PDA

View Full Version : The Rockets traded Asik, Lin, and picks... Didnt get Bosh, lost Parsons

Akrazotile
07-25-2014, 11:18 PM
:oldlol:

JtotheIzzo
07-25-2014, 11:19 PM
you just don't understand cap principles or advanced statistics.:oldlol:

bagelred
07-25-2014, 11:21 PM
They got a draft pick for Asik.

Akrazotile
07-25-2014, 11:22 PM
you just don't understand cap principles or advanced statistics.:oldlol:

Gonna have to get up to that Sloan Sports Conference one of these days, learn myself how to build a winner :pimp:

Mr Exlax
07-25-2014, 11:23 PM
Did you make a thread when we got Harden or Howard? We lost some solid role players. We got room to make a run for the top free agents. We'll end up with the same record and result as last year. I applaud Morey for shooting for the stars. What moves do you think we should have made though?

TheMilkyBarKid
07-25-2014, 11:24 PM
They'll have space for a run at Durant in 2016 right?

Akrazotile
07-25-2014, 11:25 PM
Did you make a thread when we got Harden or Howard? We lost some solid role players. We got room to make a run for the top free agents. We'll end up with the same record and result as last year. I applaud Morey for shooting for the stars. What moves do you think we should have made though?

Yall honestly should trade the **** out of Harden. Dude aint a winner.

Mr Exlax
07-25-2014, 11:28 PM
Yall honestly should trade the **** out of Harden. Dude aint a winner.

So then you got nothing? I say wait till we get a good coach. He didn't play this crappy on defense when he was with OKC cause Brooks would bench him and hold all the players accountable. Harden's still super young so the ship can and will be righted once McFail is gone. Harden should fix it himself, but honestly coaches are supposed to make players better too.

Akrazotile
07-25-2014, 11:32 PM
So then you got nothing? I say wait till we get a good coach. He didn't play this crappy on defense when he was with OKC cause Brooks would bench him and hold all the players accountable. Harden's still super young so the ship can and will be righted once McFail is gone. Harden should fix it himself, but honestly coaches are supposed to make players better too.

If he actually benched Harden youd be killing him even worse.

Coaches unfairly get blame for player shortcomings. Harden does t even try on D. Thats his fault. He barely even shows any passion or intensity on offense too. Not that you have to be demonstrative to be good but he looks like he honestly doesnt even care how the game unfolds. If he gets the ball he goes to the basket and tries to lay it in, appearing nonchalant whether he makes or miss, if he doesnt get the ball he just stands around like "ehh, whatever"

He just has a terrible attitude for a so-called franchise cornerstone. Theyd have been better off keeping the role players and trading Harden. Honestly.

qrich
07-25-2014, 11:34 PM

So by getting worse/staying even, while most of the other Western teams improved means you will be getting the same record? I mean, look at the recaps:

Houston adds Trevor Ariza, Jeff Adrien, Joey Dorsey and loses Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons, Omer Asik. Big depth loses as now only Isaiah Canaan is the only other point guard on the roster besides Beverly.

Dallas adds Al Farouq-Aminu Chandler Parsons, Raymond Felton, Jameer Nelson, Tyson Chandler, Richard Jefferson and loses Jose Calderon, Samuel Dalembert, Vince Carter, Shawn Marion. Big upgrades everywhere. Still think they should have kept Vince though.

Phoenix adds Isaiah Thomas, TJ Warren, Tyler Ennis, Anthony Tolliver and loses Channing Frye. Getting a fully healthy Bledsoe as well.

Portland adds Chris Kaman, Steve Blake while losing Maurice Williams. Kaman provides them with a good offensive backup behind RoLo and Blake is a defensive vet to replace Mo Gotti.

Nuggets added Arron Afflalo while losing Fournier and will also have a healthier Lawson, Chandler and Danilo.

Warriors got deeper with the addition of Livingston.

Memphis adds Vince Carter and Jordan Adams. Adding scoring off the bench that they greatly needed.

Pelicans added Asik while losing Aminu and should have a healthier Gordon and Holiday.

UK2K
07-25-2014, 11:42 PM
So by getting worse/staying even, while most of the other Western teams improved means you will be getting the same record? I mean, look at the recaps:

Houston adds Trevor Ariza, Jeff Adrien, Joey Dorsey and loses Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons, Omer Asik. Big depth loses as now only Isaiah Canaan is the only other point guard on the roster besides Beverly.

Dallas adds Al Farouq-Aminu Chandler Parsons, Raymond Felton, Jameer Nelson, Tyson Chandler, Richard Jefferson and loses Jose Calderon, Samuel Dalembert, Vince Carter, Shawn Marion. Big upgrades everywhere. Still think they should have kept Vince though.

Phoenix adds Isaiah Thomas, TJ Warren, Tyler Ennis, Anthony Tolliver and loses Channing Frye. Getting a fully healthy Bledsoe as well.

Portland adds Chris Kaman, Steve Blake while losing Maurice Williams. Kaman provides them with a good offensive backup behind RoLo and Blake is a defensive vet to replace Mo Gotti.

Nuggets added Arron Afflalo while losing Fournier and will also have a healthier Lawson, Chandler and Danilo.

Memphis adds Vince Carter and Jordan Adams. Adding scoring off the bench that they greatly needed.

Pelicans added Asik while losing Aminu and should have a healthier Gordon and Holiday.

Beverley was a first year starter, Jones was a first year starter, Harden was a 2nd year starter, and it was Howard's first season on the team...

But they wont improve. They cant.

Oh and Beverley missed 26 games, and played more injured. Howard missed 11 games. Harden was hurt through the first two months of the season (he shot some pretty cool one footed free throws).

Its not like the Rockets were healthy either.

Mr Exlax
07-25-2014, 11:50 PM
If he actually benched Harden youd be killing him even worse.

Coaches unfairly get blame for player shortcomings. Harden does t even try on D. Thats his fault. He barely even shows any passion or intensity on offense too. Not that you have to be demonstrative to be good but he looks like he honestly doesnt even care how the game unfolds. If he gets the ball he goes to the basket and tries to lay it in, appearing nonchalant whether he makes or miss, if he doesnt get the ball he just stands around like "ehh, whatever"

He just has a terrible attitude for a so-called franchise cornerstone. Theyd have been better off keeping the role players and trading Harden. Honestly.

We'll agree to disagree. I say bench that bitch and show him there are consequences. Again, he used to play defense.

Mr Exlax
07-25-2014, 11:53 PM

Asik didn't play that much, Parsons really didn't play defense and he got a ton of his shots off of Dwight and Harden, Lin was never used tge right way anyway. Ariza will probably put up rhe same PPG and Parsons but will be a major upgrade on defense. Add to that we've made a strong effort to become tougher and grittier and more physical team with our additions we're gonna be ok I think.

UK2K
07-25-2014, 11:55 PM
We'll agree to disagree. I say bench that bitch and show him there are consequences. Again, he used to play defense.
He played amazing D....

Check out this video edited with a slant to try and prove a point, like the 'no defense' video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oJfqcu3i1M

G.O.A.T
07-25-2014, 11:56 PM
Other than the picks, I'm not sure they'll miss much. Lin and Asik needed to go, Parsons was a nice fit, but not for 15 million. With him in the mix they were stuck with the same core for the next two seasons, probably not good enough to win a title with.

I'd be surprised if they don't win 48-55 games next year.

Eric Cartman
07-25-2014, 11:57 PM
1. Getting a 1rst rounder for Asik is smart.
2. Giving Bosh a max contract over 4 years would've ****ed up their cap space for such time for jump shooting soft pf.
3. Parsons isn't a max type player (not giving him a qualifying offer was retarded doe)
4. Jeremy Lin is a average player that can be replaced easily. Also he is in the last year of his contract. Yes he would've help but there are alot of players that can fill his role.

niko
07-26-2014, 12:04 AM
Morey acted like a dick toward his players and all the big free agents shitted on him. I don't think these two things are completely unrelated. He bragged on getting Lin, then literally spent three years trying to punish him for allowing himself to be overpaid. Finally he tossed him in the trash with a pick to get rid of him.

Free Agents see Morey for what he is, a dick. Howard gravitated toward him because Howard is also a dick and he was afraid of Los Angeles and actual pressure.

Morey crapped away two years of Howard's remaining time. Good job.

Mr Exlax
07-26-2014, 12:09 AM
I'm willing to bet FAs saw McFail as our head coach and knew they wouldn't win with him.

boozehound
07-26-2014, 12:09 AM
while they did give away some decent assets on a gamble, it doesnt really change their team that much.

Asik, while solid in the playoffs, was barely used this year (to the point where sad asik was a meme) and was beyond unhappy. Getting a pick for him is basically a wash, though he is a more impactful player than he was able to show last year.

Lin was alright, but readily replaceable IMO. Particularly when you think about the actual cash outlay (30 million!) and the cap hit, they were designed to be movable in their final year (basically bought cap relief through their structure) I do think Morey jumped the gun and should have used them as pieces to facilitate desperate trades during the season.

Losing a pick to move Lin was ridiculous. The Parsons hand was definitely mis-played by Morey, but it sounds like some agent strong arming was part of it. Oh well, hes not worth that salary and houston did a decent job of matching him with ariza (though obviously Parsons was the big shot/hot streak guy for them and had a greater chemistry role).

One thing I never quite got....
So, they did all these moves to open up 22 mil in cap space for Bosh....
And then only used ~8 mil on ariza. Shouldnt they have another 13-14 million in space to play with?

Smook A.
07-26-2014, 12:17 AM
Lost: Asik, Lin, Parsons & Trashpi
Added: Projected pick from the Pelicans, Ariza, Joey Dorsey, Jeff Adrien, Ish Smith, Alonzo Gee, Nick Johnson (Draft) and Clint Capela (Draft)

Nick Johnson looks like he's going to be a steal, and no I'm not saying that because I root for the Rockets. He has tremendous athleticism and plays his heart out by hustling and playing good defense. I feel like he was one of those draft sleepers. Our top draft pick, Clint Capela, probably won't play a lot of games since he's young and still needs to develop more. Him and Nick Johnson might go down to the d-league just so they can develop. I see both these guys being productive for us in the future, though. Especially Nick.

Now I like the Ariza signing even though it kinda hurts to lose Parsons. I think Ariza will give us good quality defense and a couple threes every night. Last season, Chandler Parsons' defense wasn't as good as it was from his rookie & sophomore seasons. Other than that, what he really did well was give us buckets. When he found his stroke, he would light it up and that was a huge plus for us. What kind of pissed me off about him was that sometimes he would go on a huge slump. Like one week he'd look like a perennial all-star and the other he would just disappear out of no where. Still a very good player, nonetheless.

I think overall from this offseason the Rockets got just a little worse, and not significantly like most people here think we did. I still feel like we can win atleast 50 this upcoming season.

fpliii
07-26-2014, 12:21 AM
I think overall from this offseason the Rockets got just a little worse, and not significantly like most people here think we did. I still feel like we can win atleast 50 this upcoming season.
Are there plans for Dwight to work with Hakeem/McHale this offseason? I know a lot of people will say he still looks robotic in the post or w/e, but I think he looked a lot more fluid and quick on his feet, and made some nice counter moves.

Given I only watched you guys like 9 or 10 times last season (in addition to the playoffs), but I think he looked better. I'm guessing last summer they focussed on fixing his footwork/rebuilding his fundamentals, so maybe they're gonna work on teaching him fakes and how to chain moves this offseason?

Akrazotile
07-26-2014, 12:21 AM
Yeah I know its not as bad as it sounds its just funny how they traded players and picks away to add bosh and then they dont get bosh AND they lose parsons.

For a minute they thought they had a quasi Big Four comin together and then all the sudden they were down to a Big Two.

Smook A.
07-26-2014, 12:26 AM
Are there plans for Dwight to work with Hakeem/McHale this offseason? I know a lot of people will say he still looks robotic in the post or w/e, but I think he looked a lot more fluid and quick on his feet, and made some nice counter moves.

Given I only watched you guys like 9 or 10 times last season (in addition to the playoffs), but I think he looked better. I'm guessing last summer they focussed on fixing his footwork/rebuilding his fundamentals, so maybe they're gonna work on teaching him fakes and how to chain moves this offseason?
Yeah I think once training camp starts, Dwight will be doing his thing with Hakeem and Kevin McHale again. Just like he did last season. Im glad we saw improvement out of him in the post. Hopefully he gets better at it.

oarabbus
07-26-2014, 12:31 AM
[/QUOTE]

Lost: Asik, Lin, Parsons & Trashpi
Added: Projected pick from the Pelicans, Ariza, Joey Dorsey, Jeff Adrien, Ish Smith, Alonzo Gee, Nick Johnson (Draft) and Clint Capela (Draft)

:roll:

He played amazing D....

Check out this video edited with a slant to try and prove a point, like the 'no defense' video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oJfqcu3i1M

He actually does have some pretty impressive blocks. Also, he gambles a lot on steals and it pays off due to his athleticism, kind of like AI. The tools are there but I'm sure you guys have played basketball with someone like Harden.

They don't play defense if they are the #1 option on the team. Ever. Look at Carmelo, it took him a decade to do more than half-ass it and play somewhat solid defense. Harden is cut from the same mold. Unless a coach holds him accountable.

Edit: Dwight was tremendous last year, I was really impressed. But no matter how you slice it losing Asik was a massive loss.

fpliii
07-26-2014, 12:34 AM
Yeah I think once training camp starts, Dwight will be doing his thing with Hakeem and Kevin McHale again. Just like he did last season. Im glad we saw improvement out of him in the post. Hopefully he gets better at it.
Looking forward to his continued development. :cheers:

I can't be a fan of his after how things ended in LA (though there's no doubt blame on both sides), but I absolutely can't fault him for going to Houston. Best decision he could've made if his goal is to become a better basketball player.

UK2K
07-26-2014, 12:44 AM
while they did give away some decent assets on a gamble, it doesnt really change their team that much.

Asik, while solid in the playoffs, was barely used this year (to the point where sad asik was a meme) and was beyond unhappy. Getting a pick for him is basically a wash, though he is a more impactful player than he was able to show last year.

Lin was alright, but readily replaceable IMO. Particularly when you think about the actual cash outlay (30 million!) and the cap hit, they were designed to be movable in their final year (basically bought cap relief through their structure) I do think Morey jumped the gun and should have used them as pieces to facilitate desperate trades during the season.

Losing a pick to move Lin was ridiculous. The Parsons hand was definitely mis-played by Morey, but it sounds like some agent strong arming was part of it. Oh well, hes not worth that salary and houston did a decent job of matching him with ariza (though obviously Parsons was the big shot/hot streak guy for them and had a greater chemistry role).

One thing I never quite got....
So, they did all these moves to open up 22 mil in cap space for Bosh....
And then only used ~8 mil on ariza. Shouldnt they have another 13-14 million in space to play with?

I think the goal is to maintain cap flexibility. They have, record wise, a similar team to last season, but the Rockets are looking to have the ability to go after a Harden, who OKC didnt want to pay, and if not next season, go after Durant in 2016.

Durant and Harden are close. Durant has always given him props. If OKC doesnt win next year, I think Durant will be eyeing free agency to move on somewhere else, and I think pairing up with Harden and Howard, and potentially Beverley and Ariza (who will still be on contract) would be enticing.

Beverley
Harden
Ariza
Durant
Howard

I think that's the end game here.

Smook A.
07-26-2014, 12:45 AM
Looking forward to his continued development. :cheers:

I can't be a fan of his after how things ended in LA (though there's no doubt blame on both sides), but I absolutely can't fault him for going to Houston. Best decision he could've made if his goal is to become a better basketball player.
:cheers:

Just got you your 4th neon bar

oarabbus
07-26-2014, 12:46 AM

Beverley
Harden
Ariza
Durant
Howard

I think that's the end game here.

The team is stacked on paper, but you're going to want a real PF to play at the 4. With Durant at the 3 and a very solid PF that team is scary.

UK2K
07-26-2014, 12:54 AM
The team is stacked on paper, but you're going to want a real PF to play at the 4. With Durant at the 3 and a very solid PF that team is scary.

That could happen.

That season, Ariza is expiring and Dwight could extend for less pay, especially since Texas has no income tax thus saving him ~11% of his contract (although the dude has like 85 kids so I think he needs the money).

Ariza would need to be traded for a PF somewhere. But yeah, that looks like the route that we're headed.

As I said before, Durant and Harden are best buddies, you see them in pictures together all the time

http://ll-media.tmz.com/2014/06/06/060614-durant-harden-leaving-3.jpg

If Durant does want to leave OKC, again given that Texas has no income tax, the chance to team up with Harden/Howard for the most money outside of OKC offering him and to play in a 'do whatever the hell you want as long as it's fast' offense is the obvious choice.