PDA

View Full Version : Jordan and Hakeem hypothetical

JohnnySic
08-05-2014, 09:32 AM
I have heard that before the '84 draft, the Blazers offered the #2 pick and Clyde Drexler to Houston for Ralph Sampson. Dont know if its true, but if so, what if Houston accepted?

They would have had both the #1 and #2 picks in the draft and could have had both Hakeem Olajuwon and Michael Jordan, with Drexler as the 3rd banana.

Could MJ and Hakeem have coexisted? Both were alpha dogs, and I somehow I doubt the Hakeem would have conceded to MJ.

How many titles could they have won?

JohnFreeman
08-05-2014, 09:34 AM
All the titles

dubeta
08-05-2014, 09:37 AM
Jordan would still be 1-9 in the playoffs if pippen wouldnt join

Jlamb47
08-05-2014, 09:37 AM
They would of won until they split, its like Kobe and Shaq but better Defense.

Roundball_Rock
08-05-2014, 10:43 AM
Assuming the chemistry worked out, it would have been lights out for the league--but you never know about chemistry (see the 13' Lakers, 04' Lakers, the Shaq-Kobe and Shaq-Penny clashes). It is true the Sampson-Portland trade was floated. I don't see Houston drafting Jordan, though, if they had Drexler (another SG). Presumably they would seek to fill the void at PF created by the departing Sampson. In theory they could have converted Drexler to a SF--but people don't realize MJ was not viewed as MJ at the time of the draft. A team wouldn't acquire a SG to convert him to a SF to make room for MJ circa 1984.

Soundwave
08-05-2014, 10:48 AM
Was Portland's front office high on LSD during this time period? What the hell was going on there? :oldlol:

Jordan + Hakeem together from day 1 alone would probably win 10+ titles. I don't even think they'd need Drexler. That would be the greatest team ever assembled.

By the time Kareem would've started age quite a bit ... lets say 87 or so, I don't see any team being capable of beating them.

Beastmode88
08-05-2014, 10:56 AM
Jordan would still be 1-9 in the playoffs if pippen wouldnt join

played vs the greatest teams in the league while lebron had to play people like bobcats and brooklyn. :roll:

Roundball_Rock
08-05-2014, 11:32 AM
played vs the greatest teams in the league while lebron had to play people like bobcats and brooklyn. :roll:

Yeah--that is the difference between playing the #7 or #8 seed and being the #7 or #8 seed. :confusedshrug:

Rocketswin2013
08-05-2014, 11:40 AM
The dominance would have been unfair. They would have been coasting to titles from '92-'98 for sure. I know for a fact they would have won at least 4 from that span. If not literally all the titles from that span. With or without Drexler.

DonDadda59
08-05-2014, 11:41 AM
Junior Year in College Jordan and Ewing was good enough to smash a team made up of NBA all stars (Magic, Isaiah, Alex English, Larry Nance)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cIIuS_BvHM

I would imagine Prime Jordan and Hakeem would massacre everything in sight. AND they could've had Clyde too. :eek:

juju151111
08-05-2014, 11:44 AM
Junior Year in College Jordan and Ewing was good enough to smash a team made up of NBA all stars (Magic, Isaiah, Alex English, Larry Nance)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cIIuS_BvHM

I would imagine Prime Jordan and Hakeem would massacre everything in sight. AND they could've had Clyde too. :eek:
Massive destruction. I don't see how they lose from 86-98.

JohnnySic
08-06-2014, 09:23 AM
Found this old article. Apparently it was Houston that turned the deal down:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/529731-what-if-jordan-hakeem-and-drexler-played-together-with-the-houston-rockets#articles/529731-what-if-jordan-hakeem-and-drexler-played-together-with-the-houston-rockets

AnaheimLakers24
08-06-2014, 09:27 AM

mj gets injured an dies. hakeem continues to choke