PDA

View Full Version : to all african-american members

pastis
02-12-2016, 06:56 AM
is being called "black-african" an insult to you?

i seriously didnt know that until know.

reason: "black-african" would mean to make difference between the "white-africa" = North Africa = part of the european/arab culture and subsaharan africa = black africa = slaves = no culture (which is not true of course, because there was a huge subsaharan culture, but that was the way many europeans/arabs thought)
Furthermore being called "black-african" would have a negative connotation, linking the term to asylum abuse and drug crime

I never even thought about calling someone "black-african" tbh. If someone comes from Nigeria, i will call him Nigerian etc. pp

dunksby
02-12-2016, 07:57 AM
Never heard of that one, African American is not well received though, why can't you just say black?

pastis
02-12-2016, 08:52 AM
Never heard of that one, African American is not well received though, why can't you just say black?

what african-american is also not well received? seriously, i didnt know that.

e.g. you also say german-american. well, another thing i have learned today.

dunksby
02-12-2016, 09:02 AM
what african-american is also not well received? seriously, i didnt know that.
i didnt want to offend anyonye.

e.g. you also say german-american. well, another thing i have learned today.
Well, do you refer to any white American as a European-American? It's easier to say white or black, it's a bit arbitrary cause you can call an American with Chinese/Korean etc ancestry an Asian. But you can't really go ahead and call them yellow, so yes, this kinda shit is delicate business.

jimmybball
02-12-2016, 10:27 AM
Never even heard the phrase before.

~primetime~
02-12-2016, 10:45 AM
Well, do you refer to any white American as a European-American? It's easier to say white or black, it's a bit arbitrary cause you can call an American with Chinese/Korean etc ancestry an Asian. But you can't really go ahead and call them yellow, so yes, this kinda shit is delicate business.

It shouldn't be delicate business...people are too easily offended

In fact I'll just go ahead and say if you're a black dude that is offended at the term "African American" then someone needs to slap the shit out of you. There is absolutely nothing offensive about "African American ", which is different than being "African".

Godzuki
02-12-2016, 11:04 AM
yeah its pretty funny how nowadays, or at least on ISH, american black dudes find being called 'african american' offensive and dont identify themselves as african :oldlol:

i swear just yesterday that shit was the only way u could properly describe black people without offending them :biggums:

i swear black people are so oversensitive about the dumbest shit. honestly tho i think its only on ISH where they find that term offensive since i've never met a black person in RL who gets offended by 'african american' :facepalm

dunksby
02-12-2016, 11:14 AM
It shouldn't be delicate business...people are too easily offended

In fact I'll just go ahead and say if you're a black dude that is offended at the term "African American" then someone needs to slap the shit out of you. There is absolutely nothing offensive about "African American ", which is different than being "African".
I'm going to go ahead and play the devil's advocate here and repeat that since nobody refers to a white American as a European American then African American shouldn't be either.

~primetime~
02-12-2016, 11:50 AM
I'm going to go ahead and play the devil's advocate here and repeat that since nobody refers to a white American as a European American then African American shouldn't be either.
So because no one says "European American " that makes "African American " offensive?

Think about what you're saying.

What people call whites had absolutely no bearing on the offensives of "African American "

Like if people did say "European American" then suddenly "African American " is acceptable?

Whatever people label the white community dictates what is offensive?

Ridiculous

iamgine
02-12-2016, 11:57 AM
Koreans would call you niga in front of your face.

Fearless people.

JohnnySic
02-12-2016, 12:00 PM
What about "colored"?

Godzuki
02-12-2016, 12:14 PM

Fearless people.

lets be real black people, mostly of the ghetto variety, are way more offensive to azn's than they are to blacks :coleman:

they call every azn chinese. if not Yao or Bruce Lee.

ain't nobody in America more politically incorrect towards other races than blacks by and large but they expect this extreme sensitivity towards them :coleman:

let me also be clear i'm talking american blacks, not african americans :oldlol: africans are generally very polite. ghetto american blacks tend to be rude, loud, and ignorant animals.

lets be real nikka's :coleman:

Godzuki
02-12-2016, 12:15 PM
What about "colored"?

it used to be colored or black...

but black people took offensive to being called those terms.

so it became african american. funny thing is sensitive educated black people came up with that term but now all of a sudden its offensive :oldlol:

nathanjizzle
02-12-2016, 12:38 PM
blacks are racist to asians. they often use the phrase "china man" or "jackie chan" to describe an asian person, and they do it openly.

jonathan
02-12-2016, 01:08 PM

Fearless people.

You probably heard a Chinese person. "nigguh" basically translates to "uh"

longtime lurker
02-12-2016, 02:20 PM
Calling a black person from outside of America an African American would be ****ing stupid.

NumberSix
02-12-2016, 02:21 PM
The only people that use "European-American" are white supremacists.

NumberSix
02-12-2016, 02:22 PM
blacks are racist to asians. they often use the phrase "china man" or "jackie chan" to describe an asian person, and they do it openly.
How is "China man" racist?

BurningHammer
02-12-2016, 02:32 PM
How is "China man" racist?
Maybe because they use the term to refer to any East Asian-looking persons regardless of whether they really are Chinese or not.

dunksby
02-12-2016, 04:23 PM
So because no one says "European American " that makes "African American " offensive?

Think about what you're saying.

What people call whites had absolutely no bearing on the offensives of "African American "

Like if people did say "European American" then suddenly "African American " is acceptable?

Whatever people label the white community dictates what is offensive?

Ridiculous
What are you going on about? If you don't refer to white Americans as European Americans then why would you do that about blacks? It's not about shit being offensive, but going by your own rule.

Trollsmasher
02-12-2016, 05:43 PM
how do African Americans feel when a proud, pureblooded Subsaharan calls them lightskins and whitey's dogs?

dunksby
02-12-2016, 05:47 PM
Exactly.

~primetime~
02-12-2016, 06:38 PM
What are you going on about? If you don't refer to white Americans as European Americans then why would you do that about blacks? It's not about shit being offensive, but going by your own rule.
I always assumed it was blacks who preferred that, as to separate them from Africans.

Why is it that whites have to set the rule on this? Shouldn't whites be upset that no one says "European Americans"? Why did you decide that blacks got shorted on this and not whites?

CavaliersFTW
02-12-2016, 06:41 PM
I get it sort of... but at the same time I have with certainty heard people who are trying to be descriptive towards white people as being German-American, Irish American, Italian American, etc

African in the sense that you're thinking would be used in place of ethnicity. And not intended to be offensive. So why be offended by it? I get that using it frequently would be annoying though I guess. But if someone trying to describe me regionally so as to indicate my appearance or w/e called me Northwestern-European-American, I wouldn't feel offended by it at all. I just don't see what's offensive about it?

CavaliersFTW
02-12-2016, 06:43 PM

Exactly.
:facepalm

No.

This is judgemental and overly sensitive at the same time.

outbreak
02-12-2016, 06:45 PM
But they do say things like Chinese american or italian american or dutch american etc etc etc etc.

Some parts of africa haven't kept as distinctly different cultures and languages as some areas of europe have which is why you hear african american instead of somalian american or congolese american but you hear german american or italian american

CavaliersFTW
02-12-2016, 06:53 PM
It's just weird to me how sensitive people are. Fragility, sensitivity and violence go hand in hand in my opinion.

I was raised to think my own sensitivity was MY problem. No one elses. If someone said something I didn't react well to, my REACTION was my own responsibility/problem. Not other peoples. Words are just words, and most words aren't intended to be offensive even if they can make us feel uncomfortable depending on the context. We live on a planet of 8 billion people, there is literally nothing you can do to not be HATED by someone out there, to the point that they want you DEAD. Yes you. If you're American for example you're hated simply for being such. What are you going to do, be offended by it? Settle down. Yet here we are talking about how the words "African American" which were at one point created strictly to be less offensive, are offensive. These are not real problems.

Akrazotile
02-12-2016, 07:22 PM
It's just weird to me how sensitive people are. Fragility, sensitivity and violence go hand in hand in my opinion.

I was raised to think my own sensitivity was MY problem. No one elses. If someone said something I didn't react well to, my REACTION was my own responsibility/problem. Not other peoples. Words are just words, and most words aren't intended to be offensive even if they can make us feel uncomfortable depending on the context. We live on a planet of 8 billion people, there is literally nothing you can do to not be HATED by someone out there, to the point that they want you DEAD. Yes you. If you're American for example you're hated simply for being such. What are you going to do, be offended by it? Settle down. Yet here we are talking about how the words "African American" which were at one point created strictly to be less offensive, are offensive. These are not real problems.

Well said.

But being offended in the social media age has become an incredibly effective way to get attention, get sympathy, and have people/businesses who've 'offended you' bend over backwards in submissive apology so as not to lose your business or taint their image.

We need to single out people who cry wolf about sensitivity and openly scorn them. They're not doing it for justice, they're doing it for self-aggrandization, leverage, and power.

Patrick Chewing
02-12-2016, 08:11 PM
I usually say "molasses looking fella"