PDA

View Full Version : Are you Americans mad to not have a dominant athlete like Leo Messi?

RagaZ
05-06-2015, 05:23 PM
You've only had 1 in the last 25 years(Michael Jordan).

HOoopCityJones
05-06-2015, 05:25 PM
Sorry bruh, we've had more than 10 of those all across our major sports.

Rose'sACL
05-06-2015, 05:25 PM
post any english athlete that has been truly the best in any real sport in last 30 years?

red1
05-06-2015, 05:26 PM
OP still taking L's I see

Eric Cartman
05-06-2015, 05:27 PM

Burn in hell piece of shit.

T_L_P
05-06-2015, 05:28 PM
post any english athlete that has been truly the best in any real sport in last 30 years?

Stephen Hendry
Phil "The Power" Taylor
lol
Step your game up, bro.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
05-06-2015, 05:30 PM
Lol soccer is a sport w/ c level athletes. Messi lmao dude is Luke Walton tier foh

Enjoy ur poverty sport somewhere else

UK2K
05-06-2015, 05:31 PM
Who,?

qrich
05-06-2015, 05:32 PM
Let's see.

The US dominates basketball with dominant athletes.

We even shit on England in soccer.

Stuck with Canada in hockey.

Meanwhile....England is the best in....urm....curling?

kennethgriffin
05-06-2015, 05:36 PM
the states since MJ has had

kobe bryant ( top 5 legend 5 titles )
shaquille oneal ( legend 4 titles )
tim duncan ( legend 4.5 titles )
tom brady ( legend 4 titles )
tiger woods ( goat golfer )
michael phelps ( goat olympian )
lance armstrong ( goat cyclist )
floyd mayweather ( legend undefeated )

Rooster
05-06-2015, 05:36 PM
Stephen Hendry
Phil "The Power" Taylor
lol
Step your game up, bro.

Athletes :oldlol:

LosBulls
05-06-2015, 05:39 PM
Lol like anybody gives a f*ck about Soccer in the US.

Soccer is a poverty sport.

FKAri
05-06-2015, 05:45 PM
Messi gonna Messi
Are you Argentinian OP?

tiger woods ( goat golfer )
floyd mayweather ( legend undefeated )

:lol

FreezingTsmoove
05-06-2015, 05:47 PM
Floyd Money Mayweather :bowdown:

Optimus Prime
05-06-2015, 05:54 PM
I had to Google who this nobody was.

I went to a riot once and a soccer game broke out. True story.

:kobe:

SpecialQue
05-06-2015, 05:58 PM

outbreak
05-06-2015, 06:07 PM
The english cricket team just lost to the West Indies and you are here making fun of another countries athletes? Why are you talking about Messi anyway, he isn't english?

Showtime80'
05-06-2015, 06:08 PM
Most popular game in the world for a reason!!!

Hardest to score as well unlike the NBA any run off the mill scrub can drop 20 to 25 points specially with today's soft rules!

Jasi
05-06-2015, 06:10 PM
To be honest I struggle to find a more dominant athlete in any sport than englishman Jonathan Edwards in triple jump.

outbreak
05-06-2015, 06:13 PM
To be honest I struggle to find a more dominant athlete in any sport than englishman Jonathan Edwards in triple jump.

Don Bradman

k0kakw0rld
05-06-2015, 06:15 PM
http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/889162tumblrmrdiomJ3Ds1rpkkhbo2r1500.gif (http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=889162tumblrmrdiomJ3Ds1rpkkhbo2r1500 .gif)

Hey Yo
05-06-2015, 06:15 PM
Most popular game in the world for a reason!!!

Hardest to score as well unlike the NBA any run off the mill scrub can drop 20 to 25 points specially with today's soft rules!
That's why it's so damn un-entertaining.

Nothing more exciting than watching for 4hrs only to have a 0-0 tie

Rooster
05-06-2015, 06:19 PM

Jack Nicklaus ( goat golfer )
Sugar Ray Robinson ( legend GOAT Boxer )

Fixed

Legends66NBA7
05-06-2015, 06:20 PM
I could care less about Messi. Soccer isn't about 1 megastar.

outbreak
That's why it's so damn un-entertaining.

Nothing more exciting than watching for 4hrs only to have a 0-0 tie

I'm not the biggest football fan but it's really annoying when people say this, have you watched a match properly before? The low scores are what makes it exciting when a team gets a nice run shaping up, watching the build up and the shot attempt is exciting as any other sport. Every now and then you get a game where neither team can get anything going which can be a bit dull, but no more dull then the occasional rubbish NBA game.

305Baller
mods.

JimmyMcAdocious
05-06-2015, 06:27 PM
Had to google. Thought his name was Linus Messing.

Showtime80'
05-06-2015, 06:28 PM
Today's game between Barcelona and Bayern Munich ended 2-0 and it was the most exciting game I've watched in any sport all year!!!

Just watching Messi's brilliance for a couple of seconds beats anything that LeBron, Brady, Kobe or Trout can do in their artificially altered scoring induced sports!!!

It's DAMN HARD to score in a soccer game, cant say the same for basketball, American football or baseball! The skill level of a player like Messi is out of this world and artistry personified that's why he's the most popular athlete in the REAL WORLD! You know the one that exists beyond the US borders, LOL

T_L_P
05-06-2015, 06:34 PM
Today's game between Barcelona and Bayern Munich ended 2-0 and it was the most exciting game I've watched in any sport all year!!!

Just watching Messi's brilliance for a couple of seconds beats anything that LeBron, Brady, Kobe or Trout can do in their artificially altered scoring induced sports!!!

It's DAMN HARD to score in a soccer game, cant say the same for basketball, American football or baseball! The skill level of a player like Messi is out of this world and artistry personified that's why he's the most popular athlete in the REAL WORLD! You know the one that exists beyond the US borders, LOL

I fell out of love with football years ago, but the Liverpool comeback vs AC Milan in the Champions League Finals is still my fondest memory in sport. There was nothing better than watching that.

christian1923
05-06-2015, 06:34 PM

You're barking up the wrong tree... We don't care about soccer. It's boring and nothing happens.

Rose'sACL
05-06-2015, 06:38 PM
You're barking up the wrong tree... We don't care about soccer. It's boring and nothing happens.
then why does america like football so much? it is even more boring than soccer.

Eric Cartman
05-06-2015, 06:38 PM
Mods this is not basketball related, move the thread to it's proper place.

Derka
05-06-2015, 06:45 PM
You're still so destroyed in your soul over the World Cup that you can't even troll well. Damn.

Showtime80'
05-06-2015, 06:46 PM
Average soccer match with the inflated scores of the NFL would end 21 to 7!!! LOL!!!

But don't say that to Americans, they like to invent and adopt their own sports, create NATIONAL leagues and call it's winners WORLD CHAMPIONS!!! Pathetic! If Barcelona wins the CL they have not of a claim than ANY of the American sports league winner to be called WORLD CHAMPIONS, but they won't because guess what? Soccer is cool like that!

Mr. Jabbar
05-06-2015, 06:46 PM
Mods this is not basketball related, move the thread to it's proper place.

http://scottmasters.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/trashcan.jpg

ShawkFactory
05-06-2015, 06:50 PM
Average soccer match with the inflated scores of the NFL would end 21 to 7!!! LOL!!!

But don't say that to Americans, they like to invent and adopt their own sports, create NATIONAL leagues and call it's winners WORLD CHAMPIONS!!! Pathetic! If Barcelona wins the CL they have not of a claim than ANY of the American sports league winner to be called WORLD CHAMPIONS, but they won't because guess what? Soccer is cool like that!
Inflated scores? WTF are you even talking about

outbreak
05-06-2015, 06:53 PM
Isn't Kobe's favourite sport soccer? Didn't he want to be a soccer player but he wasn't good enough and now wants to own a club?

Rose'sACL
05-06-2015, 06:55 PM
Isn't Kobe's favourite sport soccer? Didn't he want to be a soccer player but he wasn't good enough and now wants to own a club?
he can't own even a small club in epl or any other respectable soccer league. may be a very small percentage like 0.2%.

ImKobe
05-06-2015, 06:57 PM
Kobe Bryant.

outbreak
05-06-2015, 07:07 PM
he can't own even a small club in epl or any other respectable soccer league. may be a very small percentage like 0.2%.

He would do like Jay z did where a larger group makes him the face of the consortium but he actually owns a smaller share. Wasn't Jay z's share in the nets revealed to be like 200k lol?

Sportal
05-06-2015, 07:28 PM
This guy is just upset because the Spanish leagues have been cancelled until further notice.

Because the team Messi is on gets too much money in the TV deals etc.

Barcelona is practically an all-star team, the world 11 that gets announced every year is riddled with their players, and a world 11 2nd team would be full of the rest of the players.

If Messi is so good, why haven't Barca been in the UCL final since 2011? Because UEFA stopped doing the 2002 Lakers for you every year.

Lensanity
05-06-2015, 07:34 PM

Floyd Mayweather?
Tiger Woods?
Michael Phelps?

warriorfan
05-06-2015, 07:47 PM
damn bros you can't be letting these british guys troll you so ez :(

NBASTATMAN
05-06-2015, 09:56 PM

Messi is a great player but he CHOKED in the WORLD CUP...:rockon:

COnDEMnED
05-06-2015, 10:03 PM
Who? Is that a soccer player? Reality check, most Americans, specifically white people, me, don't give a shit about soccer. Soccer is the sport popular amongst poor people. That's why it's so popular in dirt countries.

I hope I've answered your question.

Sportal
05-06-2015, 10:03 PM
The most popular real world athlete?

Is Messi?

You mean Cristiano Ronaldo, right?

pauk
05-06-2015, 10:19 PM
Soccer is overrated, boring anyways.... bunch of midgets running around chasing a ball & flopping for 90+ mins, the rare goal that happens is always out of lucky proportions...

Very overrated sport, as a European i dont get it... i think its a group pressure thing here, forced to like it... but i am fighting the masses... :pimp:

..and lol @ single players being dominant, soccer is a strict team sport, a player cant consistently & viciously impact/control/dominate a game at will like in basketball, not even close.... unless you are playing FIFA 2015 on easiest mode...

God Bless America for their fantastic taste in sports, plowing down soccer where it needs to be, right next to female cricket or something. http://www.forums.caves.org/images/smilies/patriot.gif

gts
05-06-2015, 10:27 PM
Re: Are you Americans mad to not have a dominant athlete like Leo Messi?

nope, we have lots of athletes I've never heard of

FKAri
05-06-2015, 10:37 PM
Who? Is that a soccer player? Reality check, most Americans, specifically white people, me, don't give a shit about soccer. Soccer is the sport popular amongst poor people. That's why it's so popular in dirt countries.

I hope I've answered your question.

What sports are those? Polo, cricket and golf?

tontoz
05-06-2015, 10:40 PM
I had to Google who this nobody was.

I went to a riot once and a soccer game broke out. True story.

:kobe:

Seriously i had no idea who he was.

Words cant express how pathetic it is to get in fights over soccer.

LAZERUSS
05-06-2015, 10:40 PM
Find me another Earl Anthony...

one of the greatest athletes of all-time.

BigMacAttack
05-06-2015, 10:43 PM
Floyd Money Mayweather :bowdown:

Will be remembered as a guy who made a lot of Money. He basically represents everything that's killing boxing.

Shit human being with a huge ego. He thinks continually calling himself the greatest makes him charismatic like Ali. Seems to care only about money, moreso than even his child or the mother of that child. His fight style, while very close to unbeatable is boring to watch and not even aggressive.

The so called "fight of the century" was another nail in boxings coffin.

FKAri
05-06-2015, 10:45 PM
Find me another Earl Anthony...

one of the greatest athletes of all-time.

I can't even find the first tbh.

LAZERUSS
05-06-2015, 10:47 PM
I can't even find the first tbh.

https://bowlinghistory.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/anthony-earl-1970-copy.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_Anthony

In a Sports Illustrated Magazine national vote he was named the 2nd Greatest Athlete in the history of the state of Washington (behind only former NBA star John Stockton)

DonDadda59
05-06-2015, 10:49 PM
It's DAMN HARD to score in a soccer game, cant say the same for basketball, American football or baseball!

:whatever:

The top level basketball and football players would have a much better chance of scoring a goal in a pro soccer game than the top level soccer players would have scoring in a pro basketball/football game (not counting LeBronesque cherry-picking layups :lol ). Also, hitting a fastball at the MLB level is one of if not the hardest thing to do in sports.

hawksdogsbraves
05-06-2015, 11:29 PM
I mean does anybody really believe that Nate Robinson wouldn't have been better than Messi if he'd trained for soccer from the age of 6 years old?

LAZERUSS
05-06-2015, 11:31 PM
I mean does anybody really believe that Nate Robinson wouldn't have been better than Messi if he'd trained for soccer from the age of 6 years old?

Or how about this guy...

http://www.pba.com/Content/images/gallery/GD_264_1_6_2012_4_45_46_PM.jpg

Instead of a dominant bowler...could have been one of the greatest soccer stars of all-time.

Showtime80'
05-06-2015, 11:33 PM
Wrong Don Dadda! Gather up the best athletes/players from baseball, NFL and NBA and even after a year of training wouldn't last even 20 minutes running a pitch in the lowest divisions of soccer, let alone score a goal at the top levels.

Take a guy like C. Ronaldo and give him a month of a training and he scores 6 to 8 points in an NBA game or run a goal line slant for a touchdown.

There have been MANY baseball players who have played American football at the highest leves, NOBODY has or would play the highest levels of soccer platooning in another sport, NEVER!!!

To be good at soccer you need to start VERY GOOD, unlike basketball or American football which a lot of guys can start in their teams and play at the top levels

outbreak
05-06-2015, 11:38 PM
People don't realise the talent soccer players have at the top level, it isn't obvious talent like jumping it's more subtle but you can't just learn the coordination and balance they have. Takes a lot to control the ball and their body like they do. Trying to belittle the sport is stupid too, it's the most popular sport in the world, just because you don't like it or don't understand it it doesn't change that fact.

DonDadda59
05-06-2015, 11:45 PM
Wrong Don Dadda! Gather up the best athletes/players from baseball, NFL and NBA and even after a year of training wouldn't last even 20 minutes running a pitch in the lowest divisions of soccer, let alone score a goal at the top levels.

Ridiculous. Some soccer players never get past midfield and spend a majority of the match standing around/lightly jogging away from the action.

Take a guy like C. Ronaldo and give him a month of a training and he scores 6 to 8 points in an NBA game or run a goal line slant for a touchdown.

:roll:

I played ball with Sergio Aguero, Kompany, and some other nigguh from Manchester City whose name escapes me right now. Uncoordinated and awkward as hell, all of them. Couldn't score if their lives depended on it. Couldn't get past my High School varsity level, half-assed defense. I cringe thinking about what Tony Allen would do to them in an actual game. F*ck outta here. :oldlol:

Ronaldo would get his metrosexual ass pancaked and sent to a hospital if he ever stepped on the gridiron in an NFL game.

There have been MANY baseball players who have played American football at the highest leves

You mean freak athletes like Bo Jackson and Deion Sanders who would use Messi as a toothpick?

NOBODY has or would play the highest levels of soccer platooning in another sport, NEVER!!!

Only because athletes in the U.S. don't focus on soccer in the least. Can't help but think Barry Sanders would've had a much, much easier time scoring a soccer goal than Messi would have scoring a touchdown.

To be good at soccer you need to start VERY GOOD, unlike basketball or American football which a lot of guys can start in their teams and play at the top levels

Dubious claim at best. I'm sure there's plenty of players on pro soccer teams all over the world with limited skills but other qualities that make them serviceable (speed, stamina, etc).

hawksdogsbraves
05-06-2015, 11:49 PM

There have been MANY baseball players who have played American football at the highest leves, NOBODY has or would play the highest levels of soccer platooning in another sport, NEVER!!!

Very GOOD? No. Very YOUNG? Yes.

There is a lot of skill involved in soccer, that's true, you need to train from a very young age and you can't just pick it up later in life.

Basketball is the same way. Just as is a position like quarterback in the NFL, or being a good hitter in baseball.

It's not that hard for a great athlete to become a tight end in football, the position merely requires raw athleticism.

gilalizard
05-06-2015, 11:51 PM
Soccer: Fun to play, boring to watch.

It's why there's so much hooliganism in soccer/football. The games are generally so boring to watch, the fans need to get drunk and start fighting to entertain themselves.

Even baseball is consistently more entertaining to watch. The only time soccer is fun to watch is the 2-3 seconds around a goal, or when some eurodouche is flopping around like a fish/LeBron.

It's got a low-skill entry too. Which is why it's so popular for youth leagues. Even a special needs kid can run and kick a ball.

TiagoSimoes
05-06-2015, 11:58 PM
Ridiculous. Some soccer players never get past midfield and spend a majority of the match standing around/lightly jogging

Dubious claim at best. I'm sure there's plenty of players on pro soccer teams all over the world with limited skills but other qualities that make them serviceable (speed, stamina, etc).

There is not a single good to great football player to get along just on athletism. The main difference of football to most sports is that iq and skill >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> athletism. But people who dont watch/understand football will never get that.

I love the nba, its an amazing show, with amazing coaches and players. But football is so much more complex you people cant even grasp it. Its not an insult, americans arent born around football so its normal for you not to understand it

DonDadda59
05-07-2015, 12:06 AM
There is not a single good to great football player to get along just on athletism. The main difference of football to most sports is that iq and skill >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> athletism. But people who dont watch/understand football will never get that.

I love the nba, its an amazing show, with amazing coaches and players. But football is so much more complex you people cant even grasp it. Its not an insult, americans arent born around football so its normal for you not to understand it

I grew up in South Africa where soccer is huge. Kaiser Chiefs vs Orlando Pirates was the big rivalry down there, like Red Sox-Yankees level. My father was a soccer star during his youth and still holds the scoring record at the college he went to. He actually coached soccer at the collegiate level. When I was younger I broke the goals scored record for my youth league. Never loved or even liked the game though.

But yeah, I don't understand it. :oldlol:

christian1923
05-07-2015, 12:09 AM

If you think soccer is complex I cant imagine how confused you'll be an NFL playbook

ClipperRevival
05-07-2015, 12:14 AM
Having MJ was enough. Was there any other human being as good at anything than MJ was at basketball?

bluechox2
05-07-2015, 12:14 AM
but but but messi is american?...south american to be precise

JGXEN
05-07-2015, 12:24 AM
Lol soccer is a sport w/ c level athletes. Messi lmao dude is Luke Walton tier foh

Enjoy ur poverty sport somewhere else
Poverty sport? Football is way more lucrative compared to basketball. It's because of dumb asses like you who contribute to the stereotype that Americans are ignorant and dumb about anything outside of their country.

funnystuff
05-07-2015, 02:13 AM
I am an American and recognize the skill and endurance needed to play soccer, it's unparalleled to most american sports.

You can be fat and out of shape to play baseball or football professionally, both american sports.

Soccer players run constantly, most of the time in the sunlight. You cannot say the same for any american sport.

tomtucker
05-07-2015, 02:16 AM
I am an American and recognize the skill and endurance needed to play soccer, it's unparalleled to most american sports.

You can be fat and out of shape to play baseball or football, both american sports.

Soccer players run constantly, most of the time in the sunlight. You cannot say the same for any american sport.

maybe, but non US soccer fans are 90% drunken bums....who fight and hate eachother......it

nba_55
05-07-2015, 02:22 AM
[QUOTE=tomtucker]maybe, but non US soccer fans are 90% drunken bums....who fight and hate eachother......it

tomtucker
05-07-2015, 05:05 AM
:facepalm

it

JerrySeinfeld
05-07-2015, 05:09 AM
http://tireball.com/nfl/files/2012/12/tombrady2.jpg

GOAT

alenleomessi
05-07-2015, 05:19 AM
Only Jordan is comparable in terms of dominance and impact in his sport to Messi..

Lol at Brady and Mayweather.. you guys crack me up :roll:

EwingMan
05-07-2015, 10:05 AM
how many world cups did messi win?

how many world cup goals has messi scored?

dannywpt
05-07-2015, 11:20 AM

The top level basketball and football players would have a much better chance of scoring a goal in a pro soccer game than the top level soccer players would have scoring in a pro basketball/football game (not counting LeBronesque cherry-picking layups :lol ). Also, hitting a fastball at the MLB level is one of if not the hardest thing to do in sports.

Yeah, no. Nope, not even close. And I'm pretty neutral.

Prometheus
05-07-2015, 11:58 AM
We have Isai.

wordsRweapons
05-07-2015, 11:59 AM
not even jordan tbh

Jordan+KAJ+Magic = messi

Prometheus
05-07-2015, 12:00 PM
not even jordan tbh

Jordan+KAJ+Magic = messi

Go to hell. How dare you register an account in an NBA forum and talk about Michael Jordan that way. You should be ashamed of yourself.

HurricaneKid
05-07-2015, 01:47 PM
C'mon. Ronaldo has won the last 2 Ballon d'Or awards.

Someone else wins PoY the last two years yet someone posts this dumb thread??

Le Shaqtus
05-07-2015, 02:09 PM
Let's see.

The US dominates basketball with dominant athletes.

We even shit on England in soccer.

Stuck with Canada in hockey.

Meanwhile....England is the best in....urm....curling?

That's not hard to do.

CavaliersFTW
05-07-2015, 02:19 PM
To be fair they've got that snooker player :lol

jimmybball
05-07-2015, 02:19 PM
Never heard of this guy. Not relevant to the US.

sd3035
05-07-2015, 02:22 PM
To be fair they've got that snooker player :lol

obviously unaware of that guy who plays darts

DonDadda59
05-07-2015, 02:28 PM
Yeah, no. Nope, not even close. And I'm pretty neutral.

Swap Messi with LeBron... who do you think would have an easier time in the other's place.... Bron playing soccer against some 5'6" Euros or Messi trying to score on Jimmy Butler? :lol

tomtucker
05-07-2015, 02:39 PM
Soccer: Fun to play, boring to watch.

It's why there's so much hooliganism in soccer/football. The games are generally so boring to watch, the fans need to get drunk and start fighting to entertain themselves.

exactly, and there don

Eric Cartman
05-07-2015, 02:43 PM
Swap Messi with LeBron... who do you think would have an easier time in the other's place.... Bron playing soccer against some 5'6" Euros or Messi trying to score on Jimmy Butler? :lol

Lebron's flopping transitions well into soccer.

AintNoSunshine
05-07-2015, 02:45 PM
Stephen Hendry
Phil "The Power" Taylor
lol
Step your game up, bro.

Snooker a sport now?

DonDadda59
05-07-2015, 02:47 PM
[QUOTE=tomtucker]exactly, and there don