PDA

View Full Version : How legit are the Rockets?

SwayDizzle
03-28-2015, 08:10 AM
They seem to have the type of team the 08-10 Lakers had, which has proven it is championship worthy. It is looking like they will end up being 2nd in the West. Can they win it this year?

Mr Exlax
03-28-2015, 11:33 AM
They seem to have the type of team the 08-10 Lakers had, which has proven it is championship worthy. It is looking like they will end up being 2nd in the West. Can they win it this year?

Who is our coach?

HurricaneKid
03-28-2015, 11:35 AM
I would give 2:1 odds they don't make it out of the first round. It looks like a lock that they play SAS. It will not end well.

BlakFrankWhite
03-28-2015, 11:55 AM
Like,first round exit legit

UK2K
03-28-2015, 01:33 PM
I would give 2:1 odds they don't make it out of the first round. It looks like a lock that they play SAS. It will not end well.
I'll take SAS.

SmackOrH.A.K
03-28-2015, 03:01 PM
To be honest, I don't want us to play the Spurs in the first round. It's not a lock that we'd lose to them cuz we matchup well against them but given both teams history it's not a logical match up.

I'm hoping the Grizzlies keep struggling and we can somehow move to #2 seed and beat the hell out of the Mavs in the first round.

Once we get confidence and experience in the first round anything can happen later on in the playoffs. I'd be more confident about playing the Spurs in round 2 or 3, just because our history.

As far as every other team in the West, I'm only scared of the Warriors and Spurs

Milbuck
03-28-2015, 03:03 PM
With Dwight looking as explosive as he has since his return, once he's shaken off the rust and minutes restriction by playoff time, there is zero excuse not to win the championship if you're "MVP" James Harden. Great role players who who defend, shoot, work hard...and as good a 2nd option as you could ask for this side of Westbrook for a healthy Durant, Kyrie for Lebron, or CP3/Blake for Blake/CP3.

UK2K
03-28-2015, 04:06 PM
With Dwight looking as explosive as he has since his return, once he's shaken off the rust and minutes restriction by playoff time, there is zero excuse not to win the championship if you're "MVP" James Harden. Great role players who who defend, shoot, work hard...and as good a 2nd option as you could ask for this side of Westbrook for a healthy Durant, Kyrie for Lebron, or CP3/Blake for Blake/CP3.
Cause generally #3 seeds in the playoffs are favored to win right?

No excuses, as a 3 seed? K.

Or 2nd options like Klay Thompson, Leonard, Monta/Chandler?

You act like Dwight is the best sidekick in the league. He's not. Not even close.

navy
03-28-2015, 04:08 PM

Well they could easily be the two seed by the end of the season. Plus they were the 3 seed without Dwight/Dwight being a scrub. So....:confusedshrug:

SpecialQue
03-28-2015, 04:12 PM
I'm finding it very hard to not see this thread as a veiled dig at Dwight.

Siemens
03-28-2015, 04:16 PM

Spurs should be able to man handle them, but they need to be clicking as a team.

Siemens
03-28-2015, 04:17 PM
I want a repeat of this moment.

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/tim-duncan-dwight-howard.gif

Milbuck
03-28-2015, 04:19 PM

They have the 4th best record in the entire league, tied in the loss column for #3 (just 1 win short of Memphis)..with Dwight hurt or out most of the year. So adding an elite all-star big man to a team that already has the 3rd-4th best record, a team with the supposed MVP frontrunner, doesn't make them a contender?

Or 2nd options like Klay Thompson, Leonard, Monta/Chandler?

You act like Dwight is the best sidekick in the league. He's not. Not even close.
Go ahead and list all the sidekicks in the league that could drop 26/14/2/3/1 on 55% FG in a playoff series. And when you're done, take out all the players who don't play elite defense.

UK2K
03-28-2015, 04:36 PM
They have the 4th best record in the entire league, tied in the loss column for #3 (just 1 win short of Memphis)..with Dwight hurt or out most of the year. So adding an elite all-star big man to a team that already has the 3rd-4th best record, a team with the supposed MVP frontrunner, doesn't make them a contender?

Go ahead and list all the sidekicks in the league that could drop 26/14/2/3/1 on 55% FG in a playoff series. And when you're done, take out all the players who don't play elite defense.

How about I list all the side kicks that were all stars THIS season? As in, not before surgery? As in, the relevant season.

Gasol (Chi)
Thomoson (GsW)
Lillard (POR)
Westbrook (OKC) or Durant?
Duncan (SAS) or Leonard?
Griffin (LAC)

How's that list?

No excuses for those 6 teams either I guess.

No excuses for anyone!

NumberSix
03-28-2015, 04:45 PM
Would anybody be super shocked if Houston got bounced in the first or second round?

RightToCensor
03-28-2015, 04:54 PM
I see a lot people ruling out Houston but not supporting their opinion with an explanation.

We're the 4th (soon to be 3rd) best team in the league.
We're the best 3 point shooting team in the league.
We get to the line.
We defend the perimeter.
We've got the best defensive center back from injury.
We've got the MVP who averages 27 and 7.
We've got depth.

Forget "no excuses", the only people who use that term are fans of garbage ass teams.

navy
03-28-2015, 04:57 PM
I see a lot people ruling out Houston but not supporting their opinion with an explanation.

We get to the line.
We defend the perimeter.
We've got depth.

Forget "no excuses", the only people who use that term are fans of garbage ass teams.
No basically... no excuses.

Smook A.
03-28-2015, 05:04 PM
All I want right now is to get all the guys healthy before the postseason starts. Jones, D-Mo, and Papanikolaou are out. Beverley is too, but it looks like he might be out for the rest of the season. Overall, we got all the pieces to make a nice run in the playoffs. The bench has improved a lot since last season. Josh Smith has been huge, Brewer always gives us a good spark, Terry brings in leadership, experience and good 3 point shooting. Terrence Jones and D-Mo work really well together in the post. Trevor Ariza is a great defender, and his shot has been looking pretty well as of late. Dwight just came back and isn't posting up (thank god). He's focusing more on getting open looks and doing pick & roll. He plays much more efficiently that way. And lastly, we got Harden. It's all on him. If he doesn't bring it in the playoffs, we could be looking at another 1st round exit. However, if he does bring his A game, then the sky is the limit. I'm just really excited for the playoffs and I can't wait to see what the Rockets can do.

RightToCensor
03-28-2015, 05:05 PM
No basically... no excuses.
I got you on a leash, boy. How does it feel that a stranger on the internet runs your life?

navy
03-28-2015, 05:06 PM
I got you on a leash, boy. How does it feel that a stranger on the internet runs your life?
Feels good man.

Milbuck
03-28-2015, 05:10 PM
How about I list all the side kicks that were all stars THIS season? As in, not before surgery? As in, the relevant season.

Gasol (Chi)
Thomoson (GsW)
Lillard (POR)
Westbrook (OKC) or Durant?
Duncan (SAS) or Leonard?
Griffin (LAC)

How's that list?

No excuses for those 6 teams either I guess.

No excuses for anyone!
Irrelevant. Dwight wasn't healthy this year at all. He looks solid now, and should be good to go by playoff time. Stop changing the argument. You know for a fact healthy Dwight > everyone on your list except Westbrook and Blake.

MVP-form Harden + healthy Dwight + good supporting cast of defensive, shooting, hard working role players = championship level.

I cannot believe you're seriously trying to argue that a team with the 4th best record in the league, just 1 win off 3rd, is somehow not a contender after adding a top 3 all-star center :oldlol:

SaltyMeatballs
If all our guys play well in the playoffs (looking at you, James), and stay healthy, this team is a contender.

Im Still Ballin
About 1/5th legit

StephHamann
03-28-2015, 05:22 PM
Rockets are clear cut favorites.

MVP Harden, best center in the game Howard and Money/Moreyball genius tactics.

They have a legit chance to go 15/1 like the 2001 Lakers. Only see them lose 1 game to the Warriors.

poido123
03-28-2015, 06:04 PM
I don't even consider them to be anything other than making up the numbers in the playoffs.

They will prove again that they are no better than a 2nd round team at best.

bdreason
03-28-2015, 06:30 PM
Depends on two things;

Can Harden maintain his effectiveness in the playoffs?

Can Howard provide elite defense without hindering the offense?

If both of these answers are 'YES'... then the Rockets are legit.

UK2K
03-28-2015, 06:37 PM
Would anybody be super shocked if Houston got bounced in the first or second round?
Its the western conference playoffs. I wouldn't be shocked to see anyone get bounced in the first round.

navy
03-28-2015, 06:38 PM
Its the western conference playoffs. I wouldn't be shocked to see anyone get bounced in the first round.
Golden State?

EnoughSaid
03-28-2015, 06:39 PM
They can beat anyone besides the Warriors and Grizzlies. They will most certainly have the best player in every series in Harden, and if Howard plays decently then his defense will be as overwhelming as ever. All depends on the supporting cast.

I see them getting out of the first round but that's it.

Showtime2001
03-28-2015, 06:40 PM
No not at all.

UK2K
03-28-2015, 06:40 PM
Irrelevant. Dwight wasn't healthy this year at all. He looks solid now, and should be good to go by playoff time. Stop changing the argument. You know for a fact healthy Dwight > everyone on your list except Westbrook and Blake.

MVP-form Harden + healthy Dwight + good supporting cast of defensive, shooting, hard working role players = championship level.

I cannot believe you're seriously trying to argue that a team with the 4th best record in the league, just 1 win off 3rd, is somehow not a contender after adding a top 3 all-star center :oldlol:
There are two 'no excuse' teams.

Nobody else is close to touching them as odds to win the championship.

So yeah, I am arguing that the Rockets are not, and will not be, considered favorites to win the championship at any point this season. Except for those trying to discredit Harden if they don't win the title.

Spurs have finals MVPs and veteran leadership. OKC has trip dub Westbrook. The warriors are stacked. The clippers are stacked. Portland has two all stars in their prime. The Mavericks have a solid 1-7 rotation. Grizzlies have elite defense, and are led by vets

The rockets are the fourth youngest team in the league, and the longest tenured rockets has been on the team for 3 years. No, they aren't contenders. No matter how much you try and make them out to be.

ArbitraryWater
03-28-2015, 06:42 PM
No not at all.

thats because

UK2K
03-28-2015, 06:43 PM
Golden State?
Now that Durant is out, OK.

But if he was healthy, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them beat GS in a series.

Why would you?

navy
03-28-2015, 06:44 PM
No, they aren't contenders. No matter how much you try and make them out to be.
So....

We get to the line.
We defend the perimeter.
We've got depth.

UK2K
03-28-2015, 06:51 PM
So....
Haha and West Virginia said Kentucky would be 36-1.

Spurs m8
03-28-2015, 06:53 PM
First round exit.

2nd round exit if they have a miracle

Team is terrible and if I supported them I'd quit nba

navy
03-28-2015, 07:01 PM
Haha and West Virginia said Kentucky would be 36-1.
To say Houston isnt a contender though is pretty outlandish. Your basically saying Harden aint shit. They have all the pieces needed to contend with a healthy non terrible Dwight.*

That doesnt mean they are favorites. Hell, they might not be even be favorites in the first round. But not contenders? Well damn.

Milbuck
03-28-2015, 07:28 PM
There are two 'no excuse' teams.

Nobody else is close to touching them as odds to win the championship.

So yeah, I am arguing that the Rockets are not, and will not be, considered favorites to win the championship at any point this season. Except for those trying to discredit Harden if they don't win the title.

Spurs have finals MVPs and veteran leadership. OKC has trip dub Westbrook. The warriors are stacked. The clippers are stacked. Portland has two all stars in their prime. The Mavericks have a solid 1-7 rotation. Grizzlies have elite defense, and are led by vets

The rockets are the fourth youngest team in the league, and the longest tenured rockets has been on the team for 3 years. No, they aren't contenders. No matter how much you try and make them out to be.
GS, SA, Cleveland, LAC, Atlanta, Memphis, and Houston are all no excuse contenders. All championship contenders, all have a shot at winning if they play their best ball, none have any glaring holes they can push all the blame to.

Potential or former contenders with excuses:

Dallas - Rondo sucks, horrible fit, Dirk too old
Chicago - too many injuries, too little time to build chemistry, Derrick Rose*
OKC - No Durant
Portland - no Wes Matthews

Explain to me Houston's huge weaknesses that prevent them from seriously competing for the championship, if Harden plays like the MVP, Dwight is more or less Dwight, and the remaining supporting cast shoots, defends, and works hard like they have all year. List out the potential excuses in that case.

gyu
03-28-2015, 07:50 PM
I'm a Rockets fan but they are not legit. They don't have any centers to back up Dwight... he is their only rebounder. The rest of the bigs are stretch 4s. They were getting destroyed on the boards every night while Dwight was out.

UK2K
03-28-2015, 07:56 PM
GS, SA, Cleveland, LAC, Atlanta, Memphis, and Houston are all no excuse contenders. All championship contenders, all have a shot at winning if they play their best ball, none have any glaring holes they can push all the blame to.

Potential or former contenders with excuses:

Dallas - Rondo sucks, horrible fit, Dirk too old
Chicago - too many injuries, too little time to build chemistry, Derrick Rose*
OKC - No Durant
Portland - no Wes Matthews

Explain to me Houston's huge weaknesses that prevent them from seriously competing for the championship, if Harden plays like the MVP, Dwight is more or less Dwight, and the remaining supporting cast shoots, defends, and works hard like they have all year. List out the potential excuses in that case.
OK.

They shoot, by far, the most 3's per game of any team.
They aren't really good at shooting 3's.
Jones and Beverley are out again.
They have one PG on the roster. Who was playing in Russia a year and a half ago.
They have one center on the team.
Joey Dorsey doesn't count. He's crap.
They are 2nd in turnovers, right between every other garbage team in the league (Phila, Sac, Mil, Orlando).
Harden is the only reliable ball handler, scorer, play maker.

Yeah they have a cool record, but as I said in the preseason, their ceiling is the WCF, their floor is a first round exit. Its been the way for months. I've said it for months. Nothing has changed since then.

TheMarkMadsen
03-28-2015, 08:00 PM
everybody wants to pump out their chest and talk like their team is the shit until somebody calls them on it then they wanna back peddle like some hoes :lol :lol

Sportal
03-28-2015, 08:19 PM
The Rockets' season ENTIRELY depends on how the Playoffs shape up. If they get 3rd and play the Spurs at 6th, I feel it will be a 1st round exit.

However, I can see Portland falling unfortunately, which could put them at 6th or 7th depending on how the Mavs play. Which would mean we could see Rockets vs Blazers again, but I don't think the Blazers win this time. Then they might get the Griz or Mavs? That would be an interesting one, I'm not sure who would win if it was Rockets vs Griz/Mavs...

I think the Rockets would be hard pushed to make the Finals... Might have to play Spurs, Griz, Warriors? I don't see it tbh.

bobopenguin
03-28-2015, 09:04 PM

We get to the line.
We defend the perimeter.
We've got depth.

someone pls bookmark this.
i cant wait for ppl to come back and dominate his face when rocket got kick out after the first round. :lol :lol :lol

Sportal
03-28-2015, 09:14 PM

We get to the line.
We defend the perimeter.
We've got depth.

It's easy to say that stuff, but how many of those "pros" did the Rockets have last season?

RightToCensor
03-28-2015, 09:23 PM
That team was a bad fit with a horrid coach come playoff time.

Lin, Harden, Parsons, Howard all function with the ball in their hands.

McHale decided in the middle of the playoffs to make Dwight our number one option and we end up losing badly to Portland because the offense never ran inside-out.

Lin and Harden is not ideal for spacing and shooting.

We had no clear-cut PF all season.

We had no idea on how to play Howard and Asik together all season.

Our bench unit couldn't score for themselves if their life depended on it.

Just a horrible fit coped with bad coaching. At least McHale decided to run the offense through Harden 100% of the time he's on the floor.

Sportal
03-28-2015, 09:48 PM
That team was a bad fit with a horrid coach come playoff time.

Lin, Harden, Parsons, Howard all function with the ball in their hands.

McHale decided in the middle of the playoffs to make Dwight our number one option and we end up losing badly to Portland because the offense never ran inside-out.

Lin and Harden is not ideal for spacing and shooting.

We had no clear-cut PF all season.

We had no idea on how to play Howard and Asik together all season.

Our bench unit couldn't score for themselves if their life depended on it.

Just a horrible fit coped with bad coaching. At least McHale decided to run the offense through Harden 100% of the time he's on the floor.

So do you think that Harden is going to average like 15FTA per game in the Playoffs? Because I feel you're going to have a bad time. I mean, what's he averaged for the month/last couple of months, FT wise?

k0kakw0rld
03-28-2015, 11:44 PM
First round exit.

If they face the spurs guaranteed 100%