PDA

View Full Version : Is Chris Paul still better than Westbrook?

Underrated KD
05-07-2016, 01:14 PM
Even tho Paul is past his peak years probably, he is still an elite PG and any team would love to have him. I think Westbrook had his best RS this year and he deserves credit for improving in the RS. He is considered a top 5 player by everyone but would you really take him over this RS Chris Paul (before the injury) on your team? Just curious. I feel Paul is quite underrated in general. He is a perfect PG.

Im Still Ballin
05-07-2016, 01:15 PM
Nope

LAZERUSS
05-07-2016, 01:16 PM
This year's Paul was better than Westbrick. Careers? Not even close.

Westbrick would be riding the bench in Golden State.

Im Still Ballin
05-07-2016, 01:17 PM
C'mon Bro

24/11 beats Chrispy Paul's 20/10 on better efficiency

zeerghit
05-07-2016, 01:18 PM
C'mon Bro

what about defence? leadership? westrbook is nowhere close

Im Still Ballin
05-07-2016, 01:21 PM
what about defence? leadership? westrbook is nowhere close
These are valid points, but Westbrook wins out on sheer volume of statistical production advantage

imdaman99
05-07-2016, 01:29 PM
Stupidass Durant stans turning on Westbrook. Do we need to remind you what happened to him against an inferior Grizzlies team in the playoffs without Goatbrook? :lol

zeerghit
05-07-2016, 01:31 PM
Stupidass Durant stans turning on Westbrook. Do we need to remind you what happened to him against an inferior Grizzlies team in the playoffs without Goatbrook? :lol

and what happened to westbrook last year without durant? and what happened paul without blake? tell me pls

imdaman99
05-07-2016, 01:36 PM
and what happened to westbrook last year without durant and ibaka and steven adams? and what happened paul without blake? tell me pls
Fixed that for you. When Westbrook got hurt, at least there was Reggie Jackson to replace him. When Durant was out, there was Kyle Singler :lol No kidding, neither can win alone. Hell, no one can get through this West without a lot of help. I get it though, anytime OKC loses it's Westbrook's fault :pimp: I agree last night was definitely on him though :oldlol:

Chris Paul loses to inferior teams in the playoffs. Who was the last inferior team OKC lost to? I'll wait for your answer.

ScalsFan21
05-07-2016, 01:40 PM
Chris Paul has never for one minute in their careers been the worse individual player than Westbrook. If the Thunder had CP3 instead of Westbrook, they would be much better, though Chris Paul is a bonafide choker. He is a top 5-7 player in today's game, where Russ is fringe top 13-15 and the most overrated "superstar" in today's game. I'm a huge Durant critic and probably always will be, but I think getting away from RWB will be great for his career.

Westbrook's low IQ and playing style lends itself to being a pretender. Seemingly a top 5 "talent", but his drawbacks drop him several spots on the active player list.

Underrated KD
05-07-2016, 01:44 PM
Fixed that for you. When Westbrook got hurt, at least there was Reggie Jackson to replace him. When Durant was out, there was Kyle Singler :lol No kidding, neither can win alone. Hell, no one can get through this West without a lot of help. I get it though, anytime OKC loses it's Westbrook's fault :pimp: I agree last night was definitely on him though :oldlol:

Chris Paul loses to inferior teams in the playoffs. Who was the last inferior team OKC lost to? I'll wait for your answer.

I don't hate Westbrook and I don't blame him for Thunder's tragic front office. It's not his fault that OKC isn't good enough to win. The question I asked in this thread is not really ridiculous at all. Paul is a great player and I believe he is as much of a victim as KD and Russ for not getting the needed help to go all the way. True that LAC choked badly vs Rockets but how exactly that's only Paul's fault? His whole team had a meltdown. Thing is LAC are as flawed as the Thunder. The difference isn't that big tbh.

Underrated KD
05-07-2016, 01:50 PM
Chris Paul has never for one minute in their careers been the worse individual player than Westbrook. If the Thunder had CP3 instead of Westbrook, they would be much better, though Chris Paul is a bonafide choker. He is a top 5-7 player in today's game, where Russ is fringe top 13-15 and the most overrated "superstar" in today's game. I'm a huge Durant critic and probably always will be, but I think getting away from RWB will be great for his career.

Westbrook's low IQ and playing style lends itself to being a pretender. Seemingly a top 5 "talent", but his drawbacks drop him several spots on the active player list.

Interesting post. Sadly I have to agree after yesterday's tragic performance. Not saying Durant didn't have a tragic game as well before (he did vs the Mavs) but his flaws in general are way less harmful than Westbrook's. I would still take Russ over most PGs but not over Paul for sure.

swagga
05-07-2016, 01:56 PM

bro, you're right about westbrook being massively overrated but he is still a top 10 player, just too much production and defense pressure from him. Any experienced basketball fan will easily say that cp3 >> westbrook, that's a given, cp3 is quite a rare talent, unfortunately he is unlucky, he's always played with low iq players, and this brought only trouble (bad seeding, apparent chokes, injuries due to overworking, a bad temper). A great player with an unfortunate career.

ScalsFan21
05-07-2016, 02:09 PM
bro, you're right about westbrook being massively overrated but he is still a top 10 player, just too much production and defense pressure from him. Any experienced basketball fan will easily say that cp3 >> westbrook, that's a given, cp3 is quite a rare talent, unfortunately he is unlucky, he's always played with low iq players, and this brought only trouble (bad seeding, apparent chokes, injuries due to overworking, a bad temper). A great player with an unfortunate career.

Overall I agree. I mean I'm not putting him too much lower than you are. I think he's borderline top 15 in terms of his net positive on-court impact, which is how I like to measure players. I could be underrating him, but I feel like whether he's lead dog or a Robin, he's a disaster too often. It's in his DNA to give back so much of the things he does well.

He can't score efficiently against good defenses. He doesn't get to the line enough to offset that. He turns it over way too much. He is a phenomenal rebounder, a decent passer at times, and one of the greatest athletes to ever play the game. He may be top 10 in terms of the things he can do when he's "on", hell, he's probably top 5 when he's clicking on all cylinders. I just find that those instances are too few and far between, particularly given his abysmal track record against good teams. Too many mistakes, too individual, too out of control, too much of a believer in his long range shot when he was literally bottom 2 in terms of qualifying 3PT% shooters behind Kobe this year.

I just don't think Westbrook is coachable, and if that is the case, then we know his style is unlikely to ever win a championship. He IMO is not smart or consistent enough offensively to justify his usage rate when it comes to true BIG games against teams that matter, and given how hard it is to fit him into a system in a way that can get a team to truly contend, I have a hard time ranking him above the Draymond Greens of the world, and others on that tier.

I totally get why so many people have him in the top 5-10, I just disagree.

And yeah, Chris Paul has gotten some bad breaks in his career for sure. I'm glad people are finally realizing that he was the engine of that team the entire time, and not the 2nd most overrated player in the NBA in Griffin.

JohnMax
05-07-2016, 02:27 PM
http://www.kyru.net/gallery/d/161-1/kaneclap.gif

andgar923
05-07-2016, 02:31 PM
I'd take any version of CP3 >>> Westbrook without hesitation

Underrated KD
05-07-2016, 02:32 PM
Overall I agree. I mean I'm not putting him too much lower than you are. I think he's borderline top 15 in terms of his net positive on-court impact, which is how I like to measure players. I could be underrating him, but I feel like whether he's lead dog or a Robin, he's a disaster too often. It's in his DNA to give back so much of the things he does well.

He can't score efficiently against good defenses. He doesn't get to the line enough to offset that. He turns it over way too much. He is a phenomenal rebounder, a decent passer at times, and one of the greatest athletes to ever play the game. He may be top 10 in terms of the things he can do when he's "on", hell, he's probably top 5 when he's clicking on all cylinders. I just find that those instances are too few and far between, particularly given his abysmal track record against good teams. Too many mistakes, too individual, too out of control, too much of a believer in his long range shot when he was literally bottom 2 in terms of qualifying 3PT% shooters behind Kobe this year.

I just don't think Westbrook is coachable, and if that is the case, then we know his style is unlikely to ever win a championship. He IMO is not smart or consistent enough offensively to justify his usage rate when it comes to true BIG games against teams that matter, and given how hard it is to fit him into a system in a way that can get a team to truly contend, I have a hard time ranking him above the Draymond Greens of the world, and others on that tier.

I totally get why so many people have him in the top 5-10, I just disagree.

And yeah, Chris Paul has gotten some bad breaks in his career for sure. I'm glad people are finally realizing that he was the engine of that team the entire time, and not the 2nd most overrated player in the NBA in Griffin.

Totally agree. This is really accurate. This is off-topic but I'm interested to know (your opinion) on if a well-built team around Durant could contend for a title? I just don't think his potential is fully utilized in OKC. Elite coaches could use him better I feel and playing with a PG that could compliment him would be great for sure.

ScalsFan21
05-07-2016, 03:01 PM
Totally agree. This is really accurate. This is off-topic but I'm interested to know (your opinion) on if a well-built team around Durant could contend for a title? I just don't think his potential is fully utilized in OKC. Elite coaches could use him better I feel and playing with a PG that could compliment him would be great for sure.

Hell yeah, I think a well-built team around KD could absolutely win a chip. I know he's come up small in big games before (the Reggie Jackson carry job comes to mind, most of that whole series really), he's got holes in his game defensively etc. I'm not sure if he can DRAG a team far on his own, but yeah with the right pieces around him, there's no reason why not.

He may like Westbrook personally, but yeah you give a guy like say... John Wall and some good supporting characters... I think he's got a much better chance. I still don't think he can beat LeBron and company if he went to the East, but I'm not sure he'll ever be able to have quite the impact he's capable of having (within the flow of the game) until he's no longer competing with an inferior player for touches and shot attempts.

He's a stud. Great shooter from all distances, can score on or off ball, efficient as hell, more than capable of fitting into a more team-oriented system IMO. I'm liking KD more and more as a basketball player. At the level he is at, I feel like he deserves better than this situation. Top 4 in the game behind Leonard.

j3lademaster
05-07-2016, 03:20 PM
and what happened to westbrook last year without durant? and what happened paul without blake? tell me plsYeah let's act like Westbrook wasn't injured too, and wasn't on a team with an abysmal record when he got back and STILL was 1 game from making the playoffs if the Spurs didn't rest everyone against the Pels, playing one of the most brilliant months of basketball the past decade: perhaps ever. Why hate just to hate? Enjoy watching basketball.

Underrated KD
05-07-2016, 03:27 PM
Hell yeah, I think a well-built team around KD could absolutely win a chip. I know he's come up small in big games before (the Reggie Jackson carry job comes to mind, most of that whole series really), he's got holes in his game defensively etc. I'm not sure if he can DRAG a team far on his own, but yeah with the right pieces around him, there's no reason why not.

He may like Westbrook personally, but yeah you give a guy like say... John Wall and some good supporting characters... I think he's got a much better chance. I still don't think he can beat LeBron and company if he went to the East, but I'm not sure he'll ever be able to have quite the impact he's capable of having (within the flow of the game) until he's no longer competing with an inferior player for touches and shot attempts.

He's a stud. Great shooter from all distances, can score on or off ball, efficient as hell, more than capable of fitting into a more team-oriented system IMO. I'm liking KD more and more as a basketball player. At the level he is at, I feel like he deserves better than this situation. Top 4 in the game behind Leonard.

Thanks for the replay. I agree. I think Kawhi deserves to be considered better than him this season. Kawhi has been amazing and keeps doing great (even tho he is in a much better situation than KD). Kevin isn't playing at his MVP level this season but still playing great and came back really well from his injury. Given his injuries he did great this season. He deserves to be considered as a top 4 player at least this season. I hope next season he plays better and hopefully with a different team. I would love him on the Celtics or Heat. At least that would make the East more competitive which would be nice for the NBA.

ScalsFan21
05-07-2016, 03:33 PM
It would be great to watch him in a new environment. I think we can all only hope that Durant can stay healthy for the rest of his career, because there is a pattern of guys who suffered that foot injury getting re-injured later in their careers. Hopefully he's able to stay healthy for a long time and win at least one ring.

lilteapot
05-07-2016, 03:35 PM
Chris Paul is the better player in every aspect of the game.

Underrated KD
05-07-2016, 03:38 PM
It would be great to watch him in a new environment. I think we can all only hope that Durant can stay healthy for the rest of his career, because there is a pattern of guys who suffered that foot injury getting re-injured later in their careers. Hopefully he's able to stay healthy for a long time and win at least one ring.

Agree man. Most important thing is health. Wish all superstars stay healthy. I was extremely sad for Paul and his fans when he broke his hand recently because I know very well how that feels as a KD fan. Last season was just beyond awful for me as a fan of him. Hope Paul gets healthy soon.

Underrated KD
05-07-2016, 03:42 PM
Chris Paul is the better player in every aspect of the game.

Apart from athleticism obviously but Russ's gamestyle won't age well.

Bankaii
05-07-2016, 04:11 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this.
I like Westbrook, but he can't replicate what CP3 did this year. I still think Westbrook's stats don't indicate his true impact.

They're almost even though. Lebron/Curry/Durant/Kawhi then CP3 at 5th and WB at 6th.

Smook A.
05-07-2016, 04:13 PM
I'll make this short and simple. Westbrook's stats might be better, but when it comes to bball IQ, defense, and leadership, CP3 has the edge.

Bankaii
05-07-2016, 04:13 PM
Apart from athleticism obviously but Russ's gamestyle won't age well.
He still has a solid mid range game.
If he develops a high IQ, if he ever loses his athleticism he could just use his size in the post like Shaun Livingston.

swagga
05-07-2016, 04:15 PM
He still has a solid mid range game.
If he develops a high IQ, if he ever loses his athleticism he could just use his size in the post like Shaun Livingston.

you're talking about this guy

http://xonecole.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/russell-westbrook-teen-choice-awards-fashion.jpg

Young X
05-07-2016, 04:16 PM
To me he is.

But it's close.

He just plays a smarter, more controlled, more efficient brand of basketball and is a better defender.

There's no question in my mind that he would be a better fit for Durant and OKC than Westbrook.

Paul never had the luxury of playing with anyone even close to Durant. That's what people overlook in this comparison.

Westbrook has someone (top 5 scorer ever) who he can depend on. Paul has been carrying entire franchises on his back his whole career as the ONLY true threat on his team but people still shit on him when his teams don't go far in the western conference. Stupid.

Smoke117
05-07-2016, 04:16 PM
Absolutely.

feyki
05-07-2016, 04:17 PM

http://xonecole.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/russell-westbrook-teen-choice-awards-fashion.jpg

Looks like new power rangers guy .

swagga
05-07-2016, 04:19 PM
it's also interesting to see just how bad the OKC system is:

- westbrook is enormously talented but is still a dumbass
- KD is the 2nd best player in the league (imo) and still can't be a leader and develop intangibles
- harden is also a huge talent but is an even bigger cancer
- reggie jackson got talent but he also chucks when it counts
- ibaka hasn't grown his game at all

It really speaks volumes that ALL THIS TALENT still hasn't learnt important basketball lessons. I'd bet my house that if pop/carlisle/phil/riley had this crop of guys he would've made them a fcking dynasty.

imdaman99
05-07-2016, 04:22 PM
Chris Paul has lost to the Grizzlies (repeat offender), Spurs, OKC and Rockets. None of them went on to win the Finals. OKC has lost to the eventual champions every year that Westbrook played in the playoffs. There is a difference. Has CP3 been unlucky? Sure. He's also blown a playoff game which lead to his team's demise. He was also the point guard in the 4th quarter of an epic collapse to a team that he had no business losing to last season. But yeah, that is also not Chris Paul's fault :roll:

Which team was OKC supposed to beat in the playoffs and lost? Can anyone explain this? Or are we gonna rag on him for preventing Durant scoring more points? Durant apparently needs to be averaging 35 points instead of the 27+ he has been. Let's blame it on Westbrook.

Chris Paul is really good, but his time has past. And his window is closed. And he is home watching the playoffs.

So eat shit Chris Paul fanboys.

warriorfan
05-07-2016, 04:27 PM
C'mon Bro

:roll:

swagga
05-07-2016, 04:29 PM
Chris Paul has lost to the Grizzlies (repeat offender), Spurs, OKC and Rockets. None of them went on to win the Finals. OKC has lost to the eventual champions every year that Westbrook played in the playoffs. There is a difference. Has CP3 been unlucky? Sure. He's also blown a playoff game which lead to his team's demise. He was also the point guard in the 4th quarter of an epic collapse to a team that he had no business losing to.

Which team was OKC supposed to beat in the playoffs and lost? Can anyone explain this? Or are we gonna rag on him for preventing Durant scoring more points? Durant apparently needs to be averaging 35 points instead of the 27+ he has been. Let's blame it on Westbrook.

Chris Paul is really good, but his time has past. And his window is closed. And he is home watching the playoffs.

and jordan won his ring by himself
and kobe won carrying shaq.
and basketball is one 1v5.
if you pair cp3 with durant they go to the finals in 11, maybe ring in 12 and certainly ring in 13 and 14.

stop making a fool of yourself dumbass.

Young X
05-07-2016, 04:29 PM
Chris Paul has lost to the Grizzlies (repeat offender), Spurs, OKC and Rockets. None of them went on to win the Finals. OKC has lost to the eventual champions every year that Westbrook played in the playoffs. There is a difference. Has CP3 been unlucky? Sure. He's also blown a playoff game which lead to his team's demise. He was also the point guard in the 4th quarter of an epic collapse to a team that he had no business losing to last season. But yeah, that is also not Chris Paul's fault :roll:

Chris Paul is really good but his time has past. And his window is closed. And he is home watching the playoffs.

So eat shit Chris Paul fanboys.Besides maybe last year against Houston (who had a higher seed and homecourt) what team did Paul lose to that was inferior to his?

Smoke117
05-07-2016, 04:35 PM

...what an idiot.

imdaman99
05-07-2016, 04:37 PM
and jordan won his ring by himself
and kobe won carrying shaq.
and basketball is one 1v5.
if you pair cp3 with durant they go to the finals in 11, maybe ring in 12 and certainly ring in 13 and 14.

stop making a fool of yourself dumbass.
So now the Clippers have no talent :wtf: Stop making excuses and enjoy Westbrook the rest of the playoffs. Could be another 2 games, could be another 12 games who knows :rockon:

If you pair a Knicks fan rocking Lebron and Jordan jerseys, we have you. Continue replying to me fool :lol

And YoungX, I would argue the Grizz were inferior. At least once. My point is they lost to NON Championship caliber teams. OKC has only lost to them while Westbrook was around.

imdaman99
05-07-2016, 04:39 PM
...what an idiot.
It's a good thing you stan multiple players, all on different teams :lol There's a better chance a player you stan gets a ring :pimp:

TommyGriffin
05-07-2016, 04:45 PM

It looks like he took a huge shit in his pants.

Young X
05-07-2016, 04:47 PM
And YoungX, I would argue the Grizz were inferior. At least once. My point is they lost to NON Championship caliber teams. OKC has only lost to them while Westbrook was around.Grizzlies only beat the Clippers one time. It was in 2013...when Griffin went down with injury and could barely play. No way were the Grizzlies inferior at that point.

Who cares if they have lost to non championship contender teams when they themselves aren't championship contenders? OKC and the Spurs always had higher expectations and were always expected to finish ahead of the Clippers, if you say otherwise, you're lying.

JohnMax
05-07-2016, 04:50 PM
Look At The Difference In Efficiency

Chris Paul (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/paulch01.html)

http://oi64.tinypic.com/30m5ye8.jpg

Russell Westbrook (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/westbru01.html)

http://oi64.tinypic.com/wtsh28.jpg

ScalsFan21
05-07-2016, 04:53 PM
Look At The Difference In Efficiency

:lol Really is night and day.

Underrated KD
05-07-2016, 05:03 PM
To me he is.

But it's close.

He just plays a smarter, more controlled, more efficient brand of basketball and is a better defender.

There's no question in my mind that he would be a better fit for Durant and OKC than Westbrook.

Paul never had the luxury of playing with anyone even close to Durant. That's what people overlook in this comparison.

Westbrook has someone (top 5 scorer ever) who he can depend on. Paul has been carrying entire franchises on his back his whole career as the ONLY true threat on his team but people still shit on him when his teams don't go far in the western conference. Stupid.

Great post. Fully agree.

bdreason
05-07-2016, 05:04 PM
I can't believe anyone would take Westbrook over CP3 headed into a 7-game series.

SchrOEder
05-07-2016, 05:18 PM
Its difficult to say, because both approach the PG position differently. i think that CP3 is the better defender, the better shooter and has a higher BBall IQ, while WB is better in slashing the defense, more athletic, faster....

but WB is chucking right now. shooting 41% for the playoffs and being in his prime......i couldnt watch any okc game this playoffs....is WB taking too many midrange shots? this is an awful % for someone who should mainly do layups

edit: just looked at WB playoff-history and it seems that he struggled the last years from the field as well

imdaman99
05-07-2016, 05:20 PM
Everyone is a prisoner of the moment. Westbrook was terrible in game 3 and still made a couple of great plays to give them a chance. If they got a rebound, OKC would have had a chance to force OT or even win the game. Chris Paul had a great 2 games in the 1st round but injuries excused us to witness him melting down against the Warriors. It happens.

I will take Westbrook, the rest of y'all can win your 1st round rings with CP3.

lilteapot
05-07-2016, 05:21 PM
Everyone is a prisoner of the moment. Westbrook was terrible in game 3 and still made a couple of great plays to give them a chance. If they got a rebound, OKC would have had a chance to force OT or even win the game. Chris Paul had a great 2 games in the 1st round but injuries excused us to witness him melting down against the Warriors. It happens.

I will take Westbrook, the rest of y'all can win your 1st round rings with CP3.

Right because you win rings with Westbrook right?

Lol you're ****ing stupid.

imdaman99
05-07-2016, 05:37 PM

Lol you're ****ing stupid.
I get closer to rings with Westbrook than I do with CP3 :pimp:

Plus, he is still young. Paul's best days are behind him. Peak Paul in 08 was top 2-3 peak for a PG ever, but that was a long time ago.

TheImmortal
05-07-2016, 05:40 PM
Westbrick is the LeBron's of point guards (with far more killer instinct obviously).. but give me Chris Paul for a single series over him IMHO. Westbrick is too erratic and still can't shoot for shit.

Also.. Durant is doo doo IMHO.. overrated lanky punk.

Smoke117
05-07-2016, 05:40 PM

Plus, he is still young. Paul's best days are behind him. Peak Paul in 08 was top 2-3 peak for a PG ever, but that was a long time ago.

CP3 >>> Westbrick

stalkerforlife
05-07-2016, 05:58 PM
Something tells me OKC may win the title with Paul instead of Westbrook...and i'm damn sure not a Paul fan.

lilteapot
05-07-2016, 05:59 PM

Correction, you get closer to rings with Westbrook PAIRED WITH DURANT than with CP3.

CP will forever be a better passer, defender, smarter player and better shooter than Westbrook.

ScalsFan21
05-07-2016, 06:10 PM
Something tells me OKC may win the title with Paul instead of Westbrook...and i'm damn sure not a Paul fan.

I feel like if they had a little better floor spacing and Chris Paul with Durant for all these years, they probably would have eventually won at least one. I'm not sure they would be able to win together in a year like this with GSW/SAS/CLE all in play (especially likely having to go through all three of them to get the chip :roll: ), but they'd have a much better chance.

Young X
05-07-2016, 06:33 PM

Lol you're ****ing stupid.Exactly right? :lol

Westbrook has the same number of rings as Paul and that's with him playing with Kevin f*cking Durant for his entire career so far.

He's arguably never even been the best player on his own team outside of one year (where he missed the playoffs).

For some reason he doesn't get the same flack for being a "loser" despite playing in a better situation with another future HOF player alongside him.

Graviton
05-07-2016, 06:47 PM
2008 is probably best PG since Magic, easily better than any version of Westbrook. But after his knee injury, he is basically equal to Westbrook in terms of overall game impact and domination. When they played each other in the playoffs, they both had an amazing series but Wetsbrook ended up making some key plays to steal them Game 5.

I'm not sure this year's Westbrook is even better than his 2013-14 playoff version. Seems way more focused on assists and less aggressive in the paint, then when he does decide to score he is chucking jumpers or missing layups.

Westbrook has all the tools, but mentally he still seems to have the same attitude, he hasn't matured like an NBA veteran like CP3, Kobe, Duncan. Same goes for Durant, they both have a long way to go before winning a ring. As Michael Jordan once said "They knew how to compete, but not how to win".