PDA

View Full Version : Bogut wants the NBA to play in Australia

outbreak
01-14-2016, 07:04 PM
http://www.foxsports.com.au/basketball/andrew-bogut-urges-nba-to-focus-on-playing-a-game-in-australia/story-e6frf3f3-1227707682096

Seems logical for the future, whether it be preseason or a couple of regular season games like the london trip. You can pretty much lock in a game in Melbourne and Sydney as a sell out. Melbourne government have shown they are willing to pay big money to bring out sporting events in the past too so the cash incentive would be there.

Apparently we have the highest amount of international league pass subs too, with Thon and Simmons heading to the NBA we have a bunch of players there now, we've had MLB games and soccer teams seem to be coming out here every year now to big crowds (and soccer isn't a big sport here). We also have some stadiums that can seat ~50000 which is bigger than 02 arena or any NBA teams I believe.

Anyone think this will happen soon?

Asukal
01-14-2016, 07:05 PM
Maybe when air travel time is cut down by 75%. :confusedshrug:

4 Inches
01-14-2016, 07:05 PM
Phuck Australia except for my boy plowking

warriorfan
01-14-2016, 07:06 PM
no offense to australia but it just doesn't work logistically to ever have an NBA team there permanently

they should still have a game in australia to promote the game overseas though, there are lots of australian fans and revenue to be gotten

Black and White
01-14-2016, 07:06 PM
Would def fly over to watch.

outbreak
01-14-2016, 07:14 PM
no offense to australia but it just doesn't work logistically to ever have an NBA team there permanently

they should still have a game in australia to promote the game overseas though, there are lots of australian fans and revenue to be gotten

no one is talking permanently, flight times would kill that idea. But a regular season trip of a couple of games would be doable or even just a few pre season exhibition games like they do all over the world already.

MLB had their season opener here a few years back, played two games and got good crowds (we have zero baseball presence, much more basketball focused) so american leagues can do it if they want to.

JohnMax
01-14-2016, 07:17 PM
Popularity of certain Superstars would get exposed in foreign countries.

http://forums.lakersground.net/togo/thread.php?topic_id=71843

Kobe Bryant is the most popular player here (China), maybe the most popular athlete at the Olympics. The crowd was chanting his name, "Kobe, Kobe," and the volunteers who were supposed to be guiding us were trying to get autographs. It is so out of control with Kobe that LeBron James cracked, "I thought I was famous until I got here with Kobe." Kobe is big here in China.

outbreak
01-14-2016, 07:23 PM
Popularity of certain Superstars would get exposed in foreign countries.
Kobe will be retired and if the NBA does an over seas game in Australia i bet they'd pick non contending/smaller market teams that can use the financial incentive without worrying so much about the travel.

Marv_Albert
01-14-2016, 07:42 PM
http://www.foxsports.com.au/basketball/andrew-bogut-urges-nba-to-focus-on-playing-a-game-in-australia/story-e6frf3f3-1227707682096

Seems logical for the future, whether it be preseason or a couple of regular season games like the london trip. You can pretty much lock in a game in Melbourne and Sydney as a sell out. Melbourne government have shown they are willing to pay big money to bring out sporting events in the past too so the cash incentive would be there.

Apparently we have the highest amount of international league pass subs too, with Thon and Simmons heading to the NBA we have a bunch of players there now, we've had MLB games and soccer teams seem to be coming out here every year now to big crowds (and soccer isn't a big sport here). We also have some stadiums that can seat ~50000 which is bigger than 02 arena or any NBA teams I believe.

Anyone think this will happen soon?

He has a point. How many Australian players in the league compared to dudes from england?

Spurs m8
01-14-2016, 08:14 PM
I ****ing wish aye

Melbourne would sell out in a minute.

This will eventually happen I think....eventually.

Marv_Albert
01-14-2016, 08:22 PM
I ****ing wish aye

Us New Zealanders would come over by the flocks also

outbreak
01-14-2016, 08:51 PM
I ****ing wish aye

ticketek would crash as soon as the tickets are available. That site crashes and sells out instantly whenever anything big is coming to Melbourne. Melbourne doesn't even need a good event on to sell it out they will turn up for anything to do with sports lol

JimmyMcAdocious
01-14-2016, 08:53 PM
Where does basketball rank there in popularity? Behind what sports?

outbreak
01-14-2016, 08:55 PM

Sure I'll forget something but probably like

AFL (australian football)
Cricket
Rugby
Basketball/Tennis/Soccer/Racing

Our local basketball league isn't heavily supported though. It had a boom in the 90s then dropped off. Australians turn up for sports though, we just had just under 100,000 people turn up to a Real Madrid match they held here. Could pretty much guarantee Melbourne and Sydney would sell out for an NBA game even if only a pre season/exhibition match. MLB got something like mid 30,000 when they played here and there's barely any baseball presence here.

It's heavily played by kids though too, even though no one watches the NBL (our local league) the junior teams and club competitions go pretty strong and besides AFL/cricket it's as heavily played as anything i imagine.

JohnFreeman
01-14-2016, 08:56 PM
It's probably the most popular behind Australian sports like AFL

But Australia has the most international NBA pass subscriptions.

Spurs m8
01-14-2016, 08:59 PM
Sure I'll forget something but probably like

AFL (australian football)
Cricket
Rugby
Basketball/Tennis/Soccer/Racing

Our local basketball league isn't heavily supported though. It had a boom in the 90s then dropped off. Australians turn up for sports though, we just had just under 100,000 people turn up to a Real Madrid match they held here. Could pretty much guarantee Melbourne and Sydney would sell out for an NBA game even if only a pre season/exhibition match.

Yeah this....it was sick in the 90s, maybe because I was a kid, I can't really get into it now.

Had 80k for a domestic cricket match a couple of weeks ago.

We love sport in this city haha

Smoke117
01-14-2016, 09:02 PM

...you're a dimwit. Who the hell is talking about putting a team in australia?

outbreak
01-14-2016, 09:02 PM
Yeah this....it was sick in the 90s, maybe because I was a kid, I can't really get into it now.

Had 80k for a domestic cricket match a couple of weeks ago.

We love sport in this city haha

Yeah the home derby was a sell out. I've been going to one big bash game a year for i think 4 years now, every year it just goes up and up in attendance. It's crazy to contrast it to the 50 overs comp and the shield, I've been to those at the MCG and they open one gate and there's ~200 people there. It's surreal watching sports in such a huge arena that's empty, you hear everything any one says.

We used to go to the melbourne magic games back in the day, I still have a bunch of signed posters/hats and shit from the meet the players nights they used to do after games. Was a good show back then but the cost of the large arenas just wasn't sustainable and then the quality dropped and now the teams in larger cities with other sports struggle to stay a float.

BigMacAttack
01-14-2016, 09:07 PM
NBA gams here would sell out really fast. Our own domestic league is not popular but the NBA is. Baseball is basically non-existent out here but the MLB did very well when they came out.

Spurs m8
01-14-2016, 09:12 PM
Yeah the home derby was a sell out. I've been going to one big bash game a year for i think 4 years now, every year it just goes up and up in attendance. It's crazy to contrast it to the 50 overs comp and the shield, I've been to those at the MCG and they open one gate and there's ~200 people there. It's surreal watching sports in such a huge arena that's empty, you hear everything any one says.

We used to go to the melbourne magic games back in the day, I still have a bunch of signed posters/hats and shit from the meet the players nights they used to do after games. Was a good show back then but the cost of the large arenas just wasn't sustainable and then the quality dropped and now the teams in larger cities with other sports struggle to stay a float.

Sam McKinnon on a fast break!!
Didn't get much better hahha

I'm a renegades member so I'm all over the Big Bash, its a good time hey.
Awesome to see the rise in popularity each season, such good vibes and shit Xmas and Jan.
Used to watch the Bushrangers too.

Its a shame bball died out but it was only sustainable for so long.
Always a very popular sport to play through out the city, NBL just lacks the interest.

Marv_Albert
01-14-2016, 09:34 PM

Awesome to see the rise in popularity each season, such good vibes and shit Xmas and Jan.

Always a very popular sport to play through out the city, NBL just lacks the interest.

I thought the NBL is having its highest ratings ever and more noticed, alot of people watching it, huge here in NZ for our breakers. Melbourne UTD are a decent team and now with the ex nba stars coming only going to get better, hakim warrick playing well for melbourne

sportjames23
01-14-2016, 09:48 PM
Unless someone comes up with teleportation technology, it ain't logistically feasible.

outbreak

I'm on the stars but I follow the big bash more for players than teams (I still don't have a strong loyalty like I do with the bushrangers). We aren't members but on the MCC waiting list you get access to big bash tickets. The wait list to be a full member is something like 45 years now :roll:

Mckinnon and Anstey :rockon: I've got a signed mckinnon hat somewhere from when I was a kid.

f0und
from a fan perspective, it makes sense. there seems to be a bigger nba following in aus than in europe. i say, why the *uck not.

outbreak
01-14-2016, 09:49 PM
I thought the NBL is having its highest ratings ever and more noticed, alot of people watching it, huge here in NZ for our breakers. Melbourne UTD are a decent team and now with the ex nba stars coming only going to get better, hakim warrick playing well for melbourne

Andrew Gaze was calling for this year's NBL to be cancelled completely so they could restructure the finances, he thinks more teams will be going bankrupt. I think the smaller city teams are fine but the teams in areas where they have AFL sides struggle. I imagine tv viewing would be going up, the actually advertise and put it on now whereas in the past there was zero ads or coverage.

outbreak
01-14-2016, 09:51 PM
Unless someone comes up with teleportation technology, it ain't logistically feasible.
Orlando is taking over a week to go to london for one game aren't they? They could fly down and play two games in just over a week. The MLB did it fine. Either that or like has been mentioned it can be pre season. Melbourne to Sydney is just over an hours flight. Could do a back to back if needed with that flight time. 20 hours down here from america, two days off, back to back game, 20 hour flight back and another two days off. it's not that different to the london trip if you factor in two games.

MMM
01-14-2016, 10:10 PM
Other countries I would like to see host regular games
Argentina
Australia
Brazil
China
Italy
Turkey

Will never happen but would be cool to see a game in the Philippines

plowking
01-14-2016, 10:23 PM
Australia always gets forgotten in the grand scheme of things. We're so out of the way it makes it hard for it to be viable financially.
NBA goes to Europe? You can do a whole bunch of stuff there. Branch out to more countries, and hit a way bigger market and population.

Hopefully once Simmons becomes a star in the league then things will happen. Rooting for Exum too, but I don't expect much. Was overrated at the draft, and will be even worse now with his ACL injury once he comes back. Hope he proves me wrong.

G-train
01-15-2016, 12:53 AM

Yes that's correct.

Andrew Gaze was calling for this year's NBL to be cancelled completely so they could restructure the finances, he thinks more teams will be going bankrupt. I think the smaller city teams are fine but the teams in areas where they have AFL sides struggle. I imagine tv viewing would be going up, the actually advertise and put it on now whereas in the past there was zero ads or coverage.

Gazey needs to hold an L on that one

G-train
01-15-2016, 12:54 AM
It's probably the most popular behind Australian sports like AFL

But Australia has the most international NBA pass subscriptions.

Bball has good participation rates, but it cant hold a candle to Cricket or NRL or probably even soccer in terms of popularity.

Spurs m8
01-15-2016, 01:00 AM
Gazey is just an old kunt these days hahah

Anyone see that Bounce show on Fox Footy?

Yeah....

Good to see some fellow Melbournians here!

SpaceJam
01-15-2016, 01:34 AM
Melbourne the sporting capital of the WORLD :bowdown: :bowdown:

outbreak
01-15-2016, 05:31 AM
Melbourne the sporting capital of the WORLD :bowdown: :bowdown:
http://cdn.scahw.com.au/cdn-1ced9b958569710/imagevaultfiles/id_198248/cf_7/shane-warne-628.jpg

Most livable city in the world, birthplace of the great shane!

Honestly bron should give warnie or kallis or bollinger a call and get the number of advance hair. Always looks full unlike brons come and go hair line

warriorfan
01-15-2016, 05:36 AM
is that ice in his b eer?

what the **** is going on with that

outbreak
01-15-2016, 05:56 AM
is that ice in his b eer?

what the **** is going on with that
The king of spin knows more about alcohol, baked beans and sexting than you will ever know. If he wants ice he gets ice

SpaceJam
01-15-2016, 06:22 AM
The king of spin knows more about alcohol, baked beans and sexting than you will ever know. If he wants ice he gets ice

:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

bigt
01-15-2016, 07:27 AM
I think they should get a couple of teams to come down a play a preseason game in Melbourne and Sydney - I get the logistics of a regular season game is asking a lot but attendance wise they'd have no reason to be concerned. Melbourne always gets hyped for a special attraction sporting event, and people from around the country would make the trip for a legitimate game (I know I'd travel over to a game or two) It'd be wise for some of the smaller teams to decide to go too, it'd be a good way to score new fans - Aussies tend to appreciate the teams that make the effort, if someone like Minny came down and had guys like Rubio/Lavine/Wiggins putting on some highlight plays the Timberwolves would find themselves getting a lot of new supporters.

Spurs m8
01-15-2016, 07:47 AM
I'd happily watch Philly play Brooklyn tbh