PDA

View Full Version : The Toronto Raptors: The Most Disrespected Team in the League

Koresh
12-28-2014, 03:34 PM
All I hear on TNT, ESPN, League Pass, NBA TV, Twitter, ISH, RealGM, everywhere is "OMFGLOLZ! The Chicago Bulls!" You would think the Bulls were the best team in the league, but guess what? The Raptors have been #1 in the east from the very beginning and no one talks about how amazing they are. I am tired of the disrespect. Since 2011, the Bulls have been hyped up every year like they are contenders and they are not. They always get exposed in the playoffs. Every damn year.

I am not scared of the Bulls. They need to prove to me that they can do something besides being regular season warriors. I am happy Rose is "healthy" but I don't see them winning a title. I hope the Raptors finally get the credit they deserve. The Bulls are #4 right under the Cavs but you would think the Bulls were #1 the way everyone talks about them. The Raptors are the team in the east to beat right now.

I have the Raptors and the Wizards as the top 2 in the east and then Bulls, Cavs and the Heat but you can interchange them. Things will change ASB, but this is my prediction. I haven't been proven wrong yet with the Bulls. They are stacked and versatile but so are the Raptors. Many will laugh at me for saying the Raptors are the best in the east but they are.

The Spurs in the west are not getting the same treatment as the Bulls. You hear the Warriors, Blazers, Grizzlies, Rockets and Mavs are the best not the Spurs but in the east it's the Bulls. I am tired of the hyperbole. They are good but not that good. Once ASB arrives, people will understand the Raptors are the team to beat.

I'm willing to do an Avy bet. You name the bet, I'll do it. Let's go!

navy
12-28-2014, 03:36 PM
Da Hawks. :no:

All Net
12-28-2014, 03:38 PM
Bulls have beat Raptors home and away so far fyi

VengefulAngel
12-28-2014, 03:38 PM
All I hear on TNT, ESPN, League Pass, NBA TV, Twitter, ISH, RealGM, everywhere is "OMFGLOLZ! The Chicago Bulls!" You would think the Bulls were the best team in the league, but guess what? The Raptors have been #1 in the east from the very beginning and no one talks about how amazing they are. I am tired of the disrespect. Since 2011, the Bulls have been hyped up every year like they are contenders and they are not. They always get exposed in the playoffs. Every damn year.

I am not scared of the Bulls. They need to prove to me that they can do something besides being regular season warriors. I am happy Rose is "healthy" but I don't see them winning a title. I hope the Raptors finally get the credit they deserve. The Bulls are #4 right under the Cavs but you would think the Bulls were #1 the way everyone talks about them. The Raptors are the team in the east to beat right now.

I have the Raptors and the Wizards as the top 2 in the east and then Bulls, Cavs and the Heat but you can interchange them. Things will change ASB, but this is my prediction. I haven't been proven wrong yet with the Bulls. They are stacked and versatile but so are the Raptors. Many will laugh at me for saying the Raptors are the best in the east but they are.

The Spurs in the west are not getting the same treatment as the Bulls. You hear the Warriors, Blazers, Grizzlies, Rockets and Mavs are the best not the Spurs but in the east it's the Bulls. I am tired of the hyperbole. They are good but not that good. Once ASB arrives, people will understand the Raptors are the team to beat.

I'm willing to do an Avy bet. You name the bet, I'll do it. Let's go!

Ill do a perm ban but that the Raps don't end with a top 2 record in the east.

I think the Raps are good but I still rate Chicago and Cavs above them (Lebron gets regular season wins).

shejan
12-28-2014, 03:50 PM
Raptors are good but still not contenders. I'm a raptor fan but the bulls have more talent and play a more elite game than us. They have won every matchup against us as well. I would put us at 2nd in the east. Wizards would be 3rd. Record isn't everything.

Legends66NBA7
12-28-2014, 03:52 PM
They still need DeMar back into the fold. I say that not because they are missing him that badly, but because they are going to have to take some of the burden of Kyle as the season goes on. DeMar also needs to return to his 2014 all-star form and become a smarter overall player. Look to pass it to the team as they don't need him to take too many shots.

Also, still need front court depth. I think Hansbrough is the odd man out and Casey has to start playing legit C's against bigger frontcourts. If there's a small move Masai can do, it' to find another backup C as a rental. He's already said he's just going to let the current develop.

StephHamann
12-28-2014, 03:54 PM
The Raptors lost to the Brooklyn Wheelchairs last year.

BuffaloBill
12-28-2014, 03:56 PM
Raptors are good but still not contenders.

Pretty much this

red1
12-28-2014, 04:03 PM
Bulls are the team to beat IF they can stay healthy. Gasol/noah and rose/butler will be a nightmare in the playoffs. Team does seem injury-prone though

Milbuck
12-28-2014, 04:15 PM
Bulls are the team to beat IF they can stay healthy. Gasol/noah and rose/butler will be a nightmare in the playoffs. Team does seem injury-prone though
Noah is the big hope for the rest of the conference. I don't know why but I just feel like Rose is gonna be okay this season. Maybe some nagging injuries here and there and he probably won't hit peak form, but I think he'll be good for the playoffs.

Noah is the real concern, for the Bulls. Dude has not looked good at all this season. Has flashes of old Noah but he just doesn't have it consistently this year. Lingering injury concerns, not 100% energy wise, whatever it is..I think Butler and Rose are hiding it right now but if the Bulls are gonna be the EC juggernaut people are saying they can/will be..Noah's gonna have to get healthy and get back to his old form..and I don't know if he can.

GimmeThat
12-28-2014, 04:18 PM
Their division respects them im sure

as the new #1 seed in the league, they arent nessecarily the best measurement as to where each respective teams are. Until maybe close to the asg

red1
12-28-2014, 04:22 PM
Noah is the big hope for the rest of the conference. I don't know why but I just feel like Rose is gonna be okay this season. Maybe some nagging injuries here and there and he probably won't hit peak form, but I think he'll be good for the playoffs.

Noah is the real concern, for the Bulls. Dude has not looked good at all this season. Has flashes of old Noah but he just doesn't have it consistently this year. Lingering injury concerns, not 100% energy wise, whatever it is..I think Butler and Rose are hiding it right now but if the Bulls are gonna be the EC juggernaut people are saying they can/will be..Noah's gonna have to get healthy and get back to his old form..and I don't know if he can.
I don't think they will be at full strength for playoffs either. I'm not even going to mention d-rose either, at this late stage of his career even someone like gasol is a risk-factor with those former foot injuries and all.

T_L_P
12-28-2014, 06:00 PM
They lost as a 3-6 last year.

Until they win a Playoff series with this current core they don't deserve to be called contenders. :confusedshrug:

Legends66NBA7
12-28-2014, 06:04 PM
They lost as a 3-6 last year.

Until they win a Playoff series with this current core they don't deserve to be called contenders. :confusedshrug:

They aren't contenders even if they win a playoff series. Pretty clear this team has a 2nd round ceiling, with improvement can over achieve this year.

SpecialQue
12-28-2014, 06:09 PM
Bulls have beat Raptors home and away so far fyi

Didn't the Bulls also beat the Heat in every 2011 regular season game?

Velocirap31
12-28-2014, 07:05 PM
The Bulls are legit and the biggest threat to the raptors. We've spanked the hawks twice already this year, so they can just enjoy their joke of a schedule. We're also 8 and 2 against the west, so there's that to. Not many East teams can say that. Wizards are pretty inconsistent, talented but as inexperienced as the raptors squad is. Cleveland is getting beat down by Detroit right now so I don't know what their deal is.

Basically, the Bulls are tops, Raptors are second. I don't fear anyone else, East or West.

All Net
12-29-2014, 04:44 AM
Didn't the Bulls also beat the Heat in every 2011 regular season game?
The OP was talking about how good Raptors have been in the regular season and those were two regular season games so I was just pointing that out really.

kamil
12-29-2014, 03:22 PM
Welcome to Canadian Basketball. Where all sports, especially basketball, are disrespected especially basketball.

You think teams like the Bulls getting coverage is bad? Try the Toronto Maple Leafs, where even when the Leafs are total garbage it gets 95% coverage across all media outlets and the remaining 5% is left as scrap for all other sports... despite the fact that the Raptors have had their best season in franchise HISTORY.

no pun intended
12-29-2014, 03:34 PM
Kyleastern Conference

comerb
12-29-2014, 03:53 PM
Baring injuries, the Bulls are coming out of the east and that's pretty much all there is to it. With Butler turning into a legitimate star, Pau being a double-double machine, and Rose returning to all-star form; there is nothing in the east that will even slow them down.

I was pretty hesitant at the beginning of the year because I didn't see Pau returning to form and I sure as hell didn't see Butler becoming one of the premiere SGs in the league, but having watched them for a few months now...they are simply too good of an all-around talented, well coached, and mentally tough team to lose to any of the remaining talent in the East.

The Raptors, Hawks, and Wizards are simply not championship caliber squads.

kamil
12-29-2014, 04:12 PM
Baring injuries, the Bulls are coming out of the east and that's pretty much all there is to it. With Butler turning into a legitimate star, Pau being a double-double machine, and Rose returning to all-star form; there is nothing in the east that will even slow them down.

I was pretty hesitant at the beginning of the year because I didn't see Pau returning to form and I sure as hell didn't see Butler becoming one of the premiere SGs in the league, but having watched them for a few months now...they are simply too good of an all-around talented, well coached, and mentally tough team to lose to any of the remaining talent in the East.

The Raptors, Hawks, and Wizards are simply not championship caliber squads.

As a Bulls fan I have a major problem with prophecies like this. It's like some of you guys are so sure of how things will turn out with the Bulls... they're definitely getting TOO much credit before they actually achieve what you say they will. That's the problem. It's all hard talk but at the end of the season there isn't a whole lot of follow through. Not saying the Bulls aren't capable or won't perform... but this is mostly just crap. Lemme put it this way: If the Bulls are supposed to be contenders, they wouldn't have a season record right now of 21-9 in the fvcking Eastern conference.... and I don't care if they've had injuries, that shouldn't slow down a team with what so many of you guys claim 'options' in a 'deep team'.

dontgetchoked
12-29-2014, 05:10 PM
As a Bulls fan I have a major problem with prophecies like this. It's like some of you guys are so sure of how things will turn out with the Bulls... they're definitely getting TOO much credit before they actually achieve what you say they will. That's the problem. It's all hard talk but at the end of the season there isn't a whole lot of follow through. Not saying the Bulls aren't capable or won't perform... but this is mostly just crap. Lemme put it this way: If the Bulls are supposed to be contenders, they wouldn't have a season record right now of 21-9 in the fvcking Eastern conference.... and I don't care if they've had injuries, that shouldn't slow down a team with what so many of you guys claim 'options' in a 'deep team'.

this is true. I have watched all the bulls games this season except for against the hawks, and its hard to say if we're actually championship contenders. we lost to the pacers and the celtics. True, its regular season, but we are not consistent. even when we win, often times, we let teams get back into the game, especially in the third quarter, and it is frustrating to watch.

The last 6 or so games, however, we have looked great, and a large part of that is due to derrick rose not taking 7 threes a game, and kirk hinrich getting fewer minutes. I think we will have a better picture come February. Hopefully Joakim will be better by then, and our other guys wont get hurt.

navy
12-29-2014, 05:17 PM
They aren't contenders even if they win a playoff series. Pretty clear this team has a 2nd round ceiling, with improvement can over achieve this year.
Well you might get lucky and have Cavs/Bulls implosion, who let's be honest should still be favored for the ECF. Fvck around and reach the Finals is possible. Might need a highly favorable matchup to talk about championships.

Dro
12-29-2014, 05:27 PM
I think the Raptors are pretty good and they keep winning about Derozan. But I still think the Bulls are the best team in the East. After that, its like a tossup between Atlanta, Toronto, Washington, and Cleveland.......

Real14
12-29-2014, 05:39 PM
I think the Raptors are pretty good and they keep winning about Derozan. But I still think the Bulls are the best team in the East. After that, its like a tossup between Atlanta, Toronto and Cleveland.......

Maybe so but I still think they wont make the east finals. Miami, Washington, Cleveland and Chicago would beat them in a 7 game series no doubt.

Dro
12-29-2014, 05:57 PM
Maybe so but I still think they wont make the east finals. Miami, Washington, Cleveland and Chicago would beat them in a 7 game series no doubt.
Yeah, I think they need a reliable low post scorer/defender. I like Val but I haven't seen enough of him to know if he can be a reliable low post scorer in the playoffs when the game slows down. Its a tough matchup against a team with good bigs like the Bulls and Wizards. The Cavs have Love but he's more perimeter and Miami doesn't have any low post scorers or defenders either.....

Dro
12-29-2014, 05:58 PM
I don't know how I left out Washington:facepalm I edited my post to include them......

Real14
12-29-2014, 06:03 PM
Yeah, I think they need a reliable low post scorer/defender. I like Val but I haven't seen enough of him to know if he can be a reliable low post scorer in the playoffs when the game slows down. Its a tough matchup against a team with good bigs like the Bulls and Wizards. The Cavs have Love but he's more perimeter and Miami doesn't have any low post scorers or defenders either.....
True. I don't think Val is ready. Miami have Bosh that can get hot in the playoffs too. Cavs also might get another center to replace Andy to make it harder for the competition as well. That playoffs inexperience for them is going to kill the raptors again.

GimmeThat
12-29-2014, 06:05 PM
They can be one of those experienced enough young teams. Who dont lose their lead coming out after the half from opposing team adjustments.

keantona
12-29-2014, 06:07 PM
The Raptors have been the best team in the East so far even without DeRozan for half the games, and they're much better when he's playing. They're young and well coached and they continue to improve significantly and quickly. They have great leadership and fan support and they're playing like they're on a mission (especially Lowry, who's unstoppably determined). I think they're the favourites in the East.

The Bulls are next best and could give the Raptors a hell of a series. It definitely wouldn't be a huge shock if the Bulls, stacked as they are, could pull it out, but personally I don't think they are going to be able to deny Lowry in the biggest moments this season.

It's too early to write off the Cavaliers too; they aren't anywhere near the Bulls, let alone the Raptors, at the moment but if they start to gel, with their talent level they could be an entirely different team in the playoffs.

I don't think the Hawks, Wizards or any of the others have much chance to win the East.

As for the finals, whichever side from the East makes it will likely be the underdog, but they're not going to embarass the conference, and anything might happen.

Velocirap31
12-29-2014, 06:08 PM
The Raptors are killing the entire league in 4th quarter play, so if that is any indication of experience under pressure (similar to the playoffs) as I think it is, then the playoffs might be no problem after all.

Phenith
12-29-2014, 07:16 PM
Not gonna argue against OP, but I would like to add that we have played about half our games without our only all star(ya, Lowry is obviously playing like an all star this year). The biggest flaw with this Raps team is experience... they need a year or two of consistent solid play like this to be considered legit. Teams that play team ball without a go to superstar have to prove themselves over time. They are young enough that they can just develop their core and they will be dangerous.
The east is super weak, but the Raps are 9-2 against the west so they are definitely a dangerous team. Team ball has always been underrated because it's so hard to quantify, but the Raps are playing some really nice team ball and if they can keep it up, who knows how far they could go.

ScalabrineStan
12-29-2014, 07:38 PM
This Raptors team is peaking early IMO. They have great synergy so far, but they simply aren't that talented. They are limited by things like Lowry's speed, Derozan's handles, etc. Most teams will carve them out at the PF spot.. How much better can this team realistically play?

The Bulls are head and shoulders the best team in the East with the Verajao injury. The Cavs still have LeBron James in his prime, people seem to forget/ignore that. It'll be Cavs/Bulls ECF (barring a semi-final matchup).

Toronto is right in the Atlanta, Washington, Miami tier

Magic 32
12-29-2014, 07:39 PM
Win a series and stop whining.

Real14
12-29-2014, 08:51 PM
:applause: amen.

SoCalLakersFan1
12-29-2014, 09:24 PM
Regular Season Team. Unsustainable offense is masking their mediocre defense, they'll get exposed in the playoffs.

JohnFreeman
12-29-2014, 09:26 PM
I actually agree with Magic 32 over something.

Richesly
12-29-2014, 09:28 PM
The Bulls are legit and the biggest threat to the raptors. We've spanked the hawks twice already this year, so they can just enjoy their joke of a schedule. We're also 8 and 2 against the west, so there's that to. Not many East teams can say that. Wizards are pretty inconsistent, talented but as inexperienced as the raptors squad is. Cleveland is getting beat down by Detroit right now so I don't know what their deal is.

Basically, the Bulls are tops, Raptors are second. I don't fear anyone else, East or West.

Atlanta has a joke of a schedule?

http://espn.go.com/nba/stats/rpi/_/sort/SOS

:facepalm You guys are 2 spots above us.

/thread