PDA

View Full Version : Is Whiteside the Best Center in the NBA?

LAZERUSS
03-22-2016, 09:52 PM
If this guy were capable of playing 36 mpg...

17 ppg, 15 rpg, and 5 bpg...on a .600+ FG% (with a .625 TS%.)

plowking
03-22-2016, 09:56 PM
No. But he is a really good 5.

Does everything your big man should do. Stays under the ring, grabs boards, finishes easy shots on the offensive end, and is somewhat of a garbage man.

I've never understood people who wanted their big man to have some sort of jumpshot or whatever. No, there is no point. If you want someone taking a jumpshot, it is every other position on the floor apart from the center. The biggest guy on the court is there to keep the ball high, put it back in the ring, and grab everything that comes off the ring.

Whiteside is a really good traditional center.

LAZERUSS
03-22-2016, 10:00 PM

Does everything your big man should do. Stays under the ring, grabs boards, finishes easy shots on the offensive end, and is somewhat of a garbage man.

I've never understood people who wanted their big man to have some sort of jumpshot or whatever. No, there is no point. If you want someone taking a jumpshot, it is every other position on the floor apart from the center. The biggest guy on the court is there to keep the ball high, put it back in the ring, and grab everything that comes off the ring.

100% agreed.

Unless a center can consistently approach 40% from threes, there is no reason to move outside on the offensive end. And even then, it takes him out of offensive rebound position.

Nuff Said
03-22-2016, 10:18 PM
No one wants their big shooting a jump shot. Threads are flooded with facepalms every time a big takes one.

DoctorP
03-22-2016, 10:24 PM
yes. Best center in the league. :lol

I'm absolutely serious.

LAZERUSS
03-22-2016, 10:25 PM
Tonight...

30 minutes...

24 points, 14 rebounds, 3 blocks, 10-11 FG/FGA, and 4-6 FT/FTA.

Dresta
03-22-2016, 10:30 PM
He actually has a good mid-ranger tho...

Akhenaten
03-22-2016, 10:33 PM

I really wish you'd stop using the word "ring" to describe the RIM, it's seriously driving me crazy.

buddha
03-22-2016, 10:37 PM
100% agreed.

Unless a center can consistently approach 40% from threes, there is no reason to move outside on the offensive end. And even then, it takes him out of offensive rebound position.

if you're going to have your center shoot threes you might as just put a SF out there so he can handle the ball too.

PJR
03-22-2016, 10:44 PM
He's better than anyone outside of Cousins. He's by far and away the best shot blocker. He has now even transformed into an 80% foul shooter overnight, adjusting his approach.

And he's going to continue to get better from a professionalism standpoint, as he continues to soak in that Miami Heat culture.

Still can't believe Riley found a franchise center chilling in the D-League.

What. A. Time.

Prime_Shaq
03-22-2016, 11:02 PM

Well said.

GrapeApe
03-23-2016, 12:12 AM
The Heat will have a big decision to make this summer. Whiteside's play since the break has been exceptional, and if I had to guess I'd say the Heat will most likely lock him up. He has a chance to be a top 3 center through the entire tenure of his contract. I don't think they can let a guy like that walk.

plowking
03-23-2016, 12:56 AM
I really wish you'd stop using the word "ring" to describe the RIM, it's seriously driving me crazy.

Why? Both are acceptable. :oldlol:

KungFuJoe
03-23-2016, 01:23 AM
Why? Both are acceptable. :oldlol:

Sorry but no one but you says ring to mean rim.

MiseryCityTexas
03-23-2016, 01:25 AM
Lmao and Heat fans wanted him traded at first. He's like a much better version of Andrew Bynum with much better work ethic.

MiseryCityTexas
03-23-2016, 01:32 AM
Whiteside's decision will be easy as hell to make if Lebron comes back. (unless he wants a shitload of money)

Dictator
03-23-2016, 01:45 AM

What?

Big men who can shoot help with spacing. A lot. With the 3sec rule you'd be forcing your guards and wings to run straight into the defense bigs.

coin24
03-23-2016, 02:07 AM
Whiteside's decision will be easy as hell to make if Lebron comes back. (unless he wants a shitload of money)

If Lebald came back he should leave:oldlol:

Would look so bad if he did crawl back though

Gotterdammerung
03-23-2016, 02:10 AM
Centers who shoot jumpers have a tendency to float away from the paint, diminishing their ability to contest for the rebound.

However, if a fadeaway jumper was part of the center's toolbox, that meant someone had to hit the boards in case the center missed.

Wilt Chamberlain had a fadeaway jumper that drove his coaches crazy, not because he couldn't hit them - he did, and he took them to prove that he wasn't just a tall guy exploiting a shorter defender - but because it took him out of rebounding position. He cut down those fadeaway jumpers during the second half of his career, preferring to pass to the open man for the assist.

Hakeem Olajuwon had a fadeaway jumper, but he took them because he was often shorter than his defender, and the ability to hit them forced defenders to overplay his right shoulder, leaving the inside spin open for a jump hook, or a drop step. :cheers:

GOATJono
03-23-2016, 04:58 AM
Boogie's gotta be 1.

plowking
03-23-2016, 05:09 AM
Sorry but no one but you says ring to mean rim.

Well... they do. Like I said, I go between the two without noticing.
Same way you can say hoop.

Don't apologize, it is fine.

Human Error
03-23-2016, 06:34 AM
If Whiteside is not the best center, who is?

I would not trade Whiteside for Cousins nor DeAndre Jordan nor Al Horford nor Andre Drummond.

plowking
03-23-2016, 06:44 AM
If Whiteside is not the best center, who is?

I would not trade Whiteside for Cousins nor DeAndre Jordan nor Al Horford nor Andre Drummond.

I'd probably trade for Drummond or Cousins. I'm not sure though. Whiteside fits just right on this team.

SchrOEder
03-23-2016, 06:52 AM
I would say yes. He is the best PURE C in the league.
Saying that, Cousins is the better franchise player to build around. Cousins has a much bigger role on his team. Has to carry his team, while Whisteside plays in a stacked team.

Tough, people are underrating Horford.

Bosnian Sajo
03-23-2016, 06:57 AM
Top 3, although honestly if it came down to him and Drummond (another top 3), I'd have to go with Whiteside because of his ft%.

aj1987
03-23-2016, 07:00 AM
Cousins is making 45% of his 2pt shots. As a center. :facepalm

Im Still Ballin
03-23-2016, 07:26 AM
Cousins is making 45% of his 2pt shots. As a center. :facepalm
Relies on the free throw line

Erratic scorer for sure. Plays with his emotions too much, always tries to force the issue, instead of making the right plays, which he has shown he can do. Which makes it all the more frustrating. It's all mental with this guy. He's having a 27/12/3.3/1.5/1.4 on 54% TS... If he played right all the time, there is no reason why he can't be a 57%-60% TS guy on 25+ PPG...

Im Still Ballin
03-23-2016, 07:31 AM
Funny things is, this is his second highest eFG% of his career, which is important to look at because it doesn't include his free throws

Remains to be seen if he can replicate that 50% FG/eFG mark, because if he combines that with his current free throw ability, and a 35-40% 3pt shot, he'd be an efficient top scorer

aj1987
03-23-2016, 07:36 AM
Relies on the free throw line

Erratic scorer for sure. Plays with his emotions too much, always tries to force the issue, instead of making the right plays, which he has shown he can do. Which makes it all the more frustrating. It's all mental with this guy. He's having a 27/12/3.3/1.5/1.4 on 54% TS... If he played right all the time, there is no reason why he can't be a 57%-60% TS guy on 25+ PPG...
I agree with you 100%. Dude takes too many retarded mid-range shots and he shouldn't be shooting 3's at all. I like DMC, but the guy thinks he's a guard. :facepalm

Gileraracer
03-23-2016, 07:46 AM
Rich mans Wilt.

Nash
03-23-2016, 08:01 AM
is he better than dwert?

Fallen Angel
03-23-2016, 08:10 AM
Do people still think Dwight is a Top 5 center?

DoctorP
03-23-2016, 08:22 AM
is he better than dwert?

Dwerp? Yep

Jasper
03-23-2016, 09:27 AM
If this guy were capable of playing 36 mpg...

17 ppg, 15 rpg, and 5 bpg...on a .600+ FG% (with a .625 TS%.)

He's a terrible player , but my Bucks will ask if he would like to play with Giannis and Parker.
If he does , it would be the best front court in the league

:cheers: :D :cheers:

Jasper
03-23-2016, 09:28 AM
Do people still think Dwight is a Top 5 center?
I'd say top 30 for sure.

Captvic
03-23-2016, 02:27 PM
Towns > Whiteside

Mass Debator
03-23-2016, 02:29 PM
2 months ago I would've said hell no. Now? Arguably so

Crimsonrain777
03-23-2016, 02:37 PM
Both Cousins and Whiteside are known for having bad attitudes and quick tempers. so far, the Heat seemed to have been able to reign in Whiteside to an extent. he's matured and improved in both basketball skills and emotional control. i wonder if Miami wouldve been able to do the same with Cousins if he ever played for the team

PP34Deuce
03-23-2016, 02:38 PM
I think it's funny how people think lebron is coming back to MIA or wants to come back.

Dwade is his friend but part of the reason he left MIA was so each of those guys could get paid while gaining control over a franchise in Cleveland.

Riley runs MIA. Lebron strikes me as the type that wants to prove he can do it all. Failure or not, he's not coming back to MIA.

Crimsonrain777
03-23-2016, 02:44 PM
I think it's funny how people think lebron is coming back to MIA or wants to come back.

Dwade is his friend but part of the reason he left MIA was so each of those guys could get paid while gaining control over a franchise in Cleveland.

Riley runs MIA. Lebron strikes me as the type that wants to prove he can do it all. Failure or not, he's not coming back to MIA.

who? the majority of people who think that probably arent Heat fans

senelcoolidge
03-23-2016, 03:36 PM
The best traditional center. Top 2 center in the league.

Chadwin
03-23-2016, 03:40 PM
If Cousins would stick to the post he would be. He's more efficient in the post (.21 more PPP).

VengefulAngel
03-23-2016, 03:40 PM
Yes.