5. duncan- unselfish, maybe the greatest system player ever

who are your top 5? :confusedshrug:

Black and White
07-08-2014, 10:39 PM
Hakeem has to be top 5

mehyaM24
07-08-2014, 10:41 PM
Hakeem has to be top 5

its tough. duncan has better longevity but hakeem was the better peak player and generally had crap for teammates. im ok with bumping duncan for hakeem though.

who are your top 5?

T_L_P
07-08-2014, 10:41 PM
When I asked you to explain how Duncan was a system player before you said it was because Shaq had better stats.

So is that still the case, or have you finally decided exactly what that system is? If it's the latter, could you describe it?

An example of a system is the Triangle by the way, just for reference (in case you want to say Duncan being supplemented with great talent is the system itself, which of course would be wrong).

:cheers:

Spaulding
07-08-2014, 10:42 PM
Hakeem has to be top 5

So fix OP list then?

Would have to take out Timmy if you wanted Hakeem in there. Though Hakeem is easily 6.

mehyaM24
07-08-2014, 10:43 PM
When I asked you to explain how Duncan was a system player before you said it was because Shaq had better stats.

So is that still the case, or have you finally decided exactly what that system is? If it's the latter, could you describe it?

An example of a system is the Triangle by the way, just for reference (in case you want to say Duncan being supplemented with great talent is the system itself, which of course would be wrong).

there's already tons of threads on the spurs' system including one i made a few days ago. please dont derail my thread.

who's your 5?

Black and White
07-08-2014, 10:43 PM
So fix OP list then?

Would have to take out Timmy if you wanted Hakeem in there. Though Hakeem is easily 6.

Well isn't Duncan listed as a PF? That solves it.

T_L_P
07-08-2014, 10:44 PM
there's already tons of threads on the spurs' system including one i made a few days ago. please dont derail my thread.

who's your 5?

Link to the thread?

Also, how is questioning specific parts of your thread derailing it? I didn't think you could write something more stupid, tbh.

inclinerator
07-08-2014, 10:44 PM
mehmet okur

the mesiah
07-08-2014, 10:49 PM
5.yinka dare
4.rasho nesterovic
3.michel olawakandi
2.dasagna diop
1.greg oden
END THREAD \

Spaulding
07-08-2014, 10:52 PM
Well isn't Duncan listed as a PF? That solves it.

Well there you go. I'll take that. Let's not hijack thread over top 5 PF though.

mehyaM24
07-08-2014, 10:52 PM
Link to the thread?

Also, how is questioning specific parts of your thread derailing it? I didn't think you could write something more stupid, tbh.

there is a thread about this on the front page. i dont get what you want.

would you say bumping duncan from the top 5, for hakeem, seems reasonable?

T_L_P
07-08-2014, 10:55 PM
there is a thread about this on the front page. i dont get what you want.

would you say bumping duncan from the top 5, for hakeem, seems reasonable?

So a system that's been in place for about 3 years is the system Duncan has been a part of his whole career?

LeBron Stan logic. :oldlol:

:facepalm

How hard is it to explain the system from 97-11? That's all I want. Should take you thirty seconds.

Black and White
07-08-2014, 10:58 PM
Well there you go. I'll take that. Let's not hijack thread over top 5 PF though.

Nah lets not, so I'll go:

1. Kareem
2. Russell
3. Shaq
4. Wilt
5. Hakeem

Cowboy Thunder
07-08-2014, 11:00 PM
http://www.thelostogle.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Bryant-Reeves.jpg

2 of the top 5 in one pic :bowdown:

mehyaM24
07-08-2014, 11:07 PM
about hakeem. we know he won TWO rings after turning 31 (one of which was against shaq and the other against patrick ****ing ewing). would you guys consider that his peak?

its kinda weird seeing somebody play at his best...in his 30s

Hands of Iron
07-08-2014, 11:25 PM
about hakeem. we know he won TWO rings after turning 31 (one of which was against shaq and the other against patrick ****ing ewing). would you guys consider that his peak?

its kinda weird seeing somebody play at his best...in his 30s

Don't forget he absolutely ruined David Robinson in the WCF who was the MVP that season in addition to All-D 1st Team and a former DPOY himself. It was one of the greatest playoff series in NBA history.

To address the other part of your post, a big reason for that was due to Don Chaney failing to properly utilize the immense individual talent he had in Olajuwon in favor of offensive balance even if Houston didn't have the pieces to run it effectively. Way too many outside shots from their perimeter players and too many possessions on the offensive end not involving Hakeem. Rudy Tomjonavich changed this Immediately upon taking over, ran the offense through Olajuwon and allowed him to carry them and let his skills flourish. For his part, Olajuwon rededicated himself as a leader, teammate and player coming out reinvigorated in 1992-93 after a tumultuous season the previous year in which he was injured and fought publicly with the Rockets front office; he made marked improvements in his passing as well and Houston was finally putting effective shooters around him that he could pass out of doubles to.

Demitri98
07-08-2014, 11:32 PM
Kareem
Russell
Wilt
Shaq
Hakeem

in that order.

Duncan is still a PF on all time lists tho

stalkerforlife
07-08-2014, 11:36 PM
1. Kareem
2. Shaq
3. Hakeem
4. Walton
5. Malone

GimmeThat
07-09-2014, 12:11 AM
1. kareem- insane prime, goat longevity, most unstoppable shot in nba history
2. russell- greatest winner, defender and genius in team sports
3. shaq- most dominant player ever, arguably the best peak in league history
4. wilt- greatest regular season player ever
5. duncan- unselfish, maybe the greatest system player ever

who are your top 5? :confusedshrug:

considering both ends of the court as well as career

Kareem/Russell
Duncan
Shaq
Wilt/Hakeem

Russell retired after about 11-12 seasons, so Kareem definitely gets the nod here. I don't know Russell's style of play would have permitted him to average rebounds in the 20s once more and more younger players entered into the league. However, Kareem on the offensive end was something that could always do your team some good.

Duncan gets the nod over Shaq because without ever having another shot blocker much in his career, he's been effective in stopping forwards from their dribble penetration. Not so much guards who's had the agility to dribble pull up and shoot. i.e. why I think Kobe has been more effective against him, than the likes of Durant/Lebron.

I think Shaq got discounted here because he sort of switched teams quite too often later on in his career. While later on in his stint with the Lakers, teams "may" have figured out an effective way to stop him. (i.e. they 3 peated, then had another 2 years which they didn't win) But I think that by switching teams, he never really gave teams much of an opportunity to help build the front court around him to counter what the league is doing in terms of stopping him. I wouldn't count getting Zo out of retirement as "building" around him nessecarily, since Zo is a great player in his own right. But when you think of a big who's been more effective without having another elite big for their career. It's hard not to let Duncan's 5 rings trump Shaq.

my list will probably get scrutinized for placing too much emphasis on winning the last game of the season.

Ass Dan
07-09-2014, 02:33 AM
http://www.thelostogle.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Bryant-Reeves.jpg

2 of the top 5 in one pic :bowdown:

Big C*nt Tree

dubeta
07-09-2014, 02:45 AM
Centers are the most stacked position, 5 of the top 10 all time are Centers.

Heck when you look at the top 10, its 5 Centers, 1 PF, 2 SF, 1 SG, 1 PG

Really shows that size wins championships above everything

Fun fact, Jordan is the shortest player in the top 10 at 6'6

GimmeThat
07-09-2014, 02:48 AM

and people say I overrate AI because of his ability to win without a dominant offensive big.

Hands of Iron
07-09-2014, 02:56 AM

Even the lone PG was a 6'9 phenom with freakish athletic abilities and the PF could be confused for a 5. Jordan did more at 2-guard than anybody in NBA history has any business doing.

RoundMoundOfReb
07-09-2014, 03:00 AM
1. Russell
2. Kareem
3. Wilt
4. Shaq
5. Hakeem

T_L_P
07-09-2014, 03:02 AM
1. Kareem
2. Russell
3. Shaq
4. Hakeem
5. Wilt

GimmeThat
07-09-2014, 03:04 AM
Even the lone PG was a 6'9 phenom with freakish athletic abilities and the PF could be confused for a 5. Jordan did more at 2-guard than anybody in NBA history has any business doing.

name me another 6'6 player in history that was more athletic and stronger than Jordan.

LAZERUSS
07-09-2014, 10:45 AM
No other center dominated his HOF peers, in both the regular season, and POST-SEASON, as much as Wilt dominated his. And a PRIME Chamberlain was LIGHT YEARS better than his HOF peers (Bellamy, Reed, Thurmond, and Russell.)

GimmeThat
07-09-2014, 10:53 AM
No other center dominated his HOF peers, in both the regular season, and POST-SEASON, as much as Wilt dominated his. And a PRIME Chamberlain was LIGHT YEARS better than his HOF peers (Bellamy, Reed, Thurmond, and Russell.)

true.

I wonder if Wilt's opposing team components that of outside the Center position was really scared of going up against him though.

LAZERUSS
07-09-2014, 10:56 AM
true.

I wonder if Wilt's opposing team components that of outside the Center position was really scared of going up against him though.

They must have been, since most all of them were swarming him throughout his career. Even Russell's TEAMMATES have acknowledged that they were using their entire TEAM to stop him.

LeBird
07-09-2014, 12:54 PM
Kareem
Russell
Wilt
Shaq
Hakeem

in that order.

Duncan is still a PF on all time lists tho

TBF, I consider Duncan a C. But I think your list is more or less right.

jayfan
07-09-2014, 12:57 PM
So fix OP list then?

:facepalm

jayfan
07-09-2014, 01:02 PM
1. Kareem
2. Hakeem
3. Wilt
4. Russell
5. Shaq

pauk
07-09-2014, 01:11 PM
In terms of accolades:

1. Russell
2. Kareem
3. Duncan
4. Shaq
5. Hakeem

In terms of Individual play/talent/skills/productions:

1. Wilt
2. Shaq
3. Kareem
4. Hakeem
5. D.Robinson

GimmeThat
07-09-2014, 01:19 PM
They must have been, since most all of them were swarming him throughout his career. Even Russell's TEAMMATES have acknowledged that they were using their entire TEAM to stop him.

I persoanlly am more annoyed when the opposing team scores off of our great defensive scheme. - because it happens

while more freightened about going up against a defender knowing the opportunity/ability for me to score is diminished greatly. - because if I got my teammates, it shouldn't happen

riseagainst
07-09-2014, 01:21 PM
1. Kareem
2. Russell
3. Shaq
4. Hakeem
5. Mikan

Honorable mention at 6: Wilt

ralph_i_el
07-09-2014, 01:23 PM
no love for The Admiral :cry:

tontoz
07-09-2014, 01:59 PM
No Howard? :confusedshrug:

j/k :oldlol:

LBJ4MVP23
07-09-2014, 02:01 PM
Wilt - Shaq - Kareem - Hakeem - Duncan (in no particular order)

If Duncan is not a true center, then replace him with Russel.

LBJ4MVP23
07-09-2014, 02:02 PM
As an aside, D Rob is right after that top group for me. So underrated.

Back in Hakeem's time before he dream shook him, not a single analyst was calling Hakeem better than DRob, but its amazing how winning a ring suddenly makes someone a better player to idiots who cant rank players based on output, but on rings won. Hakeem is slightly better than DRob for me, but its not a huge margin.

kshutts1
07-09-2014, 02:52 PM
name me another 6'6 player in history that was more athletic and stronger than Jordan.
Vince Carter?
Corey Maggette, but he is only 6'5 and maybe not more athletic.
Barkley, but again.. shorter than Jordan.

Anyway, five greatest Centers are..
1: Kareem
1: Russell
1: Shaq
1: Wilt
5: Hakeem

Duncan is a PF. And he's not a "system player" at all. Exact opposite. He has thrived in multiple offenses, multiple "systems". He has, however, benefited HUGELY from stability of organization and teammates. I guess I can see how someone could very easily use the wrong word and call that "system".

DatAsh
07-09-2014, 03:16 PM
For me:

1. Russell
2. Kareem
3. Wilt
4. Duncan
5. Shaq