FOH, kid. As I said, I've been a Heat fan and will continue to be one even after you jump off of your 10th bandwagon.

Heard there's a good team in GS. You want want to go and jump onto that bandwagon. That is, if you haven't already.

Riley is arguable the second best President/GM in NBA history, behind Red.
I never said otherwise. Although 90% of his success as an executive can be directly attributed to Wade.

34-24 Footwork
07-27-2016, 04:42 AM
Nice pickup by Miami. Hopefully Dion gets a fair shake on playing time.

r15mohd
07-27-2016, 07:55 AM
$7.5M more is what the Bulls offered Wade.

Since Riley was going after KD, when those initial reports came out, how could the Heat and Wade be only $10M apart? How would the Heat be able to KD at max and Wade at near max?

Understand the tax code between the states - after all state and federal taxes are taken from both, Miami's offer was basically $1mil per yr less than Chicago's. Do u live in america to even understand what the tax code is? Lol

Wade was looking for 2/$50mil and/or something more long term from the Heat, or whoever else he chose - and that's why him choosing Chicago for basically $1mil more was a stupid decision - he failed at making a point out of it.

As for the KD/Wade landing, if KD agreed, Wade would be asked to take another cut with a 1yr deal where his bird rights could kick in after this season and be paid without it hurting the cap. Whiteside was willing to take the cut too. Miami would have to trade away guys like McBob, etc as well. KD would get close to max.

All this has been discussed and reported on - stop stanning so hard and review the details before you start b!tching

aj1987
07-27-2016, 08:11 AM
Understand the tax code between the states - after all state and federal taxes are taken from both, Miami's offer was basically $1mil per yr less than Chicago's. Do u live in america to even understand what the tax code is?
Again, do you really think Wade is looking at the tax code and all that? The FACT is, he thought the Heat should pay him ~$24M/yr. The Heat were off by $4M. Those are FACTS. I know that you struggle with comprehending basic English, but damn.

I really don't know the exact tax codes in Miami. For that matter, anywhere. We have an auditing firm and other tax consultants who take care of that for us.

Wade was looking for 2/$50mil and/or something more long term from the Heat, or whoever else he chose
$60M/3 yrs is what he actually wanted. Should've given that to him last season.

As for the KD/Wade landing, if KD agreed, Wade would be asked to take another cut with a 1yr deal where his bird rights could kick in after this season and be paid without it hurting the cap. Whiteside was willing to take the cut too. Miami would have to trade away guys like McBob, etc as well. KD would get close to max.
As I said even before last season, Miami had ZERO chance of getting KD. You chose to "believe in" the rat though. :roll:

BTW, Wade would've been taking a paycut which is significantly larger than Whiteside's. After taking a ton already. Not even comparable.

All this has been discussed and reported on - stop stanning so hard and review the details before you start b!tching
How am I bitching? I typed 2-3 sentences about the fat guy and the rat (wasn't even discussing it with you) and you decided to have your period. Just like in those other threads. I don't understand why you melt this hard, when there's something negative being said about those two.

It's not your money. Why do you care if Arison spends a shitton of money in luxury taxes? Dude can more than afford it.

Finally, leave the legit Heat basketball discussion to us actual fans. Stop derailing threads with and making them about your man crushes. Stick to the topic or GTFOH.

Id agree but if Bosh doesnt play thats one less vet and we already lost Deng and Wade and Johnson. In this regard its an ok move but Im not thrilled. Id rather max out Rich and Tylers minutes myself. It will be interesting to see what Spo does, perhaps giving Waiters the Gerald Green role.
UD hasn't really played in ages and he's a massive role model/mentor for the younger guys. Losing Wade as a mentor was massive, but JJ and Deng aren't really the mentoring type. Bosh and UD alone should have influence on these guys, whether they play or not.

I agree with you about maxing J-Rich's and TJ's playing time though. This is pretty much a lost season and they should get a ton of burn.

DoctorP
07-27-2016, 09:30 AM
Again, do you really think Wade is looking at the tax code and all that? The FACT is, he thought the Heat should pay him ~$24M/yr. The Heat were off by $4M. Those are FACTS. I know that you struggle with comprehending basic English, but damn.

I really don't know the exact tax codes in Miami. For that matter, anywhere. We have an auditing firm and other tax consultants who take care of that for us.

$60M/3 yrs is what he actually wanted. Should've given that to him last season.

As I said even before last season, Miami had ZERO chance of getting KD. You chose to "believe in" the rat though. :roll:

BTW, Wade would've been taking a paycut which is significantly larger than Whiteside's. After taking a ton already. Not even comparable.

How am I bitching? I typed 2-3 sentences about the fat guy and the rat (wasn't even discussing it with you) and you decided to have your period. Just like in those other threads. I don't understand why you melt this hard, when there's something negative being said about those two.

It's not your money. Why do you care if Arison spends a shitton of money in luxury taxes? Dude can more than afford it.

Finally, leave the legit Heat basketball discussion to us actual fans. Stop derailing threads with and making them about your man crushes. Stick to the topic or GTFOH.

UD hasn't really played in ages and he's a massive role model/mentor for the younger guys. Losing Wade as a mentor was massive, but JJ and Deng aren't really the mentoring type. Bosh and UD alone should have influence on these guys, whether they play or not.

I agree with you about maxing J-Rich's and TJ's playing time though. This is pretty much a lost season and they should get a ton of burn.

Vets are not brought in to mentor necessarily. More like having a dude come in and be consistent because he knows what to expect. Vets tend to know situations and have a comfort level. That is why you don't see young teams like a Timberwolves or a Bucks team win consistently. Think about it. You never see a team led by rookies win a ship.

aj1987
07-27-2016, 09:48 AM
Vets are not brought in to mentor necessarily. More like having a dude come in and be consistent because he knows what to expect. Vets tend to know situations and have a comfort level. That is why you don't see young teams like a Timberwolves or a Bucks team win consistently. Think about it. You never see a team led by rookies win a ship.
Yeah, and Waiters does none of that. Unless Riley and Spo can mould him into a good player, dude's a legit blackhole.

I use BB-Ref quite a bit, but I've never seen this on someone's stats:

https://s32.postimg.org/nq21bewth/Screen_Shot_2016_07_26_at_5_03_28_PM.png[/QUOTE]

That's just beyond pathetic. The only good part is that he's signed on for only $2.9M. It's a gamble worth taking.

sammichoffate
07-27-2016, 10:42 AM
Riley is arguable the second best President/GM in NBA history, behind Red.Jerry West

DoctorP
07-27-2016, 01:26 PM
Yeah, and Waiters does none of that. Unless Riley and Spo can mould him into a good player, dude's a legit blackhole.

I use BB-Ref quite a bit, but I've never seen this on someone's stats:

https://s32.postimg.org/nq21bewth/Screen_Shot_2016_07_26_at_5_03_28_PM.png

That's just beyond pathetic. The only good part is that he's signed on for only $2.9M. It's a gamble worth taking.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but more pathetic is you on the court. The only thing I want to see is the young guys develop and if Waiters can contribute positively then its a plus.

aj1987
07-27-2016, 03:16 PM
Yeah but more pathetic is you on the court.
What?

The only thing I want to see is the young guys develop and if Waiters can contribute positively then its a plus.
That's what you don't get. Waiters has NEVER been a positive contributor on ANY team. Dude is a blackhole and a scrub.

I hope I'm wrong though.

Smoke117
07-27-2016, 03:23 PM
I can't ****ing stand Waiters...but it's at such a nothing price that it's not really a big deal. Miami is a place where you can fall completely out of the rotation just like that if you suck...and at his price he has no leverage to make any noise about it if that does in fact happen. It's a win-win situation for us...if he can contribute, good, if he can't? Doesn't matter, we're paying him peanuts anyway.

DoctorP
07-27-2016, 03:47 PM
What?

That's what you don't get. Waiters has NEVER been a positive contributor on ANY team. Dude is a blackhole and a scrub.

I hope I'm wrong though.

He was decent in this last postseason. Hit a few good 3s

Hey Yo
07-27-2016, 05:30 PM
"The Heat signed Dion Waiters to a room-exception contract."

Heat president Pat Riley, via Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald:

“Dion is not a Room Exception player. He wanted to play for the Miami Heat and chose to forgo other more lucrative financial opportunities to be a part of our championship organization. We are very honored that he made the commitment to come to South Florida and sign with us. Dion is young, athletic and explosive, which fits in with our roster. He will add a great dimension for us at the off-guard spot. I really like the depth and versatility that we now have in our perimeter positions. Welcome aboard Dion!”

"I’m really curious about those “more lucrative financial opportunities.”

The Thunder didn’t think Waiters was worth his one-year, $6,777,589 qualifying offer. They earmarked that money for a Russell Westbrook renegotiation-and-extension and don’t define the market themselves. But every team has other uses for its money than paying Waiters, and none deemed Waiters a priority.

How much could Waiters have gotten next season if he signed a multi-year deal rather than the 1+1 he inked with Miami? The whole “Waiters betting on himself” narrative falls apart if nobody was willing to bet more more on Waiters.

The 24-year-old is talented. But his ball-hogging, drifting focus and me-first attitude can be infuriating.

It behooves Riley to paint Waiters as more than a room-exception player, because that enhances Riley’s reputation as someone who lures free agents for less than market value. A big-time compliment from the influential Riley might have even part of Waiters’ contract negotiation.

But there’s a reason Waiters signed for the room exception. It has something to do with the type of player he is."

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/07/27/pat-riley-dion-waiters-is-not-a-room-exception-player/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

aj1987
07-27-2016, 06:30 PM
He was decent in this last postseason. Hit a few good 3s
In the 3 losses, Waiters averaged 3/4/2 on 17/11/50 (21% TS). In 32 minutes a game with a 66 ORtg and 118 DRtg.

For the PO's, he averaged 8/3/2/1 on 52% TS with a 107 ORtg and 110 DRtg. His BPM was -0.1. Dude was a net negative.

As I said, I would be the ecstatic if he pans out, but it's not very likely.

Locked_Up_Tonight
07-27-2016, 09:36 PM
OKC didn't want him? Not true. He could have stayed there but chose not too. Forcing OKC to look elsewhere and move on. Nets passed on Dion but who knows why? Could it have been Dion and his agent would only take a certain deal vs what Nets were willing to offer? All we know is nets was interested, they met face to face and ended up not giving him a deal. Your philly comment makes about as much sense as saying Dion had no options. Few? Yes. None? Wrong.

And you're not considered a veteran after your rookie season (year 2). Where do you get your info from???

Few in the NBA is essentially none. There is a reason why he signed for 1 year. His options (in his mind) were gone. So he wanted to do the best possible thing for later in his career. So yes, he really had no options because there was no big money out there for him.

As for the vet. An NBA player is only one of two things: rookie or a vet.

A vet can have 1 year of experience or a la Ganett 20+ years... They are still considered vets. One is a more seasoned vet. But a vet nonetheless. Age etc has nothing to do with it. Years of experience is the only thing that matters in terms of rookie/vet.

(And a player can be an NBA rookie while being a veteran pro basketball... a la Priogini when he came over to the Knicks a few years ago....)

GOBB
07-28-2016, 01:10 PM
You clearly don't know what qualifies as a veteran in the NBA. And your example of Prigioni further supports that. Ask yourself why despite playing professionally overseas he is considered and labeled a rookie in the NBA? I'll give you a hint, it is based on the amount of years in the NBA. Same with being labeled as a veteran. 4 years does not qualify. 1 year does not qualify. No one is calling Embiid a veteran not are they calling Okafor. At least 5 years of nba experience leads to the veteran label.

Mo harkless recently resigned with Portland for $40mil over 4yrs. Money is out there. Maybe not from every NBA team but it was there. I guess he had no options as well. You can't twist saying none is the same as few. I listed teams with money to spend and your counter was lacking. "Philly is a dumpster fire" or some nonsense. Do you know why the sixers and nets even tho they were linked to waiters for a long time decided to not offer a deal? Chances are you don't. When you find that out we will have a better understanding at what the issue was. It probably was more of him overpricing himself (probsbly wanted similar deals as Evan Turner, crabbe). Speculation on my part given his recent comments on social media.

He could have stayed in OKC but I guess he didn't care to be the 6th man there after the Dipo trade. Probably wants to start and saw no assurance of that in OKC.

Klay 3D
07-28-2016, 03:08 PM
Understand the tax code between the states - after all state and federal taxes are taken from both, Miami's offer was basically $1mil per yr less than Chicago's. Do u live in america to even understand what the tax code is? Lol

Wade was looking for 2/$50mil and/or something more long term from the Heat, or whoever else he chose - and that's why him choosing Chicago for basically $1mil more was a stupid decision - he failed at making a point out of it.
$1m per year is false. Wade is expected to pay ~$900k per year with Illinois' 3.75% income tax. That's less than $2m over the span of his contract so discounting taxes you're looking at a ~$45.5m compared to Miami's $41.5m offer...a difference of $4m. What could take a hit is his $12-15m endorsement deals which at most is $600k per year. Then again, Wade going to a new market could boost his endorsement potential and all-around relevancy with the media. I'm estimating that he's making at least $3m more per year with Chicago than with Miami.

In my opinion, Pat should've gave Dwyane Wade a 3yr/$54-56m descending contract. Around $20m the first year, $18m, and $16m the last. Pat Riley could've saved face and Wade would've been content enough. They'll also be some flexibility in the future and a lot more if Dragic gets moved. TJ wouldn't be making $19m off the bench. Wade playing until he's 37 years old isn't implausible...probably still putting up 12/3/3 which is on par with Jamal Crawford and he's making $15m next year turning 37. The cap is rising too. Riley screwed up over a mil or 2 thinking he could get CP3, Westbrook, or Blake in 2017. Well, Blake is probable, but that's like remaking a much lesser Blake+Deandre+CP3 big 3 core. Pat is now banking on Bosh retiring or not being able to play which is sad. First round exit team for the next 3 years. Could do the same with the signing of an aging Wade and look better as an organization. :facepalm

Locked_Up_Tonight
07-28-2016, 10:39 PM
You clearly don't know what qualifies as a veteran in the NBA. And your example of Prigioni further supports that. Ask yourself why despite playing professionally overseas he is considered and labeled a rookie in the NBA? I'll give you a hint, it is based on the amount of years in the NBA. Same with being labeled as a veteran. 4 years does not qualify. 1 year does not qualify. No one is calling Embiid a veteran not are they calling Okafor. At least 5 years of nba experience leads to the veteran label.

Mo harkless recently resigned with Portland for $40mil over 4yrs. Money is out there. Maybe not from every NBA team but it was there. I guess he had no options as well. You can't twist saying none is the same as few. I listed teams with money to spend and your counter was lacking. "Philly is a dumpster fire" or some nonsense. Do you know why the sixers and nets even tho they were linked to waiters for a long time decided to not offer a deal? Chances are you don't. When you find that out we will have a better understanding at what the issue was. It probably was more of him overpricing himself (probsbly wanted similar deals as Evan Turner, crabbe). Speculation on my part given his recent comments on social media.

He could have stayed in OKC but I guess he didn't care to be the 6th man there after the Dipo trade. Probably wants to start and saw no assurance of that in OKC.

Embiid hasn't played a game yet, so he can't be considered a vet until he finishes his rookie season. (Or at least plays 1 game a la Julius Randle)....

And Julius Randle is considered a vet on the Lakers? Why? Because he can't win rookie of the year. (And couldn't at the beginning of last year.) Is he a "seasoned" veteran? No. But a vet nonetheless.