PDA

View Full Version : True or False: NBDL is a higher level then college?

TAZORAC
04-09-2015, 05:29 AM
Who thinks the NBDL basketball is a higher level then college? The NBDL is basically past college guys who left early, played a year or 2 in the NBA then got shipped to the D-league or seasoned guys who are free agents staying busy.

Having watched D-league and college basketball, I can assure you that Duke wouldn't win a championship in the NBDL and Wisconsin wouldn't make it the D-league finals. You have indiviual players from these colleges. who are good, but overall as a team the NBDL is much higher level.

JerrySeinfeld
04-09-2015, 05:32 AM
with people like Mark Cuban and many others bitching about College not doing a good enough job prepping guys for the NBA, how long until we start to see a few brave prospects start their NBA journey by skipping out on College and signing with a D-League team instead?

Genaro
04-09-2015, 05:36 AM
True.
NBDL is better if we're talking overall. There are a lot of guys on college who don't even become a pro basketball player at all. (like play in Europe, Asia or South America)
But I think that some teams who are loaded with prospects may win the DL championship (and you have to put coaches into perspective, college coaches are better.)

ILLsmak
04-09-2015, 05:37 AM
Who thinks the NBDL basketball is a higher level then college? The NBDL is basically past college guys who left early, played a year or 2 in the NBA then got shipped to the D-league or seasoned guys who are free agents staying busy.

Having watched D-league and college basketball, I can assure you that Duke wouldn't win a championship in the NBDL and Wisconsin wouldn't make it the D-league finals. You have indiviual players from these colleges. who are good, but overall as a team the NBDL is much higher level.

I think a college team could compete because even tho the D league has more talent, dudes have different motivation. They are trying to get into the NBA above all, not win.

I think a well coached college team could beat a D league team. However, it's different rules so who knows. Also depends on which D league team and which college team.

Edit: @ jerry, as soon as they can offer a proper paycheck to a blue chip.

-Smak

salwan
04-09-2015, 05:46 AM
with people like Mark Cuban and many others bitching about College not doing a good enough job prepping guys for the NBA, how long until we start to see a few brave prospects start their NBA journey by skipping out on College and signing with a D-League team instead?

good point.

not sure how I feel about guys skipping college, but I can see the D-League becoming a stronger and more prestigious league with a much better and closer development system to the NBA just like the AHL is in ice hockey.

IMO it's just a matter of time before every nba team has a D-League affiliate, where they stack undrafted euro guys and college prospects and nurture them for the nba as basketball gets more and more popular and the number of players increases. + exploding revenue streams could help the D-League become more competitive with respect to wages.

I can even see the draft expanding to more than 2 rounds, where the late picks get sent to the D-League.

JerrySeinfeld
04-09-2015, 05:54 AM
good point.

not sure how I feel about guys skipping college, but I can see the D-League becoming a stronger and more prestigious league with a much better and closer development system to the NBA just like the AHL is in ice hockey.

IMO it's just a matter of time before every nba team has a D-League affiliate, where they stack undrafted euro guys and college prospects and nurture them for the nba as basketball gets more and more popular and the number of players increases. + exploding revenue streams could help the D-League become more competitive with respect to wages.

I can even see the draft expanding to more than 2 rounds, where the late picks get sent to the D-League.

I mean if you are looking like a fringe 2nd round prospect out of HS anyways, but absolutely want to pursue the NBA, what have you got to lose?

Going to the D-League you'll at least get paid some money, won't have to deal with (even if it is very minimal for athletes) college classes and homework, will be immediately getting developed and overseen by NBA executives, all while playing with NBA rules and learning the NBA game quicker and easier.

I know multiple teams try to have their D-League teams run the exact same offensive sets as their NBA teams are running, and basically are instilling the exact same principles. Just seems like for those 2nd round guys some of them may benefit more going straight into the D-League rather than having to grind away in college for 4 years just to make their draft case.

Penny37
04-09-2015, 06:09 AM
The average D-League player is better than the average College player.
The top College players are better than the top D-League players.

I<3NBA
04-09-2015, 06:26 AM
True.There are college players who don't even make the NBDL. but you can bet every D League player can make a college squad. so...

Euroleague
04-09-2015, 07:18 PM
good point.

Won't happen. The average salary in Euroleague is $1.4 million. Hell, even in the freaking Greek League, the MINIMUM salary is like $90,000 in how the NBA counts it.

You might get like 2 guys out of the hundreds upon hundreds in Europe you tried to sign.

And that's not even to mention that nowadays guys are also making a lot of money in places like Brazil, Iran, Venezuela, China, South Korea, etc.

Bosnian Sajo
04-09-2015, 07:42 PM
Yea, they need to change how much d-league players make, 25k is embarrassing. Full time mcdonalds employees make more than that ffs :lol

Yet a ten day contract gives them what, double that? Which is awesome to make that kind of money in 10 days, but it just goes to show you how little they make in the d-league.

RightTwoCensor
04-09-2015, 07:48 PM
How many of you have actually watched the D-League? My guess is zero.

Gimme any college team with an elite prospect over the best D-League squad.

Kblaze8855
04-09-2015, 08:52 PM
Seth Currys dleage team has like 3 all Americans on it and I suspect all of them are better than they were in college. Its hard to say on one night since so many D league guys only play 5-6 times in a season then sign elsewhere....but at times they would have a squad of 9-10 potential NBA players 2-3 of them dominant in college.

A college team with 6 people who make the nba....and 3 of them can suck...is rare as hell.

An NBDL team is top to bottom NBA players and borderline NBA players.

They just dont play well together because everyone wants to shine.

NBDL games are awful.

ILLsmak
04-09-2015, 08:59 PM

NBDL games are awful.

That's what I mean. And they're not good enough to do that like an NBA team would be. Like the 76ers would smash any D league team, too.

It's hard to say... if they said win this game and everyone is getting a 1 yr contract in the NBA, then maybe the D-League team would win every time. But if it was just a game where somehow the D leaguers didn't know it wasn't a regular D league game, I think they would lose to a good college team. Excepting the whole... 3 point line and different rules thing. That would be the deciding factor, I think.

-Smak

dreamwarrior
04-09-2015, 09:01 PM
Definitely higher. I'd like to see them play college teams or some international competition. DL games are just weird so it's hard to judge talent. You have guys like Lin, Henry, and Brown all leading the DL in scoring and they get to the NBA and are pretty mediocre.

Euroleague
04-09-2015, 11:42 PM

WTF are you saying?

Everyone knows the highest level of NCAA like the power conferences, with the best schools, play a better brand of basketball, but you are disputing basic FACT to claim that it is a higher level than the D-League.......

or are trying to claim that it goes like this,

D-League
NCAA
NBA

STOP DOING DRUGS

The D-League consists of guys from NCAA I and they have all played in some combination of D-League/professional leagues in Europe/South America/Asia/NBA

And some of of them have even played in good leagues in Europe like Euroleague or Eurocup or Spain, Italy, Greece, places like that.

How in the hell could you surmise then that it would work like,

D-League
NCAA
NBA

:confusedshrug:

The best NCAA might play a better style of basketball, but in no way is it a higher level. That's basic fact.

Beyond that you are missing a clear and obvious thing.....there are 351 schools in NCAA Division I. So don't think for one second that even the average division one college team is playing anything close to the brand of basketball in D-League.

What you are even talking about only even accounts for a SMALL amount of NCAA teams in the first place.

The D-League changed a lot in recent years. It's level has jumped by about 2-3 levels in the last few years. It's way better than a typical college team.

ILLsmak
04-09-2015, 11:47 PM
WTF are you saying?

Everyone knows the highest level of NCAA like the power conferences, with the best schools, play a better brand of basketball, but you are disputing basic FACT to claim that it is a higher level than the D-League.......

or are trying to claim that it goes like this,

D-League
NCAA
NBA

STOP DOING DRUGS

The D-League consists of guys from NCAA I and they have all played in some combination of D-League/professional leagues in Europe/South America/Asia/NBA

And some of of them have even played in good leagues in Europe like Euroleague or Eurocup or Spain, Italy, Greece, places like that.

How in the hell could you surmise then that it would work like,

D-League
NCAA
NBA

:confusedshrug:

The best NCAA might play a better style of basketball, but in no way is it a higher level. That's basic fact.

Beyond that you are missing a clear and obvious thing.....there are 351 schools in NCAA Division I. So don't think for one second that even the average division one college team is playing anything close to the brand of basketball in D-League.

What you are even talking about only even accounts for a SMALL amount of NCAA teams in the first place.

The D-League changed a lot in recent years. It's level has jumped by about 2-3 levels in the last few years. It's way better than a typical college team.

d leeg revel uppu.

-Smak

Collie
04-10-2015, 12:37 AM
D-League has much better average talent level, but the NCAA has better top 2% players (the lottery picks who pan out).

TAZORAC
04-10-2015, 05:41 AM

I've watched d-league for years part time. I usually just watch the playoffs.

Fort Wayne Mad Ants won the championship last year, they'd wreck Duke, Kentucky and Wisconsin.

Example, Fort Wayne had Jordan Crawford is much better then Tyus Jones and Cook. Their other guard is Trey Mckinney Jones, who use to play for Miami, played against Quinn Cook when he played in college, does everything better then Cook, and I can go on and on. Okafor is a stud, everybody else on Duke is pretty regular.

JerrySeinfeld
04-10-2015, 05:53 AM
Seth Currys dleage team has like 3 all Americans on it and I suspect all of them are better than they were in college. Its hard to say on one night since so many D league guys only play 5-6 times in a season then sign elsewhere....but at times they would have a squad of 9-10 potential NBA players 2-3 of them dominant in college.

A college team with 6 people who make the nba....and 3 of them can suck...is rare as hell.

NBDL games are awful.

this right here is the biggest problem with the d-league when compared to the college game and atmosphere.

clipps
04-10-2015, 03:34 PM

I've tried. It's really difficult to stay interested. The Summer league is not as bad mainly due to the deprivation of basketball by that time and anticipation of watching upcoming rookies, but that anticipation literally disappears once the first game starts.

Euroleague
04-10-2015, 08:23 PM
D-League has much better average talent level, but the NCAA has better top 2% players (the lottery picks who pan out).

That's a bunch of bullshit.

Less than 1% of the guys that ever play NCAA Division I ever make it to NBA or Euroleague. Less than 2% of them ever make it to NBA, Euroleague, or a first division European national league............

You fail at basic logic and reasoning.