PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Davis is at 253 pounds now.

Rocketswin2013
08-27-2015, 03:08 PM
http://www.nba.com/pelicans/news/anthony-davis-253-pounds-while-maintaining-athletic-frame
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CNbZVIMVAAAax4n.jpg
[QUOTE]

9erempiree
08-27-2015, 03:10 PM
Where is Anthony Davis gif where someone is trying to stick their finger in his ass.

That shit always brings a smile to my face.

r15mohd
08-27-2015, 03:12 PM
http://www.nba.com/pelicans/news/anthony-davis-253-pounds-while-maintaining-athletic-frame

Future GOAT candidate.

GOAT...dunno if he'll get that close, but he'll be great no doubt.

good on him and his trainer though...it's all about the work ethic and putting in the time, MJ Kobe Lebron and many more are testament to it, and it's payout.

Fallen Angel
08-27-2015, 03:13 PM
Time for him to spend some time with Hakeem. His body is ready for it now.

GIF REACTION
08-27-2015, 03:13 PM
Basketballers always squat the shittest weights

senelcoolidge
08-27-2015, 03:16 PM
is he on that south beach diet?

http://www.isteroids.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Designer-Anabolic-Steroids.jpg

Trollsmasher
08-27-2015, 03:21 PM

Future GOAT candidate.
chicken legs

will still get punished in the post

GIF REACTION
08-27-2015, 03:25 PM
These trainers are such idiots

I've barely if ever seen them make them squat anything more than 225

Too safe

Rocketswin2013
08-27-2015, 03:27 PM

Too safe
Well, strength training isn't the same as max lifting.

$LakerGold
08-27-2015, 03:31 PM
Knee injury incoming. Smile for the camera.

Rocketswin2013
08-27-2015, 03:32 PM
Knee injury incoming. Smile for the camera.
Nice.

GIF REACTION
08-27-2015, 03:33 PM
Well, strength training isn't the same as max lifting.
:facepalm

Did you seriously just say that?

HylianNightmare
08-27-2015, 03:36 PM
Wcf bound hopefully

GIF REACTION
08-27-2015, 03:38 PM
I assume tall basketballers don't squat because of the shit ass leverages

But I see no reason why they can't just go for an extremely wide stance to minimize the bad leverages mainly being a long ass femur bone

QuebecBaller
08-27-2015, 03:51 PM

Too safe

Maybe because they don't train for strength but for more explosiveness (by doing speed squat and jump squat)

GIF REACTION
08-27-2015, 03:54 PM
Maybe because they don't train for strength but for more explosiveness (by doing speed squat and jump squat)
You don't understand explosiveness do you?

It's power. Strength x speed. The stronger you are the more potential you have for power output. Of course there is a point of diminishing returns when to increase strength you have to increase BW which jeopardizes speed and thus power output, but you can't sit here and tell me that 200-300 pounds is the max a pro basketballer should be squatting.

dunksby
08-27-2015, 03:54 PM

Basketballers

Basketballers

Basketballers
Yes.

GIF REACTION
08-27-2015, 03:55 PM
There are plenty of 6-5+ guys in the NFL that squat huge numbers

Alamо
08-27-2015, 04:13 PM

That's why they're in the NFL.

Cocaine80s
08-27-2015, 04:16 PM
That's why they're in the NFL

GIF REACTION
08-27-2015, 04:18 PM
So because they play basketball they shouldn't squat heavy?

Bad argument

GIF REACTION
08-27-2015, 04:20 PM
If 6-8 NFL players can put up 600+ pound squats then why can't a 6-8 NBA player put up a 400+ squat? Do they? I've never heard or seen an NBA player that tall lift that heavy.

warriorfan
08-27-2015, 04:20 PM
when birdchested dudes give lifting advice...

ClipperRevival
08-27-2015, 04:22 PM
So because they play basketball they shouldn't squat heavy?

Bad argument

They should but only to an extent. NBA players need quickness and explosiveness so they need to do exercises which emphasize their quick twitch fibers. Squatting all day would actually worsen them.

GIF REACTION
08-27-2015, 04:25 PM
You're so jealous of my ripped physique. You're obsessed with me.

But on a serious note

NBA players have the worst strength and conditioning programs

The goal should be to maximize the weight to power ratio and doing that by incorporating the basics and lifting in heavy parameters EG- 70-80% of 1rm

GIF REACTION
08-27-2015, 04:28 PM
They should but only to an extent. NBA players need quickness and explosiveness so they need to do exercises which emphasize their quick twitch fibers. Squatting all day would actually worsen them.
You are a ****ing idiot

Lifting doesn't make you slow

Becoming stronger doesn't make you slow

Oldest myth

The optimal squat strength for power athletes is 1.75-2.00xBW

GIF REACTION
08-27-2015, 04:30 PM
The world's best sprinters don't move their legs faster, they exert more force every time they take a stride

FireDavidKahn
08-27-2015, 04:44 PM
GIF REACTION thinks he knows more than all the personal trainers in the NBA:oldlol: :facepalm

GIF REACTION
08-27-2015, 04:47 PM
You're goddamn right

Until I see footage of an NBA player squatting atleast 315

Trollsmasher
08-27-2015, 04:50 PM
gif reaction owning the thread

however NBA can't overdo it as they actually need some stamina - sprinters and NFL players have none

GIF REACTION
08-27-2015, 04:59 PM
gif reaction owning the thread

however NBA can't overdo it as they actually need some stamina - sprinters and NFL players have none
Of course

I'm sure they do the right things having heard Steph Curry trap bar deadlifts 405 which is good for a 180 man

It's common knowledge

Who do you think has more power output potential

Lebron James at 260 pounds who can squat 450

Or

Lebron James at 260 pounds who can squat 300

All about power (strengthxspeed) to weight ratio

I did find this which leads me to belief they are doing the right things
http://www.usab.com/youth/news/2011/11/3alternatives-to-squats.aspx

But it's more just a preference style from myself. Instead of using alternatives to the squat, I'd have the athlete wear olympic heeled shoes, and adopt a low bar position and a wide powerlifting style stance. Also I'd go for a sumo stance deadlift instead of a trap bar but it's not too much of a big deal. Front squats w/ olympic heeled shoes are a definite, especially if they were doing wide stance low bar squats.

ralph_i_el
08-27-2015, 05:00 PM
You are a ****ing idiot

Lifting doesn't make you slow

Becoming stronger doesn't make you slow

Oldest myth

The optimal squat strength for power athletes is 1.75-2.00xBW

adding a bunch of weight in areas that aren't involved in running may make you slower :confusedshrug:

GIF REACTION
08-27-2015, 05:03 PM
adding a bunch of weight in areas that aren't involved in running may make you slower :confusedshrug:
This is true if we were talking about the bench press

It's to no surprise that the combine test is 185 pounds

But for a squat, there really is no muscle used in the movement that isn't of use to running or playing basketball. Squats are a very "functional" so to say movement.

Euroleague
08-27-2015, 05:04 PM
Stupid. Typical dumb NBA teams over bulking up and over juicing up their players until they wreck them.

There is absolutely no reason for him to gain that much weight.

GIF REACTION
08-27-2015, 05:05 PM
Though I would think increasing strength while maintaining BW is beneficial regardless of the movement or the muscles.

Skills and shot could be affected however. I wouldn't want Steph Curry benching alot if at all

inclinerator
08-27-2015, 05:08 PM
he got fat

kshutts1
08-27-2015, 05:08 PM
This.

And GIF REACTION? When it comes to lifting, you're officially an idiot.

GIF REACTION
08-27-2015, 05:12 PM
This.

How

Actually explain how I'm the idiot here

You do understand the whole point of weightlifting for sports is the Power to Weight ratio?

And you do realize that power is STRENGTH x speed

You clearly don't understand any of these concepts nor have a background in this subject

kshutts1
08-27-2015, 05:15 PM
How

Actually explain how I'm the idiot here

You do understand the whole point of weightlifting for sports is the Power to Weight ratio?

And you do realize that power is STRENGTH x speed

You clearly don't understand any of these concepts nor have a background in this subject
Power, as you're classifying it, is rarely needed in basketball, in particular in today's the game.

Generally the best type of lifting for basketball is low weight, high rep. Basketball players should work on functional strength, and maintaining speed and quickness and strengthening the supporting joints and core body parts.

NBA players don't need the brute strength of NFL players, nor do they typically need the awesome power of, maybe a soccer player's legs or a baseball hitter.

GIF REACTION
08-27-2015, 05:17 PM
Power, as you're classifying it, is rarely needed in basketball, in particular in today's the game.

Generally the best type of lifting for basketball is low weight, high rep. Basketball players should work on functional strength, and maintaining speed and quickness and strengthening the supporting joints and core body parts.

NBA players don't need the brute strength of NFL players, nor do they typically need the awesome power of, maybe a soccer player's legs or a baseball hitter.
Yeah you have no idea what you're talking about.

kshutts1
08-27-2015, 05:19 PM
Yeah you have no idea what you're talking about.
I guess that's your opinion, and I share it towards you.

GIF REACTION
08-27-2015, 05:20 PM
So you say basketballers shouldn't squat heavy because they need fast twitch fibers then go on to say that high reps build fast twitch fibers?

Man you are clueless

GIF REACTION
08-27-2015, 05:21 PM
Are you saying NFL players are slow twitch athletes?

LMAO

I<3NBA
08-27-2015, 05:39 PM
NFL players utilizes fast twitch fibers more than slow twitch fibers. slow twitch fibers are for endurance activities such as marathon, long distance swimming, etc. basketball is on the middle ground. basketball players need both slow and fast twitch muscle fibers.

if they want Davis to not get pushed around, they need to improve his lower body strength, not his upper body strength. hips and legs need to be trained rather than the upper body since its the hips and legs that maintain position.

as for me, i'd rather focus on training players to lessen injury. focus on bulking up muscles around the knee and ankle joints to better support it. design training and practice schedule to lessen wear and tear and to promote healing.

swagga
08-27-2015, 05:43 PM
So you say basketballers shouldn't squat heavy because they need fast twitch fibers then go on to say that high reps build fast twitch fibers?

Man you are clueless

damn, it's hard to find a job these days. I feel you son.

KnittingRyu
08-27-2015, 05:45 PM
Him bulking up does not mean quicker and more explosive. We see these types of reports every year. Sometimes the players improve, sometimes they don't. I'll wait and see to see how this bulk changes his game.

senelcoolidge
08-27-2015, 05:46 PM
Don't be surprised if he get a serious injury.

GIF REACTION
08-27-2015, 05:55 PM
It said he maintained his body fat % so we can assume he got more explosive, assuming he performed the right movements

4 Inches
08-27-2015, 05:57 PM
Yes nice :applause:
About 40-50 more pounds of fat/muscle and he can be a light skin Shaq with better defense and more range

Mike Armstrong
08-27-2015, 06:01 PM

Yarp.

90sgoat
08-27-2015, 06:03 PM
He on that juju.

KnittingRyu
08-27-2015, 06:05 PM
It said he maintained his body fat % so we can assume he got more explosive, assuming he performed the right movements

Maintaining bf% does not mean explosiveness stays. It certainly doesn't mean endurance remains, which reduces explosiveness late in games.

Megabox!
08-27-2015, 06:18 PM
Hope not, really looking forward to watching him next year

Euroleague
08-27-2015, 06:57 PM
Him bulking up does not mean quicker and more explosive. We see these types of reports every year. Sometimes the players improve, sometimes they don't. I'll wait and see to see how this bulk changes his game.

In most cases they get worse, and eventually wreck their knees.

Stu Jackson
08-27-2015, 06:58 PM
there arent huge guys to bang so a 7 footer like davis does not need to put on weight

stay thin and play your own game you arent shaq

sundizz
08-27-2015, 07:04 PM
It is honestly tough to gauge. Too much lifting is completely unnecessary. Actually lifting in general seems fairly unnecessary to me.

I'm not sure why more of these athletes don't work on cross functional things that would improve their strength in other ways (and add in some pullups and pushups).

I'd say a summer spent:
1. Doing rock climbing
2. Body weight squats, pullups, pushups
3. Light jump roping
4. Tons of shooting
5. Swimming + yoga
6. Core work workouts

will be much better for the body long term. That added weight is just going to shorten his career/increase his injury risk due to being slower and having to run through people instead of around them.

Kobe adding all that weight in muscle in 2003 was the beginning of the end of his elite level athleticism. Pre 2003 Kobe was a rare level of athletic.

Stu Jackson
08-27-2015, 07:06 PM
It is honestly tough to gauge. Too much lifting is completely unnecessary. Actually lifting in general seems fairly unnecessary to me.

I'm not sure why more of these athletes don't work on cross functional things that would improve their strength in other ways (and add in some pullups and pushups).

I'd say a summer spent:
1. Doing rock climbing
2. Body weight squats, pullups, pushups
3. Light jump roping
4. Tons of shooting
5. Swimming + yoga
6. Core work workouts

will be much better for the body long term. That added weight is just going to shorten his career/increase his injury risk due to being slower and having to run through people instead of around them.

Kobe adding all that weight in muscle in 2003 was the beginning of the end of his elite level athleticism. Pre 2003 Kobe was a rare level of athletic.
talking up kobe again this board is very strange he was not as talented as the legends of the game

dont type up long posts like its a college paper either makes you look like a sissy

RoseCity07
08-27-2015, 07:10 PM
He's squating b*tch weight for an NBA big. Needs to hit the gym even more.

Cali Syndicate
08-27-2015, 07:59 PM
To everybody clowning on the 225lb squat, who's to say that's his max? He could be working on a 15-20 rep set for all we know.... Cause I'm pretty sure that picture is to depict the range of motion and depth in the squat, not to show off the weight.

Cali Syndicate
08-27-2015, 08:24 PM
he got fat

That's essentially what bulking does. I doubt this will be his actual playing weight... Probably will drop 8-10lbs by the time season starts

Beastmode88
08-27-2015, 08:28 PM
:facepalm

Did you seriously just say that?

:facepalm :facepalm Whats the point in maxing out for bball players? Their sport is cardio based why the hell do you need tree trunk for legs.

plowking
08-27-2015, 08:46 PM

Too safe

I'm certain they do. I remember seeing a video of Bobby Jackson a while back, and he was doing squats with 315lbs comfortably.

As for the power output, I wouldn't say necessarily that power output is completely dictated by your one rep max. I remember Sonny Bill Williams here talking about his one rep max for the bench, and he mentioned it was only 140kg (315lbs) for 2 or 3 reps, which is nothing compared to some of the other New Zealand All Blacks, but then his coach was on screen next and mentioned that given a moderate weight, like 60kg, Sonny Bill moves it quicker than anyone on the team. He also mentioned that this is what made him the best athlete on the team. The ability to exert that power over several efforts.

senelcoolidge
08-27-2015, 10:24 PM
there arent huge guys to bang so a 7 footer like davis does not need to put on weight

stay thin and play your own game you arent shaq

I agree with this. He doesn't have to bulk up so much, it might actually hinder some of his game, but it could also add other dimensions. In today's NBA he doesn't have to bulk up to bang down low. He should stay thin and play his game. Being thin doesn't mean being weak.

Thunderfan86
08-27-2015, 10:34 PM
Skinny nikka tryna bulk up. If his dick game is on point he'll have the whole package. Just gotta get them teeth fixed and trim up that unibrow.

triangleoffense
08-27-2015, 10:37 PM
chicken legs

will still get punished in the post
As someone who does and has had knee surgery because of it.. he kinda does.

Beastmode88
08-27-2015, 10:39 PM
I'm certain they do. I remember seeing a video of Bobby Jackson a while back, and he was doing squats with 315lbs comfortably.

As for the power output, I wouldn't say necessarily that power output is completely dictated by your one rep max. I remember Sonny Bill Williams here talking about his one rep max for the bench, and he mentioned it was only 140kg (315lbs) for 2 or 3 reps, which is nothing compared to some of the other New Zealand All Blacks, but then his coach was on screen next and mentioned that given a moderate weight, like 60kg, Sonny Bill moves it quicker than anyone on the team. He also mentioned that this is what made him the best athlete on the team. The ability to exert that power over several efforts.

but whats the point in a BASKETBALL player going for a 1rm. gif reaction's dumb ass was comparing nfl players to nba players. people in nfl play the game by downs (short interval burst) while nba players have to play the game for a longer amount of time (time outs, free throw, and end of quarters are the only time they have breaks).

Sportal
08-27-2015, 10:39 PM

Too safe

Clearly we can see in this still picture how many reps he is doing..

G-train
08-27-2015, 11:31 PM
Looks like about 235 pounds to me.
I wouldn't have added any weight.
He just needs to maintain last seasons form to be an all time great.
Just keep your J sharp and stay healthy.

CarlosBoozer
08-27-2015, 11:41 PM
Getting fat is part of the bulking stage, he'll probably be lean towards the start of the season.

SamuraiSWISH
08-27-2015, 11:54 PM
If KD isn't fully healthy recovering from a bad foot injury, and LeBron continues to decline quickly. Then you're looking at the best player in basketball for the foreseeable future.

GIF REACTION
08-28-2015, 12:13 AM

Yes I'm sure they do... Or I'd hope so. it's just the only squatting I've seen of NBA players have been with 135 and 225 pounds... Saw a clip of Lebron doing 135 box squats, think it was a light day or something. I do agree with you on the max reps... Kurt Angle when he won the olympic gold for greco roman wrestling used to squat 405 as many times as he could, then 315 the next time, then 225, then 135, all as fast as he could.... Made him extremely conditioned.... What I'm saying is I understand that you can test strength with a max reps scheme and a max 1 rep weight.... Just feel like there is potential left on the table when the NBA players don't reach a maximum squat at a specific bodyweight. I'm sure they do, though. Just havent heard anything or read much outside of Curry's 405 trap bar deadlift. I'm sure guys like Nate Robinson can squat very heavy, he has ideal levers... There is just this mystique in basketball, that tall guys shouldn't squat, and it's just wrong. Olympic heeled weightlifting shoes + low bar positon + wide powerlifting style stance to parallel is adequate for the tall guys.... Counter balance the posterior chain dominance of the squat with front squats in the olympic shoes... Certainly is interesting stuff. These NBA players often have just gotten by in their careers from HS to the NBA just because of their size and mobility... So many people talk about putting an extreme focus on skills and fundamentals, I just feel like they should be doing this with strength and conditioning too.

triangleoffense
08-28-2015, 12:19 AM
Looks like about 235 pounds to me.
I wouldn't have added any weight.
He just needs to maintain last seasons form to be an all time great.
Just keep your J sharp and stay healthy.
Yup this.. if i was 7'0 i would just work on my shot all day because no one can stop you if it's falling, i.e: Dirk in 2011.

retaxis
08-28-2015, 12:49 AM
Yup this.. if i was 7'0 i would just work on my shot all day because no one can stop you if it's falling, i.e: Dirk in 2011.
Bulk is as much for offence as defence

plowking
08-28-2015, 12:56 AM
Yes I'm sure they do... Or I'd hope so. it's just the only squatting I've seen of NBA players have been with 135 and 225 pounds... Saw a clip of Lebron doing 135 box squats, think it was a light day or something. I do agree with you on the max reps... Kurt Angle when he won the olympic gold for greco roman wrestling used to squat 405 as many times as he could, then 315 the next time, then 225, then 135, all as fast as he could.... Made him extremely conditioned.... What I'm saying is I understand that you can test strength with a max reps scheme and a max 1 rep weight.... Just feel like there is potential left on the table when the NBA players don't reach a maximum squat at a specific bodyweight. I'm sure they do, though. Just havent heard anything or read much outside of Curry's 405 trap bar deadlift. I'm sure guys like Nate Robinson can squat very heavy, he has ideal levers... There is just this mystique in basketball, that tall guys shouldn't squat, and it's just wrong. Olympic heeled weightlifting shoes + low bar positon + wide powerlifting style stance to parallel is adequate for the tall guys.... Counter balance the posterior chain dominance of the squat with front squats in the olympic shoes... Certainly is interesting stuff. These NBA players often have just gotten by in their careers from HS to the NBA just because of their size and mobility... So many people talk about putting an extreme focus on skills and fundamentals, I just feel like they should be doing this with strength and conditioning too.

I'm guessing the weights get lighter as they come closer to the season. It is indisputable that you injure yourself less when working with lighter weight. So I'm guessing with the start of the season getting closer, the weights get lighter, and they'll naturally shed weight as they play more, hence workouts not being as intense.

I've noticed it with myself. I'm assuming you're I'm Still Ballin? I remember talking about our various injuries with you that we both had. Hips, shoulders and all.

I've gone back to boxing recently, and I'm really not lifting anywhere near as heavy as I used to. I'm literally doing 265lbs on squats and deadlifts, and 245lbs for bench. Haven't budged over that until I reach 15 reps on everything. I'd even say my power to weight ratio would be similar to when I was lifting heavy. Simply because I'm down to 200lbs now as compared to 230lbs when I was lifting. Don't think I'd be maxing out at 350lbs on bench anymore, but I'd favour to say I'd be better ratio wise. My point being... you can get stronger, and more powerful doing more reps with lighter weights. Just my opinion, since I've seen some progression through it.

G-train
08-28-2015, 12:59 AM
Bulk is as much for offence as defence

When you are already all defensive team, I would rather just stay light but as strong as possible.

GIF REACTION
08-28-2015, 01:22 AM
I'm guessing the weights get lighter as they come closer to the season. It is indisputable that you injure yourself less when working with lighter weight. So I'm guessing with the start of the season getting closer, the weights get lighter, and they'll naturally shed weight as they play more, hence workouts not being as intense.

I've noticed it with myself. I'm assuming you're I'm Still Ballin? I remember talking about our various injuries with you that we both had. Hips, shoulders and all.

I've gone back to boxing recently, and I'm really not lifting anywhere near as heavy as I used to. I'm literally doing 265lbs on squats and deadlifts, and 245lbs for bench. Haven't budged over that until I reach 15 reps on everything. I'd even say my power to weight ratio would be similar to when I was lifting heavy. Simply because I'm down to 200lbs now as compared to 230lbs when I was lifting. Don't think I'd be maxing out at 350lbs on bench anymore, but I'd favour to say I'd be better ratio wise. My point being... you can get stronger, and more powerful doing more reps with lighter weights. Just my opinion, since I've seen some progression through it.
Lifting heavy certainly takes its toll

Yeah I agree on that. I've recently dropped the rep maxes once a week and have opted for lighter weight and more volume... Practice perfect reps they say... IMO grinding on heavy weights continually only brings about poor movement dysfunction and creates injuries... I'm trying to work in that 70-80% range where It's still a decent weight but I maintain perfect form.

Also been upping the volume overall... Doing a lot of the extra body building isolation type stuff and it really does help.

Also i haven't squatted in pretty much 10 weeks since I tore my hamstring a bit... Been reading up on Olympic weightlifting methods and ideologies in relation to squatting, particularly the Bulgarian method. Basically it is squatting every day and just going all out each day.... People always talk about overtraining but you never quite see or hear people who have 'overtrained'. It's an interesting topic. Many people have blown their squat numbers up simply by squatting every day... Apparently it is hard early, but eventually you adapt to it... I'm liking and thinking of doing it because there is no better way to maintain mobility than to squat.

Mike Armstrong
08-28-2015, 01:28 AM
That's essentially what bulking does. I doubt this will be his actual playing weight... Probably will drop 8-10lbs by the time season starts

Yarp.

sportjames23
08-28-2015, 02:21 AM
Where is Anthony Davis gif where someone is trying to stick their finger in his ass.

:biggums:

sportjames23
08-28-2015, 02:24 AM
This.

He's an idiot, period.

plowking
08-28-2015, 02:30 AM
He's an idiot, period.

If he is I'm Still Ballin, he does know his stuff about lifting.

It obviously becomes a blurred line as to what to do when mixed in with a professional sport. I for one wouldn't lift heavy. Not light though at the same time, since it yields average and slow results.
Then again, you have guys like Cain Valezquez and his trainer telling him to go heavy and hard every workout, both in the gym and MMA training, and he is the best at what he does.

Bruce Lee was a big advocate of heavy lifting too. Then again, he suffered a ruptured disk in his back, but he was the best at what he did during his day.

It varies. I've been lifting for a while now and I'm certainly suffering less injuries now that I'm lifting lighter. Although I do miss loading up the bar and having a crack at a 1RM.

tomtucker
08-28-2015, 03:07 AM
more weight = more likely to get a knee/leg/foot injury

tomtucker
08-28-2015, 03:21 AM

http://www.tmz.com/videos/0_l83mcytg/

https://chrislejarzar.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/freddy_got_fingered_12_fingers_him.jpg

retaxis
08-28-2015, 03:39 AM
When you are already all defensive team, I would rather just stay light but as strong as possible.
Yep ur right ad and training staff r wrong as usual

blacknapalm
08-28-2015, 04:54 AM
some hyperbole going on here. could this be a bad thing? sure. adding weight to sometimes fragile players can make them even more injury prone. thing is AD's injury problems have been mostly minor sprains and shoulder issues. this should help his shoulder issues and we'll see about sprains but i don't see it affecting it greatly either way.

he added about 12 lbs of muscle. on a guy with his frame, that's not that drastic. KG is about 253 and davis has much broader shoulders than KG, so he's able to carry his weight better. duncan is around 250.

this is the time of year he's going to start lifting lighter as well, or at least weening off. he'll maintain the muscle but he might drop to around 250. nothing major but he'll be playing in a high tempo offense so that's a factor as well. they're going to need him to rim run like he's done his whole career basically. i don't think this added muscle is going to really take that away. i do think that's probably where he wants to plateau out. adding more muscle beyond this point will just start to negate his strengths too much. he has a very effective, sometimes scarily good modern game as it is.

this is going to make AD's post game become more potent, especially on the defensive end. he won't get fronted and backed down as easily, which was basically the one main weakness remaining for him on that end. for rebounding, he'll be more of a force to box out and vice versa. offensively, he's going to have the ability to punish smaller PFs. if teams go small ball, he can do the same thing. i'm just really seeing if his post game makes an actual step forward this year.

if he starts to reveal a comfortable good post game with the ability to draw more doubles, the league is his. i think he can be the best player next year if that's the case. it boggles my mind he's only 22. he was 4th in the league in ppg this year while only shooting 17.6 times/gm. i can see him leading the league in scoring at his peak.

i'm calling 26/11/3/3 this year. i know, the assists might not be there but fvck it, i'm all in. unibrow about to wreck shit...

https://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/yZ17tckx4AKzh6atV1YEhZpSFKQ=/0x12:1000x679/730x487/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/photo_images/6326370/20120402_rvr_am8_288.jpg

GimmeThat
08-28-2015, 05:37 AM
at 22, I would say I am more inclined to see his ability to pace himself on his scoring per game.

consistently average 23+ with your 6.5/4.5/5.5/7.5 type game and go into the 30's even 40's in a savy manner where it fits in the team concept.

this might take away some from his defense, but limiting shot attempts with his presence alone has made his on/off court defensive statistic look better than as is. I can't pin point that the NOP are going to need him to make those 'statement like' defensive plays, but more so the annoyance of the best Center of the game not being on your team.

as for the traditional mold of evaluating star players and their post all star break performance, I have confidence in Anthony Davis that the Pelicans would have an above .500 record with him showcasing the league that he can lead his team with those 8-0, 13-4 runs to slowly put teams away from contention for the next spot up.