PDA

View Full Version : Otto Porter

Demitri98
09-12-2014, 12:20 PM
Any news on him? I feel like he's going to grow a lot this year with Pierce mentoring him. He was kind of a dud last year, wondering if he'll do anything this year or just needs one more year to adjust.

ralph_i_el
09-12-2014, 02:15 PM
He kicked ass in summer league. He was hurt last year and playing behind two starter-level SF's. Now he'll have more opportunities, with Webster hurt and PP needing rest for the playoffs.

He really has potential to be a valuable role player. Really good midrange shooter (spot up, or off the bounce), and a decent 3 point shooter. Not a quick guy, but he has great length. Can post up and use his length to his advantage. Good on D.

Demitri98
09-12-2014, 02:19 PM
He kicked ass in summer league. He was hurt last year and playing behind two starter-level SF's. Now he'll have more opportunities, with Webster hurt and PP needing rest for the playoffs.

He really has potential to be a valuable role player. Really good midrange shooter (spot up, or off the bounce), and a decent 3 point shooter. Not a quick guy, but he has great length. Can post up and use his length to his advantage. Good on D.
I've always viewed him as a Nic Batum or Trevor Ariza type player. A do-it-all prototypical SF.

ralph_i_el
09-12-2014, 02:28 PM
I've always viewed him as a Nic Batum or Trevor Ariza type player. A do-it-all prototypical SF.

Batum is a good comparison. Ariza is significantly more athletic, and Porter is already better than Ariza off the dribble.

Legends66NBA7
09-12-2014, 02:36 PM
Any news on him? I feel like he's going to grow a lot this year with Pierce mentoring him. He was kind of a dud last year, wondering if he'll do anything this year or just needs one more year to adjust.

Don't see anything changing. Probably be below average at best.

ralph_i_el
09-12-2014, 02:51 PM
Don't see anything changing. Probably be below average at best.
If nothing changes do you mean he won't play? He barely saw the floor last year because he was hurt all preseason and half the year. Then we were fighting for playoff position so it's not like we were going to throw him a lot of minutes in the middle of the year.

Honestly, I haven't seen enough of him playing NBA competition to make a really educated opinion. No one has.

Legends66NBA7
09-12-2014, 03:04 PM
If nothing changes do you mean he won't play? He barely saw the floor last year because he was hurt all preseason and half the year. Then we were fighting for playoff position so it's not like we were going to throw him a lot of minutes in the middle of the year.

Honestly, I haven't seen enough of him playing NBA competition to make a really educated opinion. No one has.

What would change now if the Wizards are looking to have higher seeding in the standings and a potential deeper playoff push ? Rookies and second year players that aren't starting don't get that much playing time to begin with on playoff teams, unless they have significantly improved. I doubt Porter has, he'll be trying to jock for minutes between Pierce and Webster.

In order for him to really show his potential, Pierce himself would have to be out longer as well, but I doubt the coaches will do that if it means the playoffs are at stake. The Wizards are going to be in the toughest division in the East next year.

ralph_i_el
09-12-2014, 03:48 PM
What would change now if the Wizards are looking to have higher seeding in the standings and a potential deeper playoff push ? Rookies and second year players that aren't starting don't get that much playing time to begin with on playoff teams, unless they have significantly improved. I doubt Porter has, he'll be trying to jock for minutes between Pierce and Webster.

In order for him to really show his potential, Pierce himself would have to be out longer as well, but I doubt the coaches will do that if it means the playoffs are at stake. The Wizards are going to be in the toughest division in the East next year.

Webster is going to be hurt for a few months, porter played well in summer league, and now he's had an off season of practice with his team. Peirce isn't playing 30mpg, so porter will have to see time.

Southeast will be tough, but I think the central will be tougher.