PDA

View Full Version : DeAndre Jordan or Tyson Chandler?

T_L_P
02-13-2015, 04:41 AM
A lot of people are talking about Jordan's All-Star 'snub', but I personally don't think he's a better player than Tyson Chandler is.

DeAndre is the more athletic player and a better Rebounder, but I like Chandler more in almost every other facet of the game. He's a better passer (though he's not all that good in his own right), a more grounded and smarter defender (Jordan bites on too many fakes), he sets stronger and more decisive screens, and he's not a potential liability in the clutch.

Just for reference, here are their numbers this season:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&y1=2015&p1=chandty01&y2=2015&p2=jordade01&p3=&p4=&p5=&p6=

10.7/11.8/1.3/0.6/1.3 for Chandler
10.7/13.8/0.6/0.9/2.4 for Jordan

Also worth noting: while people are going gaga over Jordan leading the league in FG%, Chandler still has a considerably better TS% (.667 for Jordan - .714 for Chandler).

Chandler's RPM is #1 in the league among Centers (5.71). Jordan's is #6 (2.95).

What say you, ISH?

Kvnzhangyay
02-13-2015, 04:54 AM
Seeing the Dallas Mavericks with and without Chandler (2011 then 2012) has made me realize how important Tyson is

Prime_Shaq
02-13-2015, 05:05 AM
When Chandler went to the Mavs for the first time, their defensive identity completely change. Up till now I've never seen DeAndre have similar impact. I'm gonna have to go with Chandler with this one.

RoundMoundOfReb
02-13-2015, 05:05 AM
Tyson this year Deandre for future.

Magic731
02-13-2015, 05:17 AM
People need to realise Jordan has been with the Clippers for (I think) his entire career. The team has grown as Deandre has. If Jordan was capable of making that immediate defensive impact that Chandler does/did, it's not going to be as noticeable.

buddha
02-13-2015, 06:22 AM
for a season I'd take Chandler for sure.

RoseCity07
02-13-2015, 06:57 AM
I'm taking DeAndre Jordan. I actually think he is an asset in the fourth if teams want to foul him on purpose. Getting another team in the penalty is huge. If he can't make free throws then you can take him out for a couple minutes and rest him. Free throws even for a bad free throw shooter is always good.

Top Gun
02-13-2015, 06:58 AM
Chandler. Next.

unknowns8
02-13-2015, 07:06 AM
the one called Tyson Chandler.

Simples

LakersFan626
02-13-2015, 07:24 AM
When Chandler went to the Mavs for the first time, their defensive identity completely change. Up till now I've never seen DeAndre have similar impact. I'm gonna have to go with Chandler with this one.

The Mavs are still bad on defense this year, and in 2012 they were still good on defense (ODOM was a huge reason their record wasn't as good). The Clippers were good on defense the previous two seasons, when DeAndre came into his own, and are middle of the pack this year because of the slow start and players like Farmar and Hawes being very bad on defense.

They're the same type of player (inside presence with no real range on offense) though DeAndre has way more impact on his team's defense this year, as well as last year. Dallas has some bad defenders now (Barea, Parsons, Ellis, Dirk, Harris, Jefferson, Villanueva, Nelson early in the year, Felton when he plays), but had their fair share of bad defenders on the championship team as well (Terry, Barea, Dirk, Peja, Brian Cardinal). That's understandable as Chandler was drafted in 2001, so his decline should be underway now.