PDA

View Full Version : If you root for GSW tonight, what are your reasons?

elementally morale
05-28-2016, 04:08 PM
I root for GSW although I'm not a fan of the team. I was asking myself: What are my reasons? And in all honesty... I don't know. :oldlol:

Here are a few reasons:

1) I want to see a game 7
2) I'd love to see Curry and Klay playing well with ther backs to the wall
3) I want to see more flip-flopping here on ISH
4) I'd like to see a healthy Cavs team vs. GSW in the Finals

These are not very good reasons though. In fact, I have nothing against OKC. In this matchup they were the more likeable team. So I'm not sure why I root for GSW.

What are your reasons?

bitedez
05-28-2016, 04:10 PM
I'm a Lakers fan and I need to cling onto something better

elementally morale
05-28-2016, 04:15 PM
Not rooting for GSW but

1. for 2/7

That or you're a warrior fan

Do the Cavs really stand a better chance against this OKC team? I'm not sure. Yes, LeBron seems to have KD's and Westbrook's collective numbers, but in this playoffs OKC looks way more determined and so far a lot better than GSW.

I don't like LeBron's game, but 2/7 is pretty meaningless to me.

ScalsFan21
05-28-2016, 04:20 PM
I root for GSW although I'm not a fan of the team. I was asking myself: What are my reasons? And in all honesty... I don't know. :oldlol:

Here are a few reasons:

These are not very good reasons though. In fact, I have nothing against OKC. In this matchup they were the more likeable team. So I'm not sure why I root for GSW.

What are your reasons?

Isn't it complicated? :lol I agree with a lot of what you said. I'm rooting for GSW and it's hard to know why exactly as a LeBron fan, since I do think they are the tougher team for him to beat. I think on paper, LeBron's 17-4 all-time ownership of FT35 is going to play a factor if it's Cavs/Thunder, and I do think despite how well they're rolling, I just cannot see LeBron letting himself lose to OKC with home court.

Still, I don't believe this NBA season would best be represented by the Thunder winning it all. I just don't. If LeBron can't win, I want the best team in the league to win, so I'd rather see a rematch finals. Plus I want that G7 at Oracle.

Another big reason for me is Draymond Green tbh. I don't like him but I respect his game, and I do not want this season to end with him looking like he's not a superstar-level positive on-court impact, and if OKC wins this game tonight and he doesn't look great, he is going to get lambasted even more. The "Curry 70%" crowd will be out defending him no matter what if they lose (and I kind of agree with them at least to some extent...), but Dray doesn't even have that.

He NEEDS to come up HUGE if he wants people to continue to treat him like the top-5 all-NBA vote getter that he is and deserves to be, and I expect that he will again tonight, just as he did in Game 5 when his hustle plays and rebounding helped GSW pull away in the 3rd even with his shot still not really falling.

Bankaii
05-28-2016, 04:20 PM
The only non-GSW fans rooting for the Warriors are Lebron haters thinking they're a tougher challenge for Lebron.

There may be a small percent that actually just like GSW/Curry.

tpols
05-28-2016, 04:21 PM
Not rooting for GSW but

1. for 2/7

That or you're a warrior fan

eh, if you were rooting for 2/7, you'd probably want the Thunder to win tonight.

elementally morale
05-28-2016, 04:28 PM
The only non-GSW fans rooting for the Warriors are Lebron haters thinking they're a tougher challenge for Lebron.

I'm too old to hate on a player. When I was young, I hated Jordan and was rooting against him. I robbed myself of some great basketball in the process. So yes, I freely admit I don't like LeBron's game and never have after his first 2-3 years. But that's not good enough erason for me to root for GSW tonight, especially because at the moment they seem to be the easier opponent for the Cavs.

I have no idea why I root for the Warriors.

ISHGoat
05-28-2016, 04:29 PM
I have $1000 to win $1750 (from mid-season) on GSW to win the championship.

SpecialQue
05-28-2016, 04:30 PM
Because fvck KD.

elementally morale
05-28-2016, 04:31 PM
Because fvck KD.

That's a legit reason. :cheers:

But what do you have against him? He is not high-profile for me to dislie him. It's like hating on Dirk. Why would you bother?

BasedTom
05-28-2016, 04:32 PM
Neither OKC or Cleveland deserve a title

SexSymbol
05-28-2016, 04:32 PM
they play the right way, hang their head on defense, play team basketball on offense, are confident, but not stupidly so, they're built the right way, nobody had to run from anywhere to form this super team, they sacrifice individual stats for team success and have one of the most likable superstars ever.
There's literally nothing to dislike about the team aside from Draymond Green's shenanigans a few times a season.

elementally morale
05-28-2016, 04:37 PM

I like Curry but never thought he was deserving of the extreme amount of hype he received. In fact, I watched a few games from Nash again and decided I like his game more than Steph's.

GSW as a team... they are okay when they are moving the ball. However, strangely enough, OKC was better to watch. And I still root for GSW. Unfathomable.

elementally morale
05-28-2016, 04:40 PM
Neither OKC or Cleveland deserve a title

You may have colluding against the Cavs but why do the Thunder not deserve a title?

RedBlackAttack
05-28-2016, 04:41 PM
Do the Cavs really stand a better chance against this OKC team? I'm not sure. Yes, LeBron seems to have KD's and Westbrook's collective numbers, but in this playoffs OKC looks way more determined and so far a lot better than GSW.

I don't like LeBron's game, but 2/7 is pretty meaningless to me.
Styles make fights.

I think the general consensus among Cavs fans and people that have followed the team for other reasons (ie hatred) feel that the Cavs just match-up better against OKC than they do Golden State. Whether this theory is right or wrong is up for debate, but there are some points to back up that notion.

One of the things that gives the Cavs problems against Golden State is that their funky lineups play to the Cavs' greatest weakness. Because they can play five perimeter players and not lose a ton defensively, really good big guys who can stretch the floor like Channing Frye and Kevin Love become less of an advantage.

Against OKC, the things that the Cavs do which give them a great advantage (using Frye, Love, James) to pull bigs away from the rim would put the Thunder in an awkward situation with their more conventional lineups.

Also, OKC is almost always going to have guys on the perimeter (Roberson, Waiters, etc) where they can stick Kyrie when he needs to focus solely on offense and it won't hurt the defensive rotations too much.

Add to that the Cavs would have home court and have been really freaking good against OKC even dating back to before LeBron came back and it just has a little better feel to it. Kyrie has given them lots of issues on his own.

It's just a style thing. OKC is really good. Would I be shocked if they won the whole thing? Hell no. I just feel a little more confident against them.

Indian guy
05-28-2016, 04:41 PM
AFAIK, OP is a Lakers/Kobe fan. And we all know why they root for GS. It's all about beating LeBron.

jayfan
05-28-2016, 04:43 PM
Want a game on Monday.

Bankaii
05-28-2016, 04:45 PM
I like Curry but never thought he was deserving of the extreme amount of hype he received. In fact, I watched a few games from Nash again and decided I like his game more than Steph's.

GSW as a team... they are okay when they are moving the ball. However, strangely enough, OKC was better to watch. And I still root for GSW. Unfathomable.
That's understandable. When they're clicking the Warriors are probably the most entertaining team in the league.

But a good majority their fans have hopped on the wagon either due to their success or to see Lebron lose.

elementally morale
05-28-2016, 04:46 PM
AFAIK, OP is a Lakers/Kobe fan. And we all know why they root for GS. It's all about beating LeBron.

As I said, OKC doesn't seem to be a less favorable matchup for the Cavs this year. I'm a Laker fan indeed, but that isn't my reason. The world isn't always black and white.

elementally morale
05-28-2016, 04:50 PM
But a good majority their fans have hopped on the wagon either due to their success or to see Lebron lose.

Curry and co. beat LeBron last year. Durant and co beating them this year is not any less sweet. :oldlol:

Cleverness
05-28-2016, 04:51 PM

Here are a few reasons:

What are your reasons?

1) Warriors fan for life
2) I want to see a game 7 (I'd probably see it live)
3) I'd like to see a healthy Cavs team vs. GSW. Warriors went 3-0 against them in the regular season and fired coach Blatt, but Lue has improved their offense and no doubt Cavs are better now

Da_Realist
05-28-2016, 04:58 PM
Still, I don't believe this NBA season would best be represented by the Thunder winning it all. I just don't. If LeBron can't win, I want the best team in the league to win, so I'd rather see a rematch finals. Plus I want that G7 at Oracle.

I disagree. OKC winning would set the stage for an epic rivalry for the next 5 years.

1) Kevin Durant is 27. Russell Westbrook is 27. Steph Curry is 28.

2) OKC and GS are beginning to hate each other. Already sniping against each other.

3) They are polar opposites

4) Westbrook is offended at the fawning Steph gets and is using this series to make a statement.

5) If OKC wins it all, they would have destroyed this magical season for GS and avenged their loss to Lebron

6) If OKC wins it all, the last 3 champions are all battling each other in the Western Conference -- all with axes to grind and demons to exorcise

If the Warriors win, great for them. If the Cavs win, great for Cleveland. If the Thunder wins, great for the league!

Cleverness
05-28-2016, 05:02 PM
I disagree. OKC winning would set the stage for an epic rivalry for the next 5 years.

2) OKC and GS are beginning to hate each other. Already sniping against each other.

4) Westbrook is offended at the fawning Steph gets and is using this series to make a statement.

5) If OKC wins it all, they would have destroyed this magical season for GS and avenged their loss to Lebron

6) If OKC wins it all, the last 3 champions are all battling each other in the Western Conference -- all with axes to grind and demons to exorcise

If the Warriors win, great for them. If the Cavs win, great for Cleveland. If the Thunder wins, great for the league!

7) If OKC wins it all, Jordan stans will be happy the '96 Bulls 72+Chip record is still intact while LeBron-Jordan comparisons are put on hold

elementally morale
05-28-2016, 05:03 PM

Good post. But if you can choose, which one?

- OKC in 6
- OKC in 7

Da_Realist
05-28-2016, 05:10 PM
7) If OKC wins it all, Jordan stans will be happy the '96 Bulls 72+Chip record is still intact while LeBron-Jordan comparisons are put on hold

True on the first, although it doesn't matter that much to me. I never thought GS was as good as the 96 Bulls. I also never thought the 96 Bulls were the greatest team ever.

As far as the second, no thought whatsoever. Lebron's not as good whether he wins or not.

BasedTom
05-28-2016, 05:15 PM
You may have colluding against the Cavs but why do the Thunder not deserve a title?
The part where they're the OKC Thunder and not the Seattle Supersonics.

Both teams falling ass backwards into the chance to win a title goes against what the sport is all about. Makes the entire league look like shit.

Da_Realist
05-28-2016, 05:17 PM
Good post. But if you can choose, which one?

- OKC in 6
- OKC in 7

In terms of excitement and drama, nothing beats Game 7. In terms of setting up a heated rivalry with GS -- Game 6, definitely. OKC needs to win with no qualifications. OKC needs the confidence of beating GS emphatically. GS needs to know they were flat out beaten by a better team and not feel like they could have won with a break here or there. That way, GS spends the off season pissed. We would see a much better, more seasoned GS next year, although they most assuredly wouldn't win as many regular season games. They would circle every OKC matchup on the schedule. OKC would want to validate their new championship status. Durant vs Curry for MVP. Westbrook vs Curry for best PG. Ball movement and player movement vs a team that uses it's two best players to impose their will. It would be beautiful.

It would be Federer vs Nadal.

Inferno
05-28-2016, 05:17 PM
Because I'm a Bay Area native through and through :applause:

SpecialQue
05-28-2016, 05:43 PM
That's a legit reason. :cheers:

But what do you have against him? He is not high-profile for me to dislie him. It's like hating on Dirk. Why would you bother?

Residual hatred from years back based solely on his rip through move and nice-guy persona. Plus I love Westbrook and that dude always got shit on to prop up KD.

Funny enough, I don't have an issue with Curry's nice guy persona, but that's because it seems genuine with him. KD seems fake as shit.

KiiiiNG
05-28-2016, 05:44 PM
I'd like to see Curry not choke for once

KiiiiNG
05-28-2016, 05:45 PM
Residual hatred from years back based solely on his rip through move and nice-guy persona. Plus I love Westbrook and that dude always got shit on to prop up KD.

Funny enough, I don't have an issue with Curry's nice guy persona, but that's because it seems genuine with him. KD seems fake as shit.
You are terrible at reading people. Just thought I'd let you know that.

elementally morale
05-28-2016, 06:06 PM

Durant is simply not very interesting to me to care either way. I mean he is not interesting to me ON the court. (Even less interesting OFF it, but let's leave it out for now.)

Durant's game is nice. Any ideas as to why I don't like his game? I like skilled big men. Dirk, the Gasol brothers, Duncan... I'm fine with them. Why isn't there anything I like in KD's game? I have no idea.

Does anyone feel the same way?

Da_Realist
05-28-2016, 06:22 PM
Durant is simply not very interesting to me to care either way. I mean he is not interesting to me ON the court. (Even less interesting OFF it, but let's leave it out for now.)

Durant's game is nice. Any ideas as to why I don't like his game? I like skilled big men. Dirk, the Gasol brothers, Duncan... I'm fine with them. Why isn't there anything I like in KD's game? I have no idea.

I do. I think his game is too jumpshot-oriented. If his jumpshot is off, his impact plummets offensively. If he had a couple of simple post moves (with his skills and height, he doesn't need to be a technician), he would be the most unstoppable offensive player in the league. When his J is not falling, he could use a simple jump hook or something like that to keep the team in the game or draw fouls. Right now it's either shoot or drive. Hot or cold. Off or on. Most dominant or afterthought.

Da_Realist
05-28-2016, 06:29 PM
Imagine Durant catching in the post and just shooting over Iguadala. What could Iguadala do? What could anyone do? He's 6'11". Why couldn't he get that shot anytime he wanted? Imagine late in the game, instead of shooting a long contested 3, he could catch it in the post and shoot over whoever is guarding him. Either shoot or get fouled. Almost a guaranteed 2 points. Or pass to an open teammate if he's doubled.

ArbitraryWater
05-28-2016, 06:30 PM

thats true.. as SAS slightly disappears, OKC/GSW could give us a few epic battles.. and OKC needs to win this series for that to happen, for it to have a greater story and more weight on the future games.

ArbitraryWater
05-28-2016, 06:32 PM
In terms of excitement and drama, nothing beats Game 7. In terms of setting up a heated rivalry with GS -- Game 6, definitely. OKC needs to win with no qualifications. OKC needs the confidence of beating GS emphatically. GS needs to know they were flat out beaten by a better team and not feel like they could have won with a break here or there. That way, GS spends the off season pissed. We would see a much better, more seasoned GS next year, although they most assuredly wouldn't win as many regular season games. They would circle every OKC matchup on the schedule. OKC would want to validate their new championship status. Durant vs Curry for MVP. Westbrook vs Curry for best PG. Ball movement and player movement vs a team that uses it's two best players to impose their will. It would be beautiful.

It would be Federer vs Nadal.

This got me hyped bro..

elementally morale
05-28-2016, 06:36 PM
I do. I think his game is too jumpshot-oriented. If his jumpshot is off, his impact plummets offensively.

We can say the same about Curry. But at least when he is on, it is some other-worldly stuff. On a sidenote, was Nash any worse of an offensive player than Curry? To me he wasn't any worse. Very good shooting and insane vision. When Nash's shot was off you still wanted to watch him play. When Duean't or Curry are off... not much is left.

ArbitraryWater
05-28-2016, 06:38 PM
We can say the same about Curry. But at least when he is on, it is some other-worldly stuff. On a sidenote, was Nash any worse of an offensive player than Curry? To me he wasn't any worse. Very good shooting and insane vision. When Nash's shot was off you still wanted to watch him play. When Duean't or Curry are off... not much is left.

Curry is Nash offensively on roids, with a good 10+ more production on points... its not the same.

I find KD very interesting. Greatness is usually interesting. You're very picky.

Da_Realist
05-28-2016, 06:42 PM

Yeah but Curry's top end is unbelievable. Curry can beat you. I never felt like Nash could. I love Curry's confidence (arrogance). I think it's good for the game. I think Curry is the best player in the game and GS is the best team but they may have run upon their Nadal (nemesis who strengths just happens to expose their weaknesses).

elementally morale
05-28-2016, 06:46 PM
Curry is Nash offensively on roids, with a good 10+ more production on points... its not the same.

I like Curry, I really do. But with Nash's assists I found myself jumping up several times a game. Sometimes Steph does that but not very often if his shot is off.

I find KD very interesting. Greatness is usually interesting. You're very picky.

Must come with age. But it's not dislike. His game simply doesn't move me for the most part. Like Karl Malone. Very good... and... and that's it.

j3lademaster
05-28-2016, 07:05 PM

Does anyone feel the same way?He doesn't fight tenaciously enough for position. Just an example: game 5 OKC started exclusively forcing the ball to Durant for isos, and Durant caught the ball every time like 6 or 7 feet behind the 3 point line. I know Steph Curry is underrated strong, but damn it seems like he just accepts running out there to meet the ball rather than fight for the block and make himself an easy target for an entry pass. This is why Dirk, Jordan were much better iso scorers in crunchtime. They got the position they wanted and made their move right as they got the ball; they didn't catch it 7 feet behind the 3 point line and tried to cross up one of the best ball thieves(not defender, BALL THIEF) in the league. Got his cookies snatched repeated and OKC deficit immediately goes from 5 with 3:30 to go to 10 with 1:30 to go.

Lebron23
05-28-2016, 07:39 PM
OKC in 6.

elementally morale
05-28-2016, 07:40 PM
OKC in 6.

:facepalm

branslowski
05-28-2016, 07:55 PM
3yrs ago I said once Kobe retires the top 3 players who I'm going to enjoy destroying the league was Curry, Westbrook, and Harden. With Curry having an offensive skillset like no other that I've seen since healthy Kobe...And finally Curry is getting the recognition he deserves so I root for him as a player. But still D Russell finna set the league on Fire in the next few yrs you all will see.

I also would like to see Westbrook win aswell. He's the leader of the Thunder, . I remember posters tryna clown him cause all his missed jumpers callin him Westbrick but look at him now...Flexin. Curry, Westbrook>>>LeBron.

ArbitraryWater
05-28-2016, 07:56 PM
3yrs ago I said once Kobe retires the top 3 players who I'm going to enjoy destroying the league was Curry, Westbrook, and Harden. With Curry having an offensive skillset like no other that I've seen since healthy Kobe...And finally Curry is getting the recognition he deserves so I root for him as a player. But still D Russell finna set the league on Fire in the next few yrs you all will see.

I also would like to see Westbrook win aswell. He's the leader of the Thunder, . I remember posters tryna clown him cause all his missed jumpers callin him Westbrick but look at him now...Flexin. Curry, Westbrook>>>LeBron.

no you didnt.. you were on PG's dick calling him 'baby Kobe'.

k0kakw0rld
05-28-2016, 07:56 PM
Because it is my team. And Klay and also because I dislike OKC very well.

bigt
05-28-2016, 08:09 PM

You're not alone mate. I've never been able to get into Durant as a player. Incredibly talented, a true #1 option but I've never cared for him. Maybe it's the way OKC themselves play (less so this series admittedly) that has made me meh on him

As for why I want the Warriors to win? As an Aussie I like seeing Bogut do well, and I'm a big fan of Stephen Curry. Pretty simple really haha