PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Love officially re-signs with the Cavaliers

Fudge
07-01-2015, 02:32 PM
:banana:

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/kevin-love-cavaliers-unfinished-business/

I’m going back to Cleveland.

After Game 1 of the NBA Finals, that’s when it really struck me. Sitting on the sidelines, I never wanted to play in a game more than that one. I had dreamed of playing in the NBA Finals and I just wanted to help my guys win. I couldn’t have been prouder of them as they poured their blood, sweat and tears onto the court.

Yeah, of course I’ve heard the free agency rumors. But at the end of the day, and after meeting with my teammates (it turns out pools are great meeting places) and with the front office, it was clear Cleveland was the place for me. We’re all on the same page and we’re all in. We have unfinished business and now it’s time to get back to work.

Brian Windhorst ‏@WindhorstESPN 4m4 minutes ago
Kevin Love will accept a five-year, $110 million contract extension with the Cavs according to sources

IncarceratedBob
07-01-2015, 02:33 PM
he signed a 1 year max deal, for those wondering

ArbitraryWater
07-01-2015, 02:34 PM

take a big guess why

DMAVS41
07-01-2015, 02:34 PM

Windhorst reporting otherwise.

Brian Windhorst ‏@WindhorstESPN 2m2 minutes ago
Kevin Love will accept a five-year, $110 million contract extension with the Cavs according to sources

Shade8780
07-01-2015, 02:36 PM
Settling for a career 'LeBron's bitch' :facepalm

Good for him, I guess.

Nash
can't wait to see Thompson and Love together during the playoffs.

nba_55
Is anyone going to LA? :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

warriorfan
Cavs sign a whiny stat padder with no heart...congrats

Cocaine80s
07-01-2015, 02:37 PM
Cavs about to 3 peat

Cocaine80s
Cavs sign a whiny stat padder with no heart...congrats
The same one that frequently torches your team

ArbitraryWater
2016: Cavs re-peat :bowdown:

TheMarkMadsen
07-01-2015, 02:38 PM
Settling for a career 'LeBron's bitch' :facepalm

Good for him, I guess.

yupp.. if they don't make it back to the finals it'll be "Love's fault"

even if they win he won't get any credit

Beastmode88
07-01-2015, 02:38 PM
Cavs about to 3 peat

In before you lose 3000 dollars.

nba_55
07-01-2015, 02:39 PM

Somebody is mad :roll: :roll: :roll:

MellowYellow
07-01-2015, 02:39 PM
keep wasting that money cleveland! :rockon: :rockon:

Fudge
07-01-2015, 02:40 PM
LeBron family stays winning.

LeBron James stays winning.

Cleveland stays winning.

Thunder stay winning.

Fudge stays winning.

Cavs vs Thunder Finals incoming.

warriorfan
The same one that frequently torches your team

in the regular season for empty stats when it doesn't matter

thanks for proving my point :lol

Bernkastel
Why go and lose with Bean when you can win a ring with LeBeta? Smart move by Love.

Mr. Jabbar
07-01-2015, 02:41 PM
2/7

Cocaine80s
07-01-2015, 02:41 PM
in the regular season for empty stats when it doesn't matter

thanks for proving my point :lol
Lol if Durant didn't get injured true warriros wouldn't have even made the finals :oldlol:

Fudge
07-01-2015, 02:42 PM
Lol if Durant didn't get injured true warriros wouldn't have even made it past the first round :oldlol:
Truuuuuuu :lol

Trollsmasher
07-01-2015, 02:42 PM
long term deal?

literally the best thing that could've happened

Lakers fans on a suicide watch:roll:

GIF REACTION
07-01-2015, 02:44 PM
warriors are LITERALLY shitting their pants.

Healthy OKC?

Healthy Cavs?

They have NO chance. None. Zilch. Zero. Gonzo!!!!

warriorfan
07-01-2015, 02:47 PM
LeVirgin family melting down cause they know they fucced up signing the soft stat padding white boy :roll: :roll: :roll:

DMAVS41
07-01-2015, 02:50 PM
If teams are healthy in the playoffs...this is going to be insane.

Fudge
07-01-2015, 02:51 PM
warriors are LITERALLY shitting their pants.

Healthy OKC?

Healthy Cavs?

They have NO chance. None. Zilch. Zero. Gonzo!!!!
They scurred. :oldlol: :oldlol:

Raymone
07-01-2015, 02:51 PM
It would be funny if LeBron decides to explore free agency at the last minute after convincing Love to stay.

TheMarkMadsen
07-01-2015, 02:58 PM

except for in June

DukeDelonte13
07-01-2015, 02:59 PM
nice.

MP.Trey
07-01-2015, 03:16 PM
Love is so gone. :roll:

Oh wait... :roll:

Nash
07-01-2015, 03:19 PM

Cleveland stays winning.

Thunder stay winning.

Fudge stays winning.

Fudge :applause: :applause: honorable man

RedBlackAttack
07-01-2015, 03:21 PM
The news couldn't be any better. Five years just before the cap is set to explode? Yes please.

I can sleep now.

DMAVS41
07-01-2015, 03:23 PM
The news couldn't be any better. Five years just before the cap is set to explode? Yes please.

I can sleep now.

Congrats man. Best news possible for you on TT and Love. Great stuff.

Can't wait to see who you guys get with the Haywood contract.

GIF REACTION
07-01-2015, 03:25 PM

I can sleep now.
What else do the Cavs need to do? What is the order on their priority list... I'd assume Shump is priority 1 now...

Derka
07-01-2015, 03:25 PM
Give it up for Cleveland going all out to keep the band together. As long as they stay healthy, they've got the East locked up as of now.

RedBlackAttack
07-01-2015, 04:11 PM
Congrats man. Best news possible for you on TT and Love. Great stuff.

Can't wait to see who you guys get with the Haywood contract.
Maybe the best news of all is that we won't be on the free agency hot seat again for awhile. If you recall, all last season we heard that Kyrie was on his way out and, at best, he was going to sign a deal with an early opt out built in. Then, it became the LeBron circus.

Then, all this year, it was Love that was speculated to leave, with all the body language experts breaking down every grin and frown.

Just not having to deal with that stuff is a win by itself.

As for the Haywood contract, I'm hoping it gets more valuable as the big names start to sign and teams begin deciding what their cap status is going to look like.

This is a great day for Cavs fans though. It is one thing for LeBron to come back home, which could be brushed off as an anomaly and, as great as Kyrie signing was, guys coming off their rookie deals almost never leave when offered the max.

This is a different one. Love was a top free agent with options and he wasted no time coming back.

RedBlackAttack
07-01-2015, 04:12 PM
What else do the Cavs need to do? What is the order on their priority list... I'd assume Shump is priority 1 now...
Shump is next on the list for sure, followed by figuring out what to do with the Haywood contract.

Kvnzhangyay
07-01-2015, 04:21 PM
thats an insanely high quality picture

Magic 32
07-01-2015, 04:24 PM

Cleveland stays winning.

Thunder stay winning.

Fudge stays winning.

Of course they are.

There is no basketball games in July.

TylerOO
07-01-2015, 04:45 PM
This. Is. Amazing.

Guaranteed title if big 3 are playing. Wow.

J Shuttlesworth
07-01-2015, 05:10 PM
Maybe the best news of all is that we won't be on the free agency hot seat again for awhile. If you recall, all last season we heard that Kyrie was on his way out and, at best, he was going to sign a deal with an early opt out built in. Then, it became the LeBron circus.

Then, all this year, it was Love that was speculated to leave, with all the body language experts breaking down every grin and frown.

Just not having to deal with that stuff is a win by itself.

As for the Haywood contract, I'm hoping it gets more valuable as the big names start to sign and teams begin deciding what their cap status is going to look like.

This is a great day for Cavs fans though. It is one thing for LeBron to come back home, which could be brushed off as an anomaly and, as great as Kyrie signing was, guys coming off their rookie deals almost never leave when offered the max.

This is a different one. Love was a top free agent with options and he wasted no time coming back.
Is there a 1 year opt out clause on his contract?

Jailblazers7
07-01-2015, 05:13 PM
From the perspective of Love and his agent, why opt out and sign long term tho? Would have made more sense to play out the contract and hit FA when the cap explodes. Maybe the shoulder injury made him a little wary of the risk of passing up a long-term deal but I still kinda don't get it.

aj1987
07-01-2015, 05:32 PM

Just like Gasol in '09 and '10.

Their defense is going to horrendous.

navy
07-01-2015, 05:49 PM
From the perspective of Love and his agent, why opt out and sign long term tho? Would have made more sense to play out the contract and hit FA when the cap explodes. Maybe the shoulder injury made him a little wary of the risk of passing up a long-term deal but I still kinda don't get it.
Came back to say this. What was Love and his agent thinking?

This is the time to cash in. I know Love is injury prone, but the Cavs were gonna give him whatever the fvck he wanted.

Dwayne Wade is doing that shit. I think he gets an outrageous one year deal for next season and then after the cap jump goes back to regular dollars.

Cavs are happy as they saved dollars I guess. But Love missed out.

FatComputerNerd
07-01-2015, 06:11 PM
Don't worry guys (non-cavs fans).

Cleveland curse will strike us again somehow. We are the definition of Murphy's Law.

dubeta
07-01-2015, 06:13 PM
Don't worry guys (non-cavs fans).

Cleveland curse will strike us again somehow. We are the definition of Murphy's Law.

Don't worry, we have LeVoodoo to counter it.

RedBlackAttack
07-01-2015, 06:43 PM
Is there a 1 year opt out clause on his contract?
The details haven't been released yet, but ... no.

RedBlackAttack
07-01-2015, 06:49 PM
Came back to say this. What was Love and his agent thinking?

This is the time to cash in. I know Love is injury prone, but the Cavs were gonna give him whatever the fvck he wanted.

Dwayne Wade is doing that shit. I think he gets an outrageous one year deal for next season and then after the cap jump goes back to regular dollars.

Cavs are happy as they saved dollars I guess. But Love missed out.
Dwyane Wade is the perfect example of why not to do that. He signed a 1+1 contract last season while LeBron was still in the fold and the Heat run was still in progress, assuming everything was static and nothing changes year to year.

It has led to he and the Heat on the outs because he thinks he is worth more than they do.

When a team is willing to offer you the max and your name is not LeBron James, it might be a good idea to seriously consider taking it. You're guaranteed nothing in this league, unless it is in writing.

Now, Love has a five-year $110 million contract with his name on it and he'll theoretically be competing for championships for the foreseeable future.

Going the way of LeBron and assuming injury and production will remain the same? No guarantees.

Also, I truly believe he was sick of the drama. He isn't a guy who likes being in the spotlight and being constantly hounded. Now, it's over. No more questions about whether he is happy or not. No more ESPN stories on potential suitors.

He can focus on basketball. And, I think he'll play better because of it.

TheMarkMadsen
07-01-2015, 08:23 PM
Just like Gasol in '09 and '10.

Their defense is going to horrendous.

uhmm no..

Gasol got tons of praise... do you not post on ISH..?

"robbed of FMVP"

Gasol: 14/15/4

Kobe: 35/6/6

= wash

and even after shitting the bed in the 08 finals, Kobe still took the blame

:facepalm :wtf:

Jailblazers7
07-01-2015, 08:57 PM
Dwyane Wade is the perfect example of why not to do that. He signed a 1+1 contract last season while LeBron was still in the fold and the Heat run was still in progress, assuming everything was static and nothing changes year to year.

It has led to he and the Heat on the outs because he thinks he is worth more than they do.

When a team is willing to offer you the max and your name is not LeBron James, it might be a good idea to seriously consider taking it. You're guaranteed nothing in this league, unless it is in writing.

Now, Love has a five-year $110 million contract with his name on it and he'll theoretically be competing for championships for the foreseeable future.

Going the way of LeBron and assuming injury and production will remain the same? No guarantees.

Also, I truly believe he was sick of the drama. He isn't a guy who likes being in the spotlight and being constantly hounded. Now, it's over. No more questions about whether he is happy or not. No more ESPN stories on potential suitors.

He can focus on basketball. And, I think he'll play better because of it.

I honestly think I buy the "end the drama" storyline the most. If it was about the money, then he'd take out insurance and risk it. He seems like a REALLY low key guy who just wants to be part of the team. Sign a deal, say unfinished business, and focus on the game for once. Plus he doesn't have to hear as much about the "LeBron doesn't like him" BS.

sixer6ad
07-01-2015, 10:31 PM
Clevelanders NEVER assume days like today (Love, Thompson, Shumpert) will guarantee anything, but it does put a spotlight on one: Things happen in this league without anyone knowing it or anyone thinking it will happen.

"Nobody wants to come to Cleveland."
"Love and LeBron don't get along."
"Love wants his stats."
"LeBron is a prima donna and others can't stand it."
blah, blah, blah, blah.

I know we talk and write for fun, but it's always joyful when the media and most basketball fans get it wrong. Just amazing -- this team we are putting together. There's really just two things remaining: Backup point guard and younger on the bench.

Every game will be sold out. It's top 5 loudest buildings in the league. People starving for a title.

Nobody wants to come to Cleveland...

oh the horror
07-01-2015, 10:35 PM
Am I the only person that knew Kevin would resign with them? Where else would he go? This is literally his BEST opportunity for a ring and he's getting paid. He'd be the biggest shmuck to leave this situation :oldlol:

RedBlackAttack
07-02-2015, 12:46 AM
Am I the only person that knew Kevin would resign with them? Where else would he go? This is literally his BEST opportunity for a ring and he's getting paid. He'd be the biggest shmuck to leave this situation :oldlol:
I don't think the surprise is that he came back. I think a lot of people are stunned that he opted for the five-year max deal the summer before the cap explodes. Everyone just assumed that all NBA players would follow LeBron's lead.

Kevin Love is now secured on a contract that, injuries not withstanding, should look like a bargain a few years from now.

In fact, for all of the money Dan Gilbert has spent today (and more is coming), this was the summer to do it. Locking these guys in now will prevent potential insane bidding wars in a couple of years that could easily soar into the $20m+/year range.

SpecialQue
07-02-2015, 12:49 AM

I think paranoid Lebron stans and over-enthusiastic haters were both being pessimistic about him re-signing. Those giving it two seconds of thought knew he wasn't going to go anywhere else.

Jailblazers7
07-02-2015, 12:50 AM
Lillard got 120
Dragic got 90

Love should def look cheap

ROCSteady
07-02-2015, 01:29 AM
Although CLE looks stacked on paper, winning the Ball is all that matters.

Let's see how great Love's contract looks in the playoffs when he's easting possessions with a bad shooting night.

We all know he isn't the greatest all around basketball player. He needs the jumper to go otherwise he's a more fluid David Lee lol

keep-itreal
07-02-2015, 01:31 AM
beta as ****, enjoy getting clowned by Lebron the next 5 years

RedBlackAttack
07-02-2015, 01:36 AM
Although CLE looks stacked on paper, winning the Ball is all that matters.

Let's see how great Love's contract looks in the playoffs when he's easting possessions with a bad shooting night.

We all know he isn't the greatest all around basketball player. He needs the jumper to go otherwise he's a more fluid David Lee lol
Ok... that's the second time in 48 hours I've seen someone on this site compare Kevin Love to David Lee. I think some people need to step away from their keyboards.

There isn't one aspect of the game Lee is better than Love in... not one. And Love is considerably better in several facets.

Love is one of the best passing bigs in the league. He can operate from the elbow, the low post or the high post. He has range extending to the three-point line. He is an elite rebounder.

He's also not even in the same stratosphere with Lee when it comes to being a defensive liability. In fact, the Cavs were better this year post-Mozgov trade in lineups that featured Kevin Love than ones where he was on the bench.

He is an All-Star... a freaking Olympian. And, that guy's contract is going to look fantastic in a year or two when similar guys are signing record deals.

There is no downside to this contract if you're a Cavs fan.

Jailblazers7
07-02-2015, 01:46 AM
Love would have increased the Cavs offensive option 4-5x in the GS series. There is now way Love isn't a good sign. LeBron went hog made because his team sucked which wasn't anticipated. I think he'd be perfect for a more pass happy SA style game if he ever consented.

RedBlackAttack
07-02-2015, 01:57 AM
Love would have increased the Cavs offensive option 4-5x in the GS series. There is now way Love isn't a good sign. LeBron went hog made because his team sucked which wasn't anticipated. I think he'd be perfect for a more pass happy SA style game if he ever consented.
Ah, yeah... the Warriors might be a little less giddy about trotting Iggy and Green out there as their primary frontcourt if the Cavs could counter with a Love/Thompson/LBJ/Varejao "small ball" rotation. Instead, we had to play James freaking Jones for 28 minutes in the close-out game... or run JR Smith at the SF and have Delly playing 35-40 minutes a night. And LeBron couldn't rest... ever.

Something tells me the strategy Golden State used to win the title would have to be completely scrapped if facing a healthy Love/Irving/Varejao.

Is it me, or have people forgotten how good Kevin Love is at basketball?

Jailblazers7
07-02-2015, 02:04 AM
Yeah, people underestimate Love. Especially because Bosh didn't even find his ideal fit until year 2. I think now that Kyrie, Lebron, and Love all know that they're there long term it will be much easier to gel.

But get serious, Andy will never be part of a real lin up now. He's gonna be a 15 min guy max from now on. Too old too fragile.

RedBlackAttack
07-02-2015, 02:12 AM
Yeah, people underestimate Love. Especially because Bosh didn't even find his ideal fit until year 2. I think now that Kyrie, Lebron, and Love all know that they're there long term it will be much easier to gel.

But get serious, Andy will never be part of a real lin up now. He's gonna be a 15 min guy max from now on. Too old too fragile.
Yeah, but 15 minutes on a team with this kind of talent is still a nice piece to have. And, he's also insurance if something were to happen to any one of Love, Mozgov or Tristan. We could've definitely used Andy against the Warriors in the Finals, that's for sure.

Today's league is all about versatility and having different lineups for different situations, especially come playoff time. Varejao is just one more tool for Blatt to use.

And I actually think the fact that he'll be playing less minutes in the regular season will be of great benefit for him. He's too injury prone to be playing 25-30 minutes a night, as he was as a starter before the injury this year.

Now, they can monitor his minutes more closely. Hey man, he averaged 10/7 on 56% FG before his injury... he can still play. Just more of a fourth big on a great team now.

Jailblazers7
07-02-2015, 02:16 AM
Totally agree. Andy needs to wind down. The big piece missing was Kyrie away in that series. JR choked and Delly/Shump weren't good enough. They needed another perimeter guy who could actually do something within the game of basketball.

The Cavs have a good front line and a solid backcourt. If healthy they are the title favorite. Unfortunately, Kyrie and Love might be big ifs.

Sharmer
07-02-2015, 02:56 AM
Ah, yeah... the Warriors might be a little less giddy about trotting Iggy and Green out there as their primary frontcourt if the Cavs could counter with a Love/Thompson/LBJ/Varejao "small ball" rotation. Instead, we had to play James freaking Jones for 28 minutes in the close-out game... or run JR Smith at the SF and have Delly playing 35-40 minutes a night. And LeBron couldn't rest... ever.

Something tells me the strategy Golden State used to win the title would have to be completely scrapped if facing a healthy Love/Irving/Varejao.

Is it me, or have people forgotten how good Kevin Love is at basketball?

This forum has a low basketball IQ. Now I

coin24
07-02-2015, 03:36 AM
If the cavs add another decent player to that core if healthy they're a lock for the finals for the next 5 years..
Damn the east is pathetic..

raprap
07-02-2015, 03:45 AM
If the cavs add another decent player to that core if healthy they're a lock for the finals for the next 5 years..
Damn the east is pathetic..
LeBron could end up 2/11 :eek: