PDA

View Full Version : Warriors are the downfall of American basketball

JohnnySic
03-17-2016, 09:59 AM
Their small-ball, shoot 3's and layups style is not good. It only works for them because they happen to have arguably the 2 best shooters ever, and a slew of supporting players who also shoot 3's well. Its a shame that the league is following their example. In the future, USA teams are gonna get pounded into dust by international teams that play traditional, fundamental, big man post-play basketball.

Akrazotile
03-17-2016, 10:00 AM
Are you praying on their downfall?

Zach LaVine
03-17-2016, 10:01 AM
Their small-ball, shoot 3's and layups style is not good. It only works for them because they happen to have arguably the 2 best shooters ever, and a slew or supporting players who also shoot 3's well. Its a shame that the league is following their example. In the future, USA teams are gonna get pounded into dust by international teams that play traditional, fundamental, big man post-play basketball.
In the mean time, lets see how Curry does in international play.

SexSymbol
03-17-2016, 10:01 AM
Their small-ball, shoot 3's and layups style is not good. It only works for them because they happen to have arguably the 2 best shooters ever, and a slew or supporting players who also shoot 3's well. Its a shame that the league is following their example. In the future, USA teams are gonna get pounded into dust by international teams that play traditional, fundamental, big man post-play basketball.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ob_PMk6jSHc/UfNHS4mzgsI/AAAAAAAAKDg/O-meAAJjGOI/s1600/gran-torino-clint-eastwood.jpg

Gileraracer
03-17-2016, 10:05 AM
This years ASG was an example. Felt like a hundret three point attempts.

Orlando Magic
03-17-2016, 10:13 AM
Their small-ball, shoot 3's and layups style is not good. It only works for them because they happen to have arguably the 2 best shooters ever, and a slew of supporting players who also shoot 3's well. Its a shame that the league is following their example. In the future, USA teams are gonna get pounded into dust by international teams that play traditional, fundamental, big man post-play basketball.

Have you considered that good shooting, while it can be a natural talent and your level of talent will certainly limit your ceiling, is something that more and more kids will potentially grow up working on as a result of Curry? More so than they ever did when they were trying to be Jordan?

Kids aren't going to grow up wanting to be Jordan anymore. They're not going to be focused strictly on highlight dunks. They're going to grow up wanting to be Curry just like some kids wanted to be Kobe, then LeBron. Obviously Jordan's game was far more than highlight dunks but not in the eyes of a child.

Maybe that's a good thing because it would certainly be easier to become Curry than Jordan.

JohnnySic
03-17-2016, 10:16 AM
Have you considered that good shooting, while it can be a natural talent and your level of talent will certainly limit your ceiling, is something that more and more kids will potentially grow up working on as a result of Curry? More so than they ever did when they were trying to be Jordan?

Kids aren't going to grow up wanting to be Jordan anymore. They're not going to be focused strictly on highlight dunks. They're going to grow up wanting to be Curry just like some kids wanted to be Kobe, then LeBron. Obviously Jordan's game was far more than highlight dunks but not in the eyes of a child.

Maybe that's a good thing because it would certainly be easier to become Curry than Jordan.
Good point.

tomtucker
03-17-2016, 10:24 AM
well, if everybody just starts shooting 3

Ca$H
03-17-2016, 10:24 AM

Potentially 4/5 of the dubs starting lineup for next season might be on team USA this summer. Curry, Klay, Draygod, and potentially Durant. I could see them playing in 2020 also. After that guys like AD, KAT, and Lillard can take over.

Fallen Angel
03-17-2016, 10:36 AM
Golden State is more than shooting threes.

Curry is an elite ball handler, gym rat, and an elite finisher around the rim
Thompson can score anywhere on the court
Green is an All-World defender and is the most competitive player in the league even though he's only 6'7".

There's a line between those three and three NBA failures in which young players can grow up more similar to if they don't take the game seriously.

Instead of being Curry, kids may grow up like Jimmer Fredette.
Instead of being Thompson, kids may grow up like Nik Stauskas who is close to being out the league.
Instead of being Draymond, kids may grow up like Anthony Bennett.

Ca$H
03-17-2016, 10:46 AM

Green is an All-World defender and is the most competitive player in the league even though he's only 6'7".

There's a line between those three and three NBA failures in which young players can grow up more similar to if they don't take the game seriously.

Instead of being Thompson, kids may grow up like Nik Stauskas who is close to being out the league.

Instead of Kobe, kids may grow up like Gerald Green.

PP34Deuce
03-17-2016, 10:58 AM

Most kids will not have the athletic ceiling to do things that Kobe, Lebron, MJ did. it's going to be tough for them aspire to be those guys.

Curry and even Nash are players with athletiscm that can be achieved with hard work. The jumpshot adds years to your life in basketball. HS and college players see all the contracts skyrocketing and being guaranteed. 3 points gets you more than 2.

Antoine Walker talked about this before it became big. He said the infamous "there are no 4's" but he literally was able to play longer than he did because of a semi reliable 3 point shot as a big.

DukeDelonte13
03-17-2016, 11:24 AM
i think the NBA will eventually revert back to the traditional true big half court game. It's cyclical.

PP34Deuce
03-17-2016, 11:41 AM
i think the NBA will eventually revert back to the traditional true big half court game. It's cyclical.

It's going to take a big man that can switch on PnR's, anchor a defense and score inside to punish small ball.

KAT and Anthony Davis could do that. Wish their coaches had them stop shooting 3's.

senelcoolidge
03-17-2016, 11:42 AM

I think so too. This current nba for me personally isn't appealing and I think it will run it's course. The big man will come back and more traditional basketball will come back.

JtotheIzzo
03-17-2016, 12:05 PM
Its a fad, the pendulum will swing back. None of the next generation are great 3pt shooters, the post game and midrange game qill have a resurgance.

Once every team is built for small ball it will take a different approach to get ro the next level.

Look for longer players in the future, Freak, KAT, Unicorn, Simmons etc.

GSW is a great team in an era where an organization that is great (SAS) are rhe only real threat, and their roster is kinda mediocre (for a great team) but they make up for it with amazing organization.

GSW is the only combo of talent and management/coaching, others will come along.

jstern
03-17-2016, 12:13 PM
How? Unless they change the rules and make it the way it used to be for perimeter players, then shooting 3s is just going to be more efficient.

ralph_i_el
03-17-2016, 12:37 PM
Lol, remember when the US was going to get stomped into the ground by Euro teams who could outshoot us and spread the floor?

:roll:

1manfastbreak
03-17-2016, 02:11 PM
Have you not been watching the USA dominate in the Olympics for the past 8 years?

The only way the league shifts back into a slow half court game is if they somehow move the three point line back or make some sort of rule change. I don't see it happening.

The game of basketball is more fluid and exciting then it has ever been. USA players are finally realizing that they can't just get by on playground skills and athleticism.

DukeDelonte13
03-17-2016, 02:16 PM
Have you not been watching the USA dominate in the Olympics for the past 8 years?

The only way the league shifts back into a slow half court game is if they somehow move the three point line back or make some sort of rule change. I don't see it happening.

The game of basketball is more fluid and exciting then it has ever been. USA players are finally realizing that they can't just get by on playground skills and athleticism.

The cavs came two games away from winning a chip LAST YEAR playing the slow half court game minus two of their allstars against a historically great team.

1manfastbreak
03-17-2016, 02:21 PM
The cavs came two games away from winning a chip LAST YEAR playing the slow half court game minus two of their allstars against a historically great team.

but they didn't.

team > player.

which is typical for American basketball. feed your best player. Look what happened in Athens in 2004.

If people don't like the direction basketball is heading then they should start watching more baseball, because that game will never change.

Rooster
03-17-2016, 02:24 PM

I disagree. One of the reason USA are winning because they they utilizing their speed and talent. If you look at the last Olympic final against Spain, they got pounded inside but still won the gold. NBA and FIBA call fouls differently. FIBA refs will blow their whistles if a big deny the inside position just like when Chandler was denying Pau while the NBA allows the battle inside for position. It allows the soft Euro big to play their game.

Nick Young
03-17-2016, 02:31 PM
The Warriors are awesome.

The problem is when you step on a court in the park now, all the young kids think they're Steph Curry and do nothing but chuck contested pull up threes even if they aren't good shooters.

I guess the 1 time out of 10 that they make it is worth it for them:confusedshrug:

Curry is inspiring kids to chuck 3s with reckless abandon.

There is always bad that comes with good.

Inferno
03-17-2016, 03:21 PM

:applause:

Spurs m8
03-17-2016, 03:30 PM
Potentially 4/5 of the dubs starting lineup for next season might be on team USA this summer. Curry, Klay, Draygod, and potentially Durant. I could see them playing in 2020 also. After that guys like AD, KAT, and Lillard can take over.

Oh stfu

PP34Deuce
03-17-2016, 03:33 PM
The Warriors are awesome.

The problem is when you step on a court in the park now, all the young kids think they're Steph Curry and do nothing but chuck contested pull up threes even if they aren't good shooters.

I guess the 1 time out of 10 that they make it is worth it for them:confusedshrug:

Curry is inspiring kids to chuck 3s with reckless abandon.

There is always bad that comes with good.

It's easier to hoist a 30 footer and swish it 3-10 times than have 0-10 chances of getting in the lane and dunking on someone in the NBA.

Boys can't relate to Lebron,Durant, Howard, etc.. It's no coincidence people identify who's closest to them. Curry represents 6'2 and under guys that we saw in the park that shot more than pass.

Actually believe women are getting taller than men nowadays.

ZenMaster
03-17-2016, 04:16 PM
I disagree. One of the reason USA are winning because they they utilizing their speed and talent. If you look at the last Olympic final against Spain, they got pounded inside but still won the gold. NBA and FIBA call fouls differently. FIBA refs will blow their whistles if a big deny the inside position just like when Chandler was denying Pau while the NBA allows the battle inside for position. It allows the soft Euro big to play their game.

Great NBA battle for inside position right here!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zP7haK0DOc

Rooster
03-17-2016, 04:27 PM
Great NBA battle for inside position right here!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zP7haK0DOc

Those are perimeter players with a flopper involved. I'm pretty sure you will find some videos but I am talking in general. This is one reason Pau can't dominate like he normally does in FIBA. He's too skilled not to score when he gets the ball that deep. He's still a great player nonetheless but in FIBA, he's unstoppable.

miggyme1
03-17-2016, 04:39 PM

while I agree that this style of basketball kind of loses sight of the fundamentals in a sense you crazy if you think this style of play will cost team usa come international play. We still have the best athletes on the planet.....no offense to other nations but find me a Spanish guy that can run and jump like Anthony davis at the pf/c postion.....a French guy that has handles like curry and can hit difficult 3s like him....a center with wing like attributes like cousins. Hell find me anybody faster than a john wall/westbrook in any other country right now.

so sorry I cant agree with that

ZenMaster
03-17-2016, 04:48 PM
Those are perimeter players with a flopper involved. I'm pretty sure you will find some videos but I am talking in general. This is one reason Pau can't dominate like he normally does in FIBA. He's too skilled not to score when he gets the ball that deep. He's still a great player nonetheless but in FIBA, he's unstoppable.

You are arguing for NBA rules being for the big and tough, the ref called a foul in the clip mind you..

Nick Young
03-17-2016, 04:56 PM
It's easier to hoist a 30 footer and swish it 3-10 times than have 0-10 chances of getting in the lane and dunking on someone in the NBA.

Boys can't relate to Lebron,Durant, Howard, etc.. It's no coincidence people identify who's closest to them. Curry represents 6'2 and under guys that we saw in the park that shot more than pass.

Actually believe women are getting taller than men nowadays.
People relate to Curry but they also admire his insane skill.

Curry is a great athlete with amazing core strength, but his main advantages are his skills.

It is easier to look up to someone with elite skills that you can one day emulate if you work extremely hard than it is to admire a mega athlete with little skill that you can never emulate like Lebron or Howard.

Curry worked for what he had.

Lebron and Howard were born elite athletes, and did not work hard, that's why their skills and fundamentals are still so shit. It is difficult to look up to this type of person.

Curry is a much better rolemodel to kids, but kids have to realize he had to work extremely hard to get to the point where he could justify chucking 12 three-pointers a night.

BarberSchool
03-17-2016, 05:28 PM
[QUOTE=tomtucker]well, if everybody just starts shooting 3

BarberSchool
03-17-2016, 05:39 PM
It's going to take a big man that can switch on PnR's, anchor a defense and score inside to punish small ball.

KAT and Anthony Davis could do that. Wish their coaches had them stop shooting 3's.Good point about Kat and Davis. They have the lateral quickness and agility to do what slow footed bigs like cousins, Drummond, Dwight, gasol bros, zbo, Noah and deandre can't.

You would figure bigs length would help them bother shots, but small guards are now shooting single motion quick releases, also, bigs are scared of getting burned off the dribble.

It's really a horrible era for bigs on defense. It's why wings will be winning DPOY for some time to come. Rim protection isn't as valuable as defending the 3pt line anymore, when playing elite teams.

HurricaneKid
03-17-2016, 05:44 PM
In the future, USA teams are gonna get pounded into dust by international teams that play traditional, fundamental, big man post-play basketball.

This is patently ridiculous. The NBA followed international play TO THIS POINT. There is no post play in international ball. The defenses are even MORE stacked to prevent such play (no def 3 sec rule).

Euroleague
03-17-2016, 05:55 PM

The refs have never let an opponent of Team USA play that style of basketball, ever since Greece beat the US in 2006.

Since then, the refs 100% control every single game Team USA plays in.

Euroleague
03-17-2016, 05:58 PM
Lol, remember when the US was going to get stomped into the ground by Euro teams who could outshoot us and spread the floor?

:roll:

It happened in 2002 World Cup, 2004 Olympics, and 2006 World Cup.

Then the FIBA refs ever since then have favored the USA by 70/30 to 80/20 in every game they played and always made sure they won any close game.

I seriously doubt Team USA will ever lose another game in all of history, as long as the current reffing system is in place.

Levity
03-17-2016, 06:03 PM

good shit. go to any gym and all you will see is kids launching 3s. it's all they want to work on. it may not be ideal, but if kids continue to develop their game this way, the future of the NBA will be very very 3ball (lulz) friendly

Euroleague
03-17-2016, 06:05 PM

You are absolutely insane.

Everyone that isn't retarded or a pure liar, knows that FIBA only cares about 4 teams.

1. USA
2. Spain
3. Lithuania
4. Argentina

In that order. Those teams will always be favored by the refs, and have been for 25-30 years.

The only time Spain does not get favored is when they play USA. And the refs always make sure the games between USA and Spain are close.

Gasol is getting babied because FIBA is rigged and always has been.

Any big man that does not play for one of those above teams is getting absolutely mugged the entire game, and it's 10 times more physical than anything ever in NBA's history.

The fact that so many people like you can't grasp that FIBA is 100% rigged is truly astonishing. NBA is 100% rigged, but it's about 1/5 as blatant as FIBA is.

Teams like Lithuania and Argentina could not even finish top 12 in a Eurobasket if the reffing was 50/50.

Lithuania does not even have a point guard that is even good enough for Euroleague, yet they somehow manage to always get medals, and even stay within 3-5 points of USA.

They also seem to somehow manage to beat vastly superior European teams like Croatia, and especially Serbia and Greece (that have 10 times the talent they have).

Argentina, if the games were reffed 50/50, could not even beat teams like Belgium or Czech Republic.

STOP BEING A GOD DAMN ****ING WASTE OF LIFE and get a ****ing clue already.

Euroleague
03-17-2016, 06:09 PM
This is patently ridiculous. The NBA followed international play TO THIS POINT. There is no post play in international ball. The defenses are even MORE stacked to prevent such play (no def 3 sec rule).

Everyone knows that Team USA is allowed to play under NBA rules for palming the ball and traveling violations, while every other team, even Spain (FIBA's second team that they always give ref help to) has to play with FIBA rules for palming and traveling.

The last time that Team USA played under FIBA rules was at the 2007 FIBA Americas Championship.

In every tournament since that, they could palm and travel as much as they wanted to.

Again, the fact that so many retards here still don't know this is truly bizarre, especially when numerous FIBA refs from the World Cup and Olympics have said it over and over to the press.

CuterThanRubio
03-17-2016, 06:18 PM
Basketball is a spectator sport, a form of entertainment beyond all else.

Long shots are more appealing to the crowd because people can see what is happening, as opposed to a wild scrum under the basket.

Shouldn't be surprise that the NBA is more popular than ever right now!

3ball
03-17-2016, 06:21 PM

OMG.... :applause:... :bowdown:

I agree that the only reason their system works is because they have literally the best 3-point shooting backcourt of all-time...

And it's not even close... That's the only reason their system works so well (they have other good players too, but their backcourt is the foundation upon which everything is based).

90sgoat
03-17-2016, 06:50 PM
when a team shoots threes at such a high percentage that draws defenders out of the paint, it creates more room, for front court players to catch and finish thru much less contact. Which equals more highlight dunks for fans. Do you think deandre Jordan gets those highlight dunks without spacing from Paul's handles and vision, or reddick's super efficient perimeter threat ? Do you think Bogut is able to catch and finish all those lobs, he's been getting, by himself? Without the splash brothers stretching the defense? One is a product of the other.

Spacing, ball movement, and shooting, are not the enemies of highlight dunks. They in fact create a situation which produces more of such plays, than does iso-ball, which allows defenses to load up and produce lower percentage contested shots.

Ball movement by passing is faster and actually much more disrupting to defenses, than by dribbling. It also uses much less energy over 48mins, which is why 2011 finals Dirk shitted on LeBron in fourth quarters. LeBron was running sideline to sideline all night on defense, because spiels tea knew turnovers and transition points were their bread and butter. They had no choice.

This era of perimeter shooting dominance, is a natural reaction to zone defenses being allowed. Teams adapt, and play to suit their rosters strengths. Why is anyone worried ? The game is evolving, and other than Drummond, gasol bros, zbo, cousins, not many other centers have good enough post games to be the centerpiece of an efficient offense. It certainly ain't Dwight Howard or Deandre.

This era will naturally give way to yet another adaptation, that Popovich already has his finger on the pulse of, as do Thibbs, Doc, and Carlisle, surprisingly.

Stop worrying, worrywarts.

The game is growing at a rate higher than any other era besides magic/bird, and Jordan era. Other posters alluded to curry being a more universal/realistic trajectory for young players, to identify with skill wise, socially, hell, even racially. And this is all a part of the worldwide marketing scheme of the league.

It's natural evolution, and what is most effective, most efficient, and most deadly, will always win in due time. 3's above 40% are far more deadly than 2's at 50%. Coaches like Kerr, or Hoiberg at Iowa St. (Not yet here for the Bulls) are finally showing this to the public.

So many words spent to try to deny that the change in gameplay is due to the NBA adopting rules which have NOTHING to do with how the actual game of basketball is played.

In casu, the 3 Second Defensive rule which is a bastard of a rule which has no basis in any kind of basketball EVER.

Without the 3 defensive rule, players are not going to collapse for the cutter in anyway near as much which means far less open 3s.

I am so tired of people not being able to get this simple idea. It has NOTHING to do with the 3 point shooting being better - well somewhat of course - but it is not revolutionary, it is mainly because of lack of handchecking and in particular the awful, awful, no basketball rule, Defensive 3 seconds.

BarberSchool
03-17-2016, 06:58 PM
So many words spent to try to deny that the change in gameplay is due to the NBA adopting rules which have NOTHING to do with how the actual game of basketball is played.

In casu, the 3 Second Defensive rule which is a bastard of a rule which has no basis in any kind of basketball EVER.

Without the 3 defensive rule, players are not going to collapse for the cutter in anyway near as much which means far less open 3s.

I am so tired of people not being able to get this simple idea. It has NOTHING to do with the 3 point shooting being better - well somewhat of course - but it is not revolutionary, it is mainly because of lack of handchecking and in particular the awful, awful, no basketball rule, Defensive 3 seconds.defensive 3 seconds certainly helps open lanes up.

And it does betray the history of the game, and push it more towards entertainment than true competition as we non professionals know it.

But to say the generational increase in 3pt attempts and efficiencies the league is seeing right now aren't positively contributing to opening said lanes for highlight dunks even more, is not intellectually honest.