PDA

View Full Version : My friend says its "laughable" that I think...

Connor B
01-06-2015, 01:05 PM
...that Iman Shumpert is a good perimeter defender. I explained to him that that's exactly what he Cavs were trying to gain, and low and behold every news source in America has explained that part of the trade with exactly that logic.

His full thoughts: "The fact that you think Shumpert is good at defense is laughable...he's not good at defense. All he's good at is basic triangle offense."

Is he right, wrong, an idiot? I told him I would ask you guys.

The_Pharcyde
01-06-2015, 01:06 PM
Your friend doesn't know what he is talking about
Defense is imans bread and butter

lilteapot
01-06-2015, 01:07 PM
he's a good defender but hasn't been good this year.

Teanett
01-06-2015, 01:18 PM
Iman is a good very defender.
he does commit stupid fouls sometimes.

imdaman99
01-06-2015, 01:21 PM
Shump is a very good defender. The problem is that if you have only 1 guy on the team willing to play it, you will get burned a lot. If you put Bruce Bowen on those run and gun Suns teams, do you think he stops many people? All that needs to happen is Shump gets picked, and who is there to help defend? Amare Stoudamire? :roll:

Not that Cleveland is better defensively but I'm sure Shump is a guy you can put on D Rose in a series and make his scoring harder.

GimmeThat
01-06-2015, 01:23 PM
the triangle offense takes a while to implement until players feel comfortable having reverse sides as well as reverse sequence being ran.

Real14
01-06-2015, 01:26 PM
I really am afraid that he will do better with the cavs tho. His defense might go back to 2012 type defense:facepalm

imdaman99
01-06-2015, 01:39 PM
I really am afraid that he will do better with the cavs tho. His defense might go back to 2012 type defense:facepalm
Count on it man. I loved Shump, he was literally my favorite Knick because his defense reminded me of the 90s Knicks. Unfortunately no one else on the team is willing to play like it. He was very inconsistent on offense though, kept waiting for him to improve and become a legitimate #2 after he was the 2nd best Knick in the Pacers series. I remember how proud I was when he brought them back in Game 6 against the Pacers... but he's never been the same :(

I wish him luck though, will root for him individually but not for the team he's on :oldlol:

artificial
01-06-2015, 01:48 PM
Shumpert finished 5th in the 2012 NBA Rookie of the Year voting. (...) He was also the only rookie to receive votes for the Defensive Player of the Year award.

ACC All-Defensive Team (2011)
Took that from Shump's wikipedia entry. Anyway, Shumpert has always stood out for his flat top and his D. If anyone that watches him play was to bring up one of his strengths, most people would bring up defense first. It's probably at the top of his scouting reports.

Whether he is playing great defense right now or not I don't know, but D is his bread and butter.

In other words... your buddy is not to be taken seriously when talking about basketball.

inclinerator
01-06-2015, 02:24 PM
go nc now

dontgetchoked
01-06-2015, 04:57 PM
his defense hasn't been as good since his acl injury but still good. I feel like it might be an effort thing though. its hard to be the only good defender on a team.

bdreason
01-06-2015, 05:01 PM
I haven't really watched him play since his knee injury. He used to be a good defender.