PDA

View Full Version : What The Hell Happened To Evan Turner's Voice?

KingLeBronJames
10-08-2014, 07:38 PM
I just heard him talk for the first time just now right before the game against the Knicks. His voice sounds like Kane's voice box. What happened to his voice? :wtf:

JohnMax
10-08-2014, 07:40 PM
I had the same reaction the first time I heard him speak

Smook A.
10-08-2014, 07:41 PM
When he was 1, he endured chicken pox, pneumonia, asthma, and measles. The 1989 Chicago measles epidemic caused Turner to desperately need emergency room services. He encountered severe breathing problems that required the removal of his adenoids and tonsils. At the age of three, he was hit by a car, resulting in a concussion and stitches. Oversized baby teeth and an overbite caused a speech impediment that necessitated speech therapy.

Sad stuff.

Rake2204
10-08-2014, 07:42 PM
I heard someone mention his voice when discussing the mentor feature in NBA 2K15. Here's what I came up with:

Turner survived the measles but had severe breathing problems. Surgery to remove his adenoids and tonsils eventually eased the struggles, but for the first year of his life, Turner slept on his mother's chest every night because when she put him on his back in his crib, he would almost stop breathing.

Continuing through his Job-like childhood, Turner survived being hit by a car as a 3-year-old (his mother saw him flip in the air and land on his head, but Turner walked away with just a concussion and stitches).

He also struggled to speak as a toddler. Saddled with oversize baby teeth and a difficult overbite, he was capable of talking, but only his older brother, Darius, could understand him. Even Iris would turn to Darius for interpretation and translation from the boy who called her "Bobba" because he couldn't say "Momma."

"I don't know what he would have done without Darius," Iris said of her two boys' special bond.

When Evan Turner was a sickly child, his mother Iris probably didn't think she'd be watching him play big-time college basketball one day.
Intense speech therapy helped Turner, but the sting of special classes and the frustration of not being understood left Turner reserved and insecure. "I'd be yelling, 'Darius, what does he want? What does he want?' and poor Evan would get so frustrated, he'd say, "Oh, nebber minb [mimicking the way Turner spoke]."

"I'm still shy, but I'm not insecure anymore," Turner said. "I just know how to hide it better. When I was little, I just didn't like being around big groups of people. I would just go outside by myself and play basketball. It was almost therapeutic."http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?id=4683505

NBAplayoffs2001
10-08-2014, 08:08 PM
I just heard him talk for the first time just now right before the game against the Knicks. His voice sounds like Kane's voice box. What happened to his voice? :wtf:

finally went thru puberty good for him :applause: :applause:

Fudge
10-08-2014, 09:05 PM
Wasn't he diagnosed with Downs?

Cocaine80s
10-08-2014, 09:06 PM
Wasn't he diagnosed with Downs?
:durantunimpressed:

lilteapot
10-08-2014, 10:37 PM
damn he had the worst luck as a kid