PDA

View Full Version : Please school me on Barkley's defense...

stalkerforlife
03-14-2016, 05:45 PM
I'm 33 and I saw Barkley play, but I was too young to comprehend and the memories are faint. I even had his tight ass shoes back in the day.

Anyhow, is the reputation about his defense true? Was he really bad?

Would you compare him to Steve Nash in this sense? Brilliant offensively and bad defensively.

Because his offense was GOAT tier at times.

miggyme1
03-14-2016, 05:49 PM
I'm 33 and I saw Barkley play, but I was too young to comprehend and the memories are faint. I even had his tight ass shoes back in the day.

Would you compare him to Steve Nash in this sense? Brilliant offensively and bad defensively.

He was the melo of his generation pretty much......played defense in spurts...wasn't horrible just didn't give much effort on that end of the floor most nights

Nick Young
03-14-2016, 05:56 PM

There is a reason this man has no titles. He was a great defensive rebounder, but lazy defender. He was capable of playing good D when he tried.

Ranked 12th
03-14-2016, 06:04 PM
Yet another player better than Kobe all-time.

Yankstar
03-14-2016, 06:09 PM

WTF is your problem. You the reason this forum is cancer

http://images.memes.com/meme/tile/847766

stalkerforlife
03-14-2016, 06:12 PM
He was the melo of his generation pretty much......played defense in spurts...wasn't horrible just didn't give much effort on that end of the floor most nights

But he was better offensively and at rebounding, at least on paper.

stalkerforlife
03-14-2016, 06:13 PM
There is a reason this man has no titles. He was a great defensive rebounder, but lazy defender. He was capable of playing good D when he tried.

Reminds me a little of Love.

But a lot of people think Barkley would dominate this era and win titles.

feyki
03-14-2016, 06:24 PM
He was like 2004 or 2006 Finals Shaq ( or After 2007 Dirk ) when he lazy . But he was good defender when he focus .

He wasn't as good as Karl defensively even at his peak . But not away from him .

Barkley's greatness about goat finishing level at rim and his rebounding ability . Also , He had some good playmaking when he want ( like Shaq ) .

InsanityKills
03-14-2016, 06:30 PM
:applause: :applause: :applause:

Wow, your presence on these forums make them much better!

warriorfan
03-14-2016, 06:53 PM
To be honest imagine if James Harden played Power Forward

Not stylistically the same but impact wise, dominant on offense but James Harden style defense...lazy, unfocused, flat out not trying most of the time.

I've seen full games on NBA TV of philly Barkley. He was dominant offensively but a complete turn-style defensively. He wouldn't even try. If anyone doubts me go watch some Barkley games or provide a link to a full Barkley game and you will see what I'm talking about.

He was still a great player though and had an MVP level prime.

stalkerforlife
03-14-2016, 07:04 PM
To be honest imagine if James Harden played Power Forward

Not stylistically the same but impact wise, dominant on offense but James Harden style defense...lazy, unfocused, flat out not trying most of the time.

I've seen full games on NBA TV of philly Barkley. He was dominant offensively but a complete turn-style defensively. He wouldn't even try. If anyone doubts me go watch some Barkley games or provide a link to a full Barkley game and you will see what I'm talking about.

He was still a great player though and had an MVP level prime.

:eek:

So essentially worse than Nash because Nash attempted to play D.

90sgoat
03-14-2016, 07:09 PM

Great defensive rebounder?

Nope, great rebounder, great offensive rebounder, ALL TIME GREAT rebounder.

To compare, Kevin Garnett who the younger generation thinks is a beast and better than Barkley (he is not), had a career high record of 3.5 offensive rebounds a game. Barkley at 36 years old had 3.6 and a career high of 5.1 offensive rebounds a game.

I don't think people realize how insanely good that is.

Let's compare to other great rebounders, their best season for offensive rebounds:

Tim Duncan - 3.5
Garnett - 3.5
Tristan Thompson - 3.9
Ben Wallace - 4
Dwight Howard - 4.3
Shaq - 4.7
Barkley - 5.1
Rodman - 6.4

Barkley averages 4.0 offensive rebounds pr. game over a 16 year career!

He did this while being the team's leading scorer.

And of course, he did that while being 6'6'' two inches smaller than Lebron James.

Barkley might be the second best rebounder in the history of the game.

Does that count for something?

As for his defense, I don't have much recollection of his defense, he was certainly not known as a lock down defender, but much of that was due to his physique, too small to guard big power forwards, too heavy to guard most guards and small forwards.

He made up for it by being a good help defender and had quick hands, which his steal totals testify.

Second, he was one of the greatest coast to coast players, grabbing one of his 12-14 rebounds and racing all the way to the other side.

I don't think Barkley gets credit for his INSANE rebounding while being the size of a shooting guard. I don't think he gets the credit for leading the league in 2pt% several years in a row in a league with multiple elite big men. The man was unstoppable one on one. A great passer out of the post, a great post player, a great mid range shot, a functional 3 point shot, a great open court game.

Barkley played Power Forward but he was one of those very few positionless players on the court.

warriorfan
03-14-2016, 07:17 PM
:eek:

So essentially worse than Nash because Nash attempted to play D.

Actually you can kinda lump Nash, Harden, and Barkley together with their dominant offense and negative defense that still ends up being a great player. Barkley has more impact defensively than Nash and Harden due to his defensive rebounding, but he is still not defending at your Power Forward position. Teams with shitty defending Power Forwards are not going to perform well on defense. If you look at how Charles Barkley's teams performed on defense throughout his career, they did very poorly.

Ranked 12th
03-14-2016, 07:19 PM
Actually you can kinda lump Nash, Harden, and Barkley together with their dominant offense and negative defense that still ends up being a great player. Barkley has more impact defensively than Nash and Harden due to his defensive rebounding, but he is still not defending at your Power Forward position. Teams with shitty defending Power Forwards are not going to perform well on defense. If you look at how Charles Barkley's teams performed on defense throughout his career, they did very poorly.

Curry?

warriorfan
03-14-2016, 07:23 PM
Curry?

Curry is a much better defender than Nash, Harden, and Barkley. Advanced stats and eye test confirm this.

Nash, Harden, and Barkley have all had MVP tier peak seasons. Steph Curry is having a GOAT tier peak season.

Round Mound
03-14-2016, 07:23 PM
Barkley was lazy on defense but as someone mentioned before, when he had his mind into it he was quite good. Its not very easy to defend when your are just a shade under 6-5 ft while guarding 6-8, 6-9, 6-10, 6-11 etc plus PFs. He never had a great or good defensive center around him in his prime as what Malone had in Eaton and Duncan in Robinson but he when he had a decent defensive center in Moses Malone (who was average defensively) he was 7th in defensive rating in the whole league. In his sixer years when he was athletic and young he had seasons averaging almost 2 spg and 1.6 bpg which is amazing for a guy his size playing the PF spot. He was a good team defender too.

ralph_i_el
03-14-2016, 07:27 PM
Great defensive rebounder?

Nope, great rebounder, great offensive rebounder, ALL TIME GREAT rebounder.

To compare, Kevin Garnett who the younger generation thinks is a beast and better than Barkley (he is not), had a career high record of 3.5 offensive rebounds a game. Barkley at 36 years old had 3.6 and a career high of 5.1 offensive rebounds a game.

I don't think people realize how insanely good that is.

Let's compare to other great rebounders, their best season for offensive rebounds:

Tim Duncan - 3.5
Garnett - 3.5
Tristan Thompson - 3.9
Ben Wallace - 4
Dwight Howard - 4.3
Shaq - 4.7
Barkley - 5.1
Rodman - 6.4

Barkley averages 4.0 offensive rebounds pr. game over a 16 year career!

He did this while being the team's leading scorer.

And of course, he did that while being 6'6'' two inches smaller than Lebron James.

Barkley might be the second best rebounder in the history of the game.

Does that count for something?

As for his defense, I don't have much recollection of his defense, he was certainly not known as a lock down defender, but much of that was due to his physique, too small to guard big power forwards, too heavy to guard most guards and small forwards.

He made up for it by being a good help defender and had quick hands, which his steal totals testify.

Second, he was one of the greatest coast to coast players, grabbing one of his 12-14 rebounds and racing all the way to the other side.

I don't think Barkley gets credit for his INSANE rebounding while being the size of a shooting guard. I don't think he gets the credit for leading the league in 2pt% several years in a row in a league with multiple elite big men. The man was unstoppable one on one. A great passer out of the post, a great post player, a great mid range shot, a functional 3 point shot, a great open court game.

Barkley played Power Forward but he was one of those very few positionless players on the court.

pace

90sgoat
03-14-2016, 07:45 PM
pace

Nope, pace was 91.8, 90.1, 90.3 from 1995-1998 and Barkley averaged 3.4, 4.0, 3.5 offensive rebounds at 32-34 years old.

In comparison, pace this year 95.8, last two years 93.9, while Shaq and Duncan played it was similar to 1995-98.