PDA

View Full Version : Pistons undefeated since Josh Smith left

gin17
01-04-2015, 09:10 PM
and many of those games are won by wide margins. is this not the most literal meaning of addition by subtraction?

JohnFreeman
01-04-2015, 09:12 PM
I am proud of Jennings

gin17
01-04-2015, 09:18 PM
5-0 and counting

navy
01-04-2015, 09:19 PM
Jennings has been unstoppable.

keep-itreal
01-04-2015, 09:21 PM
Was he really this bad? :roll:

Sportal
01-04-2015, 09:22 PM
Happy for them. Didn't like their decision of Josh Smith in the first place. But that waive had some balls. Onwards and upwards, hopefully.

Still waiting for Drummond to explode.. I thought he was going to this year, thought he could have been a 20/15 monster, not so much... Still real young though.

gin17
01-04-2015, 09:28 PM
Happy for them. Didn't like their decision of Josh Smith in the first place. But that waive had some balls. Onwards and upwards, hopefully.

Still waiting for Drummond to explode.. I thought he was going to this year, thought he could have been a 20/15 monster, not so much... Still real young though.
Drummond has averaged 15.6 points and 17 rebounds the past two weeks (since JSmoove left).

Maybe Smoove is holding him and his teammates back; everyone in Detroit improved their numbers since he left (especially Jennings and Monroe).

sammichoffate
01-04-2015, 09:32 PM
Drummond has averaged 15.6 points and 17 rebounds the past two weeks (since JSmoove left).

Maybe Smoove is holding him and his teammates back; everyone in Detroit improved their numbers since he left (especially Jennings and Monroe).:biggums: :eek:

Milbuck
01-04-2015, 09:33 PM
Props to Dre but Jennings can still suck my dick three times.

Fire Colangelo
01-04-2015, 09:43 PM
Jennings averaging like 22/6/3 since Josh Smith left :applause:

Hotlantadude81
01-04-2015, 09:46 PM
Jennings is a street ball player with no fundamentals. He will comeback down to earth.

Detroit hasn't beaten anyone. And that includes the Kings. They have been losing even with Cousins as of late. That's what they get for firing their coach.

Rake2204
01-04-2015, 09:48 PM
Was he really this bad? :roll:Just said this in another thread but fits here too...

I can't say it enough times - I'm someone who tends to be pretty light on players and their deficiencies (ex: I defended the Ben Gordon acquisition) - but Josh Smith was playing some of the worst basketball I've ever seen on the NBA level from a player allowed to contribute as much as he was - at least from an offensive perspective.

I think this stat was thrown around a few weeks ago but... I believe I read Josh Smith's TS% with Detroit (.417) would have been the lowest in the history of the entire National Basketball Association for a player attempting at least 14 shots per game.

To give you another angle - Smith was leading the Pistons in field goal attempts by almost 70 shots, yet he was shooting 38% from the field, 24% from the arc, and 48% from the free throw line.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Rake2204
01-04-2015, 09:51 PM
Jennings is a street ball player with no fundamentals. He will comeback down to earth.

Detroit hasn't beaten anyone. And that includes the Kings. They have been losing even with Cousins as of late. That's what they get for firing their coach.Very true. That said, as someone who's seen every Pistons game this year, they're undoubtedly a different team. They were struggling against everyone this year - good, bad, mediocre. But since Smith left, they haven't just beaten teams, they haven't let anyone get within 10 points (all five wins have been by double digits).

Still, you're absolutely right. Jennings will come back down to Earth and the Pistons no doubt will be seeing plenty more struggles. This week in particular may do it. San Antonio Tuesday, Dallas Wednesday, then you guys on Friday.

ZenMaster
01-04-2015, 09:58 PM

Maybe Smoove is holding him and his teammates back; everyone in Detroit improved their numbers since he left (especially Jennings and Monroe).

The thing with NBA basketball is that you cannot win unless you have at least three 3 point shooters on the floor for the majority of the time. Having to play Drummond, Monroe and Smith many minutes together because of development and contracts was what was holding them back. It's much better for Jennings, Monroe and Drummond to have either Singler or Meeks next to them in the lineup than Smith.

Hotlantadude81
01-04-2015, 10:10 PM
The thing with NBA basketball is that you cannot win unless you have at least three 3 point shooters on the floor for the majority of the time. Having to play Drummond, Monroe and Smith many minutes together because of development and contracts was what was holding them back. It's much better for Jennings, Monroe and Drummond to have either Singler or Meeks next to them in the lineup than Smith.

No doubt that Smith caused a lot of problems and getting rid of him and giving the minutes to Meeks makes a good bit of difference for players like AD and Monroe.

gin17
01-04-2015, 11:49 PM
even if hey're just beating nobodies, at least they're winning... unlike other teams

Marchesk
01-04-2015, 11:52 PM
To give you another angle - Smith was leading the Pistons in field goal attempts by almost 70 shots, yet he was shooting 38% from the field, 24% from the arc, and 48% from the free throw line. .

:biggums:

konex
01-05-2015, 03:38 AM
Smith's exit coincides with Meeks' return. They have been missing that floor-spacing and scoring. They would probably be 5-0 with Smith still on the team

gin17
01-05-2015, 04:13 AM
Smith's exit coincides with Meeks' return. They have been missing that floor-spacing and scoring. They would probably be 5-0 with Smith still on the team
up by double digits each game? you flatter Meeks too much...

Rockets on the other hand, have lost how many since Smith joined?

T_L_P
01-05-2015, 04:16 AM
Rooting for them against us tomorrow, tbh.

Magic731
01-05-2015, 04:19 AM
Not at all. Meeks and Smith played six games together. Meeks does not have that kind of impact.

Done_And_Done
01-05-2015, 04:46 AM
You'd think after having one of the largest contracts to ever be bought out and witnessing your former team succeed in your absence after blowing balls all season would open his eyes........ Nope, still shooting 3's

Xsatyr
01-05-2015, 05:27 AM
You'd think after having one of the largest contracts to ever be bought out and witnessing your former team succeed in your absence after blowing balls all season would open his eyes........ Nope, still shooting 3's

He is attempting less than two a game on a Rockets team that loves to launch threes. He usually takes them when the shot clock is running out so it's not like he forcing anything.

Fudge
01-05-2015, 05:29 AM
You're a ****ing idiot if you actually believe this.

poido123
01-05-2015, 05:48 AM
Jesus Shuttlesworth starting to sweat a bit now :pimp:

I bet that Detroit would make playoffs 5 games ago when Smith left...

Smith was the cancer to this team and a bad fit.

Done_And_Done
01-05-2015, 06:04 AM
He is attempting less than two a game on a Rockets team that loves to launch threes. He usually takes them when the shot clock is running out so it's not like he forcing anything.

I don't care. The fact that he shoots them at all speaks to his mental inadequacy. He connects the three ball at what - a 28ish% clip if I'm not correct. The hell is he doing hugging the three point line in the dead of the shot clock anyways? The guy is a tool...

Brokenbeat
01-05-2015, 06:07 AM

:oldlol:

unknowns8
01-05-2015, 06:14 AM
Got him in my yahoo fantasy rotisserie league and the amount of low ball offers that came in for him at season start was amazing, everyone telling me to trade him trade him but I stuck firm and BOO YAAHHH he's playing some great ball and realising his place on the team, great for him and awesome for my fantasy team :)

konex
01-05-2015, 06:16 AM

You're a ****ing idiot if you believe removing one player is the sole reason for a 5-0 stretch. They have added an impact shooter and have played bad and/or injured teams. That's it..

Done_And_Done
01-05-2015, 06:23 AM
Got him in my yahoo fantasy rotisserie league and the amount of low ball offers that came in for him at season start was amazing, everyone telling me to trade him trade him but I stuck firm and BOO YAAHHH he's playing some great ball and realising his place on the team, great for him and awesome for my fantasy team :)

I'm assuming we're talking about Jennings here?

Sharmer
01-05-2015, 06:53 AM
Josh Smith will save the rockets this year. Book it.

Done_And_Done
01-05-2015, 07:03 AM
Josh Smith will save the rockets this year. Book it.

You're just completely full of shit tonight aren't you lol:lol

Sharmer
01-05-2015, 07:17 AM
You're just completely full of shit tonight aren't you lol:lol

and you're completely gullible. :lol

Sharmer
01-05-2015, 07:18 AM
Josh Smith ain't saving anybody. He's a brick artist.

:lol

Done_And_Done
01-05-2015, 07:43 AM
and you're completely gullible. :lol

I love you

Xsatyr
01-05-2015, 07:49 AM
I don't care. The fact that he shoots them at all speaks to his mental inadequacy. He connects the three ball at what - a 28ish% clip if I'm not correct. The hell is he doing hugging the three point line in the dead of the shot clock anyways? The guy is a tool...
Bc that's where he ends up in the Rockets offense at times. It's the same with D-Mo who is also a poor shooter. So if you're not watching then refrain from commenting.

unknowns8
01-05-2015, 09:47 AM
I'm assuming we're talking about Jennings here?

nope ... Drummond, the fantasy NBA beast of a centre is whom I as referring to

almost traded my #2 draft pick Jabari Parker for Brandon tho ... having Jennings and Drummond now in a rotisserie league, would be handy to have now ... hindsight 20/20 and all that shid

Meticode
01-05-2015, 09:49 AM
I'm glad to see them doing well.

Done_And_Done
01-05-2015, 11:01 AM
Bc that's where he ends up in the Rockets offense at times. It's the same with D-Mo who is also a poor shooter. So if you're not watching then refrain from commenting.

Oh I've watched plenty of Smoove in my day to know he's not worth defending. He ends up there because he thinks he's a perimeter threat, don't get it twisted. The guy couldnt decipher his strengths from his weaknesses if you spelled them out for him. But hey, keeping hoping for the best bro...

Rake2204
01-05-2015, 12:57 PM
Oh I've watched plenty of Smoove in my day to know he's not worth defending. He ends up there because he thinks he's a perimeter threat, don't get it twisted. The guy couldnt decipher his strengths from his weaknesses if you spelled them out for him. But hey, keeping hoping for the best bro...I also think an issue with him is his inside finishing ability. His best offensive asset may be his ability to finish when he has a semi-clear lane (thinking of his emphatic flush off the Harden feed in his debut). He's not great at finishing in traffic or over a defender that hasn't been clearly beat. In fact, it gets very ugly, very quickly in this regard.

Subsequently, I've had the feeling that Smith thinks he needs to draw his defender out to contest his jump shooting in order to open up the driving lanes he needs to score inside. Unfortunately for him, no one tends to care about his jump shooting, so it's often as though he's begging for a few jumpers to go down as a means getting defenders to care.

They don't.

jayfan
01-05-2015, 01:18 PM
You're a ****ing idiot if you believe removing one player is the sole reason for a 5-0 stretch. They have added an impact shooter and have played bad and/or injured teams. That's it..

Spoken like someone who hasn't followed the team at all. Meeks was back for several games prior to the Smith waiver. If you follow the team, you know that everything about that team changed when Smith left. And as soon as Smith left. But not a second before.

r15mohd
01-05-2015, 01:27 PM
Spurs and Mavs next...but definitely agree on the JSmith mentions here, he was pretty bad. Won't be surprised if he rides the pine for the Rockets for the rest of the year, maybe even cut again. :confusedshrug:

outside of the game against the Heat...he's been pretty bad for the Rockets, too

Xsatyr
01-05-2015, 01:51 PM
Oh I've watched plenty of Smoove in my day to know he's not worth defending. He ends up there because he thinks he's a perimeter threat, don't get it twisted. The guy couldnt decipher his strengths from his weaknesses if you spelled them out for him. But hey, keeping hoping for the best bro...
I don't have much hope bc I don't like Smith but I am only going bash him when it's warranted.

Heavincent
01-05-2015, 02:52 PM
He's literally one of the worst players in the league. I've been saying it since last year.

TaLvsCuaL
01-05-2015, 02:59 PM
He's literally one of the worst players in the league. I've been saying it since last year.
In your opinion He could be overrated, overpaid or in bad shape but there are lots of scrubs and players much worse than him. It's not even debatable.

Myth
01-05-2015, 03:04 PM
I want this to be a trend where teams just release well known players in hopes of addition by subtraction.

Heavincent
01-05-2015, 03:08 PM
In your opinion He could be overrated, overpaid or in bad shape but there are lots of scrubs and players much worse than him. It's not even debatable.

Let me rephrase: One of the worst rotation players.

TaLvsCuaL
01-05-2015, 03:11 PM
Let me rephrase: One of the worst rotation players.
Totally different statement. Neither is true in my opinion :lol

But maybe you have a point.

Rake2204
01-05-2015, 03:20 PM
Totally different statement. Neither is true in my opinion :lol

But maybe you have a point.In terms of players given the amount of offensive looks he had (or the amount he opted to take), I struggle to think of someone who performed worse recently in that regard (as mentioned, his TS% was on pace to be the worst in NBA history for someone with 14 field goal attempts per game or more). Again, this is a feller who had taken 68 more shots than anyone else on his team, yet he was pulling a 38%, 24%, 48% combo.

Imagine if an NBA team had told 2005 Ben Wallace that they wanted him to come in and take more shots than anyone else on the squad. Was Josh Smith's performance this year as bad as Ben's would have been in '05 if he were given the same amount of shots? No. But the fact their numbers are even ballpark similar is disturbing.

Ben in '05:

FG: .453%

3pt: .111% (1/9)

FT: .428%

The biggest difference (aside from Wallace being smart enough to virtually never attempt three pointers) is that Smith wouldn't stop believing he should be taking all the shots he was.

Heavincent
01-05-2015, 03:24 PM
In terms of players given the amount of offensive looks he had (or the amount he opted to take), I struggle to think of someone who performed worse recently in that regard (as mentioned, his TS% was on pace to be the worst in NBA history for someone with 14 field goal attempts per game or more). Again, this is a feller to had taken 68 more shots than anyone else on his team, yet he was pulling a 38%, 24%, 48% combo.

Imagine if an NBA team had told 2005 Ben Wallace that they wanted him to come in and take more shots than anyone else on the squad. Was Josh Smith's performance this year as bad as Ben's would have been in '05 if he were given the same amount of shots? No. But the fact their numbers are even ballpark similar is disturbing.

Ben in '05:

FG: .453%

3pt: .111% (1/9)

FT: .428%

The biggest difference (aside from Wallace being smart enough to virtually never attempt three pointers) is that Smith wouldn't stop believing he should be taking all the shots he was.

Yup, this is pretty much what I was trying to say, but you articulated it better than I could have.

There are worse players than Smith, but hardly anybody has impacted their team as negatively as he has in the last 2 years.

morbius
01-05-2015, 04:45 PM

OMG, Pistons are going to make the playoffs. :eek:

Done_And_Done
01-05-2015, 11:43 PM
I don't have much hope bc I don't like Smith but I am only going bash him when it's warranted.

Does the bash party begin now?