PDA

View Full Version : James McAdoo

MannyO
06-26-2014, 11:19 PM
Did he go back to school? I know his stock fell off the face of the earth but dam.

Cocaine80s
06-26-2014, 11:20 PM
couldve went top 10 freshmen year.

1st round sophomore year.

Comes back for junior year and might go undrafted :facepalm

stalkerforlife
06-26-2014, 11:21 PM

And you still have people telling these kids playing more college ball will only help them.

:facepalm

MannyO
06-26-2014, 11:24 PM

I don't think I've ever seen a lottery pick benefit from staying another year in college.
Every year after freshman year = stock drop
McAdoo's stock dropped, exponentially. I mean I haven't even heard people mention his name once.

Rubio2Gasol
06-26-2014, 11:24 PM
Kid got married :lol

Anyway, he'll make some money somewhere.

MannyO
06-26-2014, 11:32 PM
Kid got married :lol

Anyway, he'll make some money somewhere.

Oh wow. Good for him then

KG215
06-26-2014, 11:37 PM
McAdoo is a tweener forward with no jumpshot, a very limited back to the basket game, is a TERRIBLE free throw shooter, and has AWFUL touch around the basket. He's a great athlete and has a pretty good motor, but he had no business foregoing his senior year.

hawksdogsbraves
06-26-2014, 11:52 PM
This is why you DON'T go to UNC if you're a top NBA prospect.

KG215
06-26-2014, 11:53 PM
This is why you DON'T go to UNC if you're a top NBA prospect.
Yeah, UNC almost never produces high draft picks. They all come to UNC and go to shit. Would really explain UNC's lack of success.

IGotACoolStory
06-27-2014, 12:31 AM
Please, if anything UNC prospects get selected higher than they should. Particularly high level post prospects, they all get drafted not just in the first round, but the lottery. Tyler Zeller being the one exception. He went 17th.

IIRC, McAdoo is only the second player to leave school early and not get drafted in the first round. Jeff McInnis is the only other I can remember.

The problem was the hype for him. He noticeably improved every single year in college. He matched up against some lottery picks (Len and Randle, off the top of my head) and thoroughly outplayed them. But when you are deemed a next great prospect and you don't live up to the hype, it doesn't matter what good you do.

The guy played out of position at the 3 as a freshman with limited playing time. Then out of position at the 5 as a sophomore. In his last two years, he never played with a legitimate UNC-level center. If you watched his game and just understand how Roy Williams' system works, you would understand why that is important. To make things worse, McAdoo has an unusal skillset for UNC post player and he really needed a back-to-the-basket presence to help him out. He never got one in his 2 years of actual playing time. He had one as a freshman and played very well when he got the playing time (I think both tournaments when Henson was injured. McAdoo played next to Zeller).

He's a good basketball player who came into an unfortunate situation for him. Between having to play out of position for the better of the team, surprise early entries from his teammates, and some other stuff, it was near the worst situation possible for him short of injuries. Which he also had back injuries hampering at the end of his sophomore year.

Honestly, he's really not all that different from Aaron Gordon right now. The biggest difference is one left before he had the chance to get exposed.

I feel I should add that I don't think McAdoo and Gordon are the same level prospect. McAdoo did get exposed. Gordon left before he could have... Or perhaps he would flourish. The situations after their freshman years are analogous was my reason for the comparison. Along with that they are similiar players.

noob cake
06-27-2014, 04:28 AM
Please, if anything UNC prospects get selected higher than they should. Particularly high level post prospects, they all get drafted not just in the first round, but the lottery. Tyler Zeller being the one exception. He went 17th.

IIRC, McAdoo is only the second player to leave school early and not get drafted in the first round. Jeff McInnis is the only other I can remember.

The problem was the hype for him. He noticeably improved every single year in college. He matched up against some lottery picks (Len and Randle, off the top of my head) and thoroughly outplayed them. But when you are deemed a next great prospect and you don't live up to the hype, it doesn't matter what good you do.

The guy played out of position at the 3 as a freshman with limited playing time. Then out of position at the 5 as a sophomore. In his last two years, he never played with a legitimate UNC-level center. If you watched his game and just understand how Roy Williams' system works, you would understand why that is important. To make things worse, McAdoo has an unusal skillset for UNC post player and he really needed a back-to-the-basket presence to help him out. He never got one in his 2 years of actual playing time. He had one as a freshman and played very well when he got the playing time (I think both tournaments when Henson was injured. McAdoo played next to Zeller).

He's a good basketball player who came into an unfortunate situation for him. Between having to play out of position for the better of the team, surprise early entries from his teammates, and some other stuff, it was near the worst situation possible for him short of injuries. Which he also had back injuries hampering at the end of his sophomore year.

Honestly, he's really not all that different from Aaron Gordon right now. The biggest difference is one left before he had the chance to get exposed.

I feel I should add that I don't think McAdoo and Gordon are the same level prospect. McAdoo did get exposed. Gordon left before he could have... Or perhaps he would flourish. The situations after their freshman years are analogous was my reason for the comparison. Along with that they are similiar players.

Cool story, care to post one about Barnes also?

Lebron23
06-27-2014, 06:45 AM
I can see the heat or spurs inviting him in their summer league roster.

MiseryCityTexas
06-27-2014, 06:58 AM
Did he go back to school? I know his stock fell off the face of the earth but dam.

Always felt this guy was overrated. I remember Slam magazine was all over this man's ******* in his senior year of highschool.

DStebb716
06-27-2014, 07:46 AM
McAdoo, Patric Young and CJ Fair all went undrafted after being told they'd benefit from more school.

MiseryCityTexas
06-27-2014, 08:02 AM
McAdoo, Patric Young and CJ Fair all went undrafted after being told they'd benefit from more school.

Them white folks just didn't want to see them succeed.:oldlol:

wakencdukest
06-27-2014, 08:03 AM
And you still have people telling these kids playing more college ball will only help them.

:facepalm

He had 3 years to prove himself and didn't do shit. If he got drafted to your team 2 years ago he'd still be doing jack shit and you'd be calling him a bust.

Lebron23
06-27-2014, 08:13 AM
His uncle is one of the Heat's assistant coaches. He might get an invitation in their summer league roster.

I remember this kid was projected a a top 3-5 pick in his draft class a couple of years ago.

hawksdogsbraves
06-27-2014, 10:26 AM
He had 3 years to prove himself and didn't do shit. If he got drafted to your team 2 years ago he'd still be doing jack shit and you'd be calling him a bust.

Yeah but at least he would have gotten paid

HurricaneKid
06-27-2014, 10:31 AM

W. T. F?

7 of the first 10 players taken in the second round last night were early declared players.

Seriously one of the dumbest things I've heard say here.

HurricaneKid
06-27-2014, 10:39 AM
Smart would probably have gone #1 last year. Taken 6th this year.

Anyone that thinks you can develop as much in college with all their massive responsibilities to school, boosters, etc as the NBA where you have one on one coaching every day...

Its an idiotic notion. People just want their guys to stay at their school.

rufuspaul
06-27-2014, 11:58 AM
The draft is all about potential. If scouts haven't seen a player play that much then he will probably become overrated because his value will be potential. Stay in school and scouts can watch a player over several seasons and 2 things happen: 1. The player's flaws become more exposed 2. The player loses potential value because the scouts can follow their development or lack of it. It sucks. There's no reason for any good player with potential to stay in school. In the end it hurts both the college and the pro game.

STATUTORY
06-27-2014, 12:01 PM
Them white folks just didn't want to see them succeed.:oldlol:

legit feel bad for these kids, drank the koolaid and now they need to subsisting on welfare

D-FENS
06-27-2014, 01:09 PM

Young and Fair will be solid pros. McAdoo, I'm not so sure. He needs a system. I thought the Heat should have grabbed him. He could benefit from having his "uncle" around and playing against LeBronze daily.

D-FENS
06-27-2014, 01:13 PM
One way to fix the draft is to not allow teams to stash picks in Europe. These draft spots are taken, and sometimes the player never comes over, see: Fran Vasquez. That's costs a college player their spot in the draft, and then they have to try and make it onto a team as a free agent, losing a lot of money in the process.

IGotACoolStory
06-27-2014, 01:40 PM
W. T. F?

7 of the first 10 players taken in the second round last night were early declared players.

Seriously one of the dumbest things I've heard say here.

Of North Carolina players... Obviously the premise of my entire post was dedicated to defending against ignorant hatred towards the school. Thought the context was clear in the meat of the post and by which post I quoted. Also by the example; ie, Jeff McInnis (went to UNC). My fault if it wasn't.

Anyway, I have always been on the "go get your money" side of this argument. I supported Kendall Marshall leaving even though I had a feeling his game wouldn't translate to the NBA. It was the highest his stock would ever be, unless he suddenly grew 6 inches over night or became extremely athletic. McAdoo was told he would unlikely be drafted by the coaching staff and he felt it was time to go. More power to him and I hope he manages to prove himself on a summer team, if not he will make nice money in Europe somewhere.

As I stated before, he actually made strides over his career. If he didn't come in with the unnecessary hype, he would be considered a sleeper pick at this stage of his career.

When McAdoo was a freshman, I am rather sure he airballed more shots than he made. His defense wasn't good either, granted he was guarding perimeters guys a lot. That's how poorly he played most of the year until the tournament.

As a sophomore, he was a given a much larger role on an unusual team and his flaws and strengths were magnified because of the situation. Out of position once again. Flaws: he has practically no post game, he is turnover prone, needs space to operate, below average-average jump shooter. Strengths: Versatile defensively, good passer, potential off the dribble if he has space to operate.

Then last year, he refined what he showed as a sophomore. He severely cut down his turnovers, he was the best defender on the team and one of the best in the conference, he had games where he could not miss his 15-17 foot shot, and I believe he had the best free throw rate in the conference. The problem with the last point is that he couldn't make them, but at least he got there at an incredible rate. He also turned up his motor to the next level mid-season. It was always good. It was great for the latter half of the season.

That progression with his physical tools and he would be thought of differently if he wasn't "supposed" to be better. That's all I'm saying. I have seen the other end (no hype, progresses through the years with good physical tools) and less talented players have been drafted. David Noel, is a great example. He was a football recruit, played sparingly until his senior year, blew up, had the best combine showing, and ended up early in the second round. McAdoo is better than him. Hubert Davis is another, if you want another legacy recruit example. I thought he would be cut as a freshman and he ended up with a nice long NBA career.

MannyO
06-28-2014, 12:30 AM
He went undrafted. Im more surprised CJ Fair didn't get picked up.