PDA

View Full Version : All the TMac Comparisons

Noyze
09-12-2015, 12:26 PM
Often people only look at 2 or 3 things and then give up when they compare players. With Tmac any athletic 6'8" wing with length is compared to him. But what makes McGrady unique was his ball handling as there are so many guys his size who can't handle the rock that well. Paul George was a legit comparison, alot of the others don't play anything like Tracy McGrady did. There's a difference between who they play like and who you hope they play like.

ShawkFactory
09-12-2015, 12:42 PM
I don't think we'll see another TMac for quite a while. Stupid skills for a 6-8/6-9 and long guy.

red1
09-12-2015, 12:56 PM
Tmac is underrated. He was an absolute beast. None of these comparisons have come close.

dannywpt
09-12-2015, 01:24 PM
KD/PG/Wiggins are the closest today. Skilled, long wings.

Dragonyeuw
09-12-2015, 04:54 PM
George is probably the closest visual comparison, but Tmac was on a higher tier in terms of overall scoring talent.

Timmy D for MVP
09-12-2015, 05:12 PM
TMac is like Lebron or Shaq.

By that I mean from a physical tools stand point we won't likely see anyone like that for some time. He had all the tools, he was a born basketball specimen.

But from a pure playing standpoint PG is a pretty good comparison. I think people just go for the low hanging fruit and see a long athletic wing who can shoot and just equate it to TMac. When in reality his game was more versatile than many he gets compared to.

Clifton
09-12-2015, 05:16 PM
I don't know about Paul George. He can't handle the ball anywhere near Tmac. Tmac dribbled and passed like a PG. Paul George dribbles and passes like... a SF.

Kevin Durant is a pretty good comparison though. But he's also about as good as Tmac was overall. Not quite the passer, but a better shooter. And even more freakish because Durant is 6'10 at least.

Clifton
09-12-2015, 05:20 PM
TMac is like Lebron or Shaq.

By that I mean from a physical tools stand point we won't likely see anyone like that for some time. He had all the tools, he was a born basketball specimen.
I don't know about that. A guy comes around every couple years with Tmac's physical tools.

During Tmac's prime there was Kobe, who handled and passed like Tmac, too, and was only a smidge less athletic. Right now we have Durant. There are also shorter players like Westbrook and Rose, and you could bring John Wall and Wiggins into the conversation.

Lebron and Shaq and Wilt are on a tier unto themselves. They don't just have ideal tools, they have physical characteristics that break the game wide open. They don't even have to shoot, they can just bull their way to the basket and score whenever they want. Tmac had to earn his points in more conventional ways.

Timmy D for MVP
09-12-2015, 05:27 PM
I don't know about that. A guy comes around every couple years with Tmac's physical tools.

During Tmac's prime there was Kobe, who handled and passed like Tmac, too, and was only a smidge less athletic. Right now we have Durant. There are also shorter players like Westbrook and Rose, and you could bring John Wall and Wiggins into the conversation.

Lebron and Shaq and Wilt are on a tier unto themselves. They don't just have ideal tools, they have physical characteristics that break the game wide open. They don't even have to shoot, they can just bull their way to the basket and score whenever they want. Tmac had to earn his points in more conventional ways.

I wholly disagree. Kobe was smaller and far less athletic in my opinion. Rose and Westbrook are both much smaller. Durant is taller but TMac, from a physical standpoint, could have been a more physical player. TMac should have been able to be the same match up problem that Lebron is, just to a lesser degree. He just didn't have it mentally, and then of course injuries killed him.

I think TMac is a case of people forgetting just how good he was, and just how much of a freak he was. IMO he is one of the few players post-MJ who had the raw physical tools to be better.

bizil
09-12-2015, 06:01 PM
Peak wise, I think T Mac is a top five SG of all time:

MJ
Kobe
T Mac
Wade
West

That's how BEAST T Mac was. Other than great defense, he had it ALL! He was very versatile with the skills to play PG, SG, and SF. His scoring skillset is also among the best of all time for perimeter players.

Paul George is somewhat similar, but he isn't as versatile on offense. And his scoring skillset isn't on TMac's level as of now. At his best, T Mac was like a combination of Penny Hardaway and George Gervin. From there, T Mac was bigger and more athletic.

Noyze
09-12-2015, 10:31 PM
See I just don't agree with the Wiggins comparison. He's a good player, but he can't dribble which means he wont be able to break down a defense or create for others the way TMac did.

LoneyROY7
09-12-2015, 10:33 PM
Durant's already been better than T-Mac ever was. Period.

FreezingTsmoove
09-12-2015, 10:49 PM
I don't think we'll see another TMac for quite a while. Stupid skills for a 6-8/6-9 and long guy.

Ben Simmons