PDA

View Full Version : Sources reveal in 2007 Lakers offered Kobe for LeBron, Cavs said no.

Draz
02-10-2016, 05:54 PM
Lakers offered Kobe for LeBron back in 07' when Kobe was demanding trades, at the time Bron was 22.

James was 22 years old at that time. He'd just led a team with limited talent to the Finals before losing to the Spurs. He'd averaged 25 points, 8 rebounds and 8 assists during the Cavs' playoff run, including a 48-point game in Detroit in the conference finals when he scored 29 of his team's final 30 points. He'd win his first MVP award two years later. James was under contract for three more seasons, determined to be better the next time he made the Finals.

This was the moment in time. One was the best player in the league, and one was the next-best player in the league. If Bryant was ever going to be traded, it would have to be for a player of James' caliber.

According to multiple sources, as the Lakers went through their options, a call was placed to the Cavs. The intent of the call, sources said, was clear: Would the Cavs make James available in a potential deal for Bryant?

Those who worked in Cleveland's front office remember it for one reason: It was the only time a team ever called to make an offer for James. He was considered the ultimate untouchable. Frankly, until that time, so was Bryant.

Even in 2003, when the Cavs won the draft lottery, the team's front office figured it would get a "Godfather" offer or two to give up the No. 1 pick they planned to use on James. But the phone never rang.

"I believe it," James told ESPN.com's Dave McMenamin this week about the 2007 offer. "If you give up one big fish, you got to get a big fish, too."

The Cavs said that James, indeed, was untouchable, sources said. Then they attempted to make the Lakers a different offer for Bryant, offering anyone else on their team in a package for him. The Lakers had no interest.

or Bryant, who had a no-trade clause in his contract, the answer was simple.

"I never would've approved it. Never. The trade to go to Cleveland? Never," Bryant told Holmes. "That wasn't one of the teams that was on my list. It was Chicago, San Antonio [or] Phoenix."

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14752456/truehoop-presents-sources-reveal-2007-kobe-lebron-trade-talk

warriorfan
02-10-2016, 05:56 PM
Lakers lucked out

Draz
02-10-2016, 06:00 PM
I just don't believe in LeBron's big fish if you know what I mean

JohnnySic
02-10-2016, 06:02 PM
Of course the Cavs would turn that down.

Mr Feeny
02-10-2016, 06:02 PM
Why would they want 12thBe when they have a top 3 GOAT :lebronamazed:

SexSymbol
02-10-2016, 06:09 PM
Shit, Cavs could've won a championship.

guy
02-10-2016, 06:14 PM
I don't really understand why this is a story.

Segatti
02-10-2016, 06:18 PM
Lebron + Gasol :bowdown:

JohnMax
02-10-2016, 06:21 PM
Kobe won 2 rings with less talent.

VengefulAngel
02-10-2016, 06:22 PM
Would have been great trade for both sides at the time. Lebron might have 4 rings and we could have got a Kobe vs Lebron finals.

Mr. Jabbar
02-10-2016, 06:37 PM
Lakers rings since then = 2
Cavs rings since then = ZERO

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Chalk up another one for the kobe/curry fam!

Captvic
02-10-2016, 06:38 PM
:lebroncry:

DonDraper
02-10-2016, 06:38 PM
Cavs rings since then = ZERO

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Chalk up another one for the kobe/curry fam!

Years since 2007 (2016-2007) = 9

Curry rings since then = 1

2 + 1 + 9

= 12 :lol :lol

Mr. Jabbar
02-10-2016, 06:40 PM
simon fuming right now :lol

I.

WIN.

Rooster
02-10-2016, 06:50 PM
Lakers dodged the bullet on this one. :cheers: Slim chance of putting 3 superstars together at their prime on one team in luxury tax era

feyki
02-10-2016, 06:54 PM
http://i.imgur.com/6SFWPU7.jpg

ballinhun8
02-10-2016, 07:43 PM
Chicago would've been a better fit for him that year.

Kobe in the East at that time? Our roster would've been a bit depleted after the trade but he would easily be able to take over games versus the crappier Eastern teams.

Hinrich/Kobe/Thabo/Nocioni/Big Ben with only really Duhon off the bench. But I'm sure the Lakers add a piece like a Brian Cook, Sasha, Vlad-Man.

That's enough talent for the East back then and we are probably adding another piece.

raprap
02-10-2016, 07:46 PM
Chicago would've been a better fit for him that year.

Kobe in the East at that time? Our roster would've been a bit depleted after the trade but he would easily be able to take over games versus the crappier Eastern teams.

Hinrich/Kobe/Thabo/Nocioni/Big Ben with only really Duhon off the bench. But I'm sure the Lakers add a piece like a Brian Cook, Sasha, Vlad-Man.

That's enough talent for the East back then and we are probably adding another piece.
East was top heavy back then.

Cavs
Celtics
Magic
Pistons were still competitive

That bulls line up you posted is not enough talent to get over the hump. Might make the second round tho.

Hey Yo
02-10-2016, 07:50 PM
or Bryant, who had a no-trade clause in his contract, the answer was simple.

"I never would've approved it. Never. The trade to go to Cleveland? Never," Bryant told Holmes. "That wasn't one of the teams that was on my list. It was Chicago, San Antonio [or] Phoenix."
Just further proof Kobe is a crying bitsh and wanted to run away to a contender after a few down seasons. He got his wish by having the Lakers to himself (once Shaq got traded) then saw how hard it was to carry a team like others had to do for years and :cry: to be traded. Just like he :cry: and said he would play for the Lakers only when he manipulated the draft.

ballinhun8
02-10-2016, 07:54 PM
East was top heavy back then.

Cavs
Celtics
Magic
Pistons were still competitive

That bulls line up you posted is not enough talent to get over the hump. Might make the second round tho.

Well, considering we won the lottery that season after losing in the 2nd round the season before, that'd be an improvement. With room to improve.

But that team is just as talented, if not more, than CLE outside of LeBron and ORL outside of Dwight those years.

ballinhun8
02-10-2016, 07:55 PM
Just further proof Kobe is a crying bitsh and wanted to run away to a contender after a few down seasons. He got his wish by having the Lakers to himself (once Shaq got traded) then saw how hard it was to carry a team like others had to do for years and :cry: to be traded. Just like he :cry: and said he would play for the Lakers only when he manipulated the draft.

Chicago wasn't a contender that year.

Hey Yo
02-10-2016, 07:57 PM
They were a 49 win team at the end of the 07 season.

ballinhun8
02-10-2016, 08:03 PM
They were a 49 win team at the end of the 07 season.

Our 2007 squad won 33.

Hey Yo
02-10-2016, 08:11 PM
Our 2007 squad won 33.
2007 season = 2006-07. That summer is when Kobe publicly demanded to be traded.

The 2007-08 season is when the Lakers got Pau in a trade and made the Finals. Which is also the year (2008) Chicago won 33 games.

TheBigVeto
02-10-2016, 08:23 PM
Shit, Cavs could've won a championship.

They wouldn't.

He Strong
02-10-2016, 08:56 PM
Teams have to do their due diligence. Lakers had to try to get LeBron, Cavs had to say no. This is really a non-story.