PDA

View Full Version : Anybody remember Bleacher Report listing Magic as the GOAT?

Fudge
08-09-2014, 04:24 PM
:roll:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/66751-nbas-top-25-greatest-players-of-all-time

Fudge
08-09-2014, 04:28 PM
Ah no wonder. Here's a little info about the writer. AND he's a senior analyst for BR. :facepalm

I am Marcel and I am a 18 year old who lives in San Diego. I am a die hard Laker and Dodger fan. I am also the community leader of the Lakers page on Bleacher Report. I have always loved sports and in particular I follow the NBA, the NFL, and the MLB along with a little bit of college basketball and college football.
Today, my favorite athletes are Kobe Bryant, Andrew Bynum, Dwight Howard, Larry Fitzgerald, Matt Kemp, Clayton Kershaw, and Adrian Peterson. My favorite retired athletes are Magic Johnson, Hakeem Olajuwan, Kareem Abdul Jabaar, and Wilt Chamberlain. I strongly dislike the Boston Celtics, San Francisco Giants, Phoenix Suns and Boston Red Sox.

Psileas
08-09-2014, 04:31 PM
Well, I don't agree, but it's a respected choice. The guy was simply a revolutionary and a flat-out winner, without even being ultra athletic.
Russell at only #7 is a worse choice than Magic at 1.

K Xerxes
08-09-2014, 04:31 PM
This was written in 2008 and he ranked Kobe 3 spots ahead of Shaq...

Soundwave
08-09-2014, 04:34 PM
People 18 and under shouldn't be able to compile a GOAT list. They've watched one generation of basketball in their life time at best, they don't know what the f*ck they're talking about most of the time.

They're still in the "I like player X because my mom bought me his shoes and I think they're like pretty cool" phase of stupidity.

Fudge
08-09-2014, 04:40 PM
Well, I don't agree, but it's a respected choice. The guy was simply a revolutionary and a flat-out winner, without even being ultra athletic.
Russell at only #7 is a worse choice than Magic at 1.
As well as Hakeem being ahead of both Shaq and Russell.

AND, Kobe being in the Top 10 despite having 3 championships and 0 FMVP's at that point. Guess he got the hype from winning the MVP that year.

God awful list.

Kblaze8855
08-09-2014, 04:45 PM
A lot of people think/thought Magic was the greatest....

dreamwarrior
08-09-2014, 04:46 PM
18yo. no wonder i hate that site.

Smook A.
08-09-2014, 04:47 PM
A lot of people think/thought Magic was the greatest....
Yeah but to say he's better than Michael Jordan is pretty stupid, imo.

jlip
08-09-2014, 04:48 PM
Actually several people have Magic as GOAT. I've heard Tony Kornheiser from PTI say it many times. I remember reading articles where even former players called Magic the GOAT. Some people assume that the GOAT criteria that is shared by so many people on message boards like ISH is the criteria that is shared by all. It is not. Read this old post (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7623446&postcount=114) by tharegul8r.

Psileas
08-09-2014, 04:54 PM
Actually several people have Magic as GOAT. I've heard Tony Kornheiser from PTI say it many times. I remember reading articles where even former players called Magic the GOAT. Some people assume that the GOAT criteria that is shared by so many people on message boards like ISH is the criteria that is shared by all. It is not. Read this old post (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7623446&postcount=114) by tharegul8r.

Eddie Johnson, recently presenting a top-5 Lakers list, also believes Magic is the GOAT (not just among the Lakers).
The idea that Larry Bird was considered the GOAT in the mid-late 80's and then came Jordan and took this position while Magic was constantly left below is generally a misconception.

RoundMoundOfReb
08-09-2014, 04:55 PM
This was written in 2008 and he ranked Kobe 3 spots ahead of Shaq...
:facepalm

As far as Magic being GOAT - I don't think it's absurd...When you get into the top 7-8 all-time you're really splitting hairs...

jlip
08-09-2014, 04:58 PM
Eddie Johnson, recently presenting a top-5 Lakers list, also believes Magic is the GOAT (not just among the Lakers).

Yep. He said the same thing in a Sports Illustrated article years ago.
Edit: I believe it was an SI article.

Kvnzhangyay
08-09-2014, 05:01 PM
I find it hard to put someone as the GREATEST of all time if he's only elite on one side of the court...

Pointguard
08-09-2014, 05:04 PM
Magic wins five in the greatest era ever and was injuries and a bucket away from six in a shortened career. Best team player ever (his contemporary Bird has a claim here too). Best at making others better in the last 40 years, one of the greatest winners, best passer ever, best game controller ever, and you think he has no shot at number one. Sorry OP, you missed this one.