PDA

View Full Version : Westbrook's EXPLOSION

LoneyROY7
08-04-2015, 06:16 PM
All of y'all need to watch this video Dawkins put together of Westbrook's drives this last season:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG_gSyj7-1w

Dude's pure speed and explosion is unreal.

iTare
08-04-2015, 06:20 PM
So fun to watch. Hope he wins a title or two so people give him the credit he deserves.

screeningnick
08-04-2015, 06:21 PM
Hypothetical - if someone like Westbrook dedicated his whole life to track & field in particular the sprint events, does anyone see any reason why he couldn't of been an Olympian?

K Xerxes
08-04-2015, 06:31 PM
Hypothetical - if someone like Westbrook dedicated his whole life to track & field in particular the sprint events, does anyone see any reason why he couldn't of been an Olympian?

I was actually thinking about this (randomly) the other day. I don't think he'd be quite up to par in sprinting, but I think he has the potential to dominate an event like the long jump or high jump if he spent his life on it. He has a unique combination of size, speed, explosiveness and hops

ClipperRevival
08-04-2015, 06:33 PM
Hit the genetic lottery. Wouldn't surprise me if he starts to fall off after he turns 30. His game is not going to age well. Since he's so explosive, he doesn't need to dive into his bag of tricks to get things done.

hihellohi765
08-04-2015, 06:34 PM
Damn sweet video. By far my favorite player. Been to several OKC games a year since their inaugural season and watched 95% of their games each year, at least. Dudes unreal. Nevwr gives up on a play and always gives it his all. Whether it's the Finals or in their first season when they started 3-29. Love his game and his fire.

Beastmode88
08-04-2015, 06:53 PM
Man I hope GOATBrook's career is long, dont want another rose happening with knee issues especially playing with his athleticism.

Indian guy
08-04-2015, 06:53 PM
Insane. Nobody has ever had acceleration like that. He's an elite leaper on top of it too. I'd say he's the most athletic guard ever.

Marchesk
08-04-2015, 06:58 PM
Insane. Nobody has ever had acceleration like that. He's an elite leaper on top of it too. I'd say he's the most athletic guard ever.

http://espn.go.com/photo/2012/0612/mag_ap_jordan01_200.jpg

LoneyROY7
08-04-2015, 07:00 PM
Westbrook is easily faster and more explosive than Jordan ever was.

fragokota
08-04-2015, 07:03 PM
The guy is an athletic freak. If he only had the bball iq of an elite pg...

Marchesk
08-04-2015, 07:17 PM

Cue 3Ball in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

LoneyROY7
08-04-2015, 07:23 PM

My body is ready.

MEB2kDeez
08-04-2015, 07:25 PM
Eventually someone had to say it, glad you had the balls :cheers:

SpecialQue
08-04-2015, 07:27 PM

His response would be one post with this: :facepalm

followed by another post where he copy and pastes some bullshit he already typed during a previous argument.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
08-04-2015, 07:30 PM
MJ was bigger and stronger. Russ is faster for sure but with the ball in his hands its a lot closer as is explosiveness if we talkin 80s MJ

JimmyMcAdocious
08-04-2015, 07:37 PM
Overtaken Bron as the best one man fastbreak in the NBA, no?

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
08-04-2015, 07:44 PM
Its prolly Wall TBH
He cant shoot off a fastbreak like Russ but hes much better finishing and more consistent finishing and he draws most of his fouls on one man fastbreaks it feels like hes a beast

hes even more dangerous if he got a body with him he the most complete fastbreak player to me, combo O and D

JohnMax
08-04-2015, 07:45 PM

Westbrook averaged the most fast break points in NBA history this season (http://stats.nba.com/league/player/#!/misc/?sort=PTS_FB&dir=1&Season=2014-15&SeasonType=Regular%20Season) since they started being tracked.

Nash
08-04-2015, 08:07 PM
Mini Lebron. A faster version of Lebron when it comes to drives to the basket.

buddha
08-04-2015, 08:51 PM
should be noted this is coming off knee surgery too

CavaliersFTW
08-04-2015, 09:30 PM
Kinda reminds me of Elgin Baylor how infrequently he dunks and instead decides to gracefully lay it in. When you see film of both of those guys you think clearly they could dunk more often if they wanted too.

LoneyROY7
08-04-2015, 09:31 PM
Kinda reminds me of Elgin Baylor how infrequently he dunks and instead decides to gracefully lay it in. When you see film of both of those guys you think clearly they could dunk more often if they wanted too.

:coleman:

CavaliersFTW
08-04-2015, 09:34 PM
:coleman:
Something displeases you about that comparison?

Rose'sACL
08-04-2015, 09:46 PM
at least till 2009, lebron was faster than westbrook. Westbrook might look faster but lebron takes bigger strides so he doesn't look as fast but go and see how much ground he used to cover in such short time.

Graviton
08-04-2015, 10:21 PM
Every time he is in the paint there are 3+ people around him and he still scores, these big men are either slow as shit or scared to contest. At least foul hard if you just gonna be a spectator. Weak era, 3ball will show us what real defense looks like.

AnaheimLakers24
08-04-2015, 10:33 PM
Hit the genetic lottery. Wouldn't surprise me if he starts to fall off after he turns 30. His game is not going to age well. Since he's so explosive, he doesn't need to dive into his bag of tricks to get things done.
Delete your account. Fake fan

Pointguard
08-04-2015, 10:37 PM
There's a lot of horrible defense in that video but I'm still amazed at his explosive ability. Westbrook is probably the only guy that can average 25ppg sheerly on his explosive ability. Jordan could consistently dunk on great blockers and 7 footers because of his great last step. Like Derrick Rose, Jordan's other athletic abilities, make their drives look much more impressive than Westbrook's drives. Not so sure Westbrook is above 2011 Rose in explosion, either. Westbrook was definitely not as fast or quick as Rose.

ClipperRevival
08-05-2015, 01:07 AM
Delete your account. Fake fan

:biggums:

plowking
08-05-2015, 01:37 AM

If you look through history it generally seems that the hyper athletes are the ones who last the longest.

VeeCee15
08-05-2015, 01:40 AM
westbrook is quicker/faster than lebron james.

ALSO he has a super quick first step...lebron never had. Just more explosive.

warriorfan
08-05-2015, 01:40 AM

I agree, he is going to lose a step and his game is going to fall off a cliff very soon. Polar opposite is Curry who is going to age extremely well since his game is not based on his athleticism at all.

SHAQisGOAT
08-05-2015, 01:43 AM
Beast of an athlete :applause: Most likely the best overall athlete that has ever played the PG position in the NBA.

imdaman99
08-05-2015, 09:24 AM
He's the only reason I watch Thunder games. So much excitement due to explosiveness :applause:

theaussieguy
08-05-2015, 09:32 AM

LMAO, WITH A 36.5 INCH, HAHAHHA

FOOLS, dis guy cant barely get off the ground

SpanishACB
08-05-2015, 10:12 AM

decides? his lay ins are part of a move in which he fakes elevation earlier and then goes over the centers, too fast for anyone, it has nothing to do with deciding, it's basically a way of scoring in traffic, he can't dunk on those, or else he would, all the time. He would dunk his freethrows if he could.

kurple
08-05-2015, 10:42 AM
Westbrooks isnt THAT fast. But he's extremely athletic, reads defenders extremely well and doesnt have fear

Wall and Lawson for example are faster. And AI even faster than that

Dro
08-05-2015, 11:29 AM
Video is so entertaining..I also checked his top dunks of 2014-2015. Ridiculous. Especially that dunk on Josh Smith......which reminds me, Josh Smith should stop trying to block dunks, he never blocks them and always seems to be getting dunked on...

Pointguard
08-05-2015, 03:29 PM
Beast of an athlete :applause: Most likely the best overall athlete that has ever played the PG position in the NBA.
You are the only one saying that.

SugarHill
08-05-2015, 03:31 PM
lmao

Rose ain't more athletic man. Let it gooooo

FreezingTsmoove
08-05-2015, 03:33 PM

No he didnt. Fat genes run HIGH in his family. Look at his brother.

He probably trains all day everyday so having a body that gets fat easily is a great thing for hom

Pointguard
08-05-2015, 03:34 PM
Westbrooks isnt THAT fast. But he's extremely athletic, reads defenders extremely well and doesnt have fear

Wall and Lawson for example are faster. And AI even faster than that
This.

He has gotten quicker than his first two years. Wall might be the fastest I ever seen. AI the quickest. Westbrook might have the most explosion, he's in the conversation.

LoneyROY7
08-05-2015, 03:45 PM
lmao

http://media.giphy.com/media/igR5863TALcSk/giphy.gif

SCdac
08-05-2015, 04:02 PM
I miss Tony Parker being this quick and good of a slasher :( and to top it off, Westbrook can dunk with authority (TP doesn't dunk), easier to avoid getting a drive blocked.. Westbrook is a beast

Clifton
08-05-2015, 04:20 PM
He's an athletic freak, and seems to be durable as well. We can hope.

He has gotten better at timing passes, playing within a team framework, and using his strength in standstill iso's. He will certainly fall off from being what he is, but he'll still be an all-star in his early 30s IMO.

FKAri
08-05-2015, 04:27 PM
This.

He has gotten quicker than his first two years. Wall might be the fastest I ever seen. AI the quickest. Westbrook might have the most explosion, he's in the conversation.

What's the difference?

I can understand that fast refers to top speed
quickness refers to acceleration

If you've already used those terms than wtf does explosion refer to?

Pointguard
08-05-2015, 05:03 PM
What's the difference?

Lebron was explosive but not quick. Explosive is not seeing 1st gear turn to 4 gear. Quick is going thru an obstacle course really fast. Fast is a longer distance and who covers it the fastest. All are very different - espcially if you go to a live game..

Pointguard
08-05-2015, 05:08 PM
lmao

There is another thread that covers this now. Wall is very close to being more athletic than Westbrook. Explosion is one aspect of a 11 categories. Getting carried away with one category is a bit lame.

SugarHill
08-05-2015, 05:46 PM
There is another thread that covers this now. Wall is very close to being more athletic than Westbrook. Explosion is one aspect of a 11 categories. Getting carried away with one category is a bit lame.
What categories? I remember you listing some and 5 of them were derivative of each other and made purely to prop Rose

ClipperRevival
08-05-2015, 06:43 PM
What's the difference?

Speed as in fastest from end to end. Quickness as in covering a small area quickly. Explosion as in once a guy like Westbrook plants his feet on the ground, his body explodes off the ground with such force and suddenness that he reaches the peak of his jump almost instantly.

ClipperRevival
08-05-2015, 06:45 PM
This.

Yeah, Wall is up there for speed. AI definitely quickest ever. And Westbrook is there in the conversation for most explosive.

SHAQisGOAT
08-05-2015, 06:48 PM

:rolleyes:

Lots of people will say the same thing... I wouldn't say by leaps and bounds or even not close at all but, tbh, he's most likely the best overall athlete that has ever played the PG position in the league. HM's to Rose, KJ, Webb, Wall, Oscar, (AI was more of a SG to me)...

SHAQisGOAT
08-05-2015, 06:51 PM
Speed as in fastest from end to end.

When talking about speed from end to end, a dude that has to be in the conversation yet rarely gets mentioned, is Gus Williams.

Pointguard
08-05-2015, 07:47 PM
What categories? I remember you listing some and 5 of them were derivative of each other and made purely to prop Rose
No derivatives at all. You said this once before and I corrected you then.

These are raw athletic attributes. I got from Olympic trials. I just made the post to include Wall. I think he fairs equal or better than Westbrook. Rose definitively above them. Join that thread it would be interesting to see how you break it down. Explosion is a small part of athleticism no matter how you cut it, and Rose has an argument there, and has a just as impressive video by the same guy that did the video in the OP. Amazingly Rose's video is of last year when Rose played limited and not at full strength - limited in doing his favorite shot and favorite move.

This is in the other thread on the front page now. It would be good to see you and ShaqisGOAT in there.

1)Speed
Is a greater distance than quickness. More like 50 feet.

A, B or C
Comments: Provide videos or general comments here.

2)Strength/Size

A, B or C
Comments:

3)Agility
- the power of moving quickly, fluidly and easily; nimbleness:

Comments

4)coordination
the ability to use different parts of the body (upper with lower) together smoothly and efficiently in such task as dribble and shoot with either hand, dribble without looking down. Go hard with the off hand.

Comments:

5)Balance
Shift weight, . Stop/go left to right, adjust in mid air or on the ground, spin and be aligned in their effort..

Comment:

6)Explosion
Here one moment and there the next. Seen much better if you seen a player live. Best measure is how the second and third defenders react.

Comments:

[7)jumping

Comments:

8)Dexterity
Skill in performing tasks, especially with the hands.

Comments: Dribble and left hand are obviously better in favor of Wall and

9)Endurance

Comments
10)Durability

Comments:
11)Quickness
The ability to move quickly between obstacles and change directions very fast. More like in the half court set.

Comments

LoneyROY7
08-05-2015, 07:53 PM
Lebron was explosive but not quick. Explosive is not seeing 1st gear turn to 4 gear. Quick is going thru an obstacle course really fast. Fast is a longer distance and who covers it the fastest. All are very different - espcially if you go to a live game..

You just contradicted yourself. LeBron is known for having an average/not great first step. A quick first step is predicated on one's ability to "explode" and accelerate very rapidly.

ClipperRevival
08-05-2015, 08:05 PM

You just contradicted yourself. LeBron is known for having an average/not great first step. A quick first step is predicated on one's ability to "explode" and accelerate very rapidly.

He didn't. Bron lacks quickness because he's 270 lbs but once he gets going, he picks up speed and once he plants, he explodes off the ground quickly. You can lack quickness and still be explosive. DJ and Howard are two bigs who are explosive off the ground but not quick.

LoneyROY7
08-05-2015, 08:13 PM
He didn't. Bron lacks quickness because he's 270 lbs but once he gets going, he picks up speed and once he plants, he explodes off the ground quickly. You can lack quickness and still be explosive. DJ and Howard are two bigs who are explosive off the ground but not quick.

Damn. I'll take that L. :applause:

Rose'sACL
08-05-2015, 08:17 PM
lebron is very fast any way you want to look at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyBT7xEdnAw

tell me that he wasn't fast. pre-heat lebron was one of the fastest player for any position in the history of the league. may be rose was quicker because he could change direction quickly. Westbrook is certainly not quicker than pre-heat Lebron because Westbrook isn't that great at changing direction like rose.

ClipperRevival
08-05-2015, 08:28 PM
lebron is very fast any way you want to look at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyBT7xEdnAw

tell me that he wasn't fast. pre-heat lebron was one of the fastest player for any position in the history of the league. may be rose was quicker because he could change direction quickly. Westbrook is certainly not quicker than pre-heat Lebron because Westbrook isn't that great at changing direction like rose.

I never said he wasn't fast. But WB is clearly quicker than Bron as he weighs about 60 lbs less and has lighter feet. Bron is a strider. Meaning he needs a few steps to get up to speed but once he does, he's extremely fast and once he plants to jump, he is very explosive off the ground.

Pointguard
08-05-2015, 09:35 PM

No its not at all. You have totally mixed the concepts up because you haven't broken them down. If a player has a bad second step, the first step he has no explosion at all - and this is more common than you think. Jordan's explosion was his last step - nothing to do with his first step. Lebron's speed has everything to do with his great third and fourth steps as he can catch people far ahead of him.

The dunk Rose does here is pure explosion. Rose started 45 feet out with Durant, Westbrook and Harden only one step outside of the lane. Before they could react or even commit, Rose is tomahawking a dunk on them. They have no response in them because they couldn't believe he could get their that quick. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MShYmCftBgU. First step and second step are not applicable here at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e04uyfgVgjY in these first two dunks Rose sees the fastest player in the league in pursuit and uses both speed and explosion to beat him. The last dunk there is pure explosion.

FKAri
08-05-2015, 10:34 PM

So basically acceleration...?

Speed as in fastest from end to end. Quickness as in covering a small area quickly. Explosion as in once a guy like Westbrook plants his feet on the ground, his body explodes off the ground with such force and suddenness that he reaches the peak of his jump almost instantly.

I can agree with this. I always connected explosiveness to leaping ability more than footspeed.

JohnMax
08-05-2015, 11:01 PM
Westbrook's first step has never been amazing, it's his second and third step when he picks up momentum that makes him near impossible to stop.