View Full Version : Top 2 point guard in the NBA right now

keep-itreal
09-20-2015, 08:52 AM
1. Stephen Curry
2. Kyrie Irving

rite guys?

Real Men Wear Green
09-20-2015, 08:56 AM
Westbrook is over Irving, especially since Irving is coming back from an injury.

r15mohd
09-20-2015, 09:41 AM
Curry
WBrook
CP3

are all better than KI, IMO...Lillard and Wall are the same level with him, as well.

sd3035
09-20-2015, 10:00 AM
There are only three tier one point guards currently

Curry, Westbrook, and Irving

The drop off is huge after those three

Legends66NBA7
09-20-2015, 10:50 AM
Curry
WBrook
CP3

are all better than KI, IMO...Lillard and Wall are the same level with him, as well.

This.

4 Inches
09-20-2015, 10:58 AM
CP3 is still the big dick daddy of PGS in the NBA.

Pushxx
09-20-2015, 11:11 AM
Curry
Westbrook
CP3
Irving
Wall

Easy top 5.

robby712
09-20-2015, 11:17 AM
If we're talking the true definition of a PG, then CP3 is clear above any other PG in the game. But because this is not the discussion we're having the top 5 would be:

1) CP3
2) Curry
3) Westbrook
4) Wall
5) Irving ->Would be higher if he improves defensively.

HylianNightmare
09-20-2015, 02:33 PM
West brook
Curry
Cp3
Irving

inclinerator
09-20-2015, 03:14 PM
cp3 is better than curry, curry is around westbrooks level

Bankaii
09-20-2015, 04:26 PM
1) CP3
2) Westbrook
3) Curry
4) Wall/Irving

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
09-20-2015, 04:36 PM
CP3
Westbrook

Legends66NBA7
09-20-2015, 04:42 PM
Tier 1

Curry
Paul
Westbrook

Tier 2

Lillard
Wall
Irving
Conley

Tier 3

Dragic
Bledsoe
Lawson
Teague

chips93
09-20-2015, 04:48 PM
Curry
WBrook
CP3

this

lillard is slipping down below kyrie and wall though, he needs to have a good season

inclinerator
09-20-2015, 05:37 PM
1. christian thompson

2. wind defenders

Legends66NBA7
09-20-2015, 05:42 PM
this

lillard is slipping down below kyrie and wall though, he needs to have a good season

I think he will and the Blazers won't be as bad as projected.

red1
09-20-2015, 05:46 PM
westbrook
curry
paul

dannywpt
09-20-2015, 05:56 PM
Top 2 point guards in the NBA right now?

Westbrook & Curry, easily.

warriorfan
09-20-2015, 06:47 PM
Cp3 over Curry?

:lol

D. Toretto
09-20-2015, 06:58 PM
Curry & Westbrook. Third place would go to CP3.

dhsilv
09-20-2015, 07:09 PM
What is the argument for Irving even being in the discussion?

I think Westbrook and Curry moved just a hair above Chris Paul, but only by a hair. Chris Paul had another all time great level point guard season, Westbrook and Curry just imo were a bit better. I think Lillard has established himself a clear 4th adn then you can argue Wall and Irving.

VORP

Stephen Curry 7.9
Russell Westbrook 7.6
Chris Paul 6.9
Damian Lillard 5.2
John Wall 3.9
Kyrie Irving 3.7

Winshare

Chris Paul 16.1
Stephen Curry 15.7
Russell Westbrook 10.6
Damian Lillard 10.6
Kyrie Irving 10.4
John Wall 7.8

WayOfWade
09-20-2015, 07:48 PM
Curry is #1 right now. He's the League MVP, won a title (and 67 games along the way), is arguably the best shooter ever to live, has handles than even Allen Iverson says are better than his, is a supreme passer, along with another myriad of reasons.
#2 I'd give to CP3. I give this to him over Westbrook because unlike Westbrook, CP3's game leads to W's (see 2011 Hornets vs 2015 Thunder). Don't get me wrong Westbrook is incredible, but CP3 is just better.

chips93
09-20-2015, 07:49 PM
What is the argument for Irving even being in the discussion?

he's the best iso scorer at the position, he's efficient, and one of the best shooters while still being a decent passer.

and fwiw, according to win shares deandre jordan was the 5th best player in the league last year

ralph_i_el
09-20-2015, 08:01 PM
Curry
CP3

24-Inch_Chrome
09-20-2015, 08:04 PM
There are only three tier one point guards currently

Curry, Westbrook, and Irving

The drop off is huge after those three

Wrong. Curry, Westbrook, Chris Paul. Irving is tier 2.

bobopenguin
09-20-2015, 08:48 PM
all wrong.

cp3 is at his own tier.

then curry/WB.

we all saw what happened at final. CP3 killed spur.

dhsilv
09-20-2015, 09:32 PM
he's the best iso scorer at the position, he's efficient, and one of the best shooters while still being a decent passer.

and fwiw, according to win shares deandre jordan was the 5th best player in the league last year

If I were to write down a list of the skills needed to be the perfect nba point guard, I might just say "see Kyrie". That however doesn't make him in the discussion for top 2 based on results.

Oh and I posted 3 sets of stats to point out where Kyrie is among the top point guards, not just winshare. We can agree WS might over value Jordan just a little :)

Smoke117
09-20-2015, 10:08 PM
..sigh, Chris Paul will never stop being underrated. He is pretty easily the best passing pg in the league and the best defensive star pg while being one of the best scorers...but all he gets from you clowns is derision. It's really sad how few people here actually know basketball.

DavisIsMyUniBro
09-20-2015, 10:18 PM
People need to stop underrating Curry because of that Warrior fan BS.
realistically, he is, bar none, the best shooter of all time.
The warriors offense went from being at an ATG level with him on teh floor
(116 ORTG) to below average off the floor
(102 ORTG)
(And yes, I know CP3 had a bigger on-off rating, but take into account that the clippers bench were the worst in the nba... while the warriors had a pretty solid bench overall)

obviously, portability puts Curry ahead after this. he is an underrated passer, and and underrated defender (not in the realm of CP3 though).

chips93
09-20-2015, 10:23 PM
obviously, portability puts Curry ahead after this. he is an underrated passer, and and underrated defender (not in the realm of CP3 though).

What?

Young X
09-20-2015, 10:27 PM
..sigh, Chris Paul will never stop being underrated. He is pretty easily the best passing pg in the league and the best defensive star pg while being one of the best scorers...but all he gets from you clowns is derision. It's really sad how few people here actually know basketball.Real shit.

One of the best defenders at his position (top isolation defender in terms of pts allowed + led the league in steals 6 times).
Best distributor in the league (led the league in assists and AST/TO ratio past 2 seasons).
Still can score 19/20 a night on great shooting.
Ran the #1 offense 2 years in a row.

He's more or less doing what Nash did in the mid 00's with better defense. Until he declines or another PG plays at his level on both ends or clearly eclipses his offensive impact he's the best in my book. I don't care if he doesn't have a ring or never been to the finals.

DavisIsMyUniBro
09-20-2015, 10:27 PM
portability.
basically, Curry with thrive in pretty much ANY system other than w hen there was no 3 point line. Im not so sure Paul can if he is in the wrong team, if that makes sense. that being said, I rate peak cp3 ahead of Curry.

Basically, think of the Kobe and Lebron debate. think about the teams that Kobe thrives in, and the teams that Lebron thrives in.

Lebron will thrive in almost any team you put him in.
Kobe? I love him to death, but like, put him in the 09 Cavs and they dont make the playoffs.

KG215
09-20-2015, 10:35 PM
because unlike Westbrook, CP3's game leads to W's (see 2011 Hornets vs 2015 Thunder). Don't get me wrong Westbrook is incredible, but CP3 is just better.
The Thunder were 40-26 with Westbrook in the lineup last season. That's a .606 win% which would've been good enough to make the playoffs over the course of the entire season. And they were winning at a much better after Durant came back for awhile and hobbled around on one foot and Ibaka was still healthy. But when both Durant and Ibaka went down for good the last 1.5-2 months of the season, OKC started understandably losing more.

I mean Durant missed 55 games, Ibaka missed 18, Roberson missed 15, and Collison missed 16. They were dealing with players in and out of the lineup all season, sometimes just for a few days and other times for a few weeks or, as in Durant's and Ibaka's case, for a month or more. Not to mention you had some major personnel turnover with the Waiters trade then the Kanter/Augustin/Singler trade later in the season. So it wasn't just Westbrook having to deal with a constant, steady stream of injuries, he also had to deal with some pretty serious roster turnover throughout the season.

Oh, and the 2011 Hornets went 46-36 which was good enough for a winning percentage of .561. As I said earlier in the post, the Thunder were 40-26 with Westbrook in the lineup last season which is a winning percentage of .606. The West was just tougher this season than it was in 2011.

Vaniiiia
09-20-2015, 10:39 PM
The Thunder were 40-26 with Westbrook in the lineup last season. That's a .606 win% which would've been good enough to make the playoffs over the course of the entire season. And they were winning at a much better after Durant came back for awhile and hobbled around on one foot and Ibaka was still healthy. But when both Durant and Ibaka went down for good the last 1.5-2 months of the season, OKC started understandably losing more.

I mean Durant missed 55 games, Ibaka missed 18, Roberson missed 15, and Collison missed 16. They were dealing with players in and out of the lineup all season, sometimes just for a few days and other times for a few weeks or, as in Durant's and Ibaka's case, for a month or more. Not to mention you had some major personnel turnover with the Waiters trade then the Kanter/Augustin/Singler trade later in the season. So it wasn't just Westbrook having to deal with a constant, steady stream of injuries, he also had to deal with some pretty serious roster turnover throughout the season.

Oh, and the 2011 Hornets went 46-36 which was good enough for a winning percentage of .561. As I said earlier in the post, the Thunder were 40-26 with Westbrook in the lineup last season which is a winning percentage of .606. The West was just tougher this season than it was in 2011.
Good post.

People often don't understand that Westbrook, by virtue of being bigger, stronger, faster, bigger dick, better stamina, and more competitive drive has a higher ceiling on the basketball court. We've seen Russell reach levels of play in the PLAYOFFS that Chris Paul hasn't and won't ever reach.

Is it true Paul is a better decision maker? Yeah.... Maybe has a better understanding of the game, ok. Better passer for sure. But in terms of impact on the basketball court Westbrook has reached higher levels. Period. Again... when you're one of the most athletic players in league history with an unlimited motor it's not a knock on Paul to be worse than that.

bobopenguin
09-20-2015, 11:47 PM
Good post.

People often don't understand that Westbrook, by virtue of being bigger, stronger, faster, bigger dick, better stamina, and more competitive drive has a higher ceiling on the basketball court. We've seen Russell reach levels of play in the PLAYOFFS that Chris Paul hasn't and won't ever reach.

Is it true Paul is a better decision maker? Yeah.... Maybe has a better understanding of the game, ok. Better passer for sure. But in terms of impact on the basketball court Westbrook has reached higher levels. Period. Again... when you're one of the most athletic players in league history with an unlimited motor it's not a knock on Paul to be worse than that.

only thing wb clearly better than cp3 is wb has goat fashion sense.

cp3 is a floor general, curry/wb is just a knight captain, that's the gap different.

cp3 runs entire offense, he is the heart and brain and core of the entire team.

curry and wb are the no.1 fire power provider, if they are cold, u have others stepping up.

Legends66NBA7
09-21-2015, 12:00 AM
cp3 runs entire offense, he is the heart and brain and core of the entire team.

curry and wb are the no.1 fire power provider, if they are cold, u have others stepping up.

Pretty sure Griffin and DeAndre stepped up in the past when Paul had been out, along with their bench unit.

He's had a perinnel all-star/all-nba player, best rebounding C, 6th man, and shooters at the wing for 3-4 years+ now. The only thing the Clippers have really lacked is a 3&D SF. But let's not act like Paul has scraps to work with. He has teammates that can step up too.

Spaulding
09-21-2015, 12:05 AM
Cp3
Curry
Westbrook
Irving
Conly
Wall/Lillard/Rondo

chips93
09-21-2015, 12:39 AM
Cp3
Curry
Westbrook
Irving
Conly
Wall/Lillard/Rondo

i thought everybody had given up on rondo by now

ralph_i_el
09-21-2015, 12:48 AM
Good post.

Yes, but sometimes Westbrook's motor gets him in trouble.

Westbrook overpowers teams, you're right....but CP3 will strangle you. I've seen him play literally perfect games of basketball on the mental level. Seriously, making great decisions every time he touches the ball. Russ can be hard to watch imo.

ralph_i_el
09-21-2015, 12:50 AM
Pretty sure Griffin and DeAndre stepped up in the past when Paul had been out, along with their bench unit.

He's had a perinnel all-star/all-nba player, best rebounding C, 6th man, and shooters at the wing for 3-4 years+ now. The only thing the Clippers have really lacked is a 3&D SF. But let's not act like Paul has scraps to work with. He has teammates that can step up too.

The Clippers problem was their bench. Their starters were dominant.

BasedTom
09-21-2015, 01:13 AM
LOL

kyrie is shit. absolute rubbish

DaOldLion
09-21-2015, 01:26 AM
Curry
Westbrook

plowking
09-21-2015, 01:29 AM
When in hell did Kyrie become a better player than Wall?

No shot in hell is he at Wall's level.

red1
09-21-2015, 01:43 AM
Westbrook is number one. I know curry won the mvp and also know that paul is still a beast. Still not as good as Russ doe.

ClipperRevival
09-21-2015, 01:50 AM
Kyrie's time is coming. Already has established himself as one of the best finishers ever. We saw what he's capable of when he has it going last year. And he was really impactful in the finals on both ends before the injury. I see him having some dominant and memorable playoff games in the future. The guy is definitely a special talent.