PDA

View Full Version : Kyrie: fractured left kneecap (out for season)

The_Pharcyde
06-05-2015, 05:26 PM
Out 3-4 months
Will require surgery

Sucks to see....

Link: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=17755

sdot_thadon
06-05-2015, 05:27 PM
Damn that's tough.

J Shuttlesworth
06-05-2015, 05:27 PM
Damn. Bummer.

Get better Kyrie

Fudge
06-05-2015, 05:29 PM
****!

Golden State getting bailed out yet AGAIN.

Djsonny
06-05-2015, 05:33 PM
I feel its kind of on management, he should've been restricted for less mins.

edrick
06-05-2015, 05:33 PM
Wait.. i thought lebron carried this team to the finals.. i thought that was the toughest thing ever to do.. how is this any different than facing the great 60 win atlanta hawks without kyrie all series???????

Because you and other clowns, are always quick to point out that the Bulls always choke, and the Hawks are trash.

The Warriors have more depth than any other team in the NBA. The Cavs had statistically the worst bench during the regular season. That was with Love and Kyrie playing most games. Now the bench has... JR.. and... JR.

nzahir
06-05-2015, 05:34 PM
****ING PISSED AF RN!
Poor kyrie, get better young blood

MP.Trey
06-05-2015, 05:35 PM
I'm so bummed out right now. Sad to say we have no chance without him.

Milbuck
06-05-2015, 05:36 PM
:facepalm

kennethgriffin
06-05-2015, 05:47 PM
Because you and other clowns, are always quick to point out that the Bulls always choke, and the Hawks are trash.

The Warriors have more depth than any other team in the NBA. The Cavs had statistically the worst bench during the regular season. That was with Love and Kyrie playing most games. Now the bench has... JR.. and... JR.

So we were right?

Well thankyou for finally admitting it

The east does suck shit. The hawks and bulls are fake with inflated records. And lebron DOESNT belong in the finals.. and he never did belong there.. lucking out one series is always entirely possible. Which makes any title from an eastern team sketchy.. they have a free ticket to the finals. And anything can happen

Like what if the 2006 lakers had a free trip to the finals... kobe/kwame/smush took a 2nd seed to 7 games. Never know

So yeah... the warriors are obviously better. Thats why i bet my account on them winning the finals

RoseCity07
06-05-2015, 05:48 PM
Watch how Curry plays confidently all the rest of the series. He wasn't doing sh*t before Kyrie got hurt.

DFish24
06-05-2015, 05:50 PM
Damn, hope he gets better. Don't like the Cavs but never want to see anyone get hurt.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
06-05-2015, 05:55 PM
According to plowking cavs will play better now w/ delladova starting

juju151111
06-05-2015, 05:58 PM
Watch how Curry plays confidently all the rest of the series. He wasn't doing sh*t before Kyrie got hurt.
Yes he was making clutch shots.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
06-05-2015, 06:01 PM
Aside from making shots throughout the second half?

On a side note, I may actually be pulling for Bran now. Ain't that some shit.. :biggums:

Out_In_Utah
06-05-2015, 06:01 PM
That is not good. So was this completely separate to the original injury?

Meticode
06-05-2015, 06:06 PM
I'm still optimistic and will remain that way unless we lose game 2.

I feel bad for Irving. The man went out and played through injury and now his body just can't do it.

Meticode
06-05-2015, 06:06 PM
That is not good. So was this completely separate to the original injury?
Same knee, but yes separate from my understanding. Tendinitis isn't going to cause you to get a knee fracture. He must of bumped knees or something.

Smook A.
06-05-2015, 06:07 PM
So. Many. Injuries...

Damn, I was really looking forward to seeing more of Curry vs Irving. Would've been an exciting matchup.

RoseCity07
06-05-2015, 06:08 PM
Aside from making shots throughout the second half?

On a side note, I may actually be pulling for Bran now. Ain't that some shit.. :biggums:

Aside form the fact he no team was scoring in OT until Kyrie got hurt and Curry got free throws. Free throws decided OT, not scoring from the field.

Hardjelly
06-05-2015, 06:10 PM
This is terrible news for their franchise player. The silver lining is since Kyrie won't get a chance to go uncle drew on the dubs, he won't have to worry about a salty Bron sabotaging games like in 2011.

fragokota
06-05-2015, 06:10 PM
Ahhh, it f*cks the Finals up completely. Terrible post season overall with all those injuries. GSW is the better team this year tbh but they also got very lucky.

chazzy
06-05-2015, 06:19 PM
Aside form the fact he no team was scoring in OT until Kyrie got hurt and Curry got free throws. Free throws decided OT, not scoring from the field.
What the hell is wrong with you. Curry didn't score after Kyrie left and the Warriors had a 7 point lead.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
06-05-2015, 06:26 PM

So the 26 points (good efficiency) and 8 assists he had before Kyrie was injured...were an optical illusion?

Help me out here :confusedshrug:

gts
06-05-2015, 06:27 PM
Where's the Lebron voodoo doll pic? every time one of the guys on a team Lebron will face in the playoffs (including last week when Klay went down with a concussion) we get the voodoo doll... now nothing. no break that knee little boy comments, no nothing

odd, funny how Lebronstans are class acts when it's on their team :lol

Too bad for Kyrie, i feel bad for the kid. there was no contact on that play, and he didn't bang his knee on the ground... wonder if this has been undiagnosed since this was the first MRI he's had according to Dave Mac the Cavs beat writer

Lots of talk also about how Kyrie's dad and his agent have been upset at how his knee problem has been dealt with the last couple weeks... obviously him playing 42 minutes last night up to the injury isn't going to soothe their ire

warriorfan
06-05-2015, 06:33 PM
****!

Golden State getting bailed out yet AGAIN.

http://www.multimediagames.com/sites/default/files/images/game-banner-images/MGAM_Meltdown_Mechanical_Banner.jpg

Bless Mathews
06-05-2015, 06:40 PM
Damn. Sad to see.

Woulda be a great series.

But now I'm gonna win big money on my bets.

My niggahs already aksing to cash out now for less.

:banana:

Hey Yo
06-05-2015, 06:42 PM
Very unfortunate for Kyrie and all Cavs fans. Back to the drawing board for next season.

ABC is going to go from having the highest rating ever for a game 1 Finals, to the ratings taking a giant dump.

NBAplayoffs2001
06-05-2015, 06:49 PM
I actually feel bad for Bron now. He's stuck with a team very similar to his 2007 roster in terms of talent. JR Smith with a brain is one helluva talent but we never got to experience what he could be. Could he turn that around and really shine as a consistent 20 ppg+ scorer for once?

BlazerRed
06-05-2015, 06:51 PM
Dude shouldn't have been playing. I get why they did play him, but he wasn't healthy, they rolled the dice and this is what happened.

Blue&Orange
06-05-2015, 06:51 PM
The Cavs had statistically the worst bench during the regular season.
brain surgery needed here.

masonanddixon
06-05-2015, 06:53 PM
Don't worry Cavs fans, the patella heals quickly and you can easily graft a part of the fibula into the patella region.

Bernkastel
06-05-2015, 06:56 PM
Dude shouldn't have been playing. I get why they did play him, but he wasn't healthy, they rolled the dice and this is what happened.

It was a fluke injury. People going all 20/20 here. If the Cavs wrap it up in regulation, no one would be criticizing the minutes played.

Bad luck is all.

RedBlackAttack
06-05-2015, 06:56 PM
:(

Fml

Droid101
06-05-2015, 06:57 PM
#rbame... ah, not nice.

Sucks. :(

RedBlackAttack
06-05-2015, 07:01 PM
This kneecap has been the issue all along, imo. It was just not completely visible until it cracked a little more, which obviously happened when he smacked knees with Thompson.

This is why, people, when a player says there's something wrong, there might really be something wrong. It isn't always about just rubbing a little dirt on it and jumping back out there.

This actually explains quite a bit. The default "tendinitis" is often used when doctors can't find an injury. Unfortunately, MRI is the best imaging that medicine currently has, but it isn't full proof. For small fractures around the tendons, visibility can be obscured.

This is the same injury Blake Griffin had his rookie year. I'm just hoping Kyrie can make a full recovery with no setbacks. Based on what I'm reading, the good news is that, as long as there is no cartilage damage, you come back from the surgery/recovery/rehab with a stronger knee.

He'll probably miss a couple months to start the season next year, though. Sucks, but at least we finally have some answers.

Kvnzhangyay
06-05-2015, 07:04 PM
So we were right?

Well thankyou for finally admitting it

The east does suck shit. The hawks and bulls are fake with inflated records. And lebron DOESNT belong in the finals.. and he never did belong there.. lucking out one series is always entirely possible. Which makes any title from an eastern team sketchy.. they have a free ticket to the finals. And anything can happen

Like what if the 2006 lakers had a free trip to the finals... kobe/kwame/smush took a 2nd seed to 7 games. Never know

So yeah... the warriors are obviously better. Thats why i bet my account on them winning the finals

So why do you discredit Bron for losing in the finals then? He shouldn't even be there in the first place

scandisk_
06-05-2015, 07:18 PM
Looks like Kyrie forced it a bit. Well, this just makes bran finals run more legendary.

tontoz
06-05-2015, 07:18 PM
Where's the Lebron voodoo doll pic? every time one of the guys on a team Lebron will face in the playoffs (including last week when Klay went down with a concussion) we get the voodoo doll... now nothing. no break that knee little boy comments, no nothing

odd, funny how Lebronstans are class acts when it's on their team :lol

Too bad for Kyrie, i feel bad for the kid. there was no contact on that play, and he didn't bang his knee on the ground... wonder if this has been undiagnosed since this was the first MRI he's had according to Dave Mac the Cavs beat writer

Lots of talk also about how Kyrie's dad and his agent have been upset at how his knee problem has been dealt with the last couple weeks... obviously him playing 42 minutes last night up to the injury isn't going to soothe their ire

That is what i was thinking. The knee cap is pretty big. I don't see how a healthy kneecap is going to fracture with no contact.

I am also mystified as to why Irving played at all in the last game against Atlanta.

FireMcFailPlease
06-05-2015, 07:19 PM
hate to see this. I dont think Cleveland had a chance with KI before the injury...but hey..the series doesn't start until the home team loses a game.

RedBlackAttack
06-05-2015, 07:19 PM
That is what i was thinking. The knee cap is pretty big. I don't see how a healthy kneecap is going to fracture with no contact.

I am also mystified as to why Irving played at all in the last game against Atlanta.
There was contact. Watch the play again. He banged knees with Thompson before going down.

RedBlackAttack
06-05-2015, 07:26 PM
Watch the second replay from the backside of the play and keep an eye on his left knee as he is about to change direction. Thompson's knee hits Kyrie's from the side.

That was the contact which finally completely fractured it. I truly believe this has always been the injury, though. It is just that it is fractured enough that it shows up completely on an MRI now.

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/playoffs/2015/06/05/0041400401-cle-gsw-play29.nba/

r15mohd
06-05-2015, 07:26 PM

I think the play in game 4 vs the Hawks was primarily to test out the knee brace(s) and whether he'd be comfy with it in live action. He looked to be around 80%, but I do agree....they should have rested him until last nights game so he could maximize his health going forward.

But as they said, it is more a fluke...he played extensive minutes due to the OT. Had the offensive boards put backs, role players being more relevant on offense and/or Lebron not taking an ill-advised last shot, this I doesn't happen and the Cavs come away up 1-0.

Sucks for Uncle Drew smh

scm5
06-05-2015, 07:27 PM
This kneecap has been the issue all along, imo. It was just not completely visible until it cracked a little more, which obviously happened when he smacked knees with Thompson.

This is why, people, when a player says there's something wrong, there might really be something wrong. It isn't always about just rubbing a little dirt on it and jumping back out there.

This actually explains quite a bit. The default "tendinitis" is often used when doctors can't find an injury. Unfortunately, MRI is the best imaging that medicine currently has, but it isn't full proof. For small fractures around the tendons, visibility can be obscured.

This is the same injury Blake Griffin had his rookie year. I'm just hoping Kyrie can make a full recovery with no setbacks. Based on what I'm reading, the good news is that, as long as there is no cartilage damage, you come back from the surgery/recovery/rehab with a stronger knee.

He'll probably miss a couple months to start the season next year, though. Sucks, but at least we finally have some answers.

Very well put, completely agree.

Alamо
06-05-2015, 07:28 PM
Sucks for Kyrie and the Cavs. I hope he recovers well and doesn't become too injury prone.

Beastmode88
06-05-2015, 07:35 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO UNCLE DREW! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

This is probably the worst way something like this can go down. This is obviously the work of the stephen a smith curse.

Mr. Jabbar
06-05-2015, 07:36 PM
The true cleveland hero. Sad

JimmyMcAdocious
06-05-2015, 07:36 PM
For some reason the nba.com video is a blank white page for me. This one, right?

https://youtu.be/qzlbYTINhi0?t=20
https://youtu.be/BiCv112EPfM?t=35
https://youtu.be/BiCv112EPfM?t=48

Because I see no contact. Or was there another play?

RedBlackAttack
06-05-2015, 07:37 PM
For some reason the nba.com video is a blank white page for me. This one, right?

That's the play. And the contact is obvious from the camera on the opposite end of the court (back of the play). You can't see it from the side.

I'll see if I can find the backside view on YT.

tontoz
06-05-2015, 07:39 PM
There was contact. Watch the play again. He banged knees with Thompson before going down.

Just watched it again. Marginal contact at best. thompsons foot was barely even planted and he was going sideways. Thompsons knee hit the ground harder than Irving's knee hit him.

Looked to me like Irving got hurt when he planted his foot. His kneecap had to have already been f'd up.

RedBlackAttack
06-05-2015, 07:40 PM

https://youtu.be/BiCv112EPfM?t=48

Here you go...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqI9D8DZULw#t=22

Watch the contact between Thompson's right knee and Kyrie's left knee at about 27 seconds.

RedBlackAttack
06-05-2015, 07:42 PM
Just watched it again. Marginal contact at best. thompsons foot was barely even planted and he was going sideways. Thompsons knee hit the ground harder than Irving's knee hit him.

Looked to me like Irving got hurt when he planted his foot. His kneecap had to have already been f'd up.
His leg straighten immediately when the contact happened. That was obviously where it was seriously fractured.

But there's no doubt in my mind that there was already a tiny fracture, which is why everyone was so stumped as to why he wasn't improving. In retrospect, it is pretty amazing that he was still getting out there and playing (well) despite all of that.

But, there was certainly contact on the play... plenty of contact for a pre-existing injury to worsen. And, to be honest, the way the contact came from the side of the knee, we're lucky there was no accompanying ligament/cartilage damage.

JimmyMcAdocious
06-05-2015, 07:43 PM
Here you go...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqI9D8DZULw#t=22

Watch the contact between Thompson's right knee and Kyrie's left knee at about 27 seconds.

Ah. I guess so. See the third link I edited with? It's like Thompson's knee grazes (you can see Kyrie's sock slightly pull down as Thompson's knee passes by). Then on yours I see the direct hit and the sock doesn't even move.

Funny how camera angles do that.

Whatever the case, sucks for the guy. He's actually one of the few likeable players on the Cavs. And no one wants a shit finals series.

SpecialQue
06-05-2015, 07:45 PM
Remember when the Clippers traded him for Mo Williams? Well, the draft pick, but still.

Also, remember Snorks?

Bond007
06-05-2015, 08:27 PM
my worry is Kyrie will be injury prone for the rest of his career :(

ProfessorMurder
06-05-2015, 08:32 PM
Plus side, he'll only miss 3 games.

RedBlackAttack
06-05-2015, 08:36 PM
my worry is Kyrie will be injury prone for the rest of his career :(
Maybe, maybe not. I think that is everyone's concern at this point, especially Cavs fans. On the bright side, this is the first really significant injury he has every suffered. In his first two years in the league, the Cavs would hold him out extensively for relatively minor bumps and bruises for obvious reasons (ie: tanking).

When they got serious about trying to win, which started last year, Kyrie had not been injury prone up to this point. Last year, he played in 71 games at 35+ minutes a night. This year, he played in 75 regular season games at 36+ minutes a night and then 13 playoff games at 36 minutes a night.

Also, he was the MVP of the FIBA World Cup over the summer.

Up until he hurt his ankle against Boston, he had a long stretch of being basically injury-free.

But, I'm obviously concerned for his longterm health.

Bond007
06-05-2015, 09:03 PM
Maybe, maybe not. I think that is everyone's concern at this point, especially Cavs fans. On the bright side, this is the first really significant injury he has every suffered. In his first two years in the league, the Cavs would hold him out extensively for relatively minor bumps and bruises for obvious reasons (ie: tanking).

When they got serious about trying to win, which started last year, Kyrie had not been injury prone up to this point. Last year, he played in 71 games at 35+ minutes a night. This year, he played in 75 regular season games at 36+ minutes a night and then 13 playoff games at 36 minutes a night.

Also, he was the MVP of the FIBA World Cup over the summer.

Up until he hurt his ankle against Boston, he had a long stretch of being basically injury-free.

ut, I'm obviously concerned for his longterm health.

College career
Irving committed to Duke on October 22, 2009, in a television broadcast on ESPNU.[21] Irving played with Duke during the 2010

Bond007
06-05-2015, 09:04 PM
First All-Star season (2012

SHAQisGOAT
06-05-2015, 09:07 PM
Messed up... "Ruins" the Finals too.

Bond007
06-05-2015, 09:09 PM
23 years old

Regular season
Year Team GP GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% RPG APG SPG BPG PPG

RedBlackAttack
06-05-2015, 09:31 PM
Why is Bond007 posting Kyrie's biography/stats? :oldlol:

Bond007
06-05-2015, 09:48 PM
Why is Bond007 posting Kyrie's biography/stats? :oldlol:

sorry i was just trying to highlight games played which i obviously failed. i like kyrie just concerned. my appologies

RedBlackAttack
06-05-2015, 09:55 PM
sorry i was just trying to highlight games played which i obviously failed. i like kyrie just concerned. my appologies
He played 75 this year at 36+ minutes per game and 71 last year at 35 minutes per game... then 13 playoff games at 36 minutes per game. And, like I said in the other thread, he played (and won MVP) in the FIBA World Cup this past offseason.

He had been pretty injury-free for the last couple years. I think ESPN's graphic is a little misleading, as the Cavs used any excuse to sit him in his first couple years in the league for tanking purposes. Over the last two years when they actually wanted to win, he has played a lot with a few minor bumps and bruises.

This is really the first serious injury of his career. We'll just have to see how his surgery/recovery/rehab goes.

J Shuttlesworth
06-05-2015, 09:57 PM
I asked this in the GT, but this might be a better place to ask :

Does anybody know of examples of other players who have gone through the same injury Kyrie is going through, and some details on how it affected them? Is this something that will linger with him? Or does he pretty much get the surgery, rest, and return to form in the fall?

Bond007
06-05-2015, 09:59 PM
He played 75 this year at 36+ minutes per game and 71 last year at 35 minutes per game... then 13 playoff games at 36 minutes per game. And, like I said in the other thread, he played (and won MVP) in the FIBA World Cup this past offseason.

He had been pretty injury-free for the last couple years. I think ESPN's graphic is a little misleading, as the Cavs used any excuse to sit him in his first couple years in the league for tanking purposes. Over the last two years when they actually wanted to win, he has played a lot with a few minor bumps and bruises.

This is really the first serious injury of his career. We'll just have to see how his surgery/recovery/rehab goes.

ok i hope so such a waste of tallent for the league if this becomes a regular occurrence . cheers

Bond007
06-05-2015, 10:00 PM

Does anybody know of examples of other players who have gone through the same injury Kyrie is going through, and some details on how it affected them? Is this something that will linger with him? Or does he pretty much get the surgery, rest, and return to form in the fall?

Good question. curious myself

Inferno
06-05-2015, 10:01 PM

Read somewhere else that Blake Griffin had the same surgery, too lazy to check though

J Shuttlesworth
06-05-2015, 10:06 PM
Read somewhere else that Blake Griffin had the same surgery, too lazy to check though
Looks like you're right. It was his "rookie" season:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4597949

That's not bad company to be in.

sirkeelma
06-05-2015, 10:12 PM
#noexcuses

JellyBean
06-05-2015, 10:16 PM
Wow. U feel bad for the dude. Get well, Kyrie. Looking for a speedy, safe, and full recovery.

Pointguard
06-05-2015, 10:23 PM
If only Shump's shot had went in...

Feel better Kyrie, the league needs you. Almost the entire line of exciting players have taken a hit the last three years, minus Wolverine.

Cold soul
06-05-2015, 11:02 PM
Terrible post season overall with all those injuries to so many good players. This series is over with Cleveland might win one game against Warriors. Ugh.... :(

Inferno
06-05-2015, 11:23 PM
Looks like you're right. It was his "rookie" season:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4597949

That's not bad company to be in.

Yeah makes it a little more reassuring at least

Poetry
06-06-2015, 12:39 AM
Just heard the news :(

Terrible post season overall with all those injuries to so many good players.

Yeah, all the injuries suck :(

BlakFrankWhite
06-06-2015, 12:41 AM
GSW getting the title handed to them on a silver platter...FFS

plowking
06-07-2015, 11:46 PM
According to plowking cavs will play better now w/ delladova starting

How did they do today bro?