PDA

View Full Version : Michael Jordan All Block

c5terror
10-20-2014, 08:11 AM
No dunk, no lay up, no jumpshot, no steal

Although for me some were goaltend but still pretty amazing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bdw1wiBcN3k

tribute for the GOAT..
enjoy...

Elosha
10-20-2014, 09:06 AM
Nice, hadn't seen this in awhile.

andgar923
10-20-2014, 11:57 AM
Because it's inevitable.

MJ >>> BRon

Simply put, MJ attacks and blocks from everywhere, any angle, any position. MJ can block you in ways that Bron can't even stretch his body on the floor.

MJ's timing is crazy. He jumps up to block before the offensive player even thinks about shooting the ball, but what's even more impressive is his ability to not just jump before the opponent goes up for a shot, but hang in the air long enough to block it.

There's some blocks that are missing (of course, he had hundreds). But some that stood out where when he jumps up, the defender pump fakes under and MJ turns around mid air and blocks it with his off hand almost backwards. How? the agility and hang time, the reflexes, the timing, simply bananas.

MJ and Bron are statistically on par (both at career avg 0.8) but Bron only put up 1.0 block per game 3 times. And that's as a bigger player. MJ a smaller player that also played the perimeter had 4 seasons of more than 1 block, and did so at a higher rate:

Bron: 1.1/1.1/1.0
MJ: 1.2/1.5./1.6

Bron is great at chase down blocks, but it's clear that he doesn't have MJ's extremely fast jumping, reflexes and timing.

Bron is still one of the best shot blockers of all time, and one of the best defenders of his generation. But is short of MJ's blocking status.

And as Bron's career winds down, his numbers will also decrease, even tho he's a taller player.

Oh... and let's not even get into the steals department, MJ steals that with ease.

Rake2204
10-20-2014, 12:15 PM
The interesting thing about that mix to me is Michael Jordan's tendency to to block opponent's shots before they've even released the ball. It's surely a block, but it kind of looks like a strip too. It's a tough play to pull off without raking someone's wrist (or appearing to rake someone's wrist). He seemed to side-swing and sort of skim off the top there. Fascinating to watch.

Sidenote, I was amused by the manner with which MJ picked on virtually every single Milwaukee Bucks white stiff between 1989 and 1993. If you look closely, they're all accounted for in the video: Frank Brickowski, Brad Lohaus, Larry Krystkowiak, Fred Roberts, and even Jack Sikma, though I would not put him in the stiff category.

andgar923
10-20-2014, 12:23 PM
The interesting thing about that mix to me is Michael Jordan's tendency to to block opponent's shots before they've even released the ball. It's surely a block, but it kind of looks like a strip too. It's a tough play to pull off without raking someone's wrist (or appearing to rake someone's wrist). He seemed to side-swing and sort of skim off the top there. Fascinating to watch.

Sidenote, I was amused by the manner with which MJ picked on virtually every single Milwaukee Bucks white stiff between 1989 and 1993. If you look closely, they're all accounted for in the video: Frank Brickowski, Brad Lohaus, Larry Krystkowiak, Fred Roberts, Frank Brickowski and even Jack Sikma, though I would not put him in the stiff category.
:oldlol:

Good eye

j3lademaster
10-20-2014, 01:25 PM
The most impressive thing in this collection of highlights is the body control and coordination. We all know the hangtime is there, but even after MJ gets faked out in the air he has the presence of mind to locate his guy and still somehow be in position to make a play. Amazing.