PDA

View Full Version : Anderson Varejao appreciation thread

Uncle Drew
02-18-2016, 02:14 PM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/teamsites/images/legacy/cavaliers/varejao_130605.jpg

Thanks for everything, you beautiful Brazilian. I will miss your fierce rebounding, your heart, your hustle and of course that same old hair. That said, **** LeBron James, David Griffin and Dan Gilbert.

JohnnySic
02-18-2016, 02:16 PM
https://t.chzbgr.com/ThumbnailCache/maxW290/i.chzbgr.com/completestore/2010/9/7/a390f6a8-7c52-401a-92e4-0eedf0bbf68f.jpg

SwishSquared
02-18-2016, 02:17 PM
He's likely being waived. Probably doesn't even leave Cleveland. If I had to guess he'll retire and join the Cavs org.

Lebronxrings
02-18-2016, 02:18 PM
good riddance. We are fighting for a championship man the f*ck up or gtfo.

DukeDelonte13
02-18-2016, 02:20 PM
He's likely being waived. Probably doesn't even leave Cleveland. If I had to guess he'll retire and join the Cavs org.

that would be cool.

$LakerGold
02-18-2016, 02:30 PM
The only player left aside from Lebron since the first run? Never really cared, but I admire his loyalty.

LilEddyCurry
02-18-2016, 02:34 PM
I am not sure if this is actually a good trade. GMs underrate team chemistry, LeBron has a really close relationship to Andy and said that he was the "heartbeat" of the team...

What does Frye add that Kevin Love does not provide currently? :(

FatComputerNerd
02-18-2016, 02:40 PM
A sad day for true Cleveland sports fans.

Maybe he will pull a Z to minny move and get cut then we re-sign him?

Either way the Wild Thing will remain in the hearts of Cavs fans forever, much like Big Z, and his jersey should hang in the rafters one day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoaZ7EaV3yw

Optimus Prime
02-18-2016, 02:53 PM
I'd feel bad for him but he gets paid millions anyway so he'll be fine.

But it is a raw deal for him to tough out the bad years after LeQuit bailed only to be traded when the team is a contender again because LeBeta needs more help.

:kobe:

TheMarkMadsen
02-18-2016, 02:55 PM

no, they can't do that cheap bullshit anymore. Cavs already got away with that when they traded Big Z for Jaminson, then got Big Z back the next week.

Pretty sure the NBA put in a rule against that after that happened, people weren't happy that the Cavs were able to get away with that.

SwishSquared
02-18-2016, 02:57 PM
no, they can't do that cheap bullshit anymore. Cavs already got away with that when they traded Big Z for Jaminson, then got Big Z back the next week.

Pretty sure the NBA put in a rule against that after that happened, people weren't happy that the Cavs were able to get away with that.There's a rule about if you sign as a player, not as a coach or exec. He'd have to retire for that to happen though. Joining the Cavs org meant as a member of FO, staff, etc. Not as a player.

TheMarkMadsen
02-18-2016, 02:59 PM
http://8328-presscdn-0-65.pagely.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/lebron-james-anderson-varejao-brazil.png

TheMarkMadsen
02-18-2016, 03:00 PM
There's a rule about if you sign as a player, not as a coach or exec. He'd have to retire for that to happen though. Joining the Cavs org meant as a member of FO, staff, etc. Not as a player.

oh okay, fair enough.

Sucks for Varejao, I remember him saying how happy he was that Lebron was coming back and how he wanted to finish his career as a Cav.

bluechox2
02-18-2016, 03:05 PM
oh okay, fair enough.

Sucks for Varejao, I remember him saying how happy he was that Lebron was coming back and how he wanted to finish his career as a Cav.

leGM got him traded...no loyalty

chips93
02-18-2016, 03:40 PM
Awesome player

At his best, he really was underrated. He had a short peak, and nobody outisde of cleveland noticed, but he was a really good all around player. His elbow jumper was consistent, he was great at finding cutters back door, (very similar to noah), a monster of a rebounder, and a really good pick and roll defender too.

He was really unlucky that the rest of the nba never got to really see him at his best because the cavs were so bad, and he was the type of good player who only gets appreciated on a playoff team.

:applause: :applause: :applause:

chips93
02-18-2016, 03:42 PM
i remember there was a game in phoenix, mid way through the season, the game couldn't have mattered any less. its in the first half, and hes denying nash the ball on the inbounds, forcing the suns to call a timeout.

obviously in the big picture, it was an inconsequential play, but it showed how much heart the guy had, to be giving 100%, when he had every reason to let up.

My favorite cavalier since i started following them in '07.

Uncle Drew
02-19-2016, 11:43 AM
[QUOTE]CLEVELAND, Ohio

El Gato Negro
02-19-2016, 12:52 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjzqZdnHrsU&app=desktop

SouBeachTalents
02-19-2016, 01:00 PM
http://rs1001.pbsrc.com/albums/af133/rickiroma/wade.gif~c200

hiphopfan777
02-19-2016, 02:10 PM
Varejao is garbage. How many playoffs did he make without lebeon. No loyalty bailed out to join a younger western team. Lebron has a severely sprained shoulder ,bulging disk in back and always plays.

How mamy kardashian weddings this ugly white boy have. #black lives matter#

Uncle Drew
02-20-2016, 03:48 PM
[QUOTE]"Dear Cavs Fans Everywhere,

For the last 12 years, I have had the honor of representing the city of Cleveland and the Cavaliers organization, and for that I will forever be grateful. Coming over from Spain at the young age of 21 was a difficult transition, but as soon as I put on a Cavs jersey and stepped on the court, I felt at home.

There were seasons we played well together, and there were seasons we struggled together. We had playoff runs, and we had championship runs. Over the last 12 seasons we have had many ups and downs, but no matter the product on the court one thing never changed

ihatetimthomas
02-20-2016, 04:13 PM
I liked his energy but this whole "he's so loyal" thing is kind of ridiculous. How was he loyal? He didn't take any pay cut to stay with the Cavs. He was paid market value or above market value his entire career. It's easy to remain loyal and stay with one team when they pay you. Loyal guys remain with their teams when they were offered more elsewhere. Not many players can say that, only Tim Duncan and maybe Dirk.

Spurs m8
02-20-2016, 05:29 PM
Varejao is garbage. How many playoffs did he make without lebeon. No loyalty bailed out to join a younger western team. Lebron has a severely sprained shoulder ,bulging disk in back and always plays.

Yeah...coz lebron is so loyal and not a drug cheat... you dimwitted fgt

RedBlackAttack
02-20-2016, 05:31 PM
I liked his energy but this whole "he's so loyal" thing is kind of ridiculous. How was he loyal? He didn't take any pay cut to stay with the Cavs. He was paid market value or above market value his entire career. It's easy to remain loyal and stay with one team when they pay you. Loyal guys remain with their teams when they were offered more elsewhere. Not many players can say that, only Tim Duncan and maybe Dirk.
This is a very fair point. I love Andy as much as the next guy, but he has held out in the past for contracts. He knows that -- at the end of the day -- this is business and his value to contract was no longer tenable for a team fighting tooth and nail for a title.

If he was still really contributing, I would have put up more of a fight, but he was buried on the bench and being paid $10+ million.

Yes, I will always appreciate his energy, hustle, and the way he embraced the community here. But, he also made a lot of money over the years with the Cavs.

I would welcome him back on a reasonable contract next season so he can retire a Cavalier. That is what should happen.

$LakerGold
02-20-2016, 06:14 PM
This is a very fair point. I love Andy as much as the next guy, but he has held out in the past for contracts. He knows that -- at the end of the day -- this is business and his value to contract was no longer tenable for a team fighting tooth and nail for a title.

If he was still really contributing, I would have put up more of a fight, but he was buried on the bench and being paid $10+ million.

Yes, I will always appreciate his energy, hustle, and the way he embraced the community here. But, he also made a lot of money over the years with the Cavs.

I would welcome him back on a reasonable contract next season so he can retire a Cavalier. That is what should happen.
:pimp:

ihatetimthomas
02-20-2016, 11:36 PM

Good perspective from a Cavs fan. The NBA is a business for both sides. The term loyalty gets thrown around all the time. In the end, teams and players are looking out for themselves. And I do not blame them. A player can be loyal to a team and be traded in a second. A team can be loyal to a player and they jump ship.

The thing I can give credit to Andy is that he appears to have genuinely loved the team and city. He got paid yes but he embraced the Cavs and that is more than a lot of guys can say.

FatComputerNerd
02-21-2016, 11:37 AM

eat shit and stuff

Lebron23
02-21-2016, 11:38 AM
Greatly Appreciated

:applause: :applause: :applause:

BuffaloBill
02-21-2016, 11:53 AM
http://rs1001.pbsrc.com/albums/af133/rickiroma/wade.gif~c200

He tried.

Would love to have this guy on the Spurs, and not on the Warriors.

chips93
02-21-2016, 12:09 PM

i think a lot of guys, putting up the stats he was on such bad teams, would have looked to force a trade, and get on a contender while they were still in their prime. andy never did.

plus the fact that he played so hard, every night, for such bad teams shows loyalty too.

Uncle Drew
02-21-2016, 12:18 PM
Golden State has emerged as the heavy favorite to sign Anderson Varejao after he clears waivers later today, according to league sources

Meaning he'll win a title before the Cavaliers do. :oldlol:

FatComputerNerd
02-21-2016, 12:28 PM
Meaning he'll win a title before the Cavaliers do. :oldlol:

That would suck for us but I'd be thrilled for Andy.

DukeDelonte13
02-21-2016, 12:43 PM
That would suck for us but I'd be thrilled for Andy.

same i'd be happy if he gets one.

embersyc
02-21-2016, 12:51 PM
Varejao always annoyed me most when we played against the Cavs, so that means he is a player who clearly has an efffect on the games outcome regardless of his stats.

Would take him on my team in a heartbeat.

DukeDelonte13
02-21-2016, 12:56 PM
Varejao always annoyed me most when we played against the Cavs, so that means he is a player who clearly has an efffect on the games outcome regardless of his stats.

Would take him on my team in a heartbeat.

i'd say the same when he was in his prime.. but after his achilles he's become a poor defender and lost a lot of quickness. He still has a little elbow shot he can take when he's wide open and he's a good passer.

I don't think he'd be a difference maker on a contender with a good rotation.

RedBlackAttack
02-21-2016, 04:26 PM
Yeah, he used to be one of the best bigs in the league at blitzing the ball handler in the P&R and then still getting back on his man rolling to the basket (a defense almost no one deploys anymore).

He can still knock down the elbow J, keep the ball moving and get you an occasional offensive board, but one of his biggest strengths a few seasons ago -- his defense -- is now a shell of what it was.

Hard to see him getting a lot of minutes for a team like GS.

TheMarkMadsen
02-21-2016, 04:51 PM
Yeah, he used to be one of the best bigs in the league at blitzing the ball handler in the P&R and then still getting back on his man rolling to the basket (a defense almost no one deploys anymore).

He can still knock down the elbow J, keep the ball moving and get you an occasional offensive board, but one of his biggest strengths a few seasons ago -- his defense -- is now a shell of what it was.

With Festus out he may see some serious minutes for awhile

ILLsmak
02-21-2016, 09:17 PM
He's gonna pull a ray ray and go to GSW and get a rang.

-Smak

FatComputerNerd
02-22-2016, 03:19 AM

Don't forget about his P&R offense. I know the injuries have lessened his athleticism, but he was one of the best at it at one point. He would catch anything thrown to him as if he had glue on his hands.

Lebron & Andy on the offensive P&R was a thing of beauty.

Any decent passer w/ Andy on the P&R was a thing of beauty actually.