PDA

View Full Version : Boston Celtics talking to Cavs about acquiring Number 1 Pick

hipballinjigga
06-24-2014, 08:53 PM
A league source has told CSNNE.com that the Celtics have engaged the Cleveland Cavaliers about acquiring the No. 1 overall pick in Thursday's NBA draft. While no deal is imminent, Boston's pursuit of the top overall pick speaks to their desire to indeed create "fireworks" in a draft that took a step back in terms of luster at the top following the navicular bone fracture to Joel Embiid's right foot. If the Celtics were able to secure the top overall pick, they are expected to choose between Andrew Wiggins and Jabari Parker, arguably the top two players in this draft although multiple sources indicate Boston would lean more towards Wiggins than Parker.

http://www.csnne.com/blog/celtics-talk/source-celtics-interested-no-1-pick

Of course every team is contacting the Cavs about the pick. However this is interesting seeing how many assets the Celtics have (mainly picks) to trade. They can also absorb salaries.

hawksdogsbraves
06-24-2014, 08:56 PM
Well Rondo doesn't fit in Cleveland, and the Celtics don't have any young guys the Cavs would want, so I don't see how this could work :confusedshrug:

Nash
06-24-2014, 08:58 PM
this draft, free agency and trades will make for an epic summer of player movements.

hipballinjigga
06-24-2014, 08:59 PM
Well Rondo doesn't fit in Cleveland, and the Celtics don't have any young guys the Cavs would want, so I don't see how this could work :confusedshrug:

Picks 6 & 17, Two future 1sts & Green for their Number 1 and whatever salaries they want to drop on the Celtics would work with their trade exception

hawksdogsbraves
06-24-2014, 09:01 PM
Picks 6 & 17, Two future 1sts & Green for their Number 1 and whatever salaries they want to drop on the Celtics would work with their trade exception

Are you allowed to trade four first round picks at once like that?

That would be nuts.

I feel like the Cavs want to win now though, and this trade wouldn't help them do that unless they're somehow shedding enough salary to bring in LeBron + Melo. Which would be insane.

NumberSix
06-24-2014, 09:02 PM
Apparently every good player in the NBA is going to Cleveland.

outbreak
06-24-2014, 09:03 PM

That would be nuts.

I feel like the Cavs want to win now though, and this trade wouldn't help them do that unless they're somehow shedding enough salary to bring in LeBron + Melo. Which would be insane.
you can't do consecutive picks isn't it? So the future picks would have to be like 2016 and 2018 i think. The first 2 are fine because one is acquired by trade.

AboutBuckets

Inb4 Cleveland 10-peat :bowdown:

outbreak
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2014/4/14/1397502051306/Salt-011.jpg

Black and White
06-24-2014, 09:04 PM
Our deal isn't better than Orlandos deal, unless they want a ton of picks in years to come.

hipballinjigga
06-24-2014, 09:06 PM

That would be nuts.

I honestly don't understand the draft / trade rules enough to know. I think the shedding salary is the exact reason as to why they would want to do this trade.

If they want to make a big play the Celtics are a team to dump salary on while being benefited at the same time.

Also, if they decide to just give up on the Lebron/Melo dreams they can go in another direction by building to their team for a playoff run while grabbing future assets in the process.

outbreak
06-24-2014, 09:06 PM
Our deal isn't better than Orlandos deal, unless they want a ton of picks in years to come.
you never know what's actually been offered though, for all we know orlando's deal is all bullshit or they got stuck on other points.

hipballinjigga
06-24-2014, 09:07 PM

Player wise the deal with Orlando is a million times better. But in the NBA it is all about future picks so they might have a play here.

hipballinjigga
06-24-2014, 09:08 PM
you can't do consecutive picks isn't it? So the future picks would have to be like 2016 and 2018 i think. The first 2 are fine because one is acquired by trade.

That's good to know because I never had a clue. haha

LoneyROY7
06-24-2014, 09:09 PM
I'm good with any of these trades as long as Wiggins doesn't end up in Cleveland.

Derka
06-24-2014, 09:51 PM
Willing to bet Danny put in a call to Lebron's agent, too.

This is what GMs do: call each other and ask about making deals.

ballup
06-24-2014, 09:58 PM
Talk always happen. Close to finalizing, now there's the juicy stuff.

D-Rose
06-24-2014, 10:08 PM
I don't see why Cleveland does this b/c they don't need Rondo and they don't need more draft picks.

BUT it would make more sense that this would be a 3 way deal, some other team gets BOS' assets and CLE gets a big player.

I really doubt this one more than others mentioned.

Shade8780
06-25-2014, 09:07 AM
I'd rather keep Rondo and make a risky pick at #6 with Embiid, the best prospect in the Draft, than play it safe with Wiggins and Parker and lose Rondo and a lot of valuable future picks.

GimmeThat
06-25-2014, 09:25 AM
every team to the Cavs

"lets us rob you"

lilgodfather1
06-25-2014, 09:31 AM
If the Cavs had solid "unoficial" word that James was heavily leaning towards them, and was bringing Carmelo, then it makes a lot of sense to use #1 to get rid of Jack, and Varejao. Essentially would cut the cap down by 10 million this season, from 34 (I think) to 24, and would allow them the ability to offer the full max to LeBron, and only have to trade a small piece to S&T for Melo.

If there is no word, I say forget about it.

CelticBaller
06-25-2014, 10:15 AM
do it

gilbert is an idiot

russwest0
06-25-2014, 10:17 AM
all of these rumors are so dumb and they happen every single year yet the number one pick never gets traded

All Net
06-25-2014, 10:23 AM
all of these rumors are so dumb and they happen every single year yet the number one pick never gets traded
Normally because teams want to know the most they can get.