PDA

View Full Version : Charles Barkley (32pts/12rebs/10asts) vs Bulls (1993 Finals)

Nashty
11-11-2014, 01:45 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rteRllfAjWc

Round Mound
11-11-2014, 08:03 PM
:bowdown: :applause: :cheers: :rockon: :pimp:

Wish Barkley Did Not Get Elbow Injured in Game 2. The Series Might Have Gone To 7 And It Would Have Been More Exciting Than It Already Was...

kennethgriffin
11-11-2014, 08:05 PM
if only fatbutt cared about defense. could have been a top 20 player ever

NZStreetBaller
11-11-2014, 08:59 PM

If only kenneth cared about players other then kobe and lebron. could have been a top 20 poster ever.

Great performance by barkley:applause:

Round Mound
11-11-2014, 09:04 PM

He Was Above Average Defensively In His Prime.

He Might Have Not Been The Best Defensive PF But He Was Above Average, Especially In His Sixer Days Where He Was A Beast Athletically and Finished Top 7 In Defensive Rating One Year When He Had a Real Center In Moses For 1 and Half Seasons.

In His Prime He Never Had a Real Great Post Up Or Defensive Center Unlike MJ, Pippen and Grant Who Had a 7`1 Cartwright an NBA All Star Center With a Very Solid Post Up and Defensive Game

Charles Barkley: 27.3 PPG, 13.0 RPG, 5.5 APG, 1.2 SPG & 0.5 BPG
Horace Grant: 11.2 PPG, 10.3 RPG, 2.3 APG, 1.5 SPG, 1.5 BPG

*This While Playing With A Right Handed Elbow Injury (See Game 2)

bizil
11-11-2014, 11:02 PM
In 92-93, Barkley had an EPIC year winning the Gold medal as the US's most dominant player, winning MVP, and leading the Suns to the Finals. He was THE CLEARCUT 2nd best player in the world! And even though he played PF, could just as easily play SF too. Plus had a point forward skillset! Peak wise, Chuck is the best PF of all time in my book! U could of course say Duncan, but for me he's an anamoly whose primary position could easily be center. And I think u could argue Malone and KG too. But I would roll with Chuck peak wise and Duncan GOAT wise.

Round Mound
11-11-2014, 11:04 PM
In 92-93, Barkley had an EPIC year winning the Gold medal as the US's most dominant player, winning MVP, and leading the Suns to the Finals. He was THE CLEARCUT 2nd best player in the world! And even though he played PF, could just as easily play SF too. Plus had a point forward skillset! Peak wise, Chuck is the best PF of all time in my book! U could of course say Duncan, but for me he's an anamoly whose primary position could easily be center. And I think u could argue Malone and KG too. But I would roll with Chuck peak wise and Duncan GOAT wise.

:applause:

MiseryCityTexas
11-11-2014, 11:56 PM
He Was Above Average Defensively In His Prime.

He Might Have Not Been The Best Defensive PF But He Was Above Average, Especially In His Sixer Days Where He Was A Beast Athletically and Finished Top 7 In Defensive Rating One Year When He Had a Real Center In Moses For 1 and Half Seasons.

In His Prime He Never Had a Real Great Post Up Or Defensive Center Unlike MJ, Pippen and Grant Who Had a 7`1 Cartwright an NBA All Star Center With a Very Solid Post Up and Defensive Game

Charles Barkley: 27.3 PPG, 13.0 RPG, 5.5 APG, 1.2 SPG & 0.5 BPG
Horace Grant: 11.2 PPG, 10.3 RPG, 2.3 APG, 1.5 SPG, 1.5 BPG

*This While Playing With A Right Handed Elbow Injury (See Game 2)

I know he used to block a couple of people's shots a lot when he played for Philly, but at the same time, he was athletically in his prime back then also.

STATUTORY
11-11-2014, 11:57 PM
career loser

LAZERUSS
11-12-2014, 12:00 AM
career loser

What do you think of Hakeem then?

MiseryCityTexas
11-12-2014, 12:01 AM
I remember when Barkley crossed over David Robinson, and did a hop step,and then knocked down a step back fallaway three pointer over him in his prime MVP Suns year.

STATUTORY
11-12-2014, 12:06 AM
What do you think of Hakeem then?
Second most dominant player of the MJ era

LAZERUSS
11-12-2014, 12:08 AM
Second most dominant player of the MJ era

I guess getting blown out EIGHT times in the FIRST ROUND is quite an accomplishment to you, then.

STATUTORY
11-12-2014, 12:10 AM
I guess getting blown out EIGHT times in the FIRST ROUND is quite an accomplishment to you, then.
winning in the absence of MJ with a shit supporting cast is the accomplishment, the rest is just a footnote

andgar923
11-12-2014, 12:24 AM

He did play defense.

He was actually a good defender. His issue was him being usually 4 inches shorter than his man and playing in the paint. I don't care how good you are, it's impossible to stop paint players if they're taller than you with any consistency.

Having said that..

Chuck is perhaps the most under appreciated player of all time. People look at his goofy personality and forget how great he was as a player. Amazing what he did at his size.

LAZERUSS
11-12-2014, 12:27 AM
winning in the absence of MJ with a shit supporting cast is the accomplishment, the rest is just a footnote

So you consider TWO of his 18 seasons as some kind of a benchmark.

And you mentioned the fact that MJ missed the '94 title run. We do know that the Bulls went 55-27 without MJ (Hakeem's Rockets went a Hakeem career high 58-24), and that they narrowly lost a close and controversial game seven to the 56-26 Knicks, who would go on to lose a close game seven to the Rockets (in a series in which they outscored the Rockets.)

And you would be hard-pressed to find another GOAT who had the shooting help that Hakeem had in his '95 Finals. His teammates crushed Shaq's teammates, and in fact, shot a MUCH higher TS% than Hakeem did.

STATUTORY
11-12-2014, 12:30 AM
So you consider TWO of his 18 seasons as some kind of a benchmark.

And you mentioned the fact that MJ missed the '94 title run. We do know that the Bulls went 55-27 without MJ (Hakeem's Rockets went a Hakeem career high 58-24), and that they narrowly lost a close and controversial game seven to the 56-26 Knicks, who would go on to lose a close game seven to the Rockets (in a series in which they outscored the Rockets.)

And you would be hard-pressed to find another GOAT who had the shooting help that Hakeem had in his '95 Finals. His teammates crushed Shaq's teammates, and in fact, shot a MUCH higher TS% than Hakeem did.
yes I consider championships some kind of benchmark, i'm weird that way

and performance of supporting players is function of the Hakeem's play

LAZERUSS
11-12-2014, 12:34 AM
Back to OP...

A player only has so much control of the play of their surrounding cast, and the play of the opposition. In any case, Barkley was a skilled BEAST.

andgar923
11-12-2014, 12:43 AM
yes I consider championships some kind of benchmark, i'm weird that way

and performance of supporting players is function of the Hakeem's play

Which is something that Mj doesn't get enough credit for and perhaps some of us (me) annoy people with.

MJ made his teammates better by making them mentally and physically tougher. He put them in the position to be successful with and without him.