PDA

View Full Version : So they say "3 point shooting can't win you a championship"

J Shuttlesworth
05-15-2015, 11:48 PM
While aspects of this may be true, I think we can all agree that a team with NO 3 PT shooting is pretty much worthless in this league. You might make a playoff run, but not a deep one. You don't need to have a stretch 4, but if you're not surrounding your solid frontcourt with some 3 and D players, you're not getting anywhere.

Recent champions:
2014 Spurs: #1 in 3P% .397
2013 Heat: #2 .396
2012 Heat: #9 .359
2011 Mavs: #11 .365

The grizzlies are bottom of the barrel in 3 points made and very low on 3 point efficiency. The worst champions in recent memory were the Lakers but even they shot 36% and 34% one year, which is better than what Memphis puts up.

I think Memphis was a much better team last year with Mike Miller draining 3s... As I type this, Curry is currently raining a parade of 3's on Memphis :lol

Timmy D for MVP
05-15-2015, 11:54 PM
I don't understand why we're still debating this.

Like you already said. The last few teams were shooting teams. This Warriors team isn't the Suns of old. They work the ball inside, create mismatches, and get open looks. :confusedshrug:

The Spurs last year had a lot of this stuff going on.

J Shuttlesworth
05-15-2015, 11:55 PM
I don't understand why we're still debating this.

Like you already said. The last few teams were shooting teams. This Warriors team isn't the Suns of old. They work the ball inside, create mismatches, and get open looks. :confusedshrug:

The Spurs last year had a lot of this stuff going on.
It's mostly Barkley... you know... the dude who thought Portland were legit contenders :facepalm

IGOTGAME
05-15-2015, 11:58 PM
This Warriors team is the best defensive team in the league, the deepest team in the league and has great size at every position. It's far more than just shooting threes.

J Shuttlesworth
05-15-2015, 11:59 PM
This Warriors team is the best defensive team in the league, the deepest team in the league and has great size at every position. It's far more than just shooting threes.
Agreed, but honestly, I made this thread more to criticize Memphis for not having any 3 point shooting at all .

navy
05-15-2015, 11:59 PM
Let's be real the 2013/2014 Spurs shot crazy threes attempts and percentages in the playoffs. The 2013/2014 Heat did as well. The 2011 Mavericks started the trend and that invited the 2012 Heat to make sure that they had 3 point sniping. Which was a huge factor in beating the 2012 Thunder who didnt take into account it's power.

It's a 3 point shooting league now. The Warriors possibly the best of all time at it.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
05-16-2015, 12:13 AM
Warriors defense is much better than their O. Boguts their MVP, then elite top tier defenders in draymond and Iggy. Not to mention great defenders in klay (one if the best PG defenders), Livingston, barnes,ezeli all good-great defenders

Heavincent
05-16-2015, 12:14 AM
It's mostly Charles Barkley who says this, and he's out of touch with today's game.

Heavincent
05-16-2015, 12:16 AM
Warriors defense is much better than their O. Boguts their MVP, then elite top tier defenders in draymond and Iggy. Not to mention great defenders in klay (one if the best PG defenders), Livingston, barnes,ezeli all good-great defenders

I've been saying it all year. Everything they do revolves around their defense.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
05-16-2015, 12:30 AM
I've been saying it all year. Everything they do revolves around their defense.
Yup. As versatile as Draymond is he doesnt have the impact of Bogut on D. Anytime Bogut wasnt there ZBo and Marc would be gobbling up boards. Bogut is the best rim protector in the NBA, arguably post defender, he can guard guards on switches, he has the hands of a cat can steal, he draws charges which most bigs dont do. He might not have the highest RPG but his boxout and positioning makes the warriors team rebounding elite. GS was giving up their lead when he got in foul trouble and they blew it back open w/ him in. He could have 6 pts 5 boards and be the most impactful player on the league hes a top 3 center this year with Cousins and Marc. 2nd best defender in the game behind Tony Allen and the best big defender since KG/Duncan/Big Ben. He wasnt healthy for GS last 2 playoffs and they didnt at all look like contenders

lilojmayo
05-16-2015, 01:19 AM
Knicks won't go anywhere as long as Phil Jackson is stuck in the out-dated " Triangle Offense'

Knick fans know that also deep down

AintNoSunshine
05-16-2015, 01:56 AM
Well all remaining team rely heavily on the 3 so that statement has clearly been outdated

All Net
05-16-2015, 01:58 AM
Warriors have the best D, amazing ball movement and alot of shooters.

not your average shooting team

Heavincent
05-16-2015, 02:01 AM
Knicks won't go anywhere as long as Phil Jackson is stuck in the out-dated " Triangle Offense'

Ha I remember Phil tweeting this:

NBA analysts give me some diagnostics on how 3pt oriented teams are faring this playoffs...seriously, how's it goink?

I'd say it's goink pretty good Phil.

Akrazotile
05-16-2015, 02:02 AM

Yeah but tbh if they werent prodigious with three point shooting I dont think theyd be one of the top 3 or 4 teams in the west.

I know their regular season metrics say they do other things well but when I watch them play I feel like the only thing that's really separating them from other good teams is their generational three point shooting. If they were even an average three pt shooting team I dont think they could beat teams like the Spurs, Grizzlies, Clippers, Cavs etc. in a series.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
05-16-2015, 02:04 AM
Ha I remember Phil tweeting this:

I'd say it's goink pretty good Phil.
Phil is so out of touch. The game is changing and hes not keeping up he even retweeted a post that made him and the person who posted it look dumb................and the funniest part about it is the team that ushered in this 3pt shooting era swept him in his last gig in historically embarrassing fashion while draining a million threes including the Mothers Day Massacre with 20 3s

navy
05-16-2015, 02:07 AM
Phil is so out of touch. The game is changing and hes not keeping up he even retweeted a post that made him and the person who posted it look dumb................and the funniest part about it is the team that ushered in this 3pt shooting era swept him in his last gig in historically embarrassing fashion while draining a million threes including the Mothers Day Massacre with 20 3s
Worst part is that instead of adapting with the times he has Derrick Fisher running the triangle.

iamgine
05-16-2015, 02:15 AM
So they say "3 point shooting can't win you a championship"
That's not what they say.

The correct saying is "live by the 3 die by the 3"

Which is to say that a team that rely on the 3 point shot too much will be very unlikely to win the championship.

It's not about the amount of 3s taken, it's more about the versatility of the team. When your 3 points aren't falling, what else can you do? Can you do stifling defense? Post offense? Run good sets consistently? Mid-range shots?

That's what it means.

J Shuttlesworth
05-16-2015, 02:17 AM

Which is to say that a team that rely on the 3 point shot too much will be very unlikely to win the championship.

It's not about the amount of 3s taken, it's more about the versatility of the team. When your 3 points aren't falling, what else can you do? Can you do stifling defense? Post offense? Run good sets consistently? Mid-range shots?

That's what it means.
Well, true but Barkley has consistently said that GSW won't win a championship because they shoot too many 3's. It's a pretty damn stupid opinion.

And once again, this thread is more for calling out the Grizzlies for not having any 3 point shooting.

Heavincent
05-16-2015, 02:23 AM
Barkley also listed Memphis, Portland, and Dallas as his top 3 teams in the West in the middle of the season.

I love Charles, but his analysis is often crap.

3ball
05-16-2015, 08:13 AM

Bulls only attempted 5 three-pointers per game in 1991 - for any team attempting that little 3-pointers, the triangle is by far the best offense available to space the floor.

Now for the 2015 Memphis Grizzlies, they attempt 16 three-pointers per game, so the triangle would be a crappy spacing mechanism for them.

MP.Trey
05-16-2015, 08:47 AM
They didn't watch basketball last year of that's what they say.

warriorfan
05-16-2015, 08:59 AM
Bulls only attempted 5 three-pointers per game in 1991 - for any team attempting that little 3-pointers, the triangle is by far the best offense available to space the floor.

Now for the 2015 Memphis Grizzlies, they attempt 16 three-pointers per game, so the triangle would be a crappy spacing mechanism for them.

Agreed

HurricaneKid
05-16-2015, 10:52 AM

That's what it means.

On Lowe's latest podcast he and his guest BLASTED the jurassic thinking of your post.

Its easy- open 3pt shots are more efficient than anything outside of FTs and shots right at the basket. And are far easier to get than the other two.

Anyone who thinks jump shooting teams can't win is a dolt and hasn't followed basketball the last several years.

Here is the list of the top 5 teams in 3 pters made this year:

Houston
Golden State
Clippers
Cavs
Hawks

The very 5 teams that are still playing. Time to get with the program.

ralph_i_el
05-16-2015, 11:13 AM
It's mostly Barkley... you know... the dude who thought Portland were legit contenders :facepalm

Portland with a healthy Wes Matthews were legit contenders. Especially after swinging that Afflalo trade. CJ Mc is a future stud combo gaurd off their bench too.

navy
05-16-2015, 11:16 AM
Portland with a healthy Wes Matthews were legit contenders. Especially after swinging that Afflalo trade. CJ Mc is a future stud combo gaurd off their bench too.
Legit contenders has no meaning these days. The reality is that there are only 2-3 teams capable of winning the chip every year if healthy and they can be pretty easily predicted. Portland was low/mid seeded team that wasnt anyhting more than a second round exit on a good matchup with or without Wes Matthews.

ralph_i_el
05-16-2015, 11:32 AM

That's what it means.

The correct saying is "Don't live by the 3, don't make the playoffs"

ralph_i_el
05-16-2015, 11:35 AM
Legit contenders has no meaning these days. The reality is that there are only 2-3 teams capable of winning the chip every year if healthy and they can be pretty easily predicted. Portland was low/mid seeded team that wasnt anyhting more than a second round exit on a good matchup with or without Wes Matthews.

:confusedshrug: I'd say it's more like 5-6 teams each season but I get where you're coming from.

Cavs, Spurs, Warriors, Clippers, Bulls, and Blazers were my contenders coming into the season. OKC was a healthy question

navy
05-16-2015, 11:49 AM
:confusedshrug: I'd say it's more like 5-6 teams each season but I get where you're coming from.

Cavs, Spurs, Warriors, Clippers, Bulls, and Blazers were my contenders coming into the season. OKC was a healthy question
5-6 is too many. The 1-2 seed both losing in each conference if healthy is just unlikely. If healthy that is. Upsets happen, but not that many.

Maybe this year considering how many bunched up the teams were.

Portland wasnt one of those teams though.

secund2nun
05-16-2015, 11:52 AM
3 point shooting by itself will almost never win a championship. This is why I would be shocked to see GS win the championship this year. They have little post scoring and little slashing ability. They mainly shoot just 3 point shots.

rzp
05-16-2015, 11:58 AM
Bulls only attempted 5 three-pointers per game in 1991

Wow thats crazy to imagine in today's game, must be Curry's average... in the 1st quarter :lol

Round Mound
05-17-2015, 03:21 AM
Im afraid this team will be the 1st. A new era for the NBA sadly: hope they farthen the 3-pointline (not near the borders but deepen the line farther back in the front) so we can go back to post play, mid range and an olderschool rules someday.

kurple
05-17-2015, 03:35 AM
While aspects of this may be true, I think we can all agree that a team with NO 3 PT shooting is pretty much worthless in this league. You might make a playoff run, but not a deep one. You don't need to have a stretch 4, but if you're not surrounding your solid frontcourt with some 3 and D players, you're not getting anywhere.

Recent champions:
2014 Spurs: #1 in 3P% .397
2013 Heat: #2 .396
2012 Heat: #9 .359
2011 Mavs: #11 .365

The grizzlies are bottom of the barrel in 3 points made and very low on 3 point efficiency. The worst champions in recent memory were the Lakers but even they shot 36% and 34% one year, which is better than what Memphis puts up.

I think Memphis was a much better team last year with Mike Miller draining 3s... As I type this, Curry is currently raining a parade of 3's on Memphis :lolHas anyone said this since 2008?

of course you need 3pt shooting to win. but you also need a lot of other things, cant just be a jumpshooting team

nzahir
05-17-2015, 04:16 AM
3 point shooting by itself will almost never win a championship. This is why I would be shocked to see GS win the championship this year. They have little post scoring and little slashing ability. They mainly shoot just 3 point shots.
But they arent just a shooting team, they are one of the best defensive teams in the league, they got guys who can hit mid range jumpers as well and transition players as well in curry, klay, iggy, barnes, and green. Then they also shoot 3s.