PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Wiggins

scm5
01-05-2016, 06:32 PM
I've seen so many posts writing this kid off, even calling him a bust. I'm going to dispel that.

In terms of production, I wouldn't worry just yet. Carmelo Anthony came into the league as a complete offensive player yet he still had his struggles before become one of the best offensive players in the league.

At 20 years old and in his second season (same as Wiggins), Melo put up these stats: 20.8ppg 43%FG 26.6%3FG% 7.6 FTA/gm

Look familiar?

How many of you were writing Melo off on his second season in the NBA?

The most common comparison I see for Wiggins is Rudy Gay, some even putting Wiggins' ceiling at Gay's level. Gay is actually an efficient scorer with a deadly mid-range game. However, that's also Gay's downfall. He makes really hard mid-range shots, but he does it without trying to draw contact. Gay in his best season, only averaged 5.8 FTA's per game. Wiggins averaged 5.7 during his rookie season and is averaging 7.5 this season. Keep in mind that Wiggins' best quality is his athleticism and he's playing with grown men. Once he grows into his athleticism and develops the strength to go along with it, he's going to be a monster. He looks absolutely effortless moving out there.

A similar example of players that never panned out is Michael Beasley. We all saw how much talent the dude had. His best season even came in Minny where he averaged 19ppg, but he still only got to the line 4.0FTA (the most in his career) that season.

The funny thing about Wiggins is that he actually shies away from contact. He's still a scrawny kid by NBA standards and gets bumped easily. When he drives, he rarely finishes strong and usually tries to finesse his finish. This will probably change once he inevitably gets stronger. He gets to the hoop almost effortlessly, but its his finishing that's holding him to low FG%.

Andrew Wiggins has perhaps one of the most deadly spin moves in the game. He does it so effortlessly and moves so fluidly during the spin move that he can travel great distances with it. He draws a ton of his fouls this way.

Even if Wiggins never develops a decent jump shot, you can be sure he'll start finishing stronger once he puts some muscle on. He already gets 32.3% of his FGA's 0-3 ft from the basket which beats out Kobe's best season and higher than Lebron got in his first two seasons in the NBA, he just needs to start finishing stronger around the basket.

Wiggins also gets around 50% of his shots within 10 ft of the basket which is higher than Lebron averaged for most of his career. In fact, Lebron only put up a higher % of shots within 10 feet once he started playing more PF.

You can be sure that all things considered, at the bare minimum, he'll be putting up 25ppg on over 45% FG once he fills out.

Horatio33
01-05-2016, 06:39 PM
Tl;Dr

sd3035
01-05-2016, 06:45 PM
I've seen so many posts writing this kid off, even calling him a bust. I'm going to dispel that.

In terms of production, I wouldn't worry just yet. Carmelo Anthony came into the league as a complete offensive player yet he still had his struggles before become one of the best offensive players in the league.

At 20 years old and in his second season (same as Wiggins), Melo put up these stats: 20.8ppg 43%FG 26.6%3FG% 7.6 FTA/gm

Look familiar?

How many of you were writing Melo off on his second season in the NBA?

The most common comparison I see for Wiggins is Rudy Gay, some even putting Wiggins' ceiling at Gay's level. Gay is actually an efficient scorer with a deadly mid-range game. However, that's also Gay's downfall. He makes really hard mid-range shots, but he does it without trying to draw contact. Gay in his best season, only averaged 5.8 FTA's per game. Wiggins averaged 5.7 during his rookie season and is averaging 7.5 this season. Keep in mind that Wiggins' best quality is his athleticism and he's playing with grown men. Once he grows into his athleticism and develops the strength to go along with it, he's going to be a monster. He looks absolutely effortless moving out there.

A similar example of players that never panned out is Michael Beasley. We all saw how much talent the dude had. His best season even came in Minny where he averaged 19ppg, but he still only got to the line 4.0FTA (the most in his career) that season.

The funny thing about Wiggins is that he actually shies away from contact. He's still a scrawny kid by NBA standards and gets bumped easily. When he drives, he rarely finishes strong and usually tries to finesse his finish. This will probably change once he inevitably gets stronger. He gets to the hoop almost effortlessly, but its his finishing that's holding him to low FG%.

Andrew Wiggins has perhaps one of the most deadly spin moves in the game. He does it so effortlessly and moves so fluidly during the spin move that he can travel great distances with it. He draws a ton of his fouls this way.

Even if Wiggins never develops a decent jump shot, you can be sure he'll start finishing stronger once he puts some muscle on. He already gets 32.3% of his FGA's 0-3 ft from the basket which beats out Kobe's best season and higher than Lebron got in his first two seasons in the NBA, he just needs to start finishing stronger around the basket.

Wiggins also gets around 50% of his shots within 10 ft of the basket which is higher than Lebron averaged for most of his career. In fact, Lebron only put up a higher % of shots within 10 feet once he started playing more PF.

You can be sure that all things considered, at the bare minimum, he'll be putting up 25ppg on over 45% FG once he fills out.

So you're saying he has no jump shot, even worse than Lebron, but he is also a weak finisher?

He has some work to do

Levity
01-05-2016, 06:46 PM
the ones calling him a bust are agenda-ridden posters. most other people dont give a shit how he turns out

Milbuck
01-05-2016, 06:49 PM
I don't think anyone seriously thinks he's a bust, just that he's not the next Lebron, Kobe, Durant, Curry type face of the league. He's going to be a terrific pure scorer and hopefully great defender (he's awful right now but has the tools to be great) but he just doesn't have the natural ball handling, court vision, instincts or aggressiveness/drive to be able to dominate a game in multiple ways or elevate everyone around him.

He can heat up as a scorer and do it that way but outside of that there is not one single aspect of the game outside of that where he excels, dude is incredibly one dimensional right now. He has some tools that are really nice...his post game, his insane athleticism, his jumper should be good down the road...but his ability to create off the dribble, see the court as a playmaker, and stay constantly engaged is severely lacking.

Smoke117
01-05-2016, 07:03 PM
...who exactly was calling him a bust? You are going on about imaginings that have never even taken place.

TripleA
01-05-2016, 07:30 PM
I think he can become a Melo level player.

HylianNightmare
01-05-2016, 07:34 PM
Whose calling him a bust. He looks good to me

ihatetimthomas
01-05-2016, 07:46 PM
I don't see him as bust yet but don't see the comparison with Melo. When Melo came in the league, you knew he was going to be a top offensive player given his skillset. Wiggins doesn't have the natural offensive ability Melo has. Stats may be similar but off my eye test, don't see him becoming as polished offensively as Melo did.

Ass Dan
01-05-2016, 08:12 PM
People on this board call a 20 y.o. in his second year averaging MORE THAN 20ppg a bust?

Oh ISH you never disappoint.

He has a nice shot, he will get better.

Look at the jump he has made this year with slightly better teammates, while playing a ton of minutes last year and playing all summer.

Kid will be perennial all star.

raprap
01-05-2016, 08:51 PM
i think he's going to be a 25ppg type of player once he improves his handles.

PleezeBelieve
01-05-2016, 10:41 PM
He is certainly a bust relative to his hype.

And the stats you posted are bullshit. He gets gift calls and the league has already started to adjust to his spin move.

The kid started the season gunning and making some shots, but he's trending downward by the month.

He's a role player. Deal with it

plowking
01-05-2016, 10:45 PM
He is certainly a bust relative to his hype.

And the stats you posted are bullshit. He gets gift calls and the league has already started to adjust to his spin move.

The kid started the season gunning and making some shots, but he's trending downward by the month.

He's a role player. Deal with it

21ppg and 20 years old... A bust?

Right.

PleezeBelieve
01-05-2016, 11:18 PM
21ppg and 20 years old... A bust?

Right.
You again lol

Go sit down somewhere

FrobeShaw
01-05-2016, 11:50 PM
dion waiters

CarlosBoozer
01-06-2016, 12:19 AM
Good scorer but he won't be a superstar unless he develops his playmaking and rebounding.

yeaaaman
01-06-2016, 12:54 AM
...who exactly was calling him a bust? You are going on about imaginings that have never even taken place.

I'm pretty sure I've seen plenty of posts and threads calling him a bust and I don't even come on here all that often anymore.

Rocketswin2013
01-06-2016, 03:59 AM
him being a shit defender is scary at this stage considering what he brings. he should at least do that on an average level.

I've never been high on him but he can get a lot better. KAT is clearly the guy for years to come though. I like the fact that I saw KATs potential way before people even wanted to put him in the top in his HS recruit class. :oldlol: He's just not as big as I thought and his passing game hasn't emerged the way I expected.

Lebron23
01-06-2016, 04:14 AM
He's only going to to turn 21 yrs.old next month. I think his ceiling is a better Paul George.

Although George is taller and lengthier than him.

JtotheIzzo
01-07-2016, 04:00 AM
He's averaging twenty plus points per game. Up from last year markedly and he is doing a lot of things in key situations.

He needs to improve his production (reb, assists) but that will come. He is hardly a shit defender, the team as a whole is pretty shit on D but Wiggins can lock up his opponent one on one. With better team defense he will elevate to the stopper role.

Most young players his the 'rookie wall', Wiggins didn't he played a ton of minutes last year and he played most of the summer. I think he is tired.