PDA

View Full Version : Rondo for Parsons sign&trade

Aidz
06-28-2014, 09:40 PM
With Parsons opting out, Houston has 3 options:

1. Let him walk
2. Match any offer and keep him.
3. Use him in a sign and trade

Parsons + Terrence Jones (or a pick) for Rondo.

Houston can then keep Harden or trade him for Melo. Either way they've got a big 3 and a pass-first point guard that makes Dwight happy.

Meticode
06-28-2014, 09:45 PM
Parsons didn't opt out. The team declined his option for 2014-2015 making him a restricted free agent. They can match any offer a team makes to him.

Smook A.
06-28-2014, 09:45 PM
I love Parsons and I'll be pretty down if he leaves but if we find a way to trade him for Rajon Rondo then I'll be pumped

I guess the Rockets can do Chandler Parsons + The pick Pelicans gave us or Jeremy Lin for Rondo. That'd be good.

Aidz
06-28-2014, 09:53 PM
They can match any offer a team makes to him.

I already said that.

Aidz
06-28-2014, 09:56 PM
I guess the Rockets can do Chandler Parsons + The pick Pelicans gave us or Jeremy Lin for Rondo. That'd be good.

I don't know why Boston would want Lin. He has one of the worst back-loaded contracts in the NBA. They're about developing young players right now. Lin just cuts into Smart's minutes.

I'd rather get a 1st round pick.

Meticode
06-28-2014, 09:57 PM
I already said that.
I know, you said he opted out though, which he didn't. The team decided not to pick up their option.

ballup
06-28-2014, 10:00 PM
No. Need all 3 to be enticing value wise, but having Parsons when Green is around is problematic. Same with Terrance Jones and Sully.

Meticode
06-28-2014, 10:06 PM
There's been rumors the Cavs might possibly go after Parsons. I'd rather they try to look at centers. Gortat being the best on the market. Privately the Cavs feel Wiggins will start right away at SF, but they want a back-up plan if Waiters and Irving can't work out together, ten they'll just move Wiggins to SG if they brought in Parsons.

I'd much rather have it workout and have a trio of Wiggins, Waiters and Irving playing together if they can work as a team.

hawksdogsbraves
06-28-2014, 10:08 PM
Parsons is overrated.

Plus you just signed James Young to essentially be the same player.

Meticode
06-28-2014, 10:12 PM
Parsons is overrated.
I'm not saying he is or isn't, but I noticed people say this a lot. Why are they overrating him? What's so overrating about him?

Smook A.
06-28-2014, 10:12 PM
Parsons is overrated.

Plus you just signed James Young to essentially be the same player.
Overrated? Lol

He just finished his 3rd season and averaged 16.6 ppg, 5.5 rpg and 4 apg on 47% shooting. He's far from overrated if you ask me.

Meticode
06-28-2014, 11:35 PM
I wish I could understand why he's overrated. He barely made over $900,000 last season, he's improved every year he's been in the league and last year he averaged 16.6 PPG, 47% FG, 37% 3P%, 5.5 RPG, 4.0 APG, 1.2 SPG on a team that has the ultimate ball stopper of Harden.

UK2K
06-28-2014, 11:46 PM
They only declined it to take his pay off the cap.

Once they sign whatever FA, Parsons will accept another offer and Houston will match it.

All part of the plan.

bdreason
06-28-2014, 11:48 PM
I wish I could understand why he's overrated. He barely made over $900,000 last season, he's improved every year he's been in the league and last year he averaged 16.6 PPG, 47% FG, 37% 3P%, 5.5 RPG, 4.0 APG, 1.2 SPG on a team that has the ultimate ball stopper of Harden.

He'll be overrated when some team tries to pay him 12m per year.

And Boston can get more than Parsons for Rondo. Knowing Ainge he's looking for multiple 1st round picks.

Aidz
06-28-2014, 11:50 PM
IMO Rockets made a mistake in exercising their team option.
They could've kept Parsons on low salary for another year.
What happens if another team offers him 15m? If Rockets match it they've lost 15m cap space. Parsons was going to get a big offer this year or next year (when he's an URFA). Either way, if Houston wants to keep him they'll have to pay big. I'd rather 1 more year on the cheap and then take my chances next year when he's an UNRFA. Exercising the team option basically says they really want him to stay and will match any offer. What happens if Suns offer 15?

Edit: Not saying the Suns will; I just meant any team with cap space.

Aussie Dunker
06-28-2014, 11:55 PM
Rockets receive: Rondo + Smith (Smith and Rondo are bum buddies, Smith and Dwight are BFF - would make them all very happy)

Pistons receive: Parsons (The true SF Pistons need, and allows Dre + Moose frontcourt to develop)

Celtics receive: Harden (The marquee superstar to build the franchise around moving forward)

b1imtf
06-28-2014, 11:58 PM
Rockets receive: Rondo + Smith (Smith and Rondo are bum buddies, Smith and Dwight are BFF - would make them all very happy)

Pistons receive: Parsons (The true SF Pistons need, and allows Dre + Moose frontcourt to develop)

Celtics receive: Harden (The marquee superstar to build the franchise around moving forward)
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Aidz
06-29-2014, 12:03 AM

Houston give up Parsons and Harden and get back Rondo and Smith.

Good one, mate.

Now kill yourself.

Aussie Dunker
06-29-2014, 02:02 AM

Good one, mate.

Now kill yourself.

So much hate through a keyboard = cheer up, mate - was just a humble opinion...

My thinking is - Rondo and Harden are fairly close when both fully healthy (in my humble opinion) - both are borderline top 5 players in the league when at the peak of their powers.

Now Parsons and Smith is interesting. Smith is the better talent, but Parsons would seem to compliment star players better... Considering Rondo and Dwight both have close connections with Smith, it isn't all that far fetched... Houston would significantly improve in both interior and perimeter defense - and be a lot better on the fast break.

I will say however that Pistons do this in a heart beat, Celts do this in a heart beat (if they think Rondo isn't in their future plans) but Houston is the only team that would have to think long and hard about this...

Just a humble opinion, not that it will ever happen mind you -

stalkerforlife
06-29-2014, 02:28 AM

Good one, mate.

Now kill yourself.

:biggums:

Aussie Dunker
06-29-2014, 02:49 AM
The only thing I can see is they would have no shooters. Josh Smith and Dwight Howard will be the only scorers on the team, with no perimeter shooters.

This is true - which is the only reason I would be hesitant to pull the trigger... You would be counting on Rondo's ability to true the defense and find open players for easy shots...

brantonli
06-29-2014, 03:11 AM

His defence has gone downhill since his rookie season though, which is a genuine concern.

brantonli
06-29-2014, 03:16 AM
IMO Rockets made a mistake in exercising their team option.
They could've kept Parsons on low salary for another year.
What happens if another team offers him 15m? If Rockets match it they've lost 15m cap space. Parsons was going to get a big offer this year or next year (when he's an URFA). Either way, if Houston wants to keep him they'll have to pay big. I'd rather 1 more year on the cheap and then take my chances next year when he's an UNRFA. Exercising the team option basically says they really want him to stay and will match any offer. What happens if Suns offer 15?

Edit: Not saying the Suns will; I just meant any team with cap space.

You need Parsons to accept that 15m first, and I'm sure the Rockets have a *wink-wink* nod with Parsons telling him to hold up on the free agent signings, letting Houston nab a star FA first, and then resigning him. Also, no team is going to screw itself over by offering 15 million (they will be too busy chasing other free agents, and what if Houston doesn't match? Then that team is stuck with a good but ridiculously overpaid player).

By declining, the Rockets show good faith to Parsons by letting him earn his money sooner (rather than delay another year), get the ability to match, and if some team is silly enough to offer 15 million, then they can also let him walk.

ZMonkey11
06-29-2014, 04:00 AM
I already said that.

I'll go ahead and reiterate you said "opted out" which is not the same.

UK2K
06-29-2014, 06:00 AM
You need Parsons to accept that 15m first, and I'm sure the Rockets have a *wink-wink* nod with Parsons telling him to hold up on the free agent signings, letting Houston nab a star FA first, and then resigning him. Also, no team is going to screw itself over by offering 15 million (they will be too busy chasing other free agents, and what if Houston doesn't match? Then that team is stuck with a good but ridiculously overpaid player).

By declining, the Rockets show good faith to Parsons by letting him earn his money sooner (rather than delay another year), get the ability to match, and if some team is silly enough to offer 15 million, then they can also let him walk.
This.

I dont think Houston would decline his option unless they had a good feeling about landing someone.

If they do get someone, Parsons waits to accept a deal, then Houston matches, and in the mean time the 2m roughly he was owed comes off the payroll.

Free up cap space, sign a FA, match Parsons offer. He knows Houston will pay him, it just has to be AFTER they sign a FA.

KingPush
06-29-2014, 06:01 AM
Wtf is Rondo going to do with Harden?

They forced Lin to come off the bench because they dont need a playmaker. They need a pg who can shoot and defend

BlackWhiteGreen
06-29-2014, 06:11 AM
We could get worse value, really. Can Motiejunas play centre?

FlawlessVictory
06-29-2014, 07:59 AM
We could get worse value, really. Can Motiejunas play centre?
No he can't. A stretch 4 with some upside. Fairly redundant given the Celtics roster.

As for the idea, I'm not hating it from a Celtics pov. There is a few players on the Celtics roster the Rockets would be interested in... Rondo, Green and Bass. As for the Celtics, they would like Parsons, future picks and maybe the Rockets draftee from this year.

I really like Parsons but not to the tune of 15 mill a year. I'd be comfortable with a 4 year 44 million deal.

Core components of the deal:

# Rockets sign and trade Parsons to the Celtics for 4 years 44 million.
# Rockets also include Capella, future pick/s and maybe Jones/Monte who the Celtics can flip
# Lin would probably have to be included for salary matching purposes (I could be wrong though?) Horrible deal but it's only one year and the Celtics might do it to dump Greens longer term deal
# Boston sends Rondo and Jeff Green to the Rockets

=====================

Rondo/Bev
Harden
Green
Jones
Howard

Smart
Young
Parsons
Sully
Olynk

Much improved Rockets roster. Celtics would be fairly rubbish this year but has some good long term potential and loads of future picks to build with.

ralph_i_el
06-29-2014, 09:07 AM
Parsons didn't opt out. The team declined his option for 2014-2015 making him a restricted free agent. They can match any offer a team makes to him.
This

The like him so much they opted out of the team option so they can pay him sooner and he won't have a chance yo leave unrestricted

UK2K
06-29-2014, 10:44 AM
This

The like him so much they opted out of the team option so they can pay him sooner and he won't have a chance yo leave unrestricted

That and they can X his salary off the books, freeing up another million in cap space until AFTER they sign their FA's

Aidz
06-29-2014, 12:03 PM
so basically teams can go way over the cap if they're simply matching an offer?
houston goes from 900k to 10-15m over the cap after they sign a free agent and then give parsons his deal?

How long is this loophole going to last?

UK2K
06-29-2014, 12:13 PM
so basically teams can go way over the cap if they're simply matching an offer?
houston goes from 900k to 10-15m over the cap after they sign a free agent and then give parsons his deal?

How long is this loophole going to last?
Its called bird rights...

You cant do that signing a FA, but you can to resign your own players.

hawksdogsbraves
06-29-2014, 12:54 PM

Ok overrated isn't necessarily the right term.

I think he's going to get overpaid on this next deal, which will make him overrated. He's a decent wing, but a wing that can do everything but defend is still very limited in value in this day and age.

He can make 3's, drive, make plays in transition, but if Wes Matthews can torch you, your value is not as high as the stats would have it appear.

NJW1247
06-29-2014, 01:02 PM

Good one, mate.

Now kill yourself.

seems pretty equal to me, salary probably doesnt match up tho

UK2K
06-29-2014, 01:21 PM
^^^^^^^

That is a terrible, terrible trade.

Terrible.