Marchesk
05-13-2015, 10:26 PM
31.1/14.7/1.8

51.9 FG% and 76.2 FT%

0.9 steals and 1.8 blocks

42 minutes a game

MVP

League pace: 100.9

Reason I ask is that I never hear anyone mention this player when it comes to best peaks of all time, but it looks pretty good. How would you rate it against peak Duncan, Hakeem or Shaq?

Young X
05-13-2015, 10:28 PM
Moses Malone?

Marchesk
05-13-2015, 10:30 PM
Moses Malone?

Yep. Of all the top 15 consensus players, he seems to get mentioned the least. And then I realized he had 3 MVPs and I started wondering why he doesn't have a case for top 10.

Fire Colangelo
05-14-2015, 12:07 AM
Yep. Of all the top 15 consensus players, he seems to get mentioned the least. And then I realized he had 3 MVPs and I started wondering why he doesn't have a case for top 10.

A couple things about Moses Malone:

1. He could not sustain his regular season scoring output and efficiency in the playoffs.

2. His team was the 4th and 6th seed for two of his MVPs, in which his team won like 44 and 46 games respectively (not too sure about the exact number, but it's below 50 wins). Not to mention his team suffered first round exits in both of those years.

3. The only ring he won, he joined a 61 win team minus Caldwell Jones.

So basically with Moses you got:

- A guy whose output went down in the playoffs
- Two iffy MVPs
- One ring due to what ISH likes to call "collusion".

which equals to around top 15 of all time... not close to top 10 imo. You'd have to move the likes of LeBron up a couple of spots to have Moses at top 10.

ClipperRevival
05-14-2015, 12:12 AM
A couple things about Moses Malone:

1. He could not sustain his regular season scoring output and efficiency in the playoffs.

2. His team was the 4th and 6th seed for two of his MVPs, in which his team won like 44 and 46 games respectively (not too sure about the exact number, but it's below 50 wins). Not to mention his team suffered first round exits in both of those years.

3. The only ring he won, he joined a 61 win team minus Caldwell Jones.

So basically with Moses you got:

- A guy whose output went down in the playoffs
- Two iffy MVPs
- One ring due to what ISH likes to call "collusion".

which equals to around top 15 of all time... not close to top 10 imo. You'd have to move the likes of LeBron up a couple of spots to have Moses at top 10.

I always look to see if a player's performance goes up or down in the playoffs. Anytime a supposed great has their numbers dip in the playoffs, it raises red flags to me. Not pointing out Moses specifically but in general. When an atg raises their level of play in the playoffs to another level, that is a huge plus for me. Guys like MJ, Hakeem, Duncan, etc.

LAZERUSS
05-14-2015, 12:56 AM
Moses "the Kareem Killer" Malone.

Absolutely CRUSHED Kareem in their 40 career H2H's, including BOTH playoff series.

Marchesk
05-14-2015, 01:31 AM
He could not sustain his regular season scoring output and efficiency in the playoffs.

His career playoff scoring and rebounding averages are higher than his regular season, and his FG% isn't that much lower. But those are averages.

Looks like his best playoff season was when Philly won the chip:

26/15.8/1.5 with 1.5 steals and 1.9 blocks on 53.8%

Dr J, Mo Cheeks, and Andrew Toney were averaging 16.3-18.8 ppg, so it's not like Moses needed to average 30 a game in those playoffs.