PDA

View Full Version : All-Time Detroit Pistons probably could beat any All-Time team.

ZMonkey11
08-11-2015, 04:35 PM
With all this All-Lakers vs All-Bulls talk, then adding in All-Celtics, has anyone thought about the power of the All-Pistons teams? You could have 2 full lines of All-Time great defenses to roll out one after another. Both were Championship caliber defenses with great talent in the offensive end.

But they can't stop Kareem and Shaq?

But...they did.

No way this team could handle Magic, Kobe, Pippen and Jordan, though...

But...they did.

Well what about Parish, McHale, Johnson, Worthy and Bird?

Yea...them, too.

The Detroit Pistons have already slaughtered those teams' all-time bests. What would stop them from taking out the best of the best of the best?

It's essentially the late 80s and 2000s Pistons that would really be the best team of all-time. God damn.

StephHamann
08-11-2015, 04:37 PM
http://media.giphy.com/media/3oEduHKpjEJn1HDXqM/giphy.gif

ShawkFactory
08-11-2015, 04:39 PM
What the hell? No they didn't stop Kobe and Shaq and Kareem. Especially not at the same time..

ZMonkey11

That's exactly what the Pistons did. Shut down the hopes of so many in the past. Great post!

GIF REACTION
The All-Time Vancouver Grizzlies would DEMOLISH Detroit.

ZMonkey11
08-11-2015, 04:41 PM
What the hell? No they didn't stop Kobe and Shaq and Kareem. Especially not at the same time..

They have stopped Kobe and Shaq in 2004.

They should have stopped Kareem in '88 (thanks refs) and stopped them in '89.

Yea...it would be kind of difficult unless Kareem came out of retirement in the mid 2000s... O.o

ZMonkey11
08-11-2015, 04:42 PM
The All-Time Vancouver Grizzlies would DEMOLISH Detroit.

You are talking just Vancouver, right?

Rose'sACL
08-11-2015, 04:43 PM
Consider this:

LeBron James
Dwyane Wade
Alonzo Mourning
Ray Allen
Chris Bosh

Pistons never faced 2 offensive options like prime wade and prime lebron on the same team with great defensive front court. Bosh is a very good defender at pf but gets bullied at center. Alonzo will cover that while being an offensive threat.

This is just heat. There are a few teams which have way better all time teams.

kennethgriffin
08-11-2015, 04:45 PM
the lakers 2nd squad could very well beat any team all time...

1st team:

Magic
Kobe
Baylor
Kareem
Shaq

2nd team:

West
Goodrich
Worthy
Mikan
Wilt

so forget about trying to beat team #1

:lol

ZMonkey11
08-11-2015, 04:51 PM
Consider this:

LeBron James
Dwyane Wade
Alonzo Mourning
Ray Allen
Chris Bosh

Pistons never faced 2 offensive options like prime wade and prime lebron on the same team with great defensive front court. Bosh is a very good defender at pf but gets bullied at center. Alonzo will cover that while being an offensive threat.

This is just heat. There are a few teams which have way better all time teams.

Pretty sure Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O'Neal. Pistons did a pretty good job about that.

A line up of

Chauncey Billups
Joe Dumars
Dennis Rodman
Rasheed Wallace
Bill Laimbeer

Could handle that line up pretty easily. Bosh would get bullied by either big. Rodman could be placed on LeBron. Joe D on Wade. Chauncey on spot-up Ray Allen. Laimbeer would **** with Alonzo the whole time until he got into head.

I didn't include Isiah, Ben Wallace, Rip Hamilton, Mark Aguirre, Adrian Dantley, or Dave Bing yet. Nor Grant Hill or Jerry Stackhouse.

You couldn't even choose which starting five you'd want. The Pistons are THAT deep at EVERY position.

GreggPopazit
08-11-2015, 04:53 PM
Nobody is impressed that a Detroit team beat past his prime Shaq and WAY past his prime Kareem.

RRR3
08-11-2015, 04:55 PM
Lakers roll out a front line of Kareem/Shaq/Wilt. Good luck stopping that or Kobe West Magic and Baylor.

The 76ers have a front line of Barkley/Wilt/Moses and Dr. J at SF

kshutts1
08-11-2015, 04:59 PM
Defensively, Detroit can hang with any team.

I just question their ability to score enough to beat these "all time" teams.

ZMonkey11
08-11-2015, 05:00 PM
the lakers 2nd squad could very well beat any team all time...

1st team:

Magic - Isiah
Kobe - Joe Dumars
Baylor - Dennis Rodman
Kareem - Rasheed Wallace
Shaq - Bill Laimbeer

2nd team:

West - Chauncey Bills
Goodrich - Rip Hamilton
Worthy - Grant Hill
Mikan - Ben Wallace
Wilt - Bob Lanier

so forget about trying to beat team #1

I put up who I'd put up in the lineup to their right. I don't see any glaring holes in the Pistons against either team. And Detroit is plenty the better defensive team in both matchups.

SyRyanYang
08-11-2015, 05:21 PM
A line up of

Chauncey Billups
Joe Dumars
Dennis Rodman
Rasheed Wallace
Bill Laimbeer

They could probably limit the Heat to double digits but they would have trouble scoring over 50 points:oldlol:

Papaya Petee
08-11-2015, 05:29 PM
Pretty sure Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O'Neal. Pistons did a pretty good job about that.

A line up of

Chauncey Billups
Joe Dumars
Dennis Rodman
Rasheed Wallace
Bill Laimbeer

Could handle that line up pretty easily. Bosh would get bullied by either big. Rodman could be placed on LeBron. Joe D on Wade. Chauncey on spot-up Ray Allen. Laimbeer would **** with Alonzo the whole time until he got into head.

I didn't include Isiah, Ben Wallace, Rip Hamilton, Mark Aguirre, Adrian Dantley, or Dave Bing yet. Nor Grant Hill or Jerry Stackhouse.

You couldn't even choose which starting five you'd want. The Pistons are THAT deep at EVERY position.
The Heat would literally murder that Pistons team.

Prime Prince and Hamilton got abused by a 3rd year Wade. 09 Wade and 13 Lebron would eat them alive.

Tim Hardaway instead of Ray Allen would be equal to Chauncey.
Prime Zo shits on Laimbeer on both ends of the floor.
Plus Bosh can stretch the floor out.
4-1, probably a sweep.

Rose'sACL
08-11-2015, 05:29 PM

A line up of

Chauncey Billups
Joe Dumars
Dennis Rodman
Rasheed Wallace
Bill Laimbeer

ya, the lakers team on which kobe wasn't passing to shaq even when shaq got great position deep in the post. go ahead and watch the 2004 finals and tell me that what i just wrote didn't happen a lot of times.
Kobe-Shaq feud was half the reason pistons won in 2004 finals.

Rose'sACL
08-11-2015, 05:33 PM
The Heat would literally murder that Pistons team.

Prime Prince and Hamilton got abused by a 3rd year Wade. 09 Wade and 13 Lebron would eat them alive.

Tim Hardaway instead of Ray Allen would be equal to Chauncey.
Prime Zo shits on Laimbeer on both ends of the floor.
Plus Bosh can stretch the floor out.
4-1, probably a sweep.
This. People don't realize this but 2012 heat with an all time great defensive center would probably be top 3 team of all time. 2012 heat trashed every team when bosh wasn't injured. Adding alonzo to that team would be unfair.

kennethgriffin
08-11-2015, 05:35 PM
I put up who I'd put up in the lineup to their right. I don't see any glaring holes in the Pistons against either team. And Detroit is plenty the better defensive team in both matchups.

Magic >>>> Isiah
Kobe >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Joe Dumars
Baylor >>>>>>>>>> Dennis Rodman
Kareem >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Rasheed Wallace
Shaq >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bill Laimbeer

2nd team:

West >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Chauncey Bills
Goodrich >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Rip Hamilton
Worthy = Grant Hill
Mikan >>>>>>>> Ben Wallace
Wilt >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bob Lanier

no glaring holes?

:biggums:

ZMonkey11
08-11-2015, 05:45 PM
ya, the lakers team on which kobe wasn't passing to shaq even when shaq got great position deep in the post. go ahead and watch the 2004 finals and tell me that what i just wrote didn't happen a lot of times.
Kobe-Shaq feud was half the reason pistons won in 2004 finals.

I saw it and I know the strategy they used. The Pistons let Shaq force the ball down the Pistons throat. Kobe got tired of it and wanted in on the action.

So the Pistons have the mental edge is what you are saying?

Rose'sACL
08-11-2015, 05:46 PM
I saw it and I know the strategy they used. The Pistons let Shaq force the ball down the Pistons throat. Kobe got tired of it and wanted in on the action.

So the Pistons have the mental edge is what you are saying?
pistons would have the mental edge if they were the reason shaq and kobe were almost enemies during that time.

ZMonkey11
08-11-2015, 05:46 PM
Magic >>>> Isiah
Kobe >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Joe Dumars
Baylor >>>>>>>>>> Dennis Rodman
Kareem >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Rasheed Wallace
Shaq >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bill Laimbeer

2nd team:

West >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Chauncey Bills
Goodrich >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Rip Hamilton
Worthy = Grant Hill
Mikan >>>>>>>> Ben Wallace
Wilt >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bob Lanier

no glaring holes?

:biggums:

So we forget about the defensive side of the ball. It's cool. No worries.

Half the guys up there were beaten by Pistons in the Finals. Just saying.

jayfan
08-11-2015, 05:54 PM
Bing
Lanier
Isiah
Dumars
Dantley
Aguire
Rodman
Grant Hill
B. Wallace
R. Wallace
Billups
Laimbeer

This team can compete with any all-time great team. Best defensive team of them all.

And1AllDay
08-11-2015, 06:05 PM
They could probably limit the Heat to double digits but they would have trouble scoring over 50 points:oldlol:

Final Score
Heat: 51
Pistons: 47

kennethgriffin
08-11-2015, 06:10 PM
So we forget about the defensive side of the ball. It's cool. No worries.

Half the guys up there were beaten by Pistons in the Finals. Just saying.

you act like those lakers werent great defenders ( asside from magic )

and great offense beats great defense... legends arent even effected by it. they get theirs regardless

and if they get doubled theyre just gonna pass to another legend

jayfan
08-11-2015, 06:34 PM
Bing
Lanier
Isiah
Dumars
Dantley
Aguire
Rodman
Grant Hill
B. Wallace
R. Wallace
Billups
Laimbeer

This team can compete with any all-time great team. Best defensive team of them all.

And there's plenty of scoring here, by the way.

Rose'sACL
08-11-2015, 07:01 PM
And there's plenty of scoring here, by the way.

no, there isn't if they are playing against all time great defenders themselves. Apparently your team can stop all time great offensive threats like wade and lebron but wade, lebron and alonzo on the same team can't stop players on your team which are not even close to top 25 offensive players of all time.

SouBeachTalents
08-11-2015, 07:14 PM
Lol at dumbass OP bragging about beating 40 year old Kareem. Pistons wouldn't even be a top 5 all time team

jayfan
08-11-2015, 07:49 PM
no, there isn't if they are playing against all time great defenders themselves. Apparently your team can stop all time great offensive threats like wade and lebron but wade, lebron and alonzo on the same team can't stop players on your team which are not even close to top 25 offensive players of all time.

Yeah, pretty much.

And by the way, Adrian Dantley is #27 all-time scorer, (that's close to top 25, last I checked), and #15 among that group in ppg.

Rose'sACL
08-11-2015, 08:00 PM
Yeah, pretty much.

And by the way, Adrian Dantley is #27 all-time scorer. That's close to top 25, last I checked.

i am not taking dantley over wade as a scorer because he has more points.
Players who have scored lesser total points than dantley:
Larry Bird
Wade
David Robinson

Just like i said, i would take these 3 before dantley even though they have lesser total points scored.

sfballa13
08-11-2015, 11:58 PM
Nobody is impressed that a Detroit team beat past his prime Shaq and WAY past his prime Kareem.

2004 Shaq was past his prime :roll:

Shaq put up the following numbers in the 2004 Finals:
27 pts, 11 rebounds, 63% FG

Pistons won 4-1 :oldlol:

That's your cue to shut the farx up:lol

LoneyROY7
08-12-2015, 12:22 AM
All-time Clippers would SMASH Detroit.

SouBeachTalents
08-12-2015, 12:25 AM

Dude, ain't nobody beating that team

LoneyROY7
08-12-2015, 12:31 AM
Dude, ain't nobody beating that team

:banana:

RRR3
08-12-2015, 10:40 AM
Simulated 4 times on whatifsports. Lakers won every single time, never lost more than 2 games.

ZMonkey11
08-12-2015, 01:49 PM
Simulated 4 times on whatifsports. Lakers won every single time, never lost more than 2 games.

Simulate the 88, 89, and 2004 Finals. Tell me the results.

Also I simulated the Pistons winning the championship in 2016 on NBA 2k15. We got LeBron!

RRR3
08-12-2015, 02:13 PM
Simulate the 88, 89, and 2004 Finals. Tell me the results.

Also I simulated the Pistons winning the championship in 2016 on NBA 2k15. We got LeBron!
The Simulations don't indicate what really would happen, but I think it shows that the Lakers would be favored for sure. I don't see the Pistons stopping the Lakers, too many weapons. Lakers have arguably half of the top 10 (Kareem, Shaq, Wilt, Magic, Kobe) on their team for ****s sake. Then they have three more guys who are likely top 15-30 (West, Baylor, Mikan) and the final four guys (Gasol, Goodrich, Worthy, Wilkes) are all HOFers as well. :confusedshrug:

NBAplayoffs2001
08-12-2015, 02:32 PM

Still one of the funniest scenes in TV history :bowdown:

ZMonkey11
08-12-2015, 02:34 PM
The Simulations don't indicate what really would happen, but I think it shows that the Lakers would be favored for sure. I don't see the Pistons stopping the Lakers, too many weapons. Lakers have arguably half of the top 10 (Kareem, Shaq, Wilt, Magic, Kobe) on their team for ****s sake. Then they have three more guys who are likely top 15-30 (West, Baylor, Mikan) and the final four guys (Gasol, Goodrich, Worthy, Wilkes) are all HOFers as well. :confusedshrug:

I'm not saying the Pistons are a better team. If we are talking star power, the Lakers and Celtics have it in spades.

But if history has taught us anything, it's that the only team that could take down all the powers that can be in the NBA universe was the Detroit Pistons.

Top 10 players the 80s Pistons took down. Magic, Kareem, Jordan, Bird.

Top 10 players the 2000 Pistons took down. Shaq, Kobe.

These same 2000 Pistons were the roadblock for LeBron James and Dwayne Wade. Remember the LBJ commercials? (Jordan didn't get through Detroit playing in the pool or something similar)

There is more than half right there for you. Taken down by your Pistons, tried and true.

So what if you put all these All-Stars together? You are forgetting you are putting two incredibly oiled defensive juggernauts together, as well. And those defensive juggernauts are no slouch on offense.

Two highly talented stretch bigs (Lakers don't have that), the most dominating small man ever to play the game, a GOAT level guard defender, a GOAT level EVERYTHING defender, and a GOAT level bigs defender.

As much as you could say the Pistons couldn't stop all these stars, what makes you think they could stop the Pistons? Because the past shows us they couldn't. To put it simply, the Pistons play better team ball and are smarter than the teams they faced. Add that to a much better defense and I'm pretty sure the Pistons would win their fair share of games against any All-Time team.

NBAplayoffs2001
08-12-2015, 02:46 PM
Late 80s team in today's league would be really funny to watch especially if you keep today's rules. Would be the only team in NBA history who couldn't finish the game because half the team got ejected :oldlol:. I remember hearing as a kid that the Knicks of the early 90s tried emulating what the Pistons did but didn't have nearly enough talent to really stop Jordan in the playoffs. Mahorn was an evil dude... some of the stories they have about him bumping people or the "tap tap" no layup rules are just absurd. I like the team mentality but at times I watch the highlights and I feel like Coach Daly is just ignoring all the crazy fouls his team is committing. Reminds me of Coach Jimmy Johnson when he was on the University of Miami staff and a good amount of his players were criminals and doing drugs.

jayfan
08-12-2015, 05:13 PM

Ridiculous.

GreggPopazit
08-12-2015, 07:08 PM
2004 Shaq was past his prime :roll:

Shaq put up the following numbers in the 2004 Finals:
27 pts, 11 rebounds, 63% FG

Pistons won 4-1 :oldlol:

Shaq was still great, but clearly on the decline.

Rounded to 0.5s:
2000 vs 2004 regular season: 8 less ppg, 2 less rpg, 1 less apg, 0.5 less bpg

2000 vs 2004 playoffs: 9 less ppg, 2 less rpg, 0.5 less apg, 0.5 more bpg

2000 vs 2004 finals: 11.5 less ppg, 6 less rpg, 0.5 less apg, 2 less bpg

Meanwhile, the part that you conveniently skipped over about Kareem was that Kareem was WAY past his prime. Heck he was 42 years old in the Finals the OP used as evidence that the Pistons can beat him, averaging more than 17ppg LESS than his peak Laker season, 12.5rpg LESS than his peak, and 3bpg LESS than his highest recorded bpg.

FireDavidKahn
08-12-2015, 07:12 PM
Using "all time team" lists is only relevant if you use the years that the player was on that team...

GreggPopazit
08-12-2015, 07:22 PM
Using "all time team" lists is only relevant if you use the years that the player was on that team...

True, I spaced that with Kareem, still, early Lakers Kareem is far greater than the 42 year old who lost to Detroit.

TheMan
08-12-2015, 08:16 PM
Detroit beat a past their peak Lakers and Celtics and a young Bulls team. Once the Bulls matured enough, they smoked then 4-0

jayfan
08-12-2015, 10:02 PM
Detroit beat a past their peak Lakers and Celtics and a young Bulls team. Once the Bulls matured enough, they smoked then 4-0

I see. So the Celts and Lakers were past their peak when they lost to Detroit, but Detroit wasn't past it's peak when the Bulls finally (after losing to them 3 years in a row) beat them? Good stuff.

ZMonkey11
08-12-2015, 10:11 PM
Magic and Worthy were not out of their prime at that point. And there was one helluva guy named Byron Scott that was playing PRETTY GOOD at the time. So good, in fact, he was my favorite Laker growing up.

What is the problem here? You can't admit the Pistons can beat these teams? Be realistic. I'm not saying Detroit will sweep a series. But I am saying the All-Detroit team could go blow for blow with any All-Time great team. They took more than half the Top 10 in players out. Two teams. Then we are including Dave Bing, Bob Lanier, Grant Hill, and Jerry Stackhouse. (I know. But he did average 29 ppg one year...because he kind of had to. I get it.)

The Detroit Pistons have had GREAT players. And who knows what Andre Drummond, KCP, or Stanley Johnson can become.

The Detroit Pistons are criminally underrated on this board. 1st degree murder on meth.

jayfan
08-12-2015, 10:17 PM
Magic and Worthy were not out of their prime at that point. And there was one helluva guy named Byron Scott that was playing PRETTY GOOD at the time. So good, in fact, he was my favorite Laker growing up.

What is the problem here? You can't admit the Pistons can beat these teams? Be realistic. I'm not saying Detroit will sweep a series. But I am saying the All-Detroit team could go blow for blow with any All-Time great team. They took more than half the Top 10 in players out. Two teams. Then we are including Dave Bing, Bob Lanier, Grant Hill, and Jerry Stackhouse. (I know. But he did average 29 ppg one year...because he kind of had to. I get it.)

The Detroit Pistons have had GREAT players. And who knows what Andre Drummond, KCP, or Stanley Johnson can become.

The Detroit Pistons are criminally underrated on this board. 1st degree murder on meth.

I'm with you, Zmo. Our boys are getting overlooked big time. But in all fairness, Magic didn't really play after getting hurt in game 1 when we beat them.

*Incidentally, Stackhouse was nice for us, but he doesn't makes the team.

ZMonkey11
08-12-2015, 10:19 PM
I'm with you, Zmo. Our boys are getting overlooked big time. (I don't think Stackhouse makes the team, though). But in all fairness, Magic didn't really play after getting hurt in game 1 when we beat them.

Daps.

This is true. 89 was a weaker year. But we should have had them in '88. Refs messing with the 3-peat because Detroit basketball wasn't pretty enough.

jayfan
08-12-2015, 10:30 PM
Daps.

This is true. 89 was a weaker year. But we should have had them in '88. Refs messing with the 3-peat because Detroit basketball wasn't pretty enough.

No doubt. It took a phantom call against Laimbeer, bailing out Kareem, at the end of game 6 to rob us of the trophy.