PDA

View Full Version : More injuries now due to steroid use?

90sgoat
09-08-2015, 07:56 PM
It's well known that bodybuilders suffer more tears of ligaments in their body because as their muscle grows due to anabolics, their ligaments do not. You push your muscles beyond natural levels, but the ligaments, the stuff connecting bones with bone, can't be 'juiced'.

I have long wondered if all these ligament injuries are because players are too explosive for their body makeup. They play more explosive than their ligaments can handle.

Here's a study done on retired NFL players, saying that athletes who used steroids have MORE injuries:

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/news-blog/nfl-players-who-use-steroids-have-m-2009-02-20/
[QUOTE]
[B]Players who took the drugs suffered more disc herniations and injuries to their knees, elbows, necks, spines, feet, toes and ankles than those who didn

ProfessorMurder
09-08-2015, 08:21 PM
I honestly think the lightweight shoe movement with a lack of padding has something to do with it.

swagga
09-08-2015, 08:41 PM
It's well known that bodybuilders suffer more tears of ligaments in their body because as their muscle grows due to anabolics, their ligaments do not. You push your muscles beyond natural levels, but the ligaments, the stuff connecting bones with bone, can't be 'juiced'.

I have long wondered if all these ligament injuries are because players are too explosive for their body makeup. They play more explosive than their ligaments can handle.

Here's a study done on retired NFL players, saying that athletes who used steroids have MORE injuries:

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/news-blog/nfl-players-who-use-steroids-have-m-2009-02-20/

Seems my suspicion isn't unfounded. These guys roid like hell and get injured because they do.

sup 3ball.

MP.Trey
09-08-2015, 08:43 PM
JuiceBe

swagga
09-08-2015, 08:50 PM
I honestly think the lightweight shoe movement with a lack of padding has something to do with it.

addidas :lol

G-train
09-08-2015, 08:52 PM
newsflash: pro american athletes take drugs to increase their money/fame.
Best to just be ignorant and enjoy the show.

Hey Yo
09-08-2015, 08:54 PM
JuiceBe
Don't think it was mere coincidence that after his many trips to Germany to get illegal doping....his injuries followed shortly after.

DoctorP
09-08-2015, 09:00 PM
yes. next question.

90sgoat
09-08-2015, 09:04 PM
I dont have a problem with doping, but with these morons doing too much and getting injured.

My guess is that the best high schoolers already begin doing some stuff.

SwishSquared
09-08-2015, 09:52 PM
I honestly think the lightweight shoe movement with a lack of padding has something to do with it.I've thought that maybe this has something to do with it as well. This could be false, but I wonder if the heavier shoes of yesteryear had better shock absorption or something.

One thing I also wonder about is perhaps the current recovery methods are insufficient for the increased workload guys have nowadays. I do think people tend to play harder more consistently now, too, considering the various way we have now to isolate them if they slack on the court. Extra workload, more wear/tear-> injuries.

ralph_i_el
09-08-2015, 09:57 PM
Don't think it was mere coincidence that after his many trips to Germany to get illegal doping....his injuries followed shortly after.

He wasn't Germany getting steroids. He was in Germany getting enriched blood treatment to try and regenerate joint cartilage. It's an accepted medical practice in Europe, the FDA just hasn't approved it in the states.

I for one saw the regenerative effects on Kobe. The achilles was an entirely separate thing.

AnaheimLakers24
09-08-2015, 10:05 PM
Not enough milk

Real Men Wear Green
09-09-2015, 12:53 AM
Is there a study showing that players are getting injured at a higher rate than in the past? Genuine question here, no agenda.

I<3NBA
09-09-2015, 06:29 AM
Is there a study showing that players are getting injured at a higher rate than in the past? Genuine question here, no agenda.
No. but ISH should do it. easy enough to look it up, right?