PDA

View Full Version : Is Anthony Davis overrated defensively or...

Smoke117
08-01-2014, 03:32 AM
are the rest of his teammates just that bad? His rookie year NO was 27/30 in defense and this past season they were 28/30 with the same exact 110.1 drating. His drating is a lot lower than his teams and the players on his team, but the fact of the matter is Hakeem Olajuwon and David Robinson were the same way...as much as -10 in drating from their teammates...so good they could actually made the TEAMS GOOD DEFENSIVELY. If Davis (a big man at that) is so good defensively...then why isn't his impact felt as far as team defense? History as shown that a great rim protector can actually hold down a defense and change so many shots by himself.

I'm not trying to diminish Davis, but I think a lot of people overrate him defensively. He's really not a guy you can just put in the paint and say "handle your business"...a lot of his blocks actually come on shot attempts when he's guarding someone or running out because his arms are so long. He may have led the league in bpg, but he's hardly a guy who protects the paint. Those long arms that people don't realize are that long are a huge reason he has so many blocks.

navy
08-01-2014, 03:38 AM
He doesnt have the positioning down yet nor does he strike fear in the eyes of offensive players.

It will come as he continues to swat more shots and get more reps.

Warfan
08-01-2014, 03:44 AM
Yes people have been overrating his defense. Hes a good defender but he is not an anchor yet. He isnt disciplined enough and he relies on his physical talents too much, but he is just a 2nd year player. I think ppl have been overrating because of his potential (which no doubt is amazing). But right now he isn't elite on that end like some might have u believe.

But the Pelicans were a mess last year defensively and a fair bit of the blame can go to Monty

RoundMoundOfReb
08-01-2014, 03:58 AM
Yes people have been overrating his defense. Hes a good defender but he is not an anchor yet. He isnt disciplined enough and he relies on his physical talents too much, but he is just a 2nd year player. I think ppl have been overrating because of his potential (which no doubt is amazing). But right now he isn't elite on that end like some might have u believe.

But the Pelicans were a mess last year defensively and a fair bit of the blame can go to Monty
this...he's above average right now but he has the potential to be something special on that end..

GimmeThat
08-01-2014, 03:59 AM
the key will be staying injury free.

because he's got the physical tools to be great defensively based on timing the opposing player.

Milbuck
08-01-2014, 04:04 AM
He isn't the same force he was at Kentucky..but that's to be expected considering the transition. He got away with being skinny in HS and college but he found out real quick that he had to bulk up. He reportedly grew a bit and put on some muscle, he's up to around 6'11" and just under 240 now. It's just a matter of maturing physically and getting used to NBA offenses. I wouldn't put too much stock into NO's defensive stats..KG has a legit argument for being the best defender of his era and his TWolves weren't top 10 defense until his 9th season.

KyleKong
08-01-2014, 04:06 AM
2014 leader in blocks.

Very overrated.

FPJ
08-01-2014, 05:21 AM
Lol, Davis is gonna be a monster in a few years.

Smoke117
08-01-2014, 07:14 AM
Bump.

SHAQisGOAT
08-01-2014, 07:23 AM
I agree with ya, the potential is definitely there though.

JohnMax
08-01-2014, 07:24 AM
Ibaka > Davis

http://i.imgur.com/nvmFcGp.jpg

russwest0
08-01-2014, 07:30 AM
He reminds me of a young Ibaka in that he's right now just a really great rim protector but not really elite at any other areas of defense.

Ibaka is the best defender in the league now in my opinion. Davis could grow into that someday, but with how much he'll be asked to produced on offense I'm not sure that it's ever a real possibility.

D-Rose
08-01-2014, 07:36 AM
He's probably going to be the 3rd best player in the league at the end of this coming season. A bit of a leap, sure but holy shit is he a superstar in the making.

GimmeThat
08-01-2014, 08:14 AM
comparing Ibaka to Davis is a little bit like comparing Ron Artest with Lebron/Pierce/Durant, Chandler with Noah.

At the very least, it won't hurt his 1st team chances.

allball
08-01-2014, 08:14 AM
watch games not stats and make a judgement

BlkMambaGOAT
08-01-2014, 08:32 AM
Overrated? Maybe. But he just finished his 2nd year, in a few years he might even rival prime KG.