PDA

View Full Version : Would you draft a 20 yrs.old Shaquille O'Neal over a 21 yrs.old Michael Jordan??

Lebron23
03-26-2015, 09:33 PM
http://ballislife.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/shaq-cover.jpg

Shaq College Stats:

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/shaquille-oneal-1.html

http://www.goseewrite.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/0_1541680_2127.jpeg

Michael Jordan College Stats

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/michael-jordan-1.html

dubeta
03-26-2015, 09:34 PM
Shaq.

navy
03-26-2015, 09:36 PM
Coming out of college? Of course.

Knowing mj would become the GOAT? no.

imdaman99
03-26-2015, 09:37 PM
Jordan. Shaq quit on multiple teams and couldn't co-exist with someone that was more marketable than him. First Penny, than Kobe, and lastly Wade. Talk about jealous and insecure :oldlol:

ISHGoat
is this a joke?

any gm that doesnt draft shaq first would be instantly fired

L.Kizzle
20 year old Shaq 10 out of 10 times.

ISHGoat
03-26-2015, 09:38 PM
Jordan. Shaq quit on multiple teams and couldn't exist with someone that was more marketable than him. Talk about a jealous and insecure :oldlol:

Yeah thats why he won championships with Kobe and Dwade, played on lebrons cavs and the big 3 celtics right?

dubeta
What was Shaqs record his first 10 playoff games compared to MJ? Anyone know?

L.Kizzle
Jordan. Shaq quit on multiple teams and couldn't co-exist with someone that was more marketable than him. First Penny, than Kobe, and lastly Wade. Talk about jealous and insecure :oldlol:
Maybe true, but the question was 20 year old Shaq or 21 year old Jordan.

Beastmode88
03-26-2015, 09:39 PM
you can't teach 7 ft... this topic has been made 10 times already.:facepalm

Lebron23
03-26-2015, 09:42 PM
http://ballislife.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/All-Star-pic.jpg

TheMarkMadsen
03-26-2015, 09:42 PM
you can't teach 7 ft... this topic has been made 10 times already.:facepalm

you can't teach work ethic either

give me the psycho who is determined to be the best over the slob content with being one of the best

Akrazotile
03-26-2015, 09:43 PM
Considering Sam Bowie got drafted ahead of Jordan, think its pretty obvious who everyone would take based solely on info available at the time of drafting.

KNOW1EDGE
03-26-2015, 09:47 PM
Lol no.

StrongLurk
03-26-2015, 09:56 PM
Wow Jordan became a much better free throw shooter in the NBA.

Dresta
03-26-2015, 09:57 PM
With hindsight, obviously not. Shaq just doesn't have the focus, patience, attitude and determination to succeed with a single team for an extended period of time. Eventually he always got bored and/or lazy, blamed others for these things, and then left whatever team he was on, burning bridges as he left.

Basically, Shaq was never winning 6 titles for the team that drafted him. Jordan could (and did).

Fire Colangelo
03-26-2015, 10:00 PM
With hindsight? Give me Michael.

With the information available at the time of their draft? Shaq.

Prime_Shaq
03-26-2015, 10:25 PM
Of course everyone would pick MJ now but a rule of thumb is always picking the dominant big first.

sdot_thadon
03-26-2015, 11:16 PM
In the moment without future knowledge this is Shaq 100% of the time. I mean they chose dream and freaking Sam Bowie over him lol.

Marchesk
03-26-2015, 11:19 PM
Of course everyone would pick MJ now but a rule of thumb is always picking the dominant big first.

I think Shaq would go before MJ more often than not, regardless. You take the once in a generation dominant big over the GOAT. It would be the same if Wilt was in the draft.

Jameerthefear
03-26-2015, 11:22 PM
I think Shaq would go before MJ more often than not, regardless. You take the once in a generation dominant big over the GOAT. It would be the same if Wilt was in the draft.
uhh no. no one would take wilt if they were actually planning to win championships. lets just leave this at shaq and jordan

Marchesk
03-26-2015, 11:23 PM
uhh no. no one would take wilt if they were actually planning to win championships. lets just leave this at shaq and jordan

Wilt was on two of the five or six greatest teams ever. He could anchor championship teams. You just need to put the right players and coaches around him.

scandisk_
03-26-2015, 11:32 PM
Yeah, hindsight is always 20/20. Give me Shaq over some lanky kid. Hell I'd even take Shaq over Alcindor.

Jameerthefear
03-26-2015, 11:35 PM
Wilt was on two of the five or six greatest teams ever. He could anchor championship teams. You just need to put the right players and coaches around him.
wilt isn't a winner. PERIOD. lets leave this at jordan and shaq

Marchesk
03-26-2015, 11:36 PM
wilt isn't a winner. PERIOD. lets leave this at jordan and shaq

More of a winner than Dwight ...

MEB2kDeez
03-26-2015, 11:42 PM
Yup, if we're talking about right out of college.

DonDadda59
03-26-2015, 11:45 PM
If you had a crystal ball, the GOAT. Otherwise, Shaq every time. Hakeem was drafted ahead of Jordan, no one batted an eye and even now you don't really hear people getting on the Rockets case for doing it. All things considered it was the right/smart choice, especially back then when the conventional knowledge was big men win championships.

Sam Bowie doe...

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.mandatory.com/media/2013/02/michael-jordan-laughing.gif

sdot_thadon
03-26-2015, 11:53 PM
If you had a crystal ball, the GOAT. Otherwise, Shaq every time. Hakeem was drafted ahead of Jordan, no one batted an eye and even now you don't really hear people getting on the Rockets case for doing it. All things considered it was the right/smart choice, especially back then when the conventional knowledge was big men win championships.

Sam Bowie doe...

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.mandatory.com/media/2013/02/michael-jordan-laughing.gif
I figured Bowie was taken over him for the same reason Dream was, big men win titles. In hindsight we all know how it worked out and can ridicule it. In the moment that gm might have been fired for picking Mj lol.

sd3035
03-27-2015, 12:02 AM
Shaq over anyone in the history of basketball if you want a few guaranteed titles

I always hated SHaq by the way but let's be honest

Dr.J4ever
03-27-2015, 12:05 AM

Sam Bowie doe...

I actually saw Jordan play live during his Tar heel days before he got drafted. I still remember the conversation among hoops people like Vitale and others regarding Michael. Being a 76er fan and an Erving fan, yeah Jordan was great and all in college, but I was skeptical about him doing great in the NBA.

Other experts said Jordan would do better in the NBA than in college with no zones and the more open game, but I don't think anyone thought he would become the best ever or even close to it.

With Hakeem and his Phi slamma jamma Houston Cougars, it was different. I remember watching Hakeem in college and thinking this guy was gonna be great in the NBA.

With the NBA at the time being dominated by bigs and catering to them, Hakeem was more impressive than Jordan going to the NBA. Sam Bowie in college was not at all impressive to me, and I wasn't surprised he was a bust.

Turns out Jordan changed everyone's thinking and made the NBA what it is today.

Marchesk
03-27-2015, 12:30 AM
Hakeem was drafted ahead of Jordan, no one batted an eye and even now you don't really hear people getting on the Rockets case for doing it. All things considered it was the right/smart choice, especially back then when the conventional knowledge was big men win championships.

Hakeem enjoyed more team success early on than Jordan did. Problem is that Hakeem's team got worse while Jordan's got better. That wasn't Olajuwon's fault.

oarabbus
03-27-2015, 12:52 AM
Without hindsight, I draft Shaq.

WITH Hindsight, I still draft Shaq, ya ****in nutjobs. No way in hell I draft Jordan. Because if Jordan and Shaq entered the league at the same time, Jordan wouldn't be GOAT. No chance in hell Jordan goes for a perfect finals record with the MDE in the league at the same time as him.

OnFire
03-27-2015, 12:55 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NwgNLW9ASQ

DonDadda59
03-27-2015, 01:14 AM
Hakeem enjoyed more team success early on than Jordan did. Problem is that Hakeem's team got worse while Jordan's got better. That wasn't Olajuwon's fault.

Who said it was?

And Hakeem had plenty of help throughout his career, even if the middle was a bit thin. Started his career forming the original twin towers with Ralph Sampson, made it to the finals. Had Clyde Drexler, Charles Barkley, and even a fresh off a championship with Jordan Pippen throughout the 90s. Only won rings when Jordan was gone.

WITH Hindsight, I still draft Shaq, ya ****in nutjobs. No way in hell I draft Jordan. Because if Jordan and Shaq entered the league at the same time, Jordan wouldn't be GOAT. No chance in hell Jordan goes for a perfect finals record with the MDE in the league at the same time as him.

:coleman:

MDE with a more talented team than his later Lakers got swept by the GOAT n 96 bruh.

Tking714
03-27-2015, 01:22 AM
I'd take shaq even in hindsight. He made building a team so easy. As a gm I want that job security even if he leaves teams after every contract.

Jud
03-27-2015, 01:27 AM
I'd pick Shaq, because I wouldn't have known that MJ would one day become the GOAT NBA player.

BlakFrankWhite
03-27-2015, 01:31 AM
I'd pick Shaq, because I wouldn't have known that MJ would one day become the GOAT NBA player.

this

3ball
03-27-2015, 01:32 AM
MJ would have won every single time Shaq lost with a stacked team (i.e. 1997 and 1998 WCF vs. Utah).

Whereas I can't say the same for Shaq - I can't say Shaq would have won with just Pippen and Grant - he's always needed a great backcourt to win... always.

So he can't win with no backcourt and just Pippen/Grant, especially considering he couldn't win with Eddie Jones, Van Exel, Kobe, Elden Campbell, Derek Fisher, Rick Fox, Robert Horry - Jordan would have easily won the championship in both 1997 and 1998 with this team...

Oh wait - let's not forget 2004 Finals - in that series, Shaq's 27 PPG and 64% shooting had ZERO impact - so replace that with MJ's 35 PPG, ridiculous synergies with Kobe just taking basketball to that heavenly place, superior determination, defensive commitment (GOAT perimeter defense with MJ and Kobe) and leadership and that's a rap.

jongib369
03-27-2015, 01:37 AM
MJ would have won every single time Shaq lost with a stacked team (i.e. 1997 and 1998 WCF vs. Utah).

Whereas I can't say the same for Shaq - I can't say Shaq would have won with just Pippen and Grant - he's always needed a great backcourt to win... always.

So he can't win with no backcourt and just Pippen/Grant, especially considering he couldn't win with Eddie Jones, Van Exel, Kobe, Elden Campbell, Derek Fisher, Rick Fox, Robert Horry - Jordan would have easily won the championship in both 1997 and 1998 with this team...

Oh wait - let's not forget 2004 Finals - in that series, Shaq's 27 PPG and 64% shooting had ZERO impact - so replace that with MJ's 35 PPG, ridiculous synergies with Kobe just taking basketball to that heavenly place, superior determination, defensive commitment (GOAT perimeter defense with MJ and Kobe) and leadership and that's a rap.
What's your opinion on ranking Shaq,Wilt, and Kareem?

jstern
03-27-2015, 02:43 AM
Out of college, you would pick Shaq.

I don't think any of them were more marketable than Shaq. The one that came closes was probably penny in his prime, but Shaq was just too appealing for the mainstream, non basketball fans.

Ray22
03-27-2015, 08:39 AM
With hindsight, obviously not. Shaq just doesn't have the focus, patience, attitude and determination to succeed with a single team for an extended period of time. Eventually he always got bored and/or lazy, blamed others for these things, and then left whatever team he was on, burning bridges as he left.

Basically, Shaq was never winning 6 titles for the team that drafted him. Jordan could (and did).

this

ILLsmak
03-27-2015, 08:48 AM
Shaq. I think if shaq was drafted to a better organization to start he might have stayed. I think shaq was too good with too little work so he needed someone to challenge him in a different way than people before phil did.

If you know you can be a top 3 player just by stepping on the court from your second year onward and dominate anyone on a given night, why would you work? Mj worked because if he slipped he could fall off.

Shaq needed goals that were unreachable and intangible.

-Smak

swagga
03-27-2015, 08:48 AM
without knowing : shaq 10 out of 10.
knowing: shaq 10 out of 10.

lol, any coach, manager or competent basketball fan would pick shaq 10 out 10. There is nobody in history you pick over shaq in an all-time draft.

swagga
03-27-2015, 08:50 AM
Shaq. I think if shaq was drafted to a better organization to start he might have stayed. I think shaq was too good with too little work so he needed someone to challenge him in a different way than people before phil did.

If you know you can be a top 3 player just by stepping on the court from your second year onward and dominate anyone on a given night, why would you work? Mj worked because if he slipped he could fall off.

Shaq needed goals that were unreachable and intangible.

-Smak

spot on, leave to an amateur team like orlando to squander prime years out of talent like shaq, howard, mcgrady ..

BigNBAfan
03-27-2015, 08:50 AM

this proves you are a idiot

scandisk_
03-27-2015, 09:09 AM
lol, any coach, manager or competent basketball fan would pick shaq 10 out 10. There is nobody in history you pick over shaq in an all-time draft.

Alcindor came out of college and dominated every facet of it. :confusedshrug:

swagga
03-27-2015, 09:22 AM
Alcindor came out of college and dominated every facet of it. :confusedshrug:

only player that comes close imo. I'd still take shaq based on physical ability.

pauk
03-27-2015, 09:52 AM
"Big men > " is common in the draft and Shaq is THE big guy, maybe the only big guy anybody would pick over anybody in NBA history, i mean if you cant see into the future you wouldnt know how Jordan's career (or any perimeter player) would pan out so most / if not all would pick Shaq.....

Just to put this theory into test see Jordan's actual draft class, he was picked 3rd behind two big guys (Hakeem & Bowie), so picking a behemoth like Shaq over him is obvious....

...and even if you can see into the future and see how great they would be what makes you think Jordan would ALWAYS end up with the same accolades, 6 rings, 6 fmvps, 5 mvps to become GOAT? Just a slight change in the team he ends up on compared to Shaq could turn their careers completely different at the end.... to the point where maybe Shaq could even end up higher than him on the all-time list.... it is a team game afterall, Shaq could end up with a stacked team most of his career eventually and Jordan could struggle due to playing with scrubs most of his career.... You never know...

With that being said, hopefully you now or eventually understand how bogus team accomplishments are when used to boost a guy on the all-time lists.... Jordan is the same EXACT player even if he would end up completely ringless, the only difference between that and his current legacy would then be that one played with a horrible team and the other had a great team most of his career (in some years maybe the greatest team ever).....

scandisk_
03-27-2015, 10:31 AM
"Big men > " is common in the draft and Shaq is THE big guy, maybe the only big guy anybody would pick over anybody in NBA history, i mean if you cant see into the future you wouldnt know how Jordan's career (or any perimeter player) would pan out so most / if not all would pick Shaq.....

Just to put this theory into test see Jordan's actual draft class, he was picked 3rd behind two big guys (Hakeem & Bowie), so picking a behemoth like Shaq over him is obvious....

...and even if you can see into the future and see how great they would be what makes you think Jordan would ALWAYS end up with the same accolades, 6 rings, 6 fmvps, 5 mvps to become GOAT? Just a slight change in the team he ends up on compared to Shaq could turn their careers completely different at the end.... to the point where maybe Shaq could even end up higher than him on the all-time list.... it is a team game afterall, Shaq could end up with a stacked team most of his career eventually and Jordan could struggle due to playing with scrubs most of his career.... You never know...

With that being said, hopefully you now or eventually understand how bogus team accomplishments are when used to boost a guy on the all-time lists.... Jordan is the same EXACT player even if he would end up completely ringless, the only difference between that and his current legacy would then be that one played with a horrible team and the other had a great team most of his career (in some years maybe the greatest team ever).....

Agenda is so obvious... geez, you couldn't be more subtle about it. If Jordan was 2/5 (i know it's a joke) or ringless he'd be nowhere near that stature. Sure he'd contend but his case would be questioned all the time. If he kept on losing or have his ass handed to him all the time he wouldn't be THAT Jordan.

SsKSpurs21
03-27-2015, 10:53 AM
Considering Sam Bowie got drafted ahead of Jordan, think its pretty obvious who everyone would take based solely on info available at the time of drafting.

Sam Bowie was drafted because the blazers already had drexler who was basically a scoring SG like jordan.

it took jordan a few years and phil implementing the triangle for him to become airness.

Shaq coming out of college was the consensus #1. there was no doubt that he was going to be great. throughout history there are few consensus #1 picks that are unanimous and shaq was easily one of them.

Clyde
03-27-2015, 10:55 AM
Considering Shaq went #1 overall and Jordan didn't I think we can close this thread