PDA

View Full Version : Honestly, for those who knew about the hype of LeBron in 2003...

NBAplayoffs2001
06-15-2015, 07:11 PM
did you think he would turn out as good as he did?

Did you think he would be a lock for the Hall of Fame?

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/draft/2003-small-forwards.htm

Look at the role projection of Carmelo and LeBron. Crazy how accurate they were :applause:

Rake2204
06-15-2015, 07:16 PM
Nope. I remember the hype very well (they showed his high school highlights on Sportscenter regularly) and I thought he could be great but I didn't buy the hype in full because he was playing against high schoolers. No doubt I was intrigued though.

I just about bought in during his preseason debut. He played my Pistons and though he was raw, he was doing some things as a 6'8'' 18-year-old rookie point guard that just shouldn't be done. Bill Laimbeer is historically very biased toward the Pistons and rough on the unproven and up-and-comers. His half-squeal on James' behind-the-back dime to Zydrunas just about summed it up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Kl0Z-6HLlw

NBAplayoffs2001
06-15-2015, 07:21 PM
Nope. I remember the hype very well (they showed his high school highlights on Sportscenter regularly) and I thought he could be great but I didn't buy the hype in full because he was playing against high schoolers. No doubt I was intrigued though.

I just about bought in during his preseason debut. He played my Pistons and though he was raw, he was doing some things as a 6'8'' 18-year-old rookie point guard that just shouldn't be done. Bill Laimbeer is historically very biased toward the Pistons and rough on the unproven and up-and-comers. His half-squeal on James' behind-the-back dime to Zydrunas just about summed it up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Kl0Z-6HLlw

You think he still goes #1 in Anthony Davis draft or any of the recent "top heavy" drafts?

NBAplayoffs2001
06-15-2015, 07:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVme5Qew7T4&feature=iv&src_vid=oq8b19sktHQ&annotation_id=annotation_1682593731

Rake2204
06-15-2015, 07:25 PM
You think he still goes #1 in Anthony Davis draft or any of the recent "top heavy" drafts?Yes. James caught zero people by surprise. He was incredibly hyped with many leaving no doubt that he'd be an all-time great (that link you shared is a good example). I just wondered at the time if it was all for real. Turns out it was. I'm not sure there's been another prospect since with that much certainty and hype.

The crazy thing is, despite the seemingly insurmountable amount of expectations, James surpassed most of them. The company line by 2006 and 2007 amongst commentary teams was, "It's amazing that this guy had so much hype, and still managed to surpass it."

Droid101
06-15-2015, 07:26 PM
I thought he'd be better. I bought a damn LeBron jersey before he set foot on an NBA court, lol.

So much for expectations.

pauk
06-15-2015, 07:27 PM
COMPARATIVE UPSIDE: Jamal Mashburn

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/bp.gif

NBAplayoffs2001
06-15-2015, 07:31 PM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/bp.gif

Mashburn was nasty in the 2001 playoffs. I don't think the comparison was too absurd at the time. But ROLE PROJECTION: Future Hall of Famer made me laugh. They made a huge claim that ended up being true.

Rake2204
06-15-2015, 07:32 PM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/bp.gifHaha, in his defense, that was the third name following Magic Johnson and Scottie Pippen... and Mash had been absolutely balling that year.

NBAplayoffs2001
06-15-2015, 07:32 PM
Yes. James caught zero people by surprise. He was incredibly hyped with many leaving no doubt that he'd be an all-time great (that link you shared is a good example). I just wondered at the time if it was all for real. Turns out it was. I'm not sure there's been another prospect since with that much certainty and hype.

The crazy thing is, despite the seemingly insurmountable amount of expectations, James surpassed most of them. The company line by 2006 and 2007 amongst commentary teams was, "It's amazing that this guy had so much hype, and still managed to surpass it."

I personally liked pre-Heat LeBron a lot. To an extent, I can't even imagine if LeBron grew up in a big market city like NYC and ended up on a big market team as a rook.

I remember for me LeBron impressed me more by winning all 3 MVPs in all the high school all star games and destroying Ariza's high school team from LA with 52 points.

NBAplayoffs2001
06-15-2015, 07:42 PM
Haha, in his defense, that was the third name following Magic Johnson and Scottie Pippen... and Mash had been absolutely balling that year.

Absolute shame he couldn't stay healthy and only had only 1 All Star bid. Apparently he's doing very well for himself now post-NBA in terms of his businesses.

Hey Yo
06-15-2015, 07:49 PM
I think some thought that his rookie year was kind of a fluke since he was playing on a losing team (lots of chances for garbage rebounds, assists etc..) but as the years went on he clearly showed it was no fluke, considering the load he carried.

Cavs drafted no higher than 10th (Luke Jackson, bust) after James' rookie season.

NBAplayoffs2001
06-15-2015, 07:52 PM
I think some thought that his rookie year was kind of a fluke since he was playing on a losing team (lots of chances for garbage rebounds, assists etc..) but as the years went on he clearly showed it was no fluke, considering the load he carried.

Cavs drafted no higher than 10th (Luke Jackson, bust) after James' rookie season.

I remember reading somewhere, people weren't expecting him to do much better than Tracy McGrady/Kobe Bryant numbers as rookies. But other sources I have read said something along the lines of a GM saying he is as talented as McGrady was in high school but he has a NBA body so he could contribute faster to the NBA. Forgot where I read it online so I can't really post a link.

Bandito
06-15-2015, 07:53 PM
Mashburn was a beast. So bad he didnt last long, he was a great talent.

Kblaze8855
06-15-2015, 08:08 PM
2002 ISH topic on Lebron:

http://web.archive.org/web/20031027091711/pub102.ezboard.com/finsidehoopsfrm41.showMessage?topicID=4.topic

Some of those guys still around. I was around but not in that topic.

I remember after one summer league game we all thought he would be terrible and I got clowned for predicting he could do 11-15/5/5 as a rookie. I was told his shot was too broken to score double digits right away.

SugarHill
06-15-2015, 08:13 PM
You think he still goes #1 in Anthony Davis draft or any of the recent "top heavy" drafts?
Without question.

Hey Yo
06-15-2015, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the link, Blaze

"My only gripe with LEBRON is that from the dunks i have seen etc. HE is not really that athletic. NOt sure if he can do well in the pros..hope he does though"

Hey Yo
06-15-2015, 08:21 PM
Another quote from iSH in 2002.

He is that good

There is no hype about Lebron. He really is that good. If he "busts" it will because he gets injured loses interest or something or another. But he is better than 90% of NBA players right now. It's just that simple there is no denying it, accept it. It is the truth. He is a creator. His passing skill is really what puts him ahead of other players.

There are many players who are gifted offensively but his court vision instroduces a totally new dimension to his game. Let it not go unsaid that his defense is also another strength. I will say that no player is perfect but he is good and his flaws are minimal. At his size 6'7 1/2", and weight 238 he is already more of a phsyical presence than many NBA 2 and 3 guards.

NBAplayoffs2001
06-15-2015, 08:26 PM
His only question mark was his jumper and if I remember correctly he still shot about 50/38/71 in his senior year.

1987_Lakers
06-15-2015, 08:34 PM
2002 ISH topic on Lebron:

http://web.archive.org/web/20031027091711/pub102.ezboard.com/finsidehoopsfrm41.showMessage?topicID=4.topic

Some of those guys still around. I was around but not in that topic.

I remember after one summer league game we all thought he would be terrible and I got clowned for predicting he could do 11-15/5/5 as a rookie. I was told his shot was too broken to score double digits right away.

Man, that thread was made when LeBron still had another year in High School.:oldlol:

I remember the hype, LeBron was talked about everywhere. I haven't seen a player get so much hype since. Believe it or not Greg Oden comes in at #2 in terms of hype in the last 12-13 years.

NBAplayoffs2001
06-15-2015, 08:36 PM
Man, that thread was made when LeBron still had another year in High School.:oldlol:

I remember the hype, LeBron was talked about everywhere. I haven't seen a player get so much hype since. Believe it or not Greg Oden comes in at #2 in terms of hype in the last 12-13 years.
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/233818/Ford-Ranks-Top-25-Prospects-Between-2000-2014

This is how Chad Ford ranks the past 14 years of prospects.

Kind of surprised how low Beasley is though.

1987_Lakers
06-15-2015, 08:42 PM
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/233818/Ford-Ranks-Top-25-Prospects-Between-2000-2014

This is how Chad Ford ranks the past 14 years of prospects.

Kind of surprised how low Beasley is though.

Ya, not surprised to see Oden at #2, I remember people were labeling him as the next Bill Russell.

KevinNYC
06-15-2015, 08:52 PM
did you think he would turn out as good as he did?

Did you think he would be a lock for the Hall of Fame? Lock means Longevity, so I didn't know about that, but I knew from the moment I saw him play that he would be one of the greats.

I remember they put a high school game of his on TV and I thought the hype was overblown and ridiculous. I figured he would be an athletic freak, but I was shocked when I first saw him play that he had a very mature game. He had a feel for the game, great court vision and he easily could scored 75 points that game, but you could see he wanted his whole team involved. Frankly, before I saw him, based on his hype I thought jordanesque, but seeing him play reminded me more of Magic Johnson.

mateoboz
06-15-2015, 09:40 PM
The hype built up to a point where I thought there was no possible way for him to live up to it. When he signed the massive shoe deal before playing a single game in the league, I began to think the deck was stacked against him and he was being set up to be remembered as a bust. I know this is ISH, so this next statement is contrary to many peoples beliefs, but I honestly believe this kid surpassed the hype. He'll certainly never be the GOAT, but potentially retiring with well over 30,000 points and being considered a top 5 player of all time is nothing to hang your head over and doesn't happen every day. I'm not a huge LeBron guy, but you can't deny his skill set and what he's achieved in this league. He has a long way to go, too. Definitely lived up to the hype.

KevinNYC
06-15-2015, 09:52 PM
Lock means Longevity, so I didn't know about that, but I knew from the moment I saw him play that he would be one of the greats.

I remember they put a high school game of his on TV and I thought the hype was overblown and ridiculous. I figured he would be an athletic freak, but I was shocked when I first saw him play that he had a very mature game. He had a feel for the game, great court vision and he easily could scored 75 points that game, but you could see he wanted his whole team involved. Frankly, before I saw him, based on his hype I thought Jordanesque, but seeing him play reminded me more of Magic Johnson.

LeBron is a very, very sweet player. I've seen him play once before and he just dominated the game. The thing is, I don't even think he was really trying, and he still scored 22 points. I have tickets to see him play in two games later on this year. You know that game against Oak Hill Academy that will be on ESPN2?This quote is from that old thread, this must of have been the game I saq him play. I remember being very surprised that the hype was justified.

Fallen Angel
06-15-2015, 09:56 PM
A very popular sitcom called My Wife and Kids aired around LeBron's rookie to early years in the league and they hyped him as the phenom on multiple occasions.

Imagine that, a popular sitcom on a major network hyping a teenage phenom before he even made the noise in the playoffs.

HomieWeMajor
06-15-2015, 10:02 PM
I remember getting that Blue and grey Lebron basketball for my 3rd birthday. :bowdown:

LikeABosh
06-15-2015, 10:08 PM
Boris Diaw- "maybe the best athlete in the draft" :biggums:

NBAplayoffs2001
06-15-2015, 10:08 PM
Absolutely absurd game vs Oak Hill which was known to be a huge powerhouse basketball school.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZJcelTV-iU

I'm also not the biggest LeBron fan but his talent at 18 in high school is possibly GOAT :bowdown:

NBAplayoffs2001
06-15-2015, 10:10 PM
Boria Diaw- "maybe be the best athlete in the draft" :biggums:

That made me laugh too :oldlol:

Inferno
06-15-2015, 10:34 PM
I thought he'd be better. I bought a damn LeBron jersey before he set foot on an NBA court, lol.

So much for expectations.

Better than Kobe isn't enough for you? :biggums:

ArbitraryWater
06-15-2015, 10:36 PM
Better than Kobe isn't enough for you? :biggums:

:lol that had to hurt

ArbitraryWater
06-15-2015, 10:37 PM
Boris Diaw- "maybe the best athlete in the draft" :biggums:

and if you read the thread posted by Kblaze, posters agreed on Bron not being that special athletically :biggums:

FKAri
06-15-2015, 10:42 PM
and if you read the thread posted by Kblaze, posters agreed on Bron not being that special athletically :biggums:

If you only watched Lebron on tv and the only thing you watched was him beating people off the dribble. He wouldn't look impressive even at 18. Why? Because youre not realizing that this guy whos playing like a guard is actually 6-8 235.

SamuraiSWISH
06-15-2015, 11:13 PM
Yes I knew he would be great. He was simply the greatest, most mature, balanced and refined HS player I had ever seen. He had a man's body by 17. Not like KG, Kobe, and McGrady who had to grow into it. Truly a grown man's body. With absurd athleticism. The handle and passing ability at his size ... plus the willingness to use it gave him a dimension the generation of stars just previous to him lacked. He had tremendous hype and from his very first game as a college aged freshman he delivered against a pretty good Sacramento team. From there all that had to be developed basketball wise was a consistent J and defense. Did I think he would be top ten or top five, let alone so quickly? No. But I knew he'd be great.