PDA

View Full Version : Are the Raptors legit contenders?

beastee
11-22-2014, 11:33 PM
I have watched several games and can't figure them out yet. Lowry is playing very well, but I am not sure their bigs can hang with the bulls, spurs, grizzlies and every other tough teams down low. If the Bulls stay hurt the next month, the number 1 seed could be within their grasps...what say you all, are they for real?

Velocirap31
11-22-2014, 11:36 PM
They're 11 and 2 with one of the best offenses and defenses in the nba. They're probably the deepest team in the league. We The North

beastee
11-22-2014, 11:40 PM
They're 11 and 2 with one of the best offenses and defenses in the nba. They're probably the deepest team in the league. We The North
Records in November don't impress me that much. Are their bigs good enough to get them to ecf, or even the finals? Still not sure.

navy
11-22-2014, 11:41 PM
No. Maybe next year.

Twiens
For the title? Probably not. But the East is wide open.

tontoz
Young legs. They don't have any old guys. Fast, athletic team.

They have dished out some beatdowns. I don't think any team in the east is a clear favorite over them.

Velocirap31
11-22-2014, 11:42 PM
Records in November don't impress me that much. Are their bigs good enough to get them to ecf, or even the finals? Still not sure.

Definitely their weak point, but Val is developing and I think he's a star in the making. Their bigs play good defense which is most important. Gasol killed us though, so I do fear talented opposing bigs.

Dave3
11-22-2014, 11:43 PM
For the title? Probably not. But the East is wide open.
Exactly. Still young and inexperienced, and that'll show (albeit not as much) in the playoffs again. I can see us going to the ECF, but not farther than that.

Legends66NBA7
11-22-2014, 11:45 PM
They can contend to get the ECF, but I don't they can contend for the NBA title. Would need to make some moves for front court depth and then we can talk about it.

Then again, don't a lot of people think their overrated ?

JimmyMcAdocious
11-22-2014, 11:45 PM
They can probably get to the Finals. The East is looking rather terrible right now. Even more than people thought because of Cleveland's struggles and whatever the **** is happening with Rose.

They're not beating anything coming out of the West.

stalkerforlife
11-22-2014, 11:46 PM
No.

Himan12
11-22-2014, 11:47 PM
Don't think they're contenders. How far they'll go beyond round 1, will hinge on val and his progression this year. I do think the bigs will eventually figure things out as the season runs its course.

Droid101
11-22-2014, 11:48 PM
Finals sure. And pretty much anything can happen when you get there.

WE DA NORT

coin24
11-22-2014, 11:49 PM
They can probably get to the Finals. The East is looking rather terrible right now. Even more than people thought because of Cleveland's struggles and whatever the **** is happening with Rose.

They're not beating anything coming out of the West.

This:cheers:

BurningHammer
11-22-2014, 11:57 PM
I believe this team can go beyond any Raptors teams in the past during the playoff, barring injuries.

Heavincent
11-22-2014, 11:58 PM
I remember some Raptors fans were upset last year because they weren't tanking. Hell, I even saw a few people saying they should trade Kyle Lowry for tanking purposes. I don't understand that logic. You don't just go from lottery team to contender in one year...there has to be some shit in between. Teams with that mindset usually just end up in an endless rebuilding cycle.

BurningHammer
11-23-2014, 12:01 AM
I remember some Raptors fans were upset last year because they weren't tanking. Hell, I even saw a few people saying they should trade Kyle Lowry for tanking purposes. I don't understand that logic. You don't just go from lottery team to contender in one year...there has to be some shit in between. Teams with that mindset usually just end up in an endless rebuilding cycle.
We believed they are in the tank mode BEFORE the Rudy Gay trade.

Soundwave
11-23-2014, 12:07 AM
I think they are one piece away.

JimmyMcAdocious
11-23-2014, 12:09 AM
I think they are one piece away.

Like Sheed to the Pistons type piece or something greater? Or lesser?

Completely random but Sheed would amazing on this Raptors team.

bdreason
11-23-2014, 12:10 AM
Contenders to win the East maybe.

Milbuck
11-23-2014, 12:12 AM

Sheed would be perfect.

Young Elton Brand would be filthy on this Raps team.

barkleynash
11-23-2014, 12:14 AM
They could get out of the east if they get good match-ups and maybe injury issues to the bulls. My ideal scenario would be a second round match-up with the wiz and to avoid the bulls/cavs until the east final.
Truly, they are a piece away from winning a title.
Probably won't happen till next summer. I want millsap to start at pf and amir to come off the bench behind Val.
Need to resign sweet lou, amir and chuck hayes.
Continuity is key for the raps.
They have two first rounders in 2016. If the knicks/Denver pick is top 10 they could very well package it with a player like Ross and get a star player that way. Especially if Caboclo emerges as a good rotation player it would make Ross expendable.
I'm more interested in getting somebody next year and forgetting about 2016. I don't think we can afford to swing for the fences and miss.

BurningHammer
11-23-2014, 12:16 AM

Amir Johnson is Canadian Sheed.

He learned a lot from Sheed during his rookie times with Pistons.

kamil
11-23-2014, 12:33 AM
They could get out of the east if they get good match-ups and maybe injury issues to the bulls. My ideal scenario would be a second round match-up with the wiz and to avoid the bulls/cavs until the east final.

Maybe? LOL, almost guaranteed... and I say that as a Bulls fan.

Smook A.
11-23-2014, 12:36 AM
At this point, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they made the ECF.

Heavincent
11-23-2014, 12:37 AM
Maybe? LOL, almost guaranteed... and I say that as a Bulls fan.

Yeah it's only November and their team has already been decimated by injuries.

NZStreetBaller
11-23-2014, 12:56 AM
I think thats what makes this season so interesting. there really isnt a clear cut favourite. I mean spurs are best case scenario but even they arent all that promising. i really have no clue who will win the chip this year

n00bie
11-23-2014, 01:27 AM

But can you imagine if this team had wiggins or Parker? :eek:

Legends66NBA7
11-23-2014, 01:28 AM
But can you imagine if this team had wiggins or Parker? :eek:

Would be a completely different team.

MMM
11-23-2014, 01:30 AM
they will have a top record in the east, but i dislike there best players are guards. Their bigs are lacking compared to legit title contenders and other East contenders. As exciting last season was for them having to rely on guards to score in traffic over length is not a long term winning recipe.

Their front court compared to the other east contenders

Val/Amir/Pat

Vs.

Noah/Gasol/Gibson
Gortat/Nene/Humphries
Varejao/Love/Thompson

That looks a bit challenging for them. on top of that doesn't Amir have chronic ankle problems. They really need to look at picking up a skilled big or could be a team that gets knocked out early in the east depending on match ups.

navy
11-23-2014, 01:30 AM
At this point, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they made the ECF.
Setting the bar high right there. :lol

All Net
11-23-2014, 02:10 AM
In the east without a doubt...they are good defensively and offensively and have maybe the deepest team in the east.

The best is yet to come in Toronto.